Start by marking “Putting Food By” as Want to Read:
Putting Food By

Putting Food By

Putting Food By has sold more than 550,000 copies since it was first published. This new revised edition updates the information and adds several new sections on how to: preserve with less sugar and salt make better-than-store-bought foods at home freeze for the microwave preserve and can for the small family can and freeze convenience foods choose the right equipment ma ...more
ebook, Fifth Edition, 464 pages
Published May 1st 2010 by Penguin Group (first published July 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Putting Food By, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Putting Food By

Kristen
Dec 17, 2011 Kristen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I actually considered canning food to be a hard-but-not-crazy-hard task before reading this book. Now I am thoroughly convinced that if I attempted canning anything, one minuscule error will kill my entire family with botulism. Thanks, Janet Greene!
Junio
Aug 14, 2008 Junio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who prepare food, rather than just getting it prepackaged
This book is the go to book for all of Katie's jams and preserves. If you want the tastiest local foods year round, you need to put food by. It includes information, on caning, pickling, freezing, and drying so it can fit your preferences very well.

My mom actually sent us our copy. One of the best presents of the year.
Melani
Oct 14, 2015 Melani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I read an older edition of this a few years ago. My old roommates mother was cleaning out her cookbooks and this was one of the ones she acquired during that phase. It's extremely informative and helpful. Honestly, I may see about tracking down a more modern edition to purchase because it is just that helpful. The recipes weren't anything particularly groundbreaking, but I love how the book breaks down the canning steps and explains why each step is important. Also helpful: there was a section o ...more
Joy
Apr 12, 2009 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-farming
I actually owned an old version of this book and sold it on Amazon a while back when I wasn't canning and my gf made fun of the title and I took it personally! Yes, I'm ridiculous. Anyway, we have it from the library now and it's great. Each section on different ways to preserve has valuable information on technique as well as diagrams and pictures. This basic information gives you a foundation of food storage principles.
Ami
Aug 27, 2012 Ami rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recipes
"Putting Food By" must be the definitive work on canning, freezing, drying, and preserving food. Do you have a burning desire to can salmon? This book will tell you how. You want to know the exact science behind mold? This book has that information. This book has ALL the information.
If I was solely judging this book on knowledge alone I would give it five stars, easily. But the information wasn't easily read, nor were there any photographs to break up the four hundred plus pages. While this is a
Jodi
Sep 28, 2010 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
I think this is the 4th edition of this classic book on preserving food. While it is a wealth of information, I must admit I didn't find it overly inspiring. I am pretty much interested in water-bath canning, and I don't eat meat - so much of the content of this book was simply outside of my interest. It's also a text-heavy book, which is tough these days, what with all the gorgeous photography now included in cookbooks.
Kelly
Jul 18, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canning-cooking
This is a classic, and if you are a home canner you should have this one (along with the Ball Blue book from your hardware store). It contains detailed reference on canning, freezing and drying. For me, it expanded my ideas about how I could put different vegetables by for the winter. Nothing fancy or trendy.
Natalie
I know it is weird, but I do actually READ cookbooks. Apparently this is the CLASSIC reference; I need to find an updated version in a similar vein but with less sugar, fewer toxic ingredients and less processing. Some recipes DO fit this bill, and I could sift those out, but it wasn't the norm for the compilation.
Ethicurean Reads
Jun 30, 2009 Ethicurean Reads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ethicurean review of this title and several others on preserving: "I can, you can, we all can!: Essential books for preserving seasonal bounty"
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Putting Food By, by Janet Greene was recommended to me for learning how to make your own canned goods. It was very informative but I was overwhelmed with all the information. I definitely think its the most important book if you want the science behind canning.
Heather Valachovic
I found this book invaluable for learning how to preserve foods and why certain techniques are used over others in terms of food safety and retarding bacterial growth. I highly recommend it for anyone who has an interest in preserving food safely.
Diane
Oct 14, 2010 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was my best resource during my blur of canning things at summer's end! The recipes are great! If you like low sugar, no-corn syrup, and interesting blends of ingredients, this book is a keeper. Mine is about 30 years old, I need to pick up a current edition to see what has been added!
Jimmie Lindsey
Mar 25, 2015 Jimmie Lindsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Has been a standard of mine for many years. A MUST for all who are interested in "Putting Food By".
Kelsey
Jun 11, 2009 Kelsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never canned before and this was a good introduction, I still have yet to preserve anything but when I have the time this book will definitely be nearby.
Leslie Anne
Apr 14, 2015 Leslie Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good general overview of how to store food. I'm going to try canning meatballs and corned beef now.
Dayna
Sep 29, 2008 Dayna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, gift, food
I have not read the whole book - I have merely breezed through sections. This is a useful reference tool that I am sure to check back on many many times to come.
Mike Moskos
Apr 21, 2011 Mike Moskos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book
This book is an invaluable resource if you want to know how to can food without killing your loved ones. Also, a good reference for freezing, drying, salt curing, etc.
Cheryl
Aug 08, 2008 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: veggie gardeners
Shelves: gardening, nonfiction
Lots of GREAT info for keeping that garden of foods all year round. Easy to follow directions and helpful tips. Good reference to always have handy.
Anne
May 26, 2010 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
If you're interested in canning, freezing, making jam, etc., this is your book. It's chock-full of grandma's best advice...and a lot of hilarious anecdotes about people in town.
Heidi
Sep 21, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent resource. I actually had the 2010 edition to review.

Used it to put my first green beans by today.
Deborah
Jun 23, 2010 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I didn't really read the entire book, but it is a great reference guide. I used it to prepare veggies for freezer. Not sure when I will be brave enough or have time for canning.
Cherie
Apr 16, 2009 Cherie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
C+ This book is a good resource if you want to can, freeze and preserve fresh produce; however, I think (as this edition was rather old, from the 80s) there are probably more updated resources.
Nichole
Jan 07, 2013 Nichole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Good reference book. Mom had one of the earlier editions and I called her to see what it said a bunch. Finally broke down & got mg own copy.
Marissa
Jul 29, 2012 Marissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you wish to do any sort of food preservation, purchase this book. I refer to it time and time again.
Sheryl
Sep 06, 2007 Sheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
fascinating! I am learning a lot...mostly for next year.
But her suggestion to "flash freeze" stuff totally blew my mind. I'm hooked!
Cynthia
Nov 12, 2014 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
After my mother in law taught me how to can green beans in a pressure cooker and put up stewed tomatoes in jars without a canner, I thought I could can anything! This book showed me I was right.
Barb Conner
Barb Conner rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Michele
Michele rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2011
Cynthia Luhrs
Cynthia Luhrs rated it liked it
May 14, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2011
  • Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation
  • The Joy of Pickling: 300 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market
  • Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods
  • Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • The Preservation Kitchen: The Craft of Making and Cooking with Pickles, Preserves, and Aigre-doux
  • Ball Blue Book of Preserving
  • Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling
  • The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Delicious Recipes to Use Year-Round
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables
  • The Encyclopedia of Country Living
  • Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses
  • Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
  • How to Grow More Vegetables: And Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine