Start by marking “Minding the Body, Mending the Mind” as Want to Read:
Minding the Body, Mending the Mind

Minding the Body, Mending the Mind

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A national bestseller, fully revised, and with a new introduction
Published November 1st 2007 by Da Capo Press (first published January 21st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Minding the Body, Mending the Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minding the Body, Mending the Mind

Linda
This is an extreme beginner's guide to meditation and stress reduction. I listened to the audiobook, read by the author. She sounds like she's reading, too, and it made it somewhat annoying. I prefer real books, but due to a retinal tear, I can't read for a while, and this was on my wishlist.

For someone totally unfamiliar with the material she presents, this book contains some powerful techniques and ideas. For those who have a grasp of fundamental ideas going into the book, this will not offer
Natasha
I was fortunate enough to hear the author speak and and meet her afterwards at her book signing in Santa Fe on 4/14/09.
Highlights of the book for me:
When the body's inner wisdom is obscured by inattention through worry, the result is similar to having the appetite dulled by sweets:We can't hear the prescription of the inner healer.

We rarely see things for what they are. Instead, we see the reflection of our own past conditioning.

Don"t make any appointments and you won"t have any disappointments
Page
This book is convincing in its premise that the power of the mind over one's health cannot be underestimated. It helps one to analyze what thoughts affect us for good or bad. Many examples help clarify how to correct faulty thinking and live a better quality of life.
Charity
I'm not much of a fan of self-help books. I find myself reading them, but I criticize them the entire time I'm reading. In this one, though, I found little to criticize. It's one of the best introductions to meditation I've read. It's practical and applicable to most situations. I also found that it helped me be patient with myself while learning the art of meditation, which I think is key for me to keep practicing.

One of my only complaints is about some minor inconsistencies within the text (eg
Jaci Riley

I read this book mainly for work. It's a new age kinda book but does have some interesting side stories about the author and her patients. If your interested in learning about meditation or how the state of mind can affect the state of the body, this is an easy place to start. If you enjoy great little quotes, this book is full of them hidden within the text. For example: "The more we try to control life the less control we have.. . . . The block to letting go in the moment is fear-lack of faith
Becky
Book for Blue Mesa. I really liked this. Very approachable, and looks at what our minds can do. Another book to help me better understand mindfulness.
Very useful for those who experience muscle spasms or tightness during anxiety.

Wonderful depictions and easy how-to explanations.
Elizabeth Svercl
I read this book after hearing the author speak at a conference I attended. I started it and read 2/3 that first evening and got up early to finish it the next morning. I loved it and told many people about it and have bought copies for people who expressed a need. I also purchased copies of all the other books Joan has written. I loved them all. I highly recommend this book and any of the others by this author.
Marilyn
I liked the book, but some parts were boring. Had some great idea's and quotes. One of my favorite quotes from the book is: "You may not get what you want. Real wisdom comes in loving what you get. And all of us will die, regardless of our druthers. The death rate has always been the same: one per person. But it's not so much about when you die as how you live."
Vicki
Well-timed read. Those are the best. When a book comes along just when you need it. Like the teacher appearing when you need to be taught. I learned a lot from this book and will probably read it again, or at least sections of it. The breath work is effective for mediating stress.
Pamela
Fabulous book on the mind body connection based on her own experience and work with patients. Practical exercises are provided to begin a "relaxation response" practice, or meditation practice that is not tied to any religion.
Karen
This book introduced me to breathing exercises and simple meditations, which have helped me effectively cope with stress levels at work, when necessary. Being mindful of one's breathing is a powerful tool for relaxation.
Olivia Gourlay
I think this book is a wonderful resource for using your own psychic powers. This is a new age book. The goddess is important to many new age religions. To learn about the goddess go to www.yoni.com
Elizabeth
Hers is a personable voice: reasoned, sane, wise, kind. And PRACTICAL. There are simple exercises that she lays out clearly. Manna for the aging and tired.
Nilchance
Covered the same material I read in Full Catastrophe Living, so this was mostly a skim.
Janis Davies
One of the original foundational books about the mind-body connection.
Aimee Jackson
Profound and life-changing. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
Karen
I was surprised that this book gave such a thorough guide to meditation.
Anna
Mom's paperback copy. Not sure when I read it, but it was long ago!
Martine
Great read on wholistic health (mind, body and spirit).
Sally L.
Just begun, but like her language and premises.
J
Time to read this one again.
Sandi Kay
Excellent, nuff said.
Sarah Pearsall
So far it is really good!
Kiraheupel
Kiraheupel marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Liz Jansen
Liz Jansen is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2015
  • The Sedona Method: Your Key to Lasting Happiness, Success, Peace and Emotional Well-being
  • The Triple Bind: Saving Our Teenage Girls from Today's Pressures (Hardcover)
  • The Power of Resilience: Achieving Balance, Confidence, and Personal Strength in Your Life
  • Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-By Step Lessons
  • Choosing ME Before WE
  • The Purpose of Boys: Helping Our Sons Find Meaning, Significance, and Direction in Their Lives
  • A Resilient Life: You Can Move Ahead No Matter What
  • Peace, Love and Healing: Bodymind Communication & the Path to Self-Healing: An Exploration
  • The EFT Manual
  • I Can Read You Like a Book: How to Spot the Messages and Emotions People Are Really Sending with Their Body Language
  • Potatoes Not Prozac
  • The Four Levels of Healing: A Guide to Balancing the Spiritual, Mental, Emotional, and Physical Aspects of Life
  • Toxic Friends: The Antidote for Women Stuck in Complicated Friendships
  • Emotional Sobriety: From Relationship Trauma to Resilience and Balance
  • A Mythic Life: Learning to Live our Greater Story
  • Yeah Dave's Guide to Livin' the Moment: Getting to Ecstasy Through Wine, Chocolate and Your iPod Playlist
  • The Resilience Factor: 7 Keys to  Finding Your Inner Strength and Overcoming Life's Hurdles
  • Happy: Simple Steps to Get the Most Out of Life
This distinguished pioneer in integrative medicine is a world-renowned expert in the mind/body connection.
More about Joan Borysenko...
A Woman's Book of Life A Woman's Journey to God Fire in the Soul: A New Psychology of Spiritual optimism Fried: Why You Burn Out and How to Revive Pocketful of Miracles: Prayer, Meditations, and Affirmations to Nurture Your Spirit Every Day of the Year