Start by marking “Rick Steves' London 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)” as Want to Read:
Rick Steves' London 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)

Rick Steves' London 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)

Who but Rick Steves tells you what you really need to know when traveling in London?

Rick spends four months each year exploring Europe, and his candid, humorous advice will steer you to the very best sights and museums that London has to offer. You'll beat the lines at the major monuments. You'll find hotels and restaurants that make the most of your vacation budget. You'l
Published December 11th 2006 by Avalon Travel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Rick Steves' London 2007, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rick Steves' London 2007

carl  theaker
I do like Rick Steve's guides, yet sometimes his attitude can get a
bit annoying, like why would you want to see Big Ben? it's just an
over sized tick tock clock you simple, ignorant, tourist idiot!

My library had a 2011 version, so this being 2014, it's a bit dated,
still, good for research.
Melissa
Feb 05, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Rick Steve's books are great. Great tips on where to eat, sleep, sight see. We have planned both of our trips to Europe using his books!

He has trip plans for the number of days you plan to stay - for every attraction he tells you how long you should expect it to take. He tells you exactly where the highlights of a museum are located so you can skip the stuff you don't want to see. Around every attraction, he lists a perfect place to grab lunch or a cup of coffee. He suggests great places to stay
Jessica
Jun 29, 2007 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone going to London soon
Shelves: non-fiction
This author is very good! He tells you straight up what sites are worth the time and money, and which are basically tourist traps. It's easy to find the information you're looking for and even some that you didn't know you would need!

We used this book's suggested route inside the British Museum when we only had 2 1/2 hours to see everything before it closed. It was great! I felt like we got to see some very important artifacts and while we were running through several rooms, I still enjoyed the
Thalia Papadakis
Sep 02, 2016 Thalia Papadakis rated it really liked it
Rick forgot the chapter about the in-your-face racism (I even witnessed a group of Muslim women get accosted by a group of British women at a Harrods restaurant; the Brit women simply went up to their table and started screaming at them to go home and that "we should bomb you all"), abuse towards homeless (I saw a security guard push a homeless woman down a set of department store stairs--when I yelled for someone to call for an ambulance I was told that, "She's not a customer"), the absolute ru ...more
Andrew
May 28, 2007 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: travellers to London, England
I carried this book the entire time during my trip to London. While this may not be the most comprehensive guide, it offered the whirlwind traveller some pretty good foot walking tours as well as the 'best bits' guide to popular museums.

Handy and recommended.
Erik
Sep 04, 2010 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rick’s guide to the heart of the former British Empire is singularly one of his best guidebooks out there. Then again, he’s been updating and republishing this one for more or less two decades, in some form or another. It’s got almost everything: maps of both the west and east ends of London, a current Underground map (although you can get one for free at most tube stations), self-guided tours of the major museums (British, Tate British, National Portrait Gallery, National Gallery, and others), ...more
Rashaan
Jul 16, 2009 Rashaan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, he's geeky, and yes, he's awkwardly funny, but Rick Steves loves Europe and he shares his passion with thoughtful advice and surprisingly biting, sarcastic humor, and truth. His suggestions are more than useful, they're worldly wise.

For the great behemoth of London's museums, overwhelming warehouses of the world's civilizations, he urges readers to spend the extra three or four pounds and get the audio tour. This is sage advice when you have over a million artifacts to gape at and a thousa
Ryan
May 13, 2010 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typically, I prefer Lonely Planet guidebooks, but unfortunately LP makes obnoxious and unusable city guidebooks, in my opinion. (Their country-specific guidebooks are the best.) On a recent trip to London, I extensively used this Rick Steves guidebook as my main source of information, and I was really happy with my choice.

Like his PBS show, this guidebook was packed with dorky puns and earnest charm, with advice generally targeted toward budget-minded baby boomers. Despite being in my twenties,
Loralee
Feb 01, 2015 Loralee rated it it was amazing
This book was basically my bible when it came to planning our trip to London. I read it cover to cover probably three or four times before we left, and flipped through it almost constantly while we were there. Highly recommend it.
Mark
Oct 29, 2010 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, travel
I loved this guide to London, which was very helpful in planning our recent trip. Helping us to identify key priorities and understand critical information, this accessible guide book, with easy to read descriptions made a difference for us. Rick Steve's portrays travel for everyday people on a budget in a very helpful way. I highly recommend his books to Europe.
Paul Dinger
Apr 11, 2009 Paul Dinger rated it it was amazing
I can't recommend this book enough. It literally was my guide thru London. I didn't use a map, but this book. There I was plodding the streets of London and this book helped me find all the great galleries from the National Portrait Gallery to the Tate and the underground Winston Churchill musuem. I still have it and will use it when I go again.
Ross
Oct 23, 2007 Ross rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for a trip to London in 2006. it was full of a lot of helpful information to prepare for this first time trip. Rick has traveled these areas so much that he is able to let you know some of the great places to see that some of the other travel books dont give you.
Hayley
Jul 19, 2011 Hayley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very informative book on how to get around London while you're there. I'm only giving it 4 stars because I felt he missed some of the attractions - specifically Kew Gardens and I was interested in adding that to my list of things to do while in London.
Kaye
Jul 11, 2009 Kaye rated it it was amazing
Used the 2009 edition for our recent trip to London. Very informative and helpful information. Like his highlights of museums giving you a quick ideas of highlights of places such as the British Museum, Windsor and Hampton Court.
Leah
Mar 09, 2010 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I especially liked the section on overrated sites, pictures of what is available at the different museums, and basic prep stuff. It really helped me get it down to the essentials, too. Good starter guide if you're only planning a few days.
Thelma
Mar 09, 2008 Thelma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When we were in London, Emma asked me what I would do if I actually saw Rick Steves. I told her I would give him a hug and a kiss. I love his books. They are so helpful and we would have missed out on a lot without him.
Jan 10, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
He does an amazing job of describing the details needed when planning a trip to London, especially with transportaion. Great for solo travelers. His website is also a great resource for any location traveling!
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
Broadly speaking, the Rick Steves' guides are excellent travel guides and usually pin down the places to visit (and those to avoid) better than many of the other travel books. The London guide is no exception.
Susan
Aug 04, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Took this to London and found it to be very helpful, especially in regard to: his suggested walks, explaining how to get to places, giving info re where to eat near spots of interest, and the maps in the book.
Melissa Hunt
Aug 26, 2011 Melissa Hunt rated it it was amazing
I really have 2011. If I didn't buy this, I would have never stuck my feet in Paul McCartneys yard. I love you Rick Steves.
Jim Noel
Jul 28, 2011 Jim Noel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
His enthusiasm is infectious! (I read the paperback, not Kindle edition, but don't feel like fixing that right now.)
Angela
Jan 20, 2009 Angela rated it it was amazing
I love Rick Steves' guidebooks. This one was just as informative and interesting as his Italy book we used in 2004.
Tracy
Apr 20, 2012 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, travel, 2012
Tons of practical info- I read the 2012 version which has information about visiting the Olympics site.
Amy
Aug 03, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing
Once again another great travel book from Rick Steves. Sample tours were good and easy to follow
Heidi
Apr 28, 2014 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, travel
Perhaps the best travel guide I've read - I'm certain the updated version is no disappointment.
Abbyjune
Sep 08, 2010 Abbyjune rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book to help me get around London! Loved it.
Rachel
Nov 15, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful! Maps are wonderful and so much good advice!
Glownthedarc
Jan 20, 2009 Glownthedarc rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! London, here I come!
Christal Sohl
Apr 01, 2012 Christal Sohl rated it really liked it
all ready for our trip!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
  • Fodor's London 2012
  • London (Eyewitness Travel)
  • Germany
  • World's Best Travel Experiences: 400 Extraordinary Places
  • Paris
  • Hawaii the Big Island Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook
  • Turkey
  • Emeril's New New Orleans
  • From Neuron to Brain: A Cellular and Molecular Approach to the Function of the Nervous System (4th Edition)
  • Women in the Material World
  • Washington, D.C.
  • Drawing Portraits: Faces and Figures
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Butterflies
  • The Eyewitness Handbook of Trees (Eyewitness Handbooks)
  • A Field Guide to Wildflowers: Northeastern and North-central North America
  • Italy
  • Germany (DK Eyewitness Travel)
  • Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America
Richard "Rick" Steves is an American author and television personality on European travel. He is the host of a public television series, and a public radio travel show, and the author of many travel guidebooks and autobiographies.
More about Rick Steves...