Start by marking “Dalston Junction” as Want to Read:
Dalston Junction

Dalston Junction

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Unwed motherhood in Victorian England spells the end--your chances of marrying, chances even of working, disappear. Unless you can somehow "disappear" the evidence...

That's where "baby farmers" Amelia and Margaret come in. They'll care for your unwanted infant--for a fee.

But what are they really doing with the babies? When the police find dozens of tickets for pawned baby...more
Published June 8th 2011 by Sans Culotte Press

To ask other readers questions about Dalston Junction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dalston Junction

Stephanie
I really enjoyed this story! It was a quick read, but cute and sweet and fun. It was cleanly written and it was apparent that the author knew the subject. I just wish it was longer-- like novella or novel length. I want to read more of Margaret and Amelia's adventures!
Andy Weston
Too short by half, but lots of fun and lots of twists. Certainly I could not guess what would happen next.
Vicky
I read Dalston Junction in the anthology Other Sides: 12 Webfiction Tales. I have to admit I was quite appalled at what I suspected was going on when I first started reading this story, but I absolutely loved the ending. It was definitely not what I was expecting.

I'm glad I picked up Other Sides: 12 Webfiction Tales, as I found a new author to investigate! :)
Lawrence
I picked this up when it was free, but it was better than half the SF short fiction that I pay for in Asimov's and Analog. Amazing how much gets packed in such a little story. Great setting, and great ending.
Ron
This is the first time I'd heard of "Baby Farmers". Scary, to say the least.
MeiLin Miranda
May 10, 2013 MeiLin Miranda added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-writing
I wrote this.
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2012
MeiLin Miranda
Jun 11, 2012 MeiLin Miranda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Jan
Jan added it
Mar 01, 2012
Mitch Davis
Mitch Davis marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2011
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2011
MeiLin Miranda writes literary fantasy and science fiction set in Victorian worlds. Her love of all things 19th century (except for the pesky parts like cholera, child labor, slavery and no rights for women) has consumed her since childhood, when she fell in a stack of Louisa May Alcott and never got up.

MeiLin wrote nonfiction for thirty years, in radio, television, print and the web. She always w...more
More about MeiLin Miranda...
Lovers and Beloveds Son in Sorrow The Machine God (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #3) An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom, Book One: The Tale of Two Kingdoms Scryer's Gulch Episodes 1-10: Annabelle Arrives