Start by marking “The Devil's Right Hand” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Devil's Right Hand

Lilith Saintcrow

The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine #3)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  4,956 Ratings  ·  231 Reviews
A necromancer and bounty hunter who wants nothing more than to be left alone, Dante Valentine and her lover, Japhrimel, are forced into a reluctant pact with Lucifer when they are given the task of hunting down four demons who have escaped from hell.
391 pages
Published (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Right Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Right Hand

Anzu The Great Destroyer
Ok, so apparently Dante has to grieve over someone in each book else Saintcrow won’t be happy. Book two over Japh, and now over Jace. Yay Dante.

I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I touch The Devil’s Right Hand, and I feel like yawning. I touch it again, just to make sure, and I yawn again. I open the book. Chapter 1.
It’s for you,” Japhrimel said diffidently, his eyes flaring with green fire in angular runic patterns for just a moment before returning to almost-human darkness. […]

My vision g
Pippa DaCosta
Jan 20, 2016 Pippa DaCosta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if I've ever read a series quite as frustrating as this one. When it's good, it's OMG-can't-stop-must-keep-reading-this-is-A-MAZING! good, but when it's bad, it's plodding- tedious-we've-been-over-this-a-bajillion-times-ugh-shoot-me-now bad. And it's such a shame, because it could have been so freakin' awesome!

Now, the repetative elements aren't the author's fault. Editors often suggest each book in a series is written as a standalone. Because of the nature of publishing, people
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
The beginning of this story takes place awhile in the future – apparently Dante has quietly snapped from her last ordeal. The ordeal was focused on in the first book and brought to glaring light in the second, it would have broken almost anybody. She is back with Japh and he has slowly been healing her, but also sheltering and protecting her without her knowledge.

Now they have no choice but to get back into the meat of things as Lucifer tries to be creative in tricking and destroying them both.
Schnaucl
Jamie
Nov 30, 2011 Jamie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
********Please Be AWARE, this may contain SPOILERS***************

I have never read a book that disappointed in quite the same way as this one. First, I was already familiar with the fact that Lilith Saintcrow can't seem to make it through a paragraph with out having her main character repeat themselves at least three times. However, if that were the only problem with this book, then I could happily go on ignoring it as a writer's quirk until the end of the five book series, but as it stand this
Lauren
Dec 10, 2007 Lauren rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought my love for ass-kicking femme fatales would be enough for this book to mildly entertain me, but alas, no. The writing is awful and the main character is more of a whiny girl than a female James Bond which is what the cover and synopsis both suggest. Rarely do I stop reading a book halfway through but the only things that kept me going were the fight scenes and those were too few and far between to keep me interested. Overall it was pretty disappointing.
Krystal
I guess this book in the series was okay....I'm a little put off by the writing now, the constant repeating of thought and dialogue is annoying. The stories are just "eh" for me right now, but I'll finish them out.
Meigan
I like this series, but I'm noticing that if I read each book back to back, things start to get on my nerves. There is a lot of repetition. And I don't mean the current book explaining something that happened in the earlier books, I mean the current story as a whole has much repetition. Such as the word noisome. I don't want to hear that word again. Ever. And another thing I've noticed. Dante (or should I say Saintcrow) has a tendency to think things, but turns right around and says them. As an ...more
Anita
Jan 03, 2009 Anita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anita Blake fans who love action/adventure
Book 3 of the Dante Valentine series.

I really enjoy this series. I love the first-person perspective that includes hearing Dante's thoughts as well as dialog and what she's experiencing. The internal monologue adds a lot to the depth of the character for me. The romance is a minor part of the story line - very few sex scenes - really just the emotional stuff, but so well written that you understand her confusion and motivations fully. You can't start this series in the middle - it uses a bit of
Athena
May 14, 2016 Athena rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
If I read the phrase 'molecule-drip nail polish' one more time I'm going to burn the book.
Keli
I love this series. I've read this book, the whole series, at least once a year since it's publication. So I am a bit biased in my love for Dante and Japhrimel. This series is by no means perfect. Saintcrow does love repetition in her descriptions of particular things, so it's not a good idea to read this series back to back. I'd recommend waiting a month in between each book, so that Saintcrow's idiosyncrasies don't overwhelm and annoy you to the point that you focus on the use of "noisome" or ...more
Ladiibbug
Sep 27, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
#3 Dante Valentine

I loved the world Saintcrow built in books 1 & 2 in this series -- and I *adored* Japh, the hero.

I bought book 3 but Dante was so negative, so unlikeable that I couldn't even finish the book :-(
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I really am falling for Japhrimel. The conflict is getting worse in this book. I don't know what is going to happen and now I'm thinking Dante is going to lose her soul. Working with the Devil just leaves a taint which can't be removed. The story is getting weird. Off to read the next one.
Chibineko
While I loved the first two books in the series, I have to admit I was a little disappointed by this entry. Saintcrow has a lovely feel of futuristic UF in her books & it reminds me of some of the old pulp books I'd find at thrift stores as a kid. This book just doesn't entirely capture the feel of the first two. I'll give a warning- there may be some spoilerish stuff in this review.

The third book finds Danny recovering from not only the psychic trauma from the previous case, but also doing
Katie
Nov 14, 2007 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dante is back in 'The Devil’s Right Hand', the third book in the Dante Valentine series by Lilith Saintcrow. After everything Dante has faced, the horrors of Rigger Hall, the death and rebirth of Japhrimel, and the very final passing of Jace Monroe, you would think that things couldn’t get any worse. But you would be wrong.

The Devil isn’t done with Dante. He’s been calling her for a long time and he’s tired of waiting for her answer. Dante has spent time recovering from her final battle in Rigg
Kathy Davie
Third in the Dante Valentine urban fantasy series set in an alternate world. Yup, Lucifer has forced Danny back into his employ.

My Take
Well, Lucifer and Japhrimel. Japh did an end-run on Dante, and she now has to serve the Devil for the next seven years as his Right Hand, read "assassin". But Lucifer also has to protect Danny throughout eternity, and Japh gets his full Demon power back even though he’s Fallen. All that they have to do is find four of the Greater Flight demons who have escaped He
Tara
Hmm.. I really want to like these books. And I do in a strange way. This book, the 3rd in the Dante Valentine series was a set up for the final books I believe.

We begin sometime after the last book. I think at least 2 years, but I can't really be sure. I guess time is all relative. She's has settled into her life away from almost all the long term characters we had previously met, except for one. The poor guy. Dante once again amazes me with how paranoid and hypocritical a person can be.

This gu
Mistress of the Dark Path
In the beginning of "The Devil's Right Hand Man" Dante Valentine is still recovering from the previous trauma of the last book. She had watched her former boyfriend get killed and couldn't do anything to save him. This has caused a lot of guilt that she doesn't know how to get past. Also, she has apparently been back with Japh for some time since the last novel. Though they seem to have been getting along well, their relationship is nowhere near perfect. He is hiding a lot from her and she is wo ...more
Inara
In this third book Dante and Japhrimel are living together in a villa in the Toscano countryside where Japh spoils Dante with gifts and helps her through her nightmarish experiences at Rigger Hall. One day the Prince of Hell is summoning Dante again and offers her to her big surprise a job as his Right Hand. Shed have to hunt down four demons who left hell and Lucifer cant let them get away with it because if he did his role as Prince of Hell could be challenged and chaos would reign in Hell. Th ...more
NyxShadow
Dec 29, 2016 NyxShadow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: numérique, relecture
J'avais pour ainsi dire tout oublié, alors que j'adore. Paradoxal !

En revanche, l'auteur souffre d'un terrible tic d'écriture : elle ne peut s'empêcher de se répéter ! D'un tome à l'autre, d'un chapitre à l'autre, voir d'une phrase à l'autre !!!!
C'est bon, on a compris que l'odeur des démons était la cannelle ...
Shelley
Marianne
Japhrimel has taken Dante to Toscano to heal from the events that took place in the previous book. He is kind, attentive, but also has a tendency to treat Dante like the minor she truly is, at least compared to his long, demonic existence, as a being that existed before humanity walked the Earth. He is also annoyingly tight lipped about the fact that Lucifer will no longer be ignored, he needs a new Right hand, a.k.a slayer of errant demons. Dante is his new weapon of choice. Or is she just a pa ...more
Christine
3.5 stars. It would have been higher, but I was so annoyed with the characters. Firstly, Dante, we get it. You're not human anymore. We don't need to be reminded every five minutes. And Japh, sweetie, stop being such a jerk. Give a little. You want to be with Dante, and that means you have to make some effort to, you know, tell her things. And not push her around or manipulate her or force her to do what you want (even if it's for her own safety).

I like Dante, I really do, but she was so whiny
Amara
Oct 17, 2012 Amara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not at all sure how to rate this one either. It was better than the last one, but still with the repetition that drives me bonkers. I was tempted to give up again about 1/2 way, but kept reading for Japh. Was good after the 1/2 way mark, as was the last one. Seems to be a pattern.

I may have turned on Danny now. She was rather irritating in this one. Although I can't pinpoint if it's the character, or just the horrible repetition. I could have taken her doubts, her whining, and all that... once.
Jenn Carges
I think the only reason I'm still reading this series is because I haven't found something else to read yet. It's a good idea for a story in this genre, but I can't stand the main characters. The lead female is way too needy and whiny. It's also really annoying that the author has her think something and then say it out loud immediately afterward, word for word so we are reading it twice. The lead male has absolutely no personality until this book and now the little bit he has, he acts like an a ...more
Kathy
Jun 17, 2008 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a little while since I read the second book in this series but it took only a few chapters for me to realize why I don't love it. The main character, Dante Valentine, is annoyingly whiny, insecure and immediately jumps to the worst possible conclusion when contemplating others' motives.

Fortunately, while she still had those traits in this book, they were toned down. A bit. I liked the story, though. Dante and her demon boyfriend make a contract with Lucifer to hunt down four demons who
Jan 23, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1.5* I don't get it. I simply don't understand how an author can write the same thing over and over 100 times and expect to a fill the 3rd book and still have readers liking it. Every other page was a painful flashback of the SAME THING or her internal struggle with Japh or how much she hates the devil. over and over. I gave up. I can't get into this author's writing style. This series is no quick and easy read. I can understand the appeal for a small select audience who enjoy the chronic and co ...more
Vivisection
I really wanted to keep liking this series. I was heartbroken when I thought Japhrimel was dead. I was rooting for Jace & Dante's friendship in book 2. But this one? Buy me a vowel because OMG, the incessant whining nearly drove me batty. And Japh? Broody, taciturn, and annoying. Am taking a break from these books for a while.
Crystal
Aug 23, 2009 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic. Hands down one of the best sci-fi series I've read. Lots of new and interesting future based things. This in the series I wish there was just a little more into her and Jaf's relationship. It was good because they're not both lovey-dovey share-my-feelings kinda characters but the romantic in me wanted just a bigger look than the peek into that part of them that I got.
krin
Dec 02, 2008 krin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I enjoyed this urban fantasy featuring necromancer/bounty hunter Dante Valentine. I especially liked the way she worked with Japhrimel and others to find the renegade demons in time. I look forward to reading the next book in the series, Saint City Sinners.
  • The Devil You Know (Morgan Kingsley, #2)
  • The Touch of Twilight (Signs of the Zodiac, #3)
  • Blood Drive (Anna Strong Chronicles, #2)
  • Demon Bound (Black London, #2)
  • Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss, #2)
  • House of Cards (Negotiator Trilogy/Old Races Universe #2)
  • One More Bite (Jaz Parks, #5)
  • Blood of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #2)
  • The Road to Hell (Hell on Earth, #2)
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • Sacrifice (Mortal Path, #2)
Lilith Saintcrow was born in New Mexico, bounced around the world as an Air Force brat, and fell in love with writing when she was ten years old. She lives in Vancouver, Washington, in a house full of stray cats and children.
More about Lilith Saintcrow...

Dante Valentine (5 books)
  • Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, #1)
  • Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2)
  • Saint City Sinners (Dante Valentine, #4)
  • To Hell and Back (Dante Valentine, #5)

“What you cannot escape, you must fight; what you cannot fight, you must endure.” 130 likes
“What you can't run away from, you have to face” 39 likes