Start by marking “The Adventures of Captain Bonneville, U. S. A., in the Rocky Mountains and the Far West” as Want to Read:

pubOne.info present you this new edition. WHILE ENGAGED in writing an account of the grand enterprise of Astoria, it was my practice to seek all kinds of oral information connected with the subject. Nowhere did I pick up more interesting particulars than at the table of Mr. John Jacob Astor; who, being the patriarch of the fur trade in the United States, was accustomed to ...more
Published September 15th 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published 1837)

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Captain Bonneville, U. S. A., in the Rocky Mountains and the Far West

Bruce Deming
Apr 17, 2015 Bruce Deming rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this and totally missed that Captain Bonneville and a Rutherford were the first white men to visit Yosemite as is mentioned in the summary.

Bonneville was pretty decent though his men became brutal in Cali to the natives to his shame and shock.

Bonneville experienced the beauty of the West in the rawest sort if way, but still took time out to observe the beaver from behind a bush to see for himself if their legendary intelligence was true.

This is a nice look at the early west though I doub
Daniel Garrison
May 07, 2016 Daniel Garrison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read many of Irving's books, but I think I will track down a few more after reading this one. I thought it was well done and I enjoyed it.

Bob Gustafson
Apr 22, 2016 Bob Gustafson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The History of New York" and "The Life and Voyages of Christopher Columbus" induced me to read another work of Washington Irving's and I'm happy that I did.

John Jacob Astor introduced Washington Irving to Benjamin Bonneville, a captain in the United States Army, who had been assigned the exploration of the western extremes of the Louisiana Territory and what lay beyond, the area that Astor and his trappers had briefly "colonized" and then abandoned, by President Jackson in the 1830's. Irving wr
Harold Crowder
Very ensightful as to the early men in encountering The Wild West. Maybe it was me but found the work redundant.
Alison
It is interesting to read, but a little dry. I am part way through right now and having a hard time picking it up again. I do enjoy visualizing the parts of the country that I have been seen.
MisterFweem
Mar 05, 2015 MisterFweem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review is here. Excellent research material for two books I'm working on at the moment.

Darinda
Darinda rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2013
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2012
Rebecca McCaffrey
Rebecca McCaffrey rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2016
Stuart Lynch
Stuart Lynch rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2015
James
James rated it it was ok
Nov 07, 2015
Doug Garnett
Doug Garnett rated it really liked it
May 09, 2012
George Cruikshank
George Cruikshank rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2015
john mims
john mims rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Adam Christians
Adam Christians rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Billster
Billster rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2016
Rick Hamell
Rick Hamell rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Jack
Jack rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Francie Shoemaker
Francie Shoemaker rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2011
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Erich
Erich rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2014
Rebekah Grace
Rebekah Grace rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2016
Tom
Tom rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Cindy Catterton
Cindy Catterton rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2013
Hal Johnson
Hal Johnson rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2014
MKelly
MKelly rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
William Earnest
William Earnest rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Washington Irving was an American author, essayist, biographer and historian of the early 19th century. He began his literary career at the age of nineteen by writing newspaper articles under the pseudonym, "Jonathan Oldstyle."

In 1809, he published, The History of New York, under his most well known public persona, Diedrich Knickerbocker.

Irving is best known for his short stories, "The Legend of
More about Washington Irving...