Start by marking “Daughter of Ireland” as Want to Read:
Daughter of Ireland

Daughter of Ireland

I am the wind which breathes on the water.
I am the swell of the sea.
I am the light of the sun.
I am the point of the battle spear.
I am the God who gives fires to the mind.
Who announces the ages of the moon?
Who speaks to the setting of the sun?
I, only I.

Aislinn ni Sorar, druid priestess of ancient Ireland, is a visionary. Raised according to the ancient ways and seeking to u
Published March 6th 2002 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of Ireland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughter of Ireland

Sandi
Jan 19, 2009 Sandi rated it it was amazing
As a lover of all things Irish and Scottish, I have to adore this book...plus it has druids, a druid priestess who is hot, dashing warriors with swords, mystical nature scenes, betrayal, and a great plot...what is not to love!
Corina Prince
Aug 21, 2015 Corina Prince rated it it was amazing
A time before Christianity came to Ireland, Celts and Druids ruled freely. I absolutely loved this book it made me feel like I was there. Being a Druid myself. It was very helpful with the glossaries since Gaelic is a complex language!
Aria
Aug 16, 2013 Aria rated it did not like it
I very rarely like using the phrase "not worth the paper it's printed on" but this unfortunately falls on one of those rare occasions. I really cannot get over just how awful this book was. This is basically a cheesy romance novel masquerading as historical fiction/fantasy novel. How anyone took this seriously enough to publish is just beyond me.

I picked up this book at a book fair and bought it on a whim with a friend of mine thinking that it was going to be a sort of Irish historical fiction
Kim Bentz
Nov 16, 2016 Kim Bentz rated it really liked it
With a book like this it seems wrong to rate it so soon after finishing it, as I am still processing parts of it. It's possible to give this a surface read, I suppose, but Osborne-McKnight does a good job expressing the minds and hearts of a people on the cusp of Christianity. This tale seems true to the spirit of ancient Ireland, with the societal, political and religious structures. I am contemplating the way the spiritual is expressed and understood by a people who had a taboo against the ...more
Rachael Pruitt
Aug 16, 2013 Rachael Pruitt rated it really liked it
I admit to having a deep bias in favor of anyone who enjoys writing about the ancient Celts and has the courage to try to resurrect a world so different from ours. I enjoyed Ms. Osborne-McKnight's earlier novel ("I am Ireland") &, as a folklorist, I appreciate her scholarship and her weaving of Irish mythology into a human story. In "Daughter of Ireland", the author focuses on the coming of Christianity to Ireland and creates a love story centering around two conflicting faiths, Druidry ...more
Adrienne
Dec 28, 2015 Adrienne rated it did not like it
I had a very hard time getting into this book. The books that I enjoy immensely I find myself feeling like I'm INSIDE the world, experiencing the world right beside the characters. The whole time I was reading this book, I very much felt like and outsider looking in. I kept hoping that there would be a point in the book where it would open up and I would find myself plunging deep into the fabric of this world created by Osborne-McKnight. It just didn't happen for me. I didn't feel invested or ...more
Kelli Barrett
In Daughter of Ireland a druid priestess of ancient Ireland, Aislinn Ni Sorar, is running from evil forces that threaten to hurt her and her family. Along the way she takes a little girl under her wing and falls in love. Aislinn's story involves some Celtic mythology, which was interesting, and I enjoyed the book. The only thing that bothered me was the reasoning behind the actions of the evil druid, Banbh. He has all these elaborate plots to hurt her when it would have been a lot simpler to ...more
Anna
Jan 05, 2010 Anna rated it liked it
As cheesy as this book was, I have to admit I liked it. It wasn’t great by any means, but it’s better than other things I’ve read. I liked how the pieces of the puzzle came together and how in the end, the main character confronted her fear. Still, the story just kind of carried on forever. I thought the mix of the legend of Finn MacCool with the onset of Christianity in Ireland was very creative.
Marcie
Apr 02, 2011 Marcie rated it really liked it
To continue my current readings on Ireland...
Where "Confessions of a Pagan Nun" focused on gritty reality, this novel romanticizes the glories of Ireland's golden age under Cormac Mac Art in a sweeping tale of love, loyalty, betrayal, fear, belief, and forgiveness.
I loved the language, both the style in which it was written and the incorporation of irish words, and found myself reading slowly just to savor them. It is no surpirse the author was a storyteller before she became a writer.
Rhonda
Sep 15, 2014 Rhonda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
The beginning to middle of the book started out in fantasy with much written about Druidism and the Celts- Druidism was the main religion of the Celts of the time.

Somewhere in the middle there was a huge trainwreck of misplaced history and the Druids became Christians, and the Druid law was changed ect.

I felt the book should have picked a religion in the beginning and stuck with it, either ancient Druidism or Christianity but not try to work both religions in the same timeframe.
Jane
Aug 03, 2010 Jane rated it really liked it
This sounds silly, but at times I felt it was a Harry Potter for adults-not really magic stuff, but people using their powers for good or evil...and exciting real characters who fight for what they believe and with compassion, love, hate and goodness towards each other- I enjoyed it-
Erin
May 14, 2009 Erin rated it it was ok
I read and enjoyed the author's first book, "I Am of Irelaunde" but I didn't like this one nearly as much. It was too much of a romance, and a cheesy romance at that. I loved the setting of the story and the Irish history and myth included in the novel, but I was disappointed in the book.
Melle
Feb 26, 2010 Melle rated it liked it
Recommends it for: romantic historical fiction fans
Recommended to Melle by: myself
Not an unpleasant read. Engaging characters, except for the protagonist's occasional emotional outbursts. The "bad" Druids were portrayed somewhat flat. Interesting perspective on the introduction of Christianity to Ireland.
Dragonflydreamer68
I am giving this only 2 stars because the story seemed lacking or plain in most parts, however the celtic druid research was accurate as far as what most scholars know.
Terri Pray
Jul 05, 2012 Terri Pray rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unable-to-finish
Just could not get into the voice of this one at all. Tried as it's an era/setting I love, but when you're forcing yourself to re-read lines you know there's a problem.
Kat
Oct 06, 2009 Kat rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful read that has romance and suspense. The scenic descriptions made me want to visit Ireland all the more!
Tabata
Tabata rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2012
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2009
Meg
Meg rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2007
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2008
Spuddie
Spuddie rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2007
John Paul
John Paul rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Brenda
Brenda rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2007
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Sean Braden
Sean Braden rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2008
Kelly and Geoff
Kelly and Geoff rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Shaun
Shaun rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2012
Kara
Kara rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2014
Martina Co
Martina Co rated it did not like it
Jul 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Last Prince of Ireland
  • Light a Candle for the Beast
  • Between the Waters (Symphony of Light, #2)
  • Serenya's Song (Tallenmere, #2)
  • Things That Go Hump In The Night
  • The Dark Seduction of Miss Jane
  • In the Arms of a Stranger (Shadow Heroes #2)
  • Assigned a Mate (Interstellar Brides, #1)
  • Opposites
  • Trick of Time
  • FireStarter (SmokeJumpers, #1)
  • Leon's Lair
  • A King's Ransom (Masters of Pleasure, #1)
  • Redemption in Blood: A Novel of The Penitent
  • Her Warrior Slave (MacEgan Brothers, #1)
  • Women of the Celts
  • The Baby Contract (The Billionaire Bachelor Series, #1)
  • Taming a Raven (Galactic Lust, #1)
Juilene Osborne-McKnight is a Professor of Celtic Studies and creative writing in the United States. She is the author of the Irish historical novels I am of Irelaunde, Daughter of Ireland, Bright Sword of Ireland and Song of Ireland (MacMillan for Kindle, Nook and i-Pad). Her nonfiction history The Story We Carry in our Bones: Irish History for Americans is now available at Barnes & Noble, on ...more
More about Juilene Osborne-McKnight...