Start by marking “Angel's Pain (Wings in the Night, #15)” as Want to Read:
Angel's Pain (Wings in the Night, #15)

Angel's Pain (Wings in the Night #15)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  943 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Blood and vengeance…

Briar needs just two things: blood and vengeance. The first sustains her immortal life; the second gives it meaning. First on her hit list is Gregor, the renegade vampire who schooled her in brutality, then betrayed and tortured her.

To achieve her deadly ends, Briar joins the inscrutable Reaper and his misfit gang of vampires who are also hunting her

Published (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Angel's Pain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel's Pain

Jasmyn
This series is really starting to lose steam on me. The lack of appearances from the original group of vampires that I've grew to love - except in cases of emergencies where they swoop in like super heroes - has really hurt these for me. The new batch just isn't as much fun at the old one.

Reaper and his gang are on the hunt for Gregor for a multitude of reasons. In fact, as the story goes on, more and more reasons pop up. Soon it seems like each of the good vamps has their own personal vendetta
Lynsey A
The book was enjoyable enough but I still never really warmed to Briar's character. Yes, she was definitely better than she was in the first book but I just didn't warm to her. She did have a very terrible life before becoming a vampire but I just don't think it called for her being so evil.

The romance was rushed and just didn't feel real. Nothing was very real to me about their story. Her older books had more romance in them.
Gina
Lack of emotion, lack of passion, leaves this reader disappointed…

As much as Briar tries to make everyone, including herself, believe she’s emotionless, you get flashes in the novel that are quite the opposite. At the beginning of the novel, Briar finds Crisa outside, looking confused, in pain. Somethings up, and as much as Briar doesn’t want to care, we believe she does.

But she’s out for revenge and revenge only. From her step-father to Gregor, all she wants is her chance at pay-back. And no ma
Megan
Book #15 in the Wings of the Night series

However, more recently, it is the third book in a trilogy of continuing stories after Demon’s Kiss and Lover’s Bite. This was a great book! We get to find out more about the hero Reaper and the heroine Briar. Ms. Shayne does not disappoint with the plot, character development, or passion in this book. In Lover’s Bite we got to see Rhiannon who was the heroine in Ms. Shayne’s second book in this series Twilight Memories. This time Reaper talks to Rhiannon
Michelle
Mar 24, 2009 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was confused in the beginning. I couldn't tell one character from another. Once I got a bit more in (about 2/3 of the way through) it really started to come together. Don't give up!
Overall I enjoyed the story. Redemption, love, revenge. Good stuff!
Tara Frye
I read it and it was kinda boring. I just was expecting it to be about an angel cus I never read the series I didn't even know it was a series lol it was just weird how it was called angels pain. Where's the angel? Lol
Evi Asher
Nov 03, 2014 Evi Asher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've really enjoyed these three books. Briar is an interesting character and a step away from the sappy good girl, but she had a vulnerability to her that makes her all the more intriguing.
Looking forward to more Maggie Shayne books.
Steph
Aug 05, 2015 Steph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maggie-shayne
love this series, :)
Noelle Walsh
Jul 28, 2014 Noelle Walsh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very good. I really enjoyed reading this book. It was full of supernatural amazingness that I couldn't help but want to know what happened next. It was fun and had great adventure and I would recommend it to anyone who likes vampire fiction.
Anne (Angel Anne Reviews) Nelson
4/5 angel stars
Phaedra
Nov 22, 2015 Phaedra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this novel
Debra
Nov 21, 2015 Debra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Briar and Reaper's story. It was entertaining, but once more it was just that and nothing more.
Anna
Feb 01, 2009 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 15th book in the Wings in the Night series. Out of the last three books in the series this latest installment is my favorite. I was happy to see Reaper & Briar finally get their HEA. Though I will say the title really doesn't make sense, there is no Angel. I know some readers think this series started with Demon's Kiss. But if you get a chance you should go back and read books 1-12, it really a great series.
Rachel
Apr 24, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Briar has been through such a bad life that she’s dead inside and very cynical. She’s paired with Reaper who is also suffering from his own demons. The first 80% of the story was not interesting and the final 20%, where (view spoiler) was much improved. Overall the book was a 3, but due to the success of the final 20%, I look forward to more. 3/5
yani
I got this for Christmas 2011 and I didn't know it was part of a series--the 15th in a series! I wasn't planning on reading this but I got bored so I figured, 'hey, why not read this?', right? So I did.
It was okay. Nothing special. I mean, I guess it's because I haven't read the previous books in this series prior to reading it but yeah. It's SPG, though. And I read this when I was 13 so... >.<
Aspasia
Nov 17, 2008 Aspasia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vampire/paranormal romance fans
A decent non-sappy vampire romance. Unfortunately, you should probably first read the preceding two books (Lover's Bite and Demon's Kiss), which are okay but only just. There are also a few holes in the story, but plot consistency isn't necessarily the main concern of this genre. If you like your vampires with a strong human element, Maggie Shayne's works are a good choice.
Danielle
Not bad. Maggie's books usually tend to have a good story line, but it's hard not to notice the lack of humor. She doesn't use it very much. So I still find them as good books but they just take a little longer to read. I could almost guess who the next book will focus on, but on the other hand it's left in such a way she doesn't even have to do it. But I hope she does.
Clarissa
Nov 02, 2013 Clarissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was okay, but the first 2/3rds of the book seemed to drag on and on then the last 3rd was rushed. The romance part of it didn't seem real at all. She hates him and will never admit to even fond feelings for another person then wham she's in love wants to stay with him forever and easily says I love you. I have read other Maggie Shayne novels that were done better.
Barbara
Oct 26, 2008 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What happened? The first book in this series was spectacular. I rushed out to buy the next in the series and wondered if it was written by the same person. Angel's Pain wasn't that great either. I debated even reading the third installment, but I had to know the end of Briar and Reaper's story, and in my opinion it didn't do them justice at all.
Terry Ealey
Jul 28, 2015 Terry Ealey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maggie Shayne is a wonderful author. I love reading books that take me out of reality for a while.
Loren (lolace the case) White
I've read most of this series and I've liked all of them this one no different. I was happy that Briar got her happy ending as I am for most underdogs in a story. Maggie Shayne has been in my life as long as Luarell K Hamilton, and if she keeps writing these unique stories she will remain there.
Cheryl
Jul 16, 2008 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the final book in the Wings of the Night trilogy. I enjoyed it and catching up on all my favorite characters again like Reaper, Briar, Jack, Topaz, and even Gregor. Just sorry to see this series end but can't wait to read more by Maggie Shayne.
T.M. Carper
Part of a series and best read in order - at least read the two prior to this (Demon's Kiss and Lover's Bite) or you'll be overwhelmed by the characters as many are introduced in the previous ones and some story lines carry over.

Jessica RiffeKincaid
Dark and mysterious was the main male character in this paranormal romance. Loved the bad guy when you get further into the chapter..he doesn't seem to be as bad as the 'good guys' seem to think he is. It is a tragedy about his fate...
Lori
Sep 30, 2012 Lori rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really hate givig Maggie Shayne a bad review but I wasnt crazy about this trilogy and this last book was the worst. Glad this is not the first book of hers I read. Read the early Wings in the Night books instead of this.
Brigid
I'm really only reading these to finish the series at this point. It's a shame the author and/or publisher didn't let the series end at its peak. It had nearly a thirty year run, but 25 probably would've sufficed.
Lisa
Nov 06, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love Vampire novels
Recommended to Lisa by: No one
So far this book is pretty interesting, and obviously I've missed the ones that came before it, so I will have to go out of order on this series, but so far, so good. I'll re-review it when I complete it.
Kimberly
Nov 22, 2008 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed learning more about Reaper and how it ties back to Eric and her previous books. the thrid book with reapers Vamp is good. But I love the tie in to other books which I also enjoyed
Read Out of Order? 5 14 Jul 11, 2012 12:47PM
  • Strangers In The Night (includes Beyond Twilight - Wings in the Night, #4)
  • Primal Needs (Primes, #7)
  • Sunlight Moonlight
  • One Bite Stand (Mackenzie Vampires #4)
  • Seduced by Crimson (Crimson City, #5)
  • Into the Flame (Darkness Chosen, #4)
  • Moonglow
  • Insatiable Desire (Demonborn, #1)
  • Night After Night (Brotherhood of Blood, #5)
I live in the teeny, tiny town of Taylor, NY, (Alliteration Alert!) though my mailing address is Cincinnatus, my telephone exchange is Truxton and I pay taxes and vote in Cuyler. All of these are at least in the same rural county in the southern hills of New York State; Cortland County. There are more cattle than people here. The nearest “big” cities are Syracuse and Binghamton and they are an hou ...more
More about Maggie Shayne...

Wings in the Night (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Twilight Phantasies (Wings in the Night, #1)
  • Twilight Memories (Wings in the Night, #2)
  • Twilight Illusions (Wings in the Night, #3)
  • Born In Twilight (Wings in the Night, #5)
  • Twilight Hunger (Wings in the Night, #7)
  • Embrace the Twilight (Wings in the Night, #8)
  • Edge of Twilight (Wings in the Night, #10)
  • Before Blue Twilight (Wings in the night #10.5 - A prequel Novella)
  • Blue Twilight (Wings in the Night, #11)
  • Prince of Twilight (Wings in the Night #12)