Jim and the Flims

Jim and the Flims

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Jim and the Flims is a novel set in Santa Cruz, CA... and the afterlife. Acclaimed cyberpunk/singularity author Rudy Rucker explores themes of death and destruction, in the wry, quirky style he is famous for.
Jim Oster ruptures the membrane between our world and afterworld (AKA, The Flimsy), creating a two-way tunnel between them. Jim's wife Val is killed in the process, an...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Night Shade Books

jayson
Okay, here is my review "Wow!" ... I am just not sure how to write about this book, or that I even grasp all that there is to the story, but I loved it. Yiou really have to like Rudy Rucker's work to get into this, I am pretty sure, but if you are so inclined, it is a great work. I saw a lot of bad reviews on Amazon, that were so off base it is unbelievable that Amazon let them post em. It is as if those people read a different book. So don't read that poo. The story is not wandering all over, a...more
David Agranoff
Jim and the Flims By Rudy Rucker
247 pages $24.99
Nightshade books

Rudy Rucker is a well know cyperpunk Scienc Fiction author and he is also well know for being mathematician and computer science professor. He is also the editor of Sci-fi's best web-zine Flurb (I may be bias because flurb published a story of mine). Fiction wise he is best known for a series of four cyberpunk books that were kicked off by the classic novel Software. ( I reviewed Software back in 2010 on my blog). To say that Ruck...more
P. Kirby
Despite its inclusion on my Did Not Finish shelf, I don't think this is a bad book. If this book were a guy, and we were having "that talk," I'd say, "It's not you, it's me."

This is the kind of wacky SF that relies on the use of a protagonist who is perpetually confused, and who transfers that confusion to the reader. If you like that sort of thing, a kind of story-on-an acid-trip approach to story telling, you will love this book. If you like goofy, made-up words, like "yuels," "kessence," "jiv...more
Derek
Holy cow, what a book! It is the literary equivalent of an acid trip (or, at least, how I imagine an acid trip might be). I liked this book, but felt a little lost at times. In that way, I identified with the protagonist. However, given the creativity and story telling power of the author I think I'm going to look into some of his other books!

Here's a representative line from the book to give you an idea of what reading it is like:

"I felt light on my feet, lively and strong. My jiva had come wit...more
David Marshall
Although it starts quite brightly, it rapidly grows monotonous and boring. I suppose some may like this non-stop quirkiness, but this odd tone completely undermines the mood in what could have been quite an effective weird story. This is strictly for the Rudy Rucker fans.

Berrendsci
This is exactly like when your friends who do psychedelic drugs excitedly (and in disjointed detail) describe their trips to you. It is hard to pretend you are interested or care after the first five minutes. I sympathized with the dog, who didn't deserve to be named Droog, who slept through as much of this 'trip' as he could...lucky dog.
Thompson
Jim pokes a hole in an electron and the whole world is endangered. Jim has to go through a snail to another dimension/world/whatever to try to rectify his mistake and rescue is dead wife. This book is Alice in Wonderland on acid. Very strange.
Norm
Rudy is revisiting higher dimensional topography he's already covered in previous novels. A good read, with plenty of chuckles and some wild descriptions but I kept feeling like I had read it before.
Josh Vogt
The over-the-top quirkiness and random "dream-like" scenes make this story difficult to understand and enjoy.
Nicholas Frota
as always rucker explain an entire ecology, now of dead people. i love the weird powers.
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Jeremy Frens
Jeremy Frens marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
John Piccione
John Piccione marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Drew Gillespie
Drew Gillespie marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Pete R.
Pete R. marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Angelica Penteado
Angelica Penteado marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Sheryl
Sheryl is currently reading it
Oct 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Rudolf von Bitter Rucker is an American mathematician, computer scientist, science fiction author, and one of the founders of the cyberpunk genre. He is best known for his Ware Tetralogy, the first two of which won Philip K. Dick awards. Presently, Rudy Rucker edits the science fiction webzine Flurb.
More about Rudy Rucker...
Software (Ware, #1) Wetware (Ware, #2) Freeware (Ware, #3) Postsingular Realware (Ware, #4)