Start by marking “The Adventures of Captain Bonneville, U. S. A., in the Rocky Mountains and the Far West” as Want to Read:

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  4 reviews
pubOne.info present you this new edition. WHILE ENGAGED in writing an account of the grand enterprise of Astoria, it was my practice to seek all kinds of oral information connected with the subject. Nowhere did I pick up more interesting particulars than at the table of Mr. John Jacob Astor; who, being the patriarch of the fur trade in the United States, was accustomed to ...more
Published December 3rd 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published 1837)

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Captain Bonneville, U. S. A., in the Rocky Mountains and the Far West

Bruce Deming
I read this and totally missed that Captain Bonneville and a Rutherford were the first white men to visit Yosemite as is mentioned in the summary.

Bonneville was pretty decent though his men became brutal in Cali to the natives to his shame and shock.

Bonneville experienced the beauty of the West in the rawest sort if way, but still took time out to observe the beaver from behind a bush to see for himself if their legendary intelligence was true.

This is a nice look at the early west though I doub
MisterFweem
Review is here. Excellent research material for two books I'm working on at the moment.

Harold Crowder
Very ensightful as to the early men in encountering The Wild West. Maybe it was me but found the work redundant.
Alison
It is interesting to read, but a little dry. I am part way through right now and having a hard time picking it up again. I do enjoy visualizing the parts of the country that I have been seen.
Julia Sparrow
Julia Sparrow marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Rendhy
Rendhy added it
May 16, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Anthony Whitt
Anthony Whitt marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Dschmit39
Dschmit39 marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Iwik Pásková
Iwik Pásková marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
B. Lynwood Davis
B. Lynwood Davis marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Katie Warren
Katie Warren marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Forrest Ross
Forrest Ross marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Jennifer Stacewicz
Jennifer Stacewicz marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Adam Christians
Adam Christians is currently reading it
Feb 02, 2015
Rob Mattimoe
Rob Mattimoe marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
chris roeder
chris roeder marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Siddharth Sharma
Siddharth Sharma marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Alesia
Alesia marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Jeff Ambrose
Jeff Ambrose marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Clint
Clint marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Washington Irving was an American author, essayist, biographer and historian of the early 19th century. He began his literary career at the age of nineteen by writing newspaper articles under the pseudonym, "Jonathan Oldstyle."

In 1809, he published, The History of New York, under his most well known public persona, Diedrich Knickerbocker.

Irving is best known for his short stories, "The Legend of
More about Washington Irving...
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Other Stories The Legend of Sleepy Hollow Rip Van Winkle Legend Of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle Tales of the Alhambra