Start by marking “A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)

A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove #1)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  13,213 Ratings  ·  1,008 Reviews
“An engaging love story with strong, believable characters. I can’t wait to read the sequels!”
—Mary Balogh

“Prepare to fall in love.”
—Julia Quinn

Presenting the winner of the Avon FanLit contest, the immensely talented Tessa Dare! Tessa’s first Avon historical romance, A Night to Surrender, is a love story to remember—kicking off her wonderfully inventive Spindle Cove series
Published August 30th 2011 by Avon

Karla
I thought I was being so cute when I took a GR buddy up on a dare to read this one if she would read Led Astray by a Rake by Sara Bennett. We're not exactly sure who got the short end of the stick in this affair. I think the Bennett book probably has bigger font, so I got shafted this go-round. When we meet next time, GR Buddy, it will be YOU at a disadvantage.

As I read this, I thought it was a lot like a Doris Day-Rock Hudson comedy, except in costumes and with little of the wit and charm and a
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Keepin' this short...

A Night to Surrender is the first book in Tessa Dare's Spindle Cove series, and a funny, sexy, poignant story! And when I say funny, I mean laugh-out-loud funny! Bram and Susanna are wonderful people who captured my heart, and I couldn't get enough of them. But truth be told, the entire cast of characters is so intriguing, so compelling, so in need of happily ever afters, that I absolutely must read their stories, too.

Honestly, stories like this is why historical romance is
Catherine
"We have to get out of here, Bram. Before they take our bollocks and use them for pincushions."

Bram made his way to the nearest wall and propped one shoulder against it, resting his knee. Damn, that climb had been steep. "Let me understand this," he said, discreetly rubbing his aching thigh under the guise of brushing off loose dirt. "You're suggesting we leave because the village is full of spinsters? Since when do you complain about an excess of women?"

"These are not your normal spinsters. The
Jill

All he's ever been and all he's ever wanted to be is a soldier. At twenty-nine Lieutenant Colonel Victor Bramwell of the British army is too young to retire. A lead ball damaged his knee eight months ago, and Bram now faces the prospect of having to resign his commission. Visiting Sir Lewis Finch at Spindle Cove is Bram's last hope that he might regain his field command. When Sir Lewis acknowledges that Bram's knee is not up to coping with the demands of being an infantry officer, he offers Bram
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*4.5*

Wow, this book marks a momentous occasion for me: I finally found a M/F historical romance that I could fall in love with!

I get it now, folks, I get it. I finally understand why people read those books with the old-fashioned, bosomy women on the cover, embraced with some semi-naked man.

A lot readers get into romance through different ways. Many of my friends cut their teeth on historical romance or harlequin romances. I, however, found my way to romance through urban fantasy. Though I've tr
Jilly
Jan 05, 2017 Jilly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear book,

If you are swept away by the romantic beauty of the Regency Era, and can allow yourself to forget all about the fact that everyone probably smelled terrible, there were no toilets, and most of us would have probably been stuck being a poor servant or wife of a dirt farmer and died early from something stupid like an infected hangnail..... this book is for you.

Like all good romances, it all starts with a harmless little sheep-bombing. Bloody sheep - always in the road. What's a good mil
Future-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮
Mar 28, 2016 Future-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Future-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮ by: Joanita
Where has historical romance been all my life?

Seriously, you guys? Why did no one tell me how amazing it can be?

This book was magical.

I LOVED IT.

Bram. Oh! You stupid, stubborn idiot. I love you. I'd let you ravage me any day. Loves. Get in the man-dungeon.

Susanna. A woman after my own heart. She is doing her part to help women who don't fit the mold that society wants to put them in, be themselves and escape the horrific "cures" that those in the medical world want to inflict upon them. She's
♥Rachel♥
Sep 01, 2015 ♥Rachel♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tessa Dare continues to dazzle! No formal review just a few of my favorite quotes which (fair warning) are spoilery:

"Susanna fair. I want to hear you say you're mine."
She framed his face in her hands and looked him in the eye. "I'll say this. I claim sole possession of my body, my heart, and my soul. And tonight, I choose to share them all with you."

The word "like" did not communicate an unspoken connection of similar minds, or an obsessive attention to freckles. It certainly didn't encompass th
Shawna
4 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

Another satisfying, steamy read from Tessa Dare and a great start to a promising new series! I loved the unique storyline, quaint setting, humor, quirky secondary characters, and especially the passionate, fun, and believable romance between a gruff, alpha military hero and spirited spinster heroine, who were perfectly suited for each other and totally combustible together.

I can't wait for the next book, A Week to Be Wicked, to come out! 4 stars!
Nadine Jones
Wow, with this book I went from: (1) I don't expect much from this book, to (2) wow this actually isn't bad! I think I'll like it!, to (3) OMG I can't believe the suckage here, but maybe it gets better, to (4) I must stop reading, I can't stand it any longer.

At the start, I enjoyed this book FAR more than I expected. It made it to my list by a recommendation (can't remember from where ... Julia Quinn maybe?) but I didn't expect much. I'll be honest, the author's name sounds so made up and over-
edge of bubble
I think I went into reading this book with higher expectations then I should have, after reading my friends' reviews. I could have enjoyed the book more, alas, I couldn't find what I was looking for.

The book had lovely humour and made me chuckle numerous times. I was yawning in between the chuckles, but it's still worth giving it a chance.
mich
This book was SO CUTE! It was really funny too, I cracked up several times, like momentary uncontrollable laughing. The humor was great and the best thing about this book to me.

I enjoyed the story and the romance as well, BUT, I can’t give it more than 3 stars cuz maaaan, somewhere around the 70% mark in my kindle, I just sorta fell out of it and became really bored. The tension seemed to have fled the story by then, and it felt like nothing was really happening.

I struggled to get back into it
Yolanda
#RetoRita
3,5
No es una historia de esas que dejan huella, pero me he reído muchísimo. Unos diálogos divertidos, con unos protagonistas peculiares Bram y Susanna que me han hecho reír mucho. No puedo olvidarme de Colin, qué ratos me ha dado.
Lectura fácil, entretenida y divertida, sin más pretensiones. Lujuria, puyas y situaciones divertidas que te hacen querer seguir leyendo para ver cuál será la próxima perlita que soltarán. Me he reído mucho.
Pepa

3.5

me gusta la forma de escribir de la autora. Me encanta su sentido del humor, las situaciones tan divertidas que plantea y esa ironía mordaz que llenan sus diálogos... el problema es que la pareja protagonista no me ha convencido. No voy a negar que el final es de lo más tierno... pero todo surge demasiado precipitado y pesa más la lujuria que el amor... Tan solo es mi opinión.
De todas formas, seguiré de cerca a esta autora, porque ya he comentado que su estilo me gusta mucho y el libro en gen
Kimberly Carrington-Fox
#RetoRita

Cuando se publique, os pongo por aquí el enlace de la reseña
Rachel (BAVR)
This book has been taking up room on my eReader for a couple months now because I just ... can't ... finish ... it. Reading about these characters just made me want to pull my hair out, which is sad because I enjoy Tessa Dare's prose.

SUMMARY:
Miss Susanna Finch is an unlikely spinster heroine who pretty much runs an unlikely little towned (nicknamed Spinsters Cove) with a group of unlikely spinster girls who like to live away from men as spinsters and be merry (and unlikely). It's explained that
Duchess Nicole
Yay, I found a new author to love! I swear, something about the historical romance genre makes the titles/covers/stories blur together sometimes. Within a few pages of A Night to Surrender, I knew this author writes a bit different than the norm. She managed to make me laugh numerous times. The banter between Susanna and Bram is a happy kind of back and forth and totally chuckle worthy.

So then I settled in with my cup of coffee last night to finish the book, halfway through and comfortable with
Anna Casanovas
Feb 23, 2016 Anna Casanovas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probablemente 4 1/2 estrellas.
Compré "Una noche nada más" este verano porque lo vi en oferta en una librería, me gustó la portada (superficial, sí, pero a menudo un detalle importante), y me llamó la atención que la novela había ganado el RITA en 2012.
La historia de "Una noche nada más" es muy original ya que tiene la valentía de reírse, con elegancia y sutileza, de muchos clichés de las novelas de Regencia. El argumento no es, sin embargo, en exceso elaborado, en realidad es muy simple, pero l
Sleepless in...wherever (no good without caramel macchiato)
Oh my God, books make me bipolar, I swear. I only just cried from The Bourbon Thief and then I was laughing hysterically between the pages of this book, the genre of wich I abandoned while still in high school.

A totally different set of 5 stars, but 5 stars nontheless.
Over and out
Laura the Highland Hussy

Review posted on Demon Lover's Books & More

I’ve wanted to read this one for a while, and the other night I was flipping through to see if it was what I wanted to read before bed. *sigh* I should have known you can’t just “flip through” one of Tessa Dare’s books. I was up til 1 am where I had to stop because my eyes literally wouldn’t focus any longer. In fact, I think the same could be said of all 3 books in this series, since I read them all in the same week.

Susanna is the only daughter of
Jennifer Leighton
Delightfully humorous! I haven't laughed this much during reading a romance novel in a while. Tessa Dare is now one of my new favorite authors.
Jamie
Nov 23, 2015 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-not-read-yet
LOVED THIS!!!!

Ridley
Maybe I shouldn't rate this, since I only got 20% of the way in before I gave up, but it seems about right. It's competently written, in the sense that the spelling and grammar are correct, the dialog sounds like speech and the characters are at least a bit compelling, and nothing about the story really offends me. That much generally earns at least two stars, even if the rest of the book is a lazy, cliched, big dumb mess. It's a bad book, but it's a harmless one, so two stars it is.

Despite what
edzkie♥§*.*§♥
“I’ve never met a woman like you. You’re so much like me. It’s as though we’re two examples of some rare, exotic breed. Only I’m the male specimen, and you’re the female. Clever as you are, you must know what that means.”
“Enlighten me.”
“It means we should mate. We have a responsibility to Nature.”

5++++++ FUN-FUN-FUNTASTIC STAR!! I've read a week to be wicked before this. I love Minerva and my "amnesia boy" Colin, but I now love Bram and Susanna more. I was swooning,grinning lol-ing, "awwww'-in
Arantzazu
3,5. Que no está nada mal como puntuación para ser la primera vez que me acerco a este género .
Me ha sorprendido, me he reído, algunas cosas me parecían totalmente descontextualizadas de la época ( pero vamos que soy una neófita e igual si que encajan en el tiempo que nos narra) y me ha gustado muy mucho como escribe la autora. Tanto que voy a darle una oportunidad a la segunda historia.
Gracias Pepa, esta vez acertaste de pleno :)
Ana
Welcome to Spindle Cove, where the ladies with delicate constitutions come for the sea air, and men in their prime are... nowhere to be found. Or are they?

Spindle Cove is the destination of choice for certain types of well-bred young ladies: the painfully shy, young wives disenchanted with matrimony, and young girls too enchanted with the wrong men; it is a haven for those who live there.

Victor Bramwell, the new Earl of Rycliff, knows he doesn't belong here. So far as he can tell, there's not
Jennifer (FFT Reviews)
A Night to Surrender is Ms. Dare's seventh historical romance and the beginning of her third series. I have liked every single one of her books so I was excited to read her newest and let me say that this is my favorite Tessa Dare book so far! I loved everything about it: the characters, the setting, the plot. It completely drew me in and left me scrambling for more. Okay...enough rambling...on to the actual review!

Much of this book contains both Bram's effort to find and train volunteers for h
Lynsey A
Well, I've obviously been missing out on a great historical romance writer! While not as great as the spectacular Lisa Kleypas, Dare certainly does deliver. This book had passionate love scenes, humorous moments, swoon worthy hero actions, and the warm and fuzzy feelings.

From the first time that Susanna and Bram meet I was intrigued. Their first encounter was a very good "meet cute". The entertaining scenes between the two continued each time they were together. The first love scene was steamy
KatLynne
4.5 Stars

Finally getting around to the first installment in one of my favorite HR series. Another funny, sexy, poignant romance that I enjoyed from beginning to end.

Thanks again, Jilly for leading me to these great reads:)! I read them all out of order and enjoyed many hours of fun escapism.
Madison Mega-Mara...: A Night to Surrender by Tessa Dare 1 3 Apr 17, 2014 09:01AM
The Challenge Fac...: Christina & Gea - A Night to Surrender 19 24 Nov 14, 2013 08:01AM
Q&A with Tessa Dare: Congratulations on the RITA AWARD for ANTS, Tessa! 12 24 Sep 03, 2012 05:43PM
Q&A with Tessa Dare: A Night To Surrender Discussion Thread 2 24 Aug 28, 2012 11:07AM
Thanks 1 67 Aug 30, 2011 07:10AM
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • The Amorous Education of Celia Seaton (The Burgundy Club, #3)
  • Unveiled (Turner, #1)
  • Silk Is for Seduction (The Dressmakers, #1)
  • The Runaway Countess (Nottinghamshire, #1)
  • Sweet Enemy (Veiled Seduction, #1)
  • Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • Never a Gentleman (Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • I Kissed an Earl (Pennyroyal Green, #4)
  • His at Night
  • Guilty Pleasures (Guilty, #1)
  • One Good Reason (Adamson Brothers, #2)
Sign up for Tessa's newsletter and be the first to hear about new books and hot deals! http://tessadare.com/newsletter-signup/

Tessa Dare is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of fourteen historical romance novels and five novellas. Her books have won numerous accolades, including Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA® award (twice!) and the RT Book Reviews Seal of Excellen
More about Tessa Dare...

Spindle Cove (5 books)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
  • Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5)

“No, Susanna, " he said. "I cannot love you just a little. If that's what you want, you must find a different man." His green eyes were breathtaking in their intensity. His thumb brushed her bottom lip. "Because I can only love you entirely. With everything I am, and everything I ever will be. Body, mind, heart, soul.” 55 likes
“No, no. Don't make that face. Every time I propose to you, you make that twisty, unhappy face. It wears on a man's confidence.” 47 likes