Start by marking “Faux Finished (An Interior Design Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Faux Finished (An Interior Design Mystery, #1)

Faux Finished (An Interior Design Mystery #1)

More information to be announced soon on this forthcoming title from Penguin USA
Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Faux Finished, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faux Finished

Marie
Oct 26, 2010 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Faux Finished, Jean Hastings is an interior designer and owns Designer Jeans with her daughter, Jean Jr. They have just finished redecorating the dining room at the Sleepy Hollow Country Club and plan to celebrate with a grand reopening. Suddenly, there are two dead bodies and Jean is compelled to investigate.

This book was pretty good. It's a fun cozy mystery with an interesting side story (interior design) and likeable characters. I did have a little trouble keeping some of the characters s
Jeannen
Feb 25, 2008 Jeannen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I picked this title up on the recommendation of a web site where owners of bookstores post reviews of mysteries. It got a good review, and consequently I will never trust any recommendation of that particular reviewer. This falls into the “cozy” genre of mysteries; the protagonist is an interior designer in a small southern town, and there is a lot of describing of interiors and the decorating process in the book. In fact, 57 pages into the book, all I’d read was descriptions of interiors and ca ...more
VJ
Yawn.

That's the "short" version. Yawn.

This book was a boring entry into a usually fun genre. I admit, there were pockets of humor, but nothing worth reading the book to laugh at, honestly.

The story jumped around so much, I found myself re-reading passages and pages, wondering if I'd fallen asleep and skipped whole paragraphs. The "villain" was hardly mentioned in the story, so I had no clue it was that person doing the bad stuff. That is as technical as I can get without marking this as a spoil
Chi Dubinski
Jean Hastings and her daughter Jean Junior own an interior design firm called Designer Jeans in suburban Seville, Indiana. They've just completed a major design of the country club's dining room. But a local bookseller is found dead, and Jean doesn't believe it was an accidental fall off a ladder. She investigates with her sister-in-law Mary, much to the consternation of her son-in-law Matt, a member of the local police.
For those who enjoy American cozies, like Mary Daheim's books.
Heather L
Dec 30, 2010 Heather L rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2011
I had trouble getting into this one and keeping characters straight, even with the list of characters at front of the book. The book also needed greater attention to editing. There were a lot of double words such as "it it" or "the the," as well as a few issues with nouns and correct verb tense. The thing that really made me cringe, though, was reference to Agatha Christie's great sleuth "Hercule Perot." CRINGE CRINGE CRINGE!
Lisa Brick
Jean Hastings fell flat for me. The only real humor to the book were her husband Charlie and her friend Mary. It was so hard keep up with the characters back stories. I was a bit disappointed in the motive.

Truly I picked this up to read on my trip via car from Florida to Texas. I doubt I'll continue the series. It just wasn't a book for me.
Julie
Mar 25, 2011 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book would have been better with more editing. The story jumped all over and there were many inconsistencies. I was disappointed because it was also clean and could have been an exciting mystery.
Kristal
Jean Hastings & her daughter own an interior design business, Designer Jeans. When a local bookstore owner falls to his death from a library ladder & then the club manager collapses while giving a toast, Jean decides to do someone is up to no good & sets out to discover the killer herself.
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2014
Deborah Bartosh
Deborah Bartosh rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Marie-Anne
Marie-Anne rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Arline
Arline rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2014
Jan Yip
Jan Yip rated it did not like it
Nov 02, 2011
L.
L. rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2008
Kassandra Lea
Kassandra Lea rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Debbi
Debbi rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2013
Raine2d
Raine2d rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2014
Carol Clayton
Carol Clayton rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2012
Margaret Von Bevern
Margaret Von Bevern rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Sassy
Sassy rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2011
Kimberley
Kimberley rated it it was ok
Aug 11, 2010
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2009
Melissa Bollinger
Melissa Bollinger rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2015
Caroline
Caroline rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2010
C.
C. rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2012
Tina
Tina rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2014
June
June rated it did not like it
Mar 10, 2011
Valorie
Valorie rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2010
Colleen poineau
Colleen poineau rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Wreath of Deception (Craft Corner, #1)
  • Crime Brûlée (A Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #1)
  • A Murderous Glaze (Clay and Crime, #1)
  • Stamped Out (A Stamping Sisters Mystery, #1)
  • The Mournful Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery #1)
  • Murder Uncorked (A Wine Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)
  • Bundle of Trouble (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #1)
  • Murder in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #1)
  • Some Like It Hot-Buttered (Double Feature Mystery #1)
  • A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)
  • Killer Stuff (Jane Wheel, #1)
  • Death of a Garage Sale Newbie (Bargain Hunters Mysteries, #1)
  • Who Invited the Dead Man? (Thoroughly Southern, #3)
  • Louisa and the Missing Heiress (A Louisa May Alcott Mystery, #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Men Don't Lye (A Soapmaking Mystery, #1)
(from "Stop! You are killing me! website)

Jean Hastings and her daughter, Jean Jr., of the interior design firm Designer Jeans, in Seville, Indiana, in the Interior Design mysteries.

(from Fiction db website)

Seville, Indiana, has five traffic lights and one interior design firm -- Designer Jeans, cofounded by Jean Hastings and her daughter, Jean Jr. Lately they're finding that the keen eyes needed f
More about Peg Marberg...

An Interior Design Mystery (3 books)
  • Decorated to Death (Interior Design Mystery, #2)
  • Fatal Flip (An Interior Design Mystery, #3)