Start by marking “Christianity for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Christianity for Dummies

Christianity for Dummies

Get to know the beliefs and practices inspired by Jesus Christ

Discover what it means to be a Christian and follow the gospel

Curious about Christianity? This friendly guide helps you understand the basic teachings of the Christian faith, exploring the common ground that all Christians share, the differences among the major branches, the key events in Christian history, th
Published April 20th 2011 by For Dummies (first published March 5th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Christianity for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christianity for Dummies

Paul Bryant
Dec 03, 2014 Paul Bryant rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: godreads

“IT'S ONLY OUR POOR PREACHER THAT'S PUTTING ON HIS STYLE”
- Vernon Dalhart, 1927

Let’s get this out of the way first : the winsome folksiness of this writer is hard to take. I had to have a bucket handy while I was reading. Example :

God made it clear from the get-go that following him meant letting the good times roll, while going against him would be a major bummer for all parties involved – yucky stuff like eternal death and judgement

Elsewhere, Adam and Eve are described as “the original dynamic
Dina
Dec 13, 2014 Dina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am pissed. I read a health book by this "for dummies" series that I really enjoyed, so I thought I should get a basic book to learn more about Christianity.

The purpose was to better understand history and basic belief system of the religion so as to be better informed. If I wanted to be converted, I would have walked into the nearest church.
What is this? "Christianity is the answer" pamphlet that Jehova's witnesses distribute? And to make things worse, the writer is trying to be witty, and d
Sheena
May 13, 2010 Sheena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Christianity for Dummies" is a good source for the very basics -- identifying denominations, basic overviews of the Big Traditions, (Sacraments, etc) and a basic overview of Christian history. Rich Wagner does not have an apparent bias toward or against any denomination in particular, but does seem to write from the perspective of a Christian. I consider this a great reference for the non-theologian -- as with other books in the "Dummies" series, this book is written to be understood. Tough con ...more
Scott W.
Sep 21, 2011 Scott W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt this is a very good overview of Christianity, and I learned quite a bit. It's not very in-depth, but it's exactly what I expected for a "...For Dummies" book. It's not an entirely objective book either, but the author makes it clear early on what his background and beliefs are and one doesn't need to agree with him 100% on everything to enjoy this book and learn something. A worthwhile read!
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book does a fantastic job of presenting beliefs and customs of a variety of Christians. I was surprised to learn so much about Eastern Orthodox Christian sects. The style of the book suffers from the same pitfalls as many contemporary evangelical preachers, with elaborate unnecessary movie references and corny self-deprecating humor, but it is still an effective and entertaining introduction to Christianity.
Jason
Oct 06, 2013 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith, reference
Excellent resource covering the basics of the Christian faith.
James Emmans
Not bad.
Matthew
Jan 18, 2008 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although a Christian, so unaware of the denominational differences. This book helps.
Michael
Jul 18, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gives a really good synopsis of the history and denominational differences of Christianity. I learned a lot. It was also an easy read, like other '...for Dummies' books.
Carol
Aug 07, 2008 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mom
Recommended to Carol by: Found it at the library
Very informative! Typical Dummies book, but I did learn a lot about Christianity that I didn't know before or thought I knew but really didn't.
Glownthedarc
Oct 11, 2008 Glownthedarc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was great! I recommend it to those who think they know everything, and those who know they don't.
Nevin Gouda
Nevin Gouda rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2017
Felipe Sepulveda
Felipe Sepulveda rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2009
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2009
Christian Méthot
Christian Méthot rated it it was ok
Dec 20, 2014
madonna stands schell
madonna stands schell rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Suzan
Suzan rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2016
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2009
Mrs C E Gunn
Mrs C E Gunn rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Douglas Reedy
Douglas Reedy rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2013
Carrie Hernandez
Carrie Hernandez rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
David Cordes
David Cordes rated it liked it
May 28, 2015
John
John rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2014
Karina
Karina rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2014
Fred Smith
Fred Smith rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2012
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2015
Brad Thompson
Brad Thompson rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2009
Lothar
Lothar rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Deborah
Deborah rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Richard Wagner is author of The Gospel Unplugged and several books in the For Dummies series, including Christianity For Dummies and Christian Prayer For Dummies. He is also publisher of Digitalwalk.com, a Web site for challenging and encouraging Christians living in a digital, postmodern age. Richard has been an avid student of C.S. Lewis’s works for over 20 years.
More about Richard Wagner...