Start by marking “A History of Israelite Religion in the Old Testament Period, Volume I: From the Beginnings to the End of the Monarchy” as Want to Read:

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  16 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
This book, the first of two volumes, offers a comprehensive history of Israelite religion. It is a part of the Old Testament Library series.

The Old Testament Library provides fresh and authoritative treatments of important aspects of Old Testament study through commentaries and general surveys. The contributors are scholars of international standing.
Published May 1st 1994 by Westminster John Knox Press (first published January 1994)

Be the first to ask a question about A History of Israelite Religion in the Old Testament Period, Volume I

Richard Bartholomew
Sep 26, 2009 Richard Bartholomew rated it it was amazing
A rather technical and dry approach to the subject, which assumes familiarity with the German tradition of Biblical scholarship and with the Biblical text itself. However, if a reader perseveres beyond the difficult opening sections, once the history of Israel gets underway we are treated to an interesting exploration of the evolution of Israelite religion, drawing on Biblical scholarship and archaeology, but also insights from sociology and the history of religions.

Albertz is no minimalist - a
Paul
A deeply researched and well thought-out examination of how Israelite religion evolved in response to social, political, and economic changes.

I bought this volume because I had already read volume 2 and really liked it. I decided to begin with volume 2 because it covers the period closer to that of my own epic in progress, and I thought that volume 2 was so good that I wanted to go back to see what events led to the initial conditions of volume 2 (which takes up the story at the beginning of the
Tamela
Tamela added it
Jan 22, 2016
Suleiman
Suleiman marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Pedro Madariaga
Pedro Madariaga marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Mitch
Mitch rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2015
Bernice Yee
Bernice Yee marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Nick Khan
Nick Khan marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Jonathan Widell
Jonathan Widell rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Andreas
Andreas marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Phyllis
Phyllis marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
David J.
David J. marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Ayegbo
Ayegbo marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Julie Wood
Julie Wood rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Mizales
Mizales rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2014
Mike S
Mike S marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Stefano
Stefano rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Loren
Loren added it
Feb 12, 2014
Beaversandducks
Beaversandducks marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Fransiskus Nong budi
Fransiskus Nong budi marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Chris Whisonant
Chris Whisonant marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013