Start by marking “The Adventures of Captain Bonneville, U. S. A., in the Rocky Mountains and the Far West” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
pubOne.info present you this new edition. WHILE ENGAGED in writing an account of the grand enterprise of Astoria, it was my practice to seek all kinds of oral information connected with the subject. Nowhere did I pick up more interesting particulars than at the table of Mr. John Jacob Astor; who, being the patriarch of the fur trade in the United States, was accustomed to ...more
Published September 15th 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published 1837)

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Captain Bonneville, U. S. A., in the Rocky Mountains and the Far West

Bruce Deming
Apr 17, 2015 Bruce Deming rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this and totally missed that Captain Bonneville and a Rutherford were the first white men to visit Yosemite as is mentioned in the summary.

Bonneville was pretty decent though his men became brutal in Cali to the natives to his shame and shock.

Bonneville experienced the beauty of the West in the rawest sort if way, but still took time out to observe the beaver from behind a bush to see for himself if their legendary intelligence was true.

This is a nice look at the early west though I doub
Bob Gustafson
Apr 22, 2016 Bob Gustafson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The History of New York" and "The Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus" induced me to read another work of Washington Irving's and I'm happy that I did.

John Jacob Astor introduced Washington Irving to Benjamin Bonneville, a captain in the United States Army, who had been assigned the exploration of the western extremes of the Louisiana Territory and what lay beyond, the area that Astor and his trappers had briefly "colonized" and then abandoned, by President Jackson in the 1830's. Irving wr
Daniel Garrison
May 07, 2016 Daniel Garrison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read many of Irving's books, but I think I will track down a few more after reading this one. I thought it was well done and I enjoyed it.

MisterFweem
Mar 05, 2015 MisterFweem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review is here. Excellent research material for two books I'm working on at the moment.

Harold Crowder
Very ensightful as to the early men in encountering The Wild West. Maybe it was me but found the work redundant.
Alison
It is interesting to read, but a little dry. I am part way through right now and having a hard time picking it up again. I do enjoy visualizing the parts of the country that I have been seen.
LeAnn Boardman
LeAnn Boardman marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Isabel
Isabel marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Andrés Wilkinnsson
Andrés Wilkinnsson rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Julianna
Julianna marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Ty Hunt
Ty Hunt marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Marcus
Marcus added it
Jul 01, 2016
Marcus
Marcus added it
Jul 01, 2016
Rebekah Grace
Rebekah Grace rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2016
Dustin
Dustin marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Nicole
Nicole is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2016
Linda Donohue
Linda Donohue marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Malak Adny
Malak Adny marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Malak Adny
Malak Adny marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Annika
Annika marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Tom Mc
Tom Mc rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Murray
Murray marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
David Shick
David Shick marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
d.
d. marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
William Earnest
William Earnest rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Washington Irving was an American author, essayist, biographer and historian of the early 19th century. He began his literary career at the age of nineteen by writing newspaper articles under the pseudonym, "Jonathan Oldstyle."

In 1809, he published, The History of New York, under his most well known public persona, Diedrich Knickerbocker.

Irving is best known for his short stories, "The Legend of
More about Washington Irving...