Start by marking “Century Girl: 100 Years in the Life of Doris Eaton Travis, Last Living Star of the Ziegfeld Follies” as Want to Read:

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The Ziegfeld Follies, Florenz Ziegfeld's stage spectaculars, promised the best performers, the most lavish sets, and the most ravishing girls. Doris Eaton Travis was one of these prized beauties–and, at 14, was chosen as the youngest chorus girl in the Follies. "Mine eyes are yet dim with the luminous beauty of a girl named Doris," one Chicago reviewer wrote.

Doris Eaton Tr
Published January 17th 2012 by It Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Century Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Century Girl

Karen
Imagine if A&E's old Biography series had been co-directed by Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge) and Jean-Pierre Jeunet (Amelie). That's kind of what this book is like. Beautiful in every way. Love it love it love it.
Curlita
Mar 20, 2007 Curlita rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone!
Shelves: 2006
This book is a biography and an art journal/scrap book all rolled up in one. It is amazing in two senses -- the first is being able to read about an amazing woman who has lived a long and amazing life. The second is that the book itself is an amazing, beautiful, quirky and creative conglomeration of text and images.

I'm glad to see picture books being created for big people! We like to look at pictures too!
Heather
This book is both a fascinating and inspirational story, and atistically GORGEOUS. Redniss is a breathtaking artist, although her handwritten text is slightly difficult to read at times, not for content but for design. The art is so beautiful and captivating, and truly encompasses the glory days of the follies. I would truly encourage this read for anyone who enjoys dance, Arthur Murray, biographies, history of the US, the art nouveau or anything to do with the Ziegfield Follies. It is a lovely ...more
Grace
I LOVE this book! I've watched specials on the Ziegfeld Follies since I was little, so this was of particular interest. This book is so beautiful and artistic, combining photos with doodles and lyrical stories. I can't believe Doris is still alive today at 104! And she still dances three times a week!
This book embodies her inspiration, and I highly recommend it.
courtney
i want her to do my biography
Lisa
What a life!

To have danced your life through over 100 years of existence is incredible. This book, artistically chronicles (although somewhat discombobulately) the early life of a Follies performer and her ability to change and adapt to the changing times as well as aging to remain employed and doing her own art.

Samantha Glasser
I knew of Doris Eaton Travis because she was the oldest living follies dancer, and because she danced at age 100 on the New Amsterdam stage. (Footage of her dancing can be seen on Broadway: The American Musical). As an avid fan of all entertainment from the turn of the century, I was naturally interested in this book.

Lauren Redniss uses an artistic, scrapbooking style to approach Doris' life, and uses background information, news articles, interviews with her, and photos of her life to paint the
Christine P.
The only complaint I have about this book is that the collage style can be a bit busy and can sometimes detract from the original photos of Doris Eaton Travis. Great book for costume and fashion inspiration though. Could also be used as a fun tool to introduce kids to history.
Amber the Human
Meant to get a hold of this after finishing Radioactive, but forgot until Adam reminded me. This book is kind of a beast! Which would make sense, as Redniss has to cover 100 years. Less of the tangents that I enjoyed in Radioactive, but still a really awesome book.
Jeffrey Yamaguchi
Lauren Redniss' Century Girl is a work of art that tells the story of a remarkable woman, Doris Eaton Travis. It is visually stunning -- the colors and art/photos/clippings and presentation make the cleverly inked biographical words LIVE on the page. And though longevity is one of the book's hooks -- "100 years in the life..." -- it is really about LIVING life, really, truly living life. It's a very unique experience reading this book -- you open a page and the gorgeous, artistic presentation re ...more
Carrie
Century Girl was good, but in many ways disappointing. I had expected (when I ordered the book through Interlibrary Loan) a typical non-fiction book. Instead, it was a collage, mixing text, drawings and photos, as well as newspaper clippings. While the book itself was enjoyable, I felt like it lacked depth. Doris Eaton Davis is over 100 years old and has lived a life full of adventure and many challenges. I can only imagine what stories she has to share that this book failed to even scratch the ...more
Deb
I'm hooked on Lauren Redniss' books so got this one as well. This is about the last Ziegfeld follies girl that lived to be 106 yrs old! She danced at her 100th bday party. Something all of us might want to do (or not!)!!! Again, the layout of the book; pictures; creativity and artistry of the book make it one to own. Doris Eaton Travis was quite a girl/woman...it would've been fun to know her.
Kathryn
I'd give this book six stars if I could. It is utterly fascinating - the story of Doris Eaton Travis. I learned so much about the Ziegfield Follies, silent movies, Prohibition, the Depression and the Arthur Murray Dance studios and so much more. This lady is incredible - oh and the other great part this is a graphic novel. The author did an incredible job. She died in 2010 at the age of 106.
christine cooper
Doris Eaton Travis had such an amazing life! She did so many things and met so many people and was spunky and dancing well up into her 90s and 100s. There was so much life in her life!
Lauren Redniss (who also did Radioactive, the Marie Curie pictobiography) did an incredible job weaving her own bizarre illustrations and archival pictures into a spectacle, a work of art on every page.
Marissa
What a marvelously well-crafted graphic biography of Doris Eaton, a world famous dancer. A wonderful combination of old photographs, collage, hand-written text, and drawings. Even better, Redniss obviously did her homework with her extensive research and interviews. This is a really fascinating story that will remind you just how many lives a person can lead within a single lifetime.
Jaina Bee
Sep 24, 2008 Jaina Bee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dancers, biography buffs, feminists
Recommended to Jaina Bee by: an anonymous Powell's employee
I'm a sucker for this multi-media collage stuff. Plus, who doesn't love a Follies gal still kicking up her heels into the next millenium?

While the book is appealing and fancy and shares the fascinating history of this great woman, it fell short of my grand expectations. Perhaps it's just an aesthetic difference, but that's what it's all about, right?
Kate
Like Redniss' "Radioactive," THIS BOOK IS TOTALLY RAD. Firstly, it concerns one of my favorite eras of American history. Second of all, it deals with showbiz and early film. Thirdly, this lady, Doris Eaton, is AMAZING, okay? This biography is insightful and cool and damn, did she ever meet cool people/do cool things.

Highly recommended.
Beth Anne
Lauren Redniss is my hero. While I prefer slightly her book on the life of Marie Curie called Radioactive, this too was a gorgeously illustrated book/exploration of one American life. Doris Eaton Travis is the high-stepping grandma you never had, and this book celebrates her radical life.
Eric
Century Girl is beautifully designed and illustrated. Though I doubt the idea for a collage biography would have ever occurred to me, I can now imagine no more fitting tribute to a woman who built her life in such an immediate, visual medium the way Doris Eaton did with The Follies.
Cheryl
I am a sucker for early Hollywood musicals and Broadway. This book is enormous, lush, image-drenched, a lot of fun. It originally retailed for $75., I waited a few years and recently bought it used on Amazon for less than $10! It arrived today :)
Rae

I bought this for cheap, and frankly, I'm glad it was. It's more a scrapbook than a bio and unfortunately, I got bored with it rather than being intrigued by her story. But what dancer could resist checking out such a long-living legend?

SA
I read this after reading Redniss' book on Marie and Pierre Curie, and it did not disappoint. Doris Eaton lived a truly remarkable life, and Redniss brings those experiences to life through multimedia and careful prose. Highly recommended.
erin duncan
This book is a delightful collage of old photos, interesting history, and wise little quips from an amazing woman who lived an amazing life as a showgirl, dance teacher, rancher, and entertainer. So creative and enjoyable. I loved it!
Chelsea
I just love this author! Her books are works of art that I think you could enjoy over and over again. This one had some great history about the US and again great design. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Barrie
Interesting, but I couldn't get past the size of the book and the sloppiness of the collaging. I LOVE collage/graphic novels, but this true story just didn't hit me the way others have.
Beth
The biography of Doris Eaton Travis the last living Ziegfeld girl. The combo of photos and pieces of her scrapbooks is amazing! She lived a full life that was a delight to read about.
Erica
Jan 12, 2008 Erica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Erica by: BUST book review
Century Girl is a gorgeous and engaging book! The story of Travis' life is thoroughly absorbing, but the presentation is so lovely that you'll want to slowly savor each page.
Melanie
I really like the mixed-media approach of Lauren Redniss's books. However, this is due back to the library and I'm not interested enough in the story to renew it.
Julia
Beautiful pictures and a quick read, but I'm still thinking about the luck of this girl who saw pretty much every major event of the 20th Century up close and personal.
Kime
This is a darling book to give as a gift- or keep for yourself. Pretty collage like pages featuring dancers from the Ziegfeld Follies. A sweet read
  • Complicated Women: Sex and Power in Pre-Code Hollywood
  • Buster Keaton: Tempest In A Flat Hat
  • Clara Bow: Runnin' Wild
  • Jazz Age Beauties: The Lost Collection of Ziegfeld Photographer Alfred Cheney Johnston
  • Wisecracker: The Life and Times of William Haines, Hollywood's First Openly Gay Star
  • Vamp: The Rise and Fall of Theda Bara
  • Silent Movies: The Birth of Film and the Triumph of Movie Culture
  • Sin in Soft Focus: Pre-Code Hollywood
  • The Parade's Gone By...
  • Silent Stars
  • Louise Brooks: Lulu Forever
  • Pre-Code Hollywood: Sex, Immorality, and Insurrection in American Cinema; 1930-1934
  • I Live Here
  • Hot Toddy: The True Story of Hollywood's Most Sensational Murder
  • A Cast of Killers
  • Garbo
  • American Silent Film
  • Buster Keaton Remembered
Lauren Redniss is the author of Century Girl: 100 years in the Life of Doris Eaton Travis, Last Living Star of the Ziegfeld Follies and Radioactive: Marie & Pierre Curie, A Tale of Love and Fallout, a finalist for the 2011 National Book Award for non fiction. Her writing and drawing has appeared in numerous publications including the New York Times, which nominated her work for the Pulitzer Pr ...more
More about Lauren Redniss...
Radioactive: Marie and Pierre Curie, A Tale of Love and Fallout Thunder & Lightning: Weather Past, Present, Future Radioactive: Marie & Pierre Curie: A Tale of Love and Fallout Comics Sketchbooks: The Private Worlds of Today's Most Creative Talents