Start by marking “Boots on the Ground: A Month with the 82nd Airborne in the Battle for Iraq” as Want to Read:
Boots on the Ground: A Month with the 82nd Airborne in the Battle for Iraq

Boots on the Ground: A Month with the 82nd Airborne in the Battle for Iraq

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Boots on the Ground is a riveting account of the war in Iraq with the 82nd Airborne Division as it convoys north from Kuwait to Iraq's Tallil Air Base en route to night-and-day battles within the major city of Samawah and its nearby bridges across the Euphrates. Karl Zinsmeister, a frontline reporter who traveled with the 82nd, brilliantly conveys the careful planning and ...more
Published October 5th 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Boots on the Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boots on the Ground

Steve
Dec 16, 2008 Steve rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Wow. An embedded free-lance journalist wrote this very quick read. He has done three things very well. First, he does an excellent job of describing what war is like, and why soldiers choose their profession; and he does it so well that even non-military folks can follow along. Second, he explains why and how the media has gotten everything wrong while covering the war on terrorism. Finally, he lets the rest of America know what sacrifices soldiers make to keep them safe and more importantly, wh ...more
Marcus Wimbley
Summary:
Boots on the ground is the account of one reporter's month with the 82nd Airborne Division during the invasion of Iraq. Zinsmeister, who was embedded with the army as a correspondent for The National Review, makes no bones about his unabashed support for the war, and for the American military in general. The prospect of spending time rubbing shoulders with soldiers in the trenches clearly delights him even before he touches down on Iraqi soil.

Theme:

One thing I have noticed in the theme
Mikel
Literally one of the worst books I've ever read. It's only about 170 pages and it's huge type with large margins, so I pity folks who ordered it from Amazon. I was looking for a first person narrative out of Iraq and got some of the most right wing politically slanted garbage. I don't mind conservative politics, but when it's written as ham-fisted and soapbox as this, it's an exercise in pain. I actually finished it just so that I could give it a terrible review and 1 star in good conscience.
Michael Thomas
Good story on Iraq war
Jeanne
Comes highly recommended from my brother, a member of the 82nd.

The best thing about this book is how it portrays our soldiers: Smart, brave, and imminently concerned about doing the right thing. I know this much is true and appreciate the honest look at a soldier's life.

What I didn't care for what the author's obvious opinions about the war. I wasn't so sure that I was getting an unbiased journalistic approach to the topic. Granted, I'm also doubtful about the "main-stream" media's reporting on
Erin Shaw
Real life account of the amazing 82nd Airbornes push into Iraq. Intense because it's true. I know a member of the 82nd who was there, and he tells me the account is accurate. I find the authors account to be refreshingly unbiased and informational as well. One of the best true accounts I have read from an embedded journalist.
Mark Sullivan
My book was Boots On The Ground and I would recommend this book to people who like to hear about the differnt wars and who like to see the different insresting pictures of the diffeerent people in the war like of them talking,holding guns,walking around,holding there guns ready to shoot,shooting the cannons and ready to defend there wounderful country.Then when it starts to get to the pictures it give you alot of information like some of the titles of the information like Feeding the king,Scouti ...more
Craigeden
I was in the 82nd Airborne in Iraq during the time the author was there. I never met the author, but he did a wonderful job. I would like to thank the author for a wonderful book.
shay
this book was so disappointing. the author had great access, is clearly a decent write, and has a compelling story. the problem was that he was so obnoxious that there were times i wanted to just stop reading. he bashes on liberals and the privileged while talking about season tickets to the symphony and the myriad of lessons his kids take. he complains about how no one understands what he's been through and then jets his kids off for a ski weekend in canada so he can experience snow. when it co ...more
Natalie
A surprisingly good read (sometimes books like this can be dry).

A lot of people have issues with this book being biased. I would argue that yes this book is biased; but I would call it pro-military, not necessarily pro-war. Also, you have to look at the time it was written and published. I think we were doing much better the first little bit in Iraq than we are now. And all sorts of shit has come out since then about false information and so forth and so on.

If you want a good read and a good fe
Jeff
Although interesting and informative in moments of telling anecdotes of the author's time with the 82nd in the push to Iraq, this is more of a political commentary than anything else. The reader is given plenty of reason to think highly of the US soldiers, but look elsewhere if you desire any detail at all concerning the strategy, tactics, daily life of soldiers, interactions of Iraqis and Americans, and other facets of the operation.
Linda
the photographs by the author were "okay" to look at. I did not read this book. In the begining he speaks mostly about how he gets ready and enters Kuait! I was not interested. I am going on to read DAWN OVER BAGDAD by the same author...
Elizabeth
Zinsmeister has compiled a highly informative and detailed account of his embed with the 82nd Airborne. His writing style and descriptive accounts shed light on a time, place and people most of America missed.
A good book. Undoubtedly somewhat biased but I feel the author does a good job reporting what he saw during his time in Iraq with the 82d ABN. This is a very fast and anjoyable book to read.
Elizabeth
I received a whole new perspective on the war in Iraq, at least in its beginning. One can't be judgemental with a bit more information on the subject.
Stephen Avery
While it is always nice to be the subject of hero worship as a former grunt with the 82nd who deployed with the 325th, this book borders on propaganda.
Holly Beely
I read this while my hubby was in the 82nd, a great look into what it's like on the ground over there.
Nikki Slobodin
Totally biased veiw but informative if you can take it for what its worth...
Debra
Debra added it
Jun 03, 2015
Beau DeLong
Beau DeLong marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Dawn Over Baghdad: How the U.S. Military Is Using Bullets and Ballots to Remake Iraq Combat Zone: True Tales of GI's in Iraq Boots on the Ground: A Month with the 82nd Airborne in the Battle for Iraq From Promising to Proven: A Wise Giver's Guide to Expanding on the Success of Charter Schools From Promising to Proven: A Wise Giver's Guide to Expanding on the Success of Charter Schools