Start by marking “Rowan and the Keeper of the Crystal (Rowan of Rin, #3)” as Want to Read:
Rowan and the Keeper of the Crystal (Rowan of Rin, #3)

Rowan and the Keeper of the Crystal (Rowan of Rin #3)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,915 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Rowan and his mother have been called to Maris to choose the new Keeper of the seaside village's precious Crystal, a dangerous task Rowan's family has been bound to for generations.

But this time, something goes terribly wrong. Rowan's mother is poisoned and near death, and Rowan must find the antidote, outwit a deadly sea serpent, and pick a new Keeper -- before it's too l
Published May 4th 2004 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Rowan and the Keeper of the Crystal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rowan and the Keeper of the Crystal

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsArtemis Fowl by Eoin ColferHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Best YA Fatasy books of the century
64th out of 137 books — 39 voters
The Cup Final Mouse Who Did It by David JacksCleopatra VII by Kristiana GregoryKeys To The Demon Prison by Brandon MullFablehaven by Brandon MullThe Fairy's Mistake by Gail Carson Levine
Best Books In General
20th out of 63 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Alexxy
Jan 12, 2016 Alexxy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
Rowan and the Keeper of the Crystal was so much more interesting than the previous two.
Although I kind of wish it was Rowan who would become the Keeper. Don't ask me why, I don't even know myself.
Annelise Lestrange
Review originally posted on The Book Adventures of Annelise Lestrange :)

The Story

All was well in Rin until Rowan and his mother’s summoning to Maris, the sea shore village. Their source of magic and power, a mysterious Crystal, is in danger as its keeper is dying and, for political reasons, the task of picking up another keeper falls on Rowan’s family hands.

As it usually goes regarding the candidates for the position, the mission is risky and dangerous for Rowan and his mother, but they have no
Jess
Feb 21, 2013 Jess rated it really liked it
i never finnished it the first time round, so i was delighted when i was able to finish this one. that being said is seamed more rushed then some of her previous books and i found myself REALLY confused at the end. bit it was still fantabulas.

seriousally get onto these books. the're awesome.
A.E.
Sep 21, 2016 A.E. rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Rowan is a regular boy living a regular life in a regular village until a message comes one day. He and his mother have to leave the village immediately to travel to Maris. The Keeper of the Crystal, who lives there, is dying, and it’s up to Rowan’s mother, as the Chooser, to pick the next keeper. If a new Keeper is not chosen before the old one dies, Maris will not have the protection it has depended on for so long. They will be vulnerable to attack from their vicious neighbors who stand by ...more
Sarah Eagle
Jul 17, 2016 Sarah Eagle rated it it was amazing
So the first book in the series was pretty weak. Not a bad book, still up to my standards about how good Emily Rodda is as a writer, but not her best work.
Then the second book happened, and my goodness I was so pleased and impressed that I just knew I would love the rest of the series. When I got to this one, I knew I wasn't wrong.
Rodda has an excellent way of experimenting just enough with her books so that you know, as a reader, her plotlines, character techniques, puzzles and cryptic twists d
Whymsy Likes Books
Sep 20, 2014 Whymsy Likes Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rewiewed
This review first appeared on Whymsy Likes Books

Again I was blown away by how well done these books are. Ms. Rodda is a rare talent, she describes these places like someone who has actually lived there and not just a place made up in her mind. In this book the story telling style changes a bit from the first two, but I don’t feel that it detracts in any way. Also the story type is a bit different too. We again get to see Rowan grow, but also rely on the lessons he learned from his earlier challe
Rebecca
Oct 16, 2009 Rebecca rated it liked it
Rowan once again is called on to suffer, this time to choose the Keeper of the Crystal, the leader of the coastal Maris people, whose clans have butchered countless ancestors of Rowan's family in order to stop other clans' members from being chosen as the new Keeper. Fun. It was meant to be Rowan's mother who chose the new keeper but she was poisoned. In a desperate attempt to save her by creating the antidote, Rowan endangers himself as well as all of Maris by playing Russian Roulette with ...more
Daniel G
Apr 30, 2010 Daniel G rated it it was amazing
I just finnished this book. Rowan (as the new chooser) chose Doss of Pandellis who showed great courage and other mighty skills more than Seaborn or Asha. As The new Keeper ( which Doss is refered to) holds the crystal which is shining so bright and tells Rowan to follow him. They went up the stairs and then the Keeper held the Crystal high and it was like a beacon to the Zebak. The Zebak's ships come towards the light and the Keeper uses his powers to summon a storm which tore and the the ships ...more
Lily
May 12, 2015 Lily rated it it was amazing
My favorite in the series so far. It got pretty creepy towards the ending! I must say that I really liked how Rowan’s mother had an important part in the story this time. But as much as I liked the book, it felt a little vague at the same time... I didn't always understand what or why certain things were happening, but hey, it still made an interesting story in the end, and that's why.... MWAHAHA, 5 STARS.

Read this. It's yummy.
Julie
Mar 21, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Julie by: Mom
The genius of these books is in their simple storytelling and the fact that Rodda has an overarching plan for the series as a whole; each volume tells more of the history of the people of Rin, and it's fascinating to me to watch it all fall into place. Everything meshes seamlessly with what has come in the previous books.
Arito Sato
Dec 01, 2012 Arito Sato rated it really liked it
日本語版
ローワンと伝説の水晶
Hannah
Jun 22, 2009 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
This is definitely my favourite of the Rowan series; I absolutely loved the choosing process, watching as Rowan dodged various attempts to sabotage the procedings and a couple of dangerous tasks, getting to know each of the nominees, the final, difficult decision of who would become the Keeper... awesome, captivating stuff.
Amanda
I've been reading this series with my kids, who all think it's great. I was only adding them to get credit for my reading challenge. I wanted to say that even though they are not something I'd choose for myself, I have been enjoying the books as well. Thank you to all children's book authors who write good stories.
Jamie Wates
Sep 25, 2008 Jamie Wates rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody (particullary younger people)
Recommended to Jamie by: Rajee Lau
The Rowan of Rin series are an excellent book series. They are simple addicting and have a great story to them. What more do you need in a novel? Personally, i think that the first book of the series was the best (book: Rowan of Rin) but even if you do or don't agree with me the whole series is definitely worth a part of your life to read and enjoy.

During this book
Benjamin Quiñones
Apr 25, 2013 Benjamin Quiñones rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this book when I was little, and I loved it! So much so that I read the entire series. Because it has been so long, I may be over-fantasizing my memories. Regardless, five stars! For lots of action and monsters and coming-of-age heroes!
Andrea
Mar 04, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it
Fun Read! I think Audrey would like this one. I meant to get the first one, but I accidentally ready this one which is the 3rd in the series. It didn't seem to matter too much, but I will go back and start at the beginning anyway.
Charlotte
Aug 20, 2015 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
This book was a great read and kept me guessing. Which of the Maris candidates poisoned Jiller? Does an antidote really exist? Will Rowan find it in time? What does the cryptic poem mean? Who will Rowan choose as Keeper? Will he make the right choice?
Jessica Duivenvoorden
Good book, but it was too stretched out, and not much happened in the story! Like yeah right that was one night!!!
Me Me
Dec 16, 2008 Me Me rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book. I read it when I was in the 4th Grade and enjoyed it! It's about a boy named Rowan and his adventures in picking the new Keeper of the Crystal.
Steph
Oct 01, 2009 Steph rated it really liked it
These are just good, solid, fun books for about the 2nd-4th grade level. I enjoy the puzzles that Rowan has to figure out and there is always some good action as well.
Cara
Jul 02, 2009 Cara rated it it was amazing
This book is full of suspense and mystery. You can't put it down. Keep's you puzzled right up till the end.
Chris Janson
Chris Janson rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Gautirya Muralietharan
Gautirya Muralietharan rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2013
Ayana
Ayana rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2010
McKenzie
McKenzie rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2008
Crystal
Crystal rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2009
Brandon Petkov
Brandon Petkov rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Evitta
Evitta rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2013
Benjithegreat5 rated it it was ok
Dec 13, 2009
  • The Book from Baden Dark
  • The Adventures of King Midas
  • Space Demons (Space Demons Trilogy, #1)
  • Princess of Tyrone (Fairytale Galaxy Chronicles #1)
  • The Diamond Princess Saves the Day (The Jewel Kingdom, #4)
  • Worry Warts (Misery Guts, #2)
  • The Coming of Dragons (The Darkest Age, #1)
  • Equinus the Spirit Horse (Beast Quest, #20)
  • Love Me, Love Me Not
  • Islands in the Sky (Voyage of the Basset 1)
  • The Evil Elves (Moongobble and Me #3)
  • Wren to the Rescue (Wren, #1)
  • Max and Me and the Time Machine
  • Professor Winsnicker's Book of Proper Etiquette for Well-Mannered Sycophants
  • The Prophecy
  • Kilala Princess, Vol. 02
  • Thorn in Her Side (The Princess School, #7)
  • The Gizmo (Gizmo, #1)
Emily Rodda (real name Jennifer Rowe) was born in Sydney, Australia and graduated from the University of Sydney in 1973 with an MA (Hons) in English Literature. Moving into a publishing career, first as a book editor, and finally as a publisher at Angus & Robertson, Rodda's first book was published in 1984.
More about Emily Rodda...

Rowan of Rin (5 books)
  • Rowan of Rin (Rowan of Rin, #1)
  • Rowan and the Travelers (Rowan of Rin, #2)
  • Rowan and the Zebak (Rowan of Rin, #4)
  • Rowan and the Ice Creepers (Rowan of Rin, #5)

“The flower is not evil because it blooms where it does. It simply exists. As do the fish in this pool, and the bird on the cliff, and you, and I.” 1 likes
“To mix the brew that wakes Death sleep
Fill one spread hand with silver deep.
In hungry pool moons raise their heads:
Pluck one and add the tears it sheds.
Stir slowly with new fighter's quill,
Three times, no more, and let it still.
Add venom from your greatest fear--
One drop--and then the truth is clear.”
0 likes