Start by marking “Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards, #7)” as Want to Read:
Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards, #7)

Wizard's Holiday (Young Wizards #7)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  4,855 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Rest and relaxation--that's what Nita thinks she's going to get when she and her partner-wizard Kit go on a wizardly "cultural exchange" program. But nothing about wizardry--not even vacation--is ever quite that simple!
Published June 1st 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Wizard's Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wizard's Holiday

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Wizard and Witching Books
79th out of 180 books — 136 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonThe Giver by Lois Lowry
YAsaves
435th out of 442 books — 274 voters

More lists with this book...

Victoria
This has to be my favorite of the Young Wizards series, although others come close. The premise, the story, the characters, the places; everything Duane did fantastically in her other books gets stepped up a notch.

While Kit and Nita's journey was strange and eye-opening (and seeing the depths of the Lone One's ambiguous deviousness was fun--especially as a girl this time!) But it has to be admitted; it was the events with the foreign exchange wizards back on Earth that stole the show.

I like watc
Joan
This was different in some ways. It was nice to see Dairinne being smacked down by the planetary wizards. And by her coworkers. However, while her ego may have been cut down some, I don't think it affected her basic self confidence. Nita and Kit are sent off on a "holiday" that of course, turned out to be anything but an actual holiday .Dairinne's wizardly guests turned out to be just different enough to drive her nuts....she had to stop one in all innocence from eating part of their house and l ...more
Rob
Nov 02, 2011 Rob rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
I think this marks the point where the series, or perhaps Nita and Kit themselves, begin to mature. Before I begin the spoiler part of this review, I'll say this much: nobody gets a holiday. Bet you'd never guess that

(view spoiler)
Luann
This series just gets better and better. Diane Duane has some pretty deep things to say about entropy and choice which I found very interesting and will continue to ponder. Most fantasy series don't go this deep while still staying this entertaining and enjoyable to read. I also enjoyed going back and forth between Nita & Kit's story with Quelt on Alaalu and Dairine's story at home with Sker'ret, Filif, and Roshaun. I don't always enjoy books that go back and forth between two different stor ...more
MB
A re-read to prep me for new book coming out soon. I tend to forget just how good Diane Duane's "Young Wizards" series is! Highly recommended for all children and young adults who like to read fantasy.

(I personally think this series is better than Harry Potter and almost on par with Dianne Wynne Jones. Be sure to start with the first one So You Want to Be a Wizard and to read them in order.)
Julie Decker
After the events of the last few errantry assignments, Nita, Kit, and Dairine are pretty exhausted. Dairine decides to apply for a wizard's vacation without permission and gets grounded to the solar system; she can't go outside our little circle of planets. Bummer! but Nita and Kit (and the dog Ponch!) are accepted to go, and they're sent to the lovely world of Alaalu, where people are tall and sunburned-looking and the entire planet is basically a beach. Nita and Kit make their plans and get to ...more
Erin
My favorite out of the series by a honking mile--not that the others are bad, this one is just that good. It's not often when the A and B plots are almost equally as enjoyable, and the balance here is phenomenal (though I confess to liking Dari's story a bit more than Nita's, simply because I prefer--and relate to--Dari better than Nita). And the Sun Prince? Hoo-yeah.

**Wizard's Holiday, rated 14+, rated 5/5 stars.
Kit
Vicki (The Wolf's Den)
Nita's ready for a vacation. A real vacation this time. Not something forced on her by her parents or The Powers That Be. At least Spring Break has arrived. Two whole weeks off from school, with nothing but voluntary wizardry to take up her time. Still, even that might be nice to get away from...

Good thing Dairine has done her research. Apparently there's a sort of Wizard Exchange-Program in place so that wizards can witness other species' techniques of wizardry without having to deal with the L
Lis Carey
The latest in the Young Wizards series. Dairine, Nita, and their father are all still coping with the death of Mrs. Callahan in a previous book, and not doing it all that well yet. Dairine signs herself and Nita up for a wizards' cultural exchange program, unfortunately without first consulting Nita, their supervisory wizards, or their father. When the truth comes out, Mr. Callahan and the senior wizards ground Dairine. Nita and Kit go off on the cultural exchange program, while Dairine stays ho ...more
John Kirk
The title is obviously a reference to "Busman's Holiday", the idea being that people ostensibly go away on holiday and then wind up doing the same thing that they'd do at home. That's slightly unfortunate for the characters, but good for us as readers.

This book introduces several new characters, but it works well: they all get enough time to stand out and become memorable. There are also 2 plots going on, with a thematic link but no real interaction between them.

(view spoiler)
Mariah
Note: this is the 7th in the Young Wizards series
Nita, Kit and Dairine are hoping for a break from the craziness of their lives. Dairine signs up for a wizardly intergalactic exchange program- Kit & Nita head for the planet Alaalu, while 3 wizards come to stay at with Dairine & her father. But this turns out to not be as much of a vacation as they'd hoped. Nita & Kit relax on the peaceful planet, getting to know the friendly family they stay with. But they slowly begin to realize tha
Sarah Wagner
Nita and Kit embark on a holiday on another planet after they are signed up for a wizardly exchange program by Nita's sister. On a peaceful, oceanic planet with a few islands, Nita and Kit are prepared to relax, but all is not as it appears in their topical paradise. Nita's sister Dairine also finds adventure at home in the form of three visiting alien wizards who turn out to be more trouble than she bargained for. Fun reading!
Angela
Nita and Kit take part in a wizard exchange program. It's supposed to be just fun, and a learning about other planets experience. Meanwhile, Nita's family have to cope with 3 alien wizards. There's quite a lot of humour early on in this book, and I particularly liked the culture clashes with the 3 wizards. As always a serious threat looms and they have to solve it or at least persuade someone else to. A good read.
Liz
So this one is marked as read before on Shelfari, but I'm almost positive this was my first read. These books fell off my radar at some point and I just never got around to finishing the series, well, catching up, really.

Anyway, another fine offering by Diane Duane. I like the fact that the books still feel innovative and fresh, even after such a long time and a somewhat repetitive story arc (though much better than most of fantasy).

I also find it interesting that they're moving towards cliffhan
Colleen
This might be the single most laugh-out-loud funny Young Wizards book. This book is ultimately a moment of lightness in the series between several much darker books, by design -- the plot revolves, in fact, around the characters finally 'taking a break.' Except, as wizards, you're never really NOT on duty... the title derives from the term Busman's Holiday, which, as the characters note by the end of the book, is an ironic one.

What work they do, though, is incidental to the largely-idyllic exper
Rhiannon
This book was really fun and refreshing after the previous two. Other planets, a return to previously explored locations, new fun characters. If this had been entirely about Dairine and her kooky alien friends, I would have rated it higher. Sadly, Nita and Kit's vacation in paradise was pretty boring to me.

But there should be rules about ending on big cliffhangers! As in, people either shouldn't do it, or there should be a warning about it beforehand. (i.e. "Reader beware! You will feel all anxi
Marissa
Another wonderful addition to the Young Wizards series! The wizard's cultural exchange program provides an opportunity to meet many new fascinating wizards from across the universe. Kit and Nita receive an opportunity to help another world with the Lone Power, while Dairine, initially disappointed to have the travel taken away from her, gets to host three other wizards who need to be introduced to the planet Earth. Revelations about the world that Kit and Nita find themselves on provides Duane w ...more
Victoria
There's definitely a correlation between how much I like a book, and how much I was trying to avoid something else while I was reading it. Despite that factor, I think this stands as one of the better books in the series, with secondary characters to rival those in the earlier books and a plot that does justice to Nita, Kit AND Dairine. There were a few loose ends that I would have liked to see tied up - what were Tom, Carl, and the other senior wizards up to?? - but otherwise, a tour de force i ...more
Edwin Kort
De twee kinderen, Kit en Nita, gaan op een twee weken durende 'excursie' naar een andere planeet. Gelijktijdig komen er 3 'aliens' tijdelijk naar de Aarde.

Het lijkt er op dat de verhalen steeds beter worden.
Hyzenthlay
No, THIS one's my favourite.
Cecil
One of these days I'm going to reread the whole series in order again and write full reviews...
I remembered this as being my favorite Young Wizards book so I decided to dip in and reread it quickly but, honestly, I had to mark it down from 4 to 5 stars because of the Alaalu half of the book. I really like everything with Dairine and the alien exchange students but the parts that focus on Nita and Kit are just not as good.
Scurra
It's easy to see that this is essentially the warm-up act for the next one Wizards at War.

From the Choice story on an alien world to the always funny "culture shock" of the alien wizards on Earth, this doesn't put a foot wrong. And after too long out of the limelight, Darine gets a fun storyline with clear long-term ramifications.
Lorelei
Sep 21, 2010 Lorelei rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lorelei by: Zechy
Shelves: childrens, sf
This book started *really* slowly for me. About a third of the way in it stopped feeling like I was waiting for something to happen already. Then it was a quick delightful read, but to a disappointing ending. So far this is the only book in the series that didn't seem to end quite right. If you are reading the whole series, then don't skip it certainly, and it's okay, but I wouldn't recommend it if you are just picking it up on it's own.
Kiirsi Hellewell
At first I was so weirded out by a walking, talking Christmas tree wizard and a giant centipede...but once again, Diane Duane takes these seemingly-ridiculous/unbelievable characters and makes them so real that by the end of the book, I cared deeply about them and the rest of the characters, both at home and on other worlds. Great book! The stuff where Nia and Kit were was particularly interesting.
Jon
Still as good as ever, and definitely the most morally sophisticated of the Young Wizards books so far. If I haven't sold somebody on this series yet, I'm not going to now!
Jose
Everything was going well until a weird alien tree, giant centipede and a lankly humanoid appeared in Nita's back yard. Talk about foreign exchange aliens. Nita and Kit have wizards from other planet coming to visit for "holiday" But of course the lone power always has something up its sleeve to throw at our hero's.

Definitely worth reading for any Young Wizards fan!
Jen
I'm still making my way through this series and I'm still enjoying them.

This book has a slightly different tone than the last couple. It deals with themes of understanding other cultures and doing something not because you have to, but because it needs doing. I think both the themes got developed well and didn't have the preachy tone that could have happened.
Angel
This entire series is phenomenal. Children wizards but definitely each one has a great moral to the story. Fantastic characters and definite character development through the series. This one and the first two are my favorites in the series so far (so you want to be a wizard book1)(deep wizardry book2)
I especially like the alien foreign exchange students!
Jessi B
Oh the memories! I loved all the aliens in this book. F'lif(spelling!?) was adorable- that is, if a Christmas tree with a baseball cap can be adorable... I really liked the little paradise-beach-planet that Nita and Kit visited... that was pretty rockin'. I didn't really like Prince Rohan or whatever his name was... he was a pretty sucky character.
  • Cold Fire (The Circle Opens, #3)
  • Conrad's Fate (Chrestomanci, #5)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Dark Quetzal (The Echorium Sequence, #3)
Diane Duane has been a writer of science fiction, fantasy, TV and film for more than thirty years.
Besides the 1980's creation of the Young Wizards fantasy series for which she's best known, the "Middle Kingdoms" epic fantasy series, and numerous stand-alone fantasy or science fiction novels, her career has included extensive work in the Star Trek TM universe, and many scripts for live-action and a
More about Diane Duane...
So You Want to Be a Wizard (Young Wizards, #1) Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards, #2) A Wizard Abroad (Young Wizards, #4) High Wizardry (Young Wizards, #3) The Wizard's Dilemma (Young Wizards, #5)

“Kit," said a female voice, "what's wrong with the fridge? All the food's gone. No, wait, there's a really ugly alien in here disguised as a leaky lettuce. Hey, I guess I shouldn't be rude to it; it's a visitor. Welcome to our planet, Mr. Alien!"
This was followed by some muffled remark that Nita couldn't make out, possibly something Kit was saying. A moment later, Kit's sister Carmela's voice came out of Nita's refrigerator again. "Hola, Nita, are your phone bills getting too big? This is a weird way to deal with it...”
5 likes
What are you thinking of? Dairine demanded. Let me help you—
You need to stay here and let me do this, Roshaun said.
But if I can just—
You can’t, Roshaun said, looking at her with that infuriating, amused expression. But then that’s what “Guarantor” means. If the world can’t pay the price…if the people around you can’t pay the price…you do.
The price? No! Dairine said. No! You don’t even like my little planet—you said so—
No, Roshaun said. Which is possibly the best of all possible reasons to do this.
He stepped out of the wizardry.
“No,” Dairine whispered. “No! Roshaun!
Roshaun vanished into the fire.”
4 likes