Start by marking “A History of Israel” as Want to Read:
A History of Israel

A History of Israel

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Unsurpassed for nearly half a century, and now with a new introduction and appendix by William P. Brown, John Bright's "A History of Israel" will continue to be a standard for a new generation of students of the Old Testament. This book remains a classic in the literature of theological education.
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 574 pages
Published July 1st 2000 by Westminster John Knox Press (first published 1946)

Andy Hickman
Solid reference resource.

Bright, J. A History of Israel. 4th ed. Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2003.
Colin Pearce
As a young eager Theological College student raised in a conservative Christian church I trembled as I read Bright for the first time because he challenged everything I knew about the times and dates of the history of Israel from my Sunday School lessons and the wispy nature of the teaching by child and youth workers. About ten years ago I picked it up and it was like reading the newspaper.

I love it and recommend it to a serious Bible reader. it would be particularly useful to read it before to
Allein
I wanted a comprehensive HISTORY of ancient Israel. The author has a little too much faith in the bible to accomplish this task. That, and he has several annoying writing habits ("we have seen," "We may suppose," "as we have seen," ... all in the same paragraph!) All that said, I think I'm just the wrong audience for what is otherwise a very handy synthesis of history and the bible.
Erik Graff
Jan 20, 2014 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bible fans
Recommended to Erik by: George Landis
Shelves: religion
I picked up this, Bright's most popular book, at the Union Theological Seminary bookstore (an excellent place at the time!). Of course I didn't get around to actually reading the thing until years later, but by then it was a good refresher since it had been so long since I'd taken a course on the Hebrew Scriptures and the history corresponding to them.
Daisy
Has good information about wars, kings, battles, and conquence of Israel. It is not specifically my kind of book it is very much like a history textbook it has very good information and organization.
Richard
The most useful history of Israel tracing through the Old Testament record and comparing and contrasting other cultures contemporary with historical Israel.
Jeff Noble
A history of Israel (Westminster aids to the study of the Scriptures) by John Bright (?)
Rob Roy
One of the better histories of Isreal
Covenant Presbyterian Springfield Ohio
Call Number: 221.02 BRI

Available.
Tyler
Very dry. Very informative.
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Maryam
Maryam marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Alex
Alex added it
Feb 27, 2015
Saqib
Saqib added it
Feb 27, 2015
Laura Vogt
Laura Vogt marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Jonathan Ng
Jonathan Ng marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Lydia Parker
Lydia Parker marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Rgauthie
Rgauthie marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Christopher Goins
Christopher Goins marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Yevgeny Levin
Yevgeny Levin marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Sarah Woodbury
Sarah Woodbury marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Renan Virginio
Renan Virginio marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
  • Old Testament Survey: The Message, Form, and Background of the Old Testament
  • A Biblical History of Israel
  • Understanding the Old Testament
  • Backgrounds of Early Christianity
  • A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament & Other Early Christian Literature
  • An Old Testament Theology: An Exegetical, Canonical, and Thematic Approach
  • The Book of the Acts, Revised
  • Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics: An Exegetical Syntax of the New Testament
  • Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels: A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship
  • Poet & Peasant, and Through Peasant Eyes: A Literary-Cultural Approach to the Parables in Luke
  • An Introduction to the New Testament
  • A Religious History of the American People
  • Creation and Fall Temptation: Two Biblical Studies
  • The Message of Ephesians (Bible Speaks Today NT)
  • The Next Christendom: The Coming of Global Christianity
  • Archaeological Study Bible-NIV: An Illustrated Walk Through Biblical History and Culture
  • The Meaning of the Pentateuch: Revelation, Composition and Interpretation
  • Theology of The Old Testament: Testimony, Dispute, Advocacy
John Bright was an American biblical scholar, the author of several important books including the influential A History of Israel, currently in its fourth edition. He was closely associated with the American school of Biblical criticism pioneered by William F. Albright, which sought to marry archaeology to a defence of the reliability of the Bible, especially the earlier books of the Old Testament ...more
More about John Bright...
The Kingdom of God: The Biblical Concept & Its Meaning for the Church Jeremiah (Anchor Bible, Vol 21) The Authority of the Old Testament Covenant and Promise A History of Israel, Fourth Edition (Westminster AIDS to the Study of the Scriptures)