Sunflowers

Sunflowers

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  22 reviews
There's nothing like a knock on the door at 3:00 a.m. to change your life forever. Gus Moore discovers how true this is when his ex-girlfriend blows in on an icy January night just long enough to dump "his problem" on the couch. From languid single slob to competent single parent, Gus's metamorphosis over the next six years is remarkable. All is going swimmingly for Gus an...more
Published November 24th 2010 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

Carrie
I wanted to click 5 stars for this book...I wanted to say it was amazing. It really was a great book, but in the end, I couldn't bring myself to click 5 stars because it was just so sad. It really hits home for someone who either suffers with mental illness of any kind or has dealt with the suffering of a loved one. This little book was really powerful and makes you really stop and think.
Books
I would like to preface my review by saying I didn’t read the blurb before I read the book. Sometimes the blurb doesn’t sell the book to me, and oftentimes I then miss out on a great book. Therefore I’ve stopped reading blurbs. Now that that is out of the way, I’ll share what I loved and what I didn’t like so much about this marvellous book. It might contain a couple of spoilers as I outline the characters I feel had an impact on me in some way or another.

***SPOILER WARNING***

Gus – This is the...more
Radhikarani
Where do I start on reviewing this book... Ok at the beginning.. when eternal bachelor Gus discovers he's the father of a 4 month old son dumped on his doorstep at 3am one fateful night. That's the night when he grows up, becomes a manand assumes responsibility for Sam. The moment of taking responsibility is a simple, sweet moment echoed by every parent through the ages. Gus is a perfect father who dotes on Sam and manages single parenthood with lots of self-faith and learning along the way.

Sam...more
Terry Crawford Palardy
In Sunflowers, Melodie Starkey has written a story that brings her characters to life, with all the challenges that life offers. Single male parenthood, tangled and negative family relationships, lost and then realized motherhood ... each character's demons and delights are very well cultivated in this poignant novel. Issues addressed through the story line are right to life, abandonment, parental rights, bipolar disorder, and economic disparity. The author deals with mental illness and its effe...more
Jeri Mihm
quick read, interesting story. I was hooked from the first chapter - wondered where in the world this was going? But I was happy to see how Gus took to parenting so easily; of course his circumstances made that transition much easier than for most of the working stiffs in the world. The story unfolded naturally and flowed well. Overall, I liked it and stayed up late to finish the book. I found that I was sad that it ended. I'd like to know what happens to these characters next.
Adri
I enjoyed reading the book. Sometimes a little twee, but well written. The characters are well developed. The bi-polar angle came as a bit of a surprise, although the disorder is not described or explained to any great extend. Perhaps it could have been, as it is a devasting disease, not only for the person who has it, but also for their loved ones.

This was my first book by this author. I am looking forward to exploring some of her other books.
Heather
I really liked this book and felt it was well written. I was hooked from the beginning when Gus' ex shows up and leaves him with a 4 month old son he didn't know he had. It was at times funny with the interactions of Gus, his son and their friends and other times quite sad with the relationship with the mother of his child and her mental problems. I would definitely like to read more books by this author.
Anne
Initially I thought it was just another domestic ramble. There seemed to be no drama, no adventure and a lot of telling rather than showing. We had a bipolar character but we didn't see it only had it told to us. However, this was rather clever story telling. The drama crept up on me and the pressure built as Gus was so helpless in the finish.

It made me laugh, it made me cry - great read.
Maureen
When Gus first met his son Sam, he was a few months old and was suffering from a badly broken leg, likely caused by Sam's mother Maureen. The story line takes us through Gus and Sam's lives, their friends, Gus's casual relationship with Sarah, and Maureen's re entry back into their lives. A story about love and love, friendships, and family, Sunflowers is a worthwhile read.
Aine
I really enjoyed this. It was a fantastic wee story about a man whose ex girlfriend abandoned her 4 month old baby on him. This wasnt a "oh noes, how do i care for a baby" books. But was more about the man and his son, together as a family. I absolutely fell in love with the characters of Gus and Sam.
Aunty Janet
Gus has his son, who he knew nothing about, 'dumped' on him unexpectedly by the boy's mother. Gus has to grow up quickly in order to take care of him. The story is light hearted and funny in parts, but has a dark side too. I enjoyed the story and look forward to reading more by this author.
Roisín
Normally I don't enjoy fiction books that much. But this one really drew me in from the very beginning very good read and finished it really quick it didn't blabber on and was so good!
Necole Moreau
Love, love this book! It made me cry and laugh all at the same time. Every woman should want their kids to have a dad like this!
Carol
I loved this book! Maureen's illness was so sad, but portrayed very realistically. I loved Gus & especially Sam.
Kim

Funny, angering, and sad. I loved this story about an amazing single father.
Jenny

Wonderful, light-read! Fell in love with Gus and Sam.
Tracy Oliphant
loved this book..
Mike
I gave the tale four stars for the writing quality but I think the story itself was nearer three. It flowed along nicely enough but for me the male pov didn't quite ring true. The whole thing was just a shade too sugary and I thought what little drama there was should have been pointed up to balance out the gentle father/young son home life. The quick transition from slob to caring father lacked believability - a gradual understanding that his life must change in all aspects would have fitted th...more
Kim
I have mixed feelings about this book. There is no doubt that it is a well written story of domestic life viewed from the perspective of a male single parent and his son. It also touches on post natal depression and bipolar disorder. It is at times funny and very moving. The portrayal of the father and son relationship is excellent if a little twee. The book really comes alive though through the eyes of the little boy in the story and I found myself loving him and his 'pitchers' and his big daft...more
Sarah Kate
Strange book in some ways. Intriguing relationships, but still somehow shallow. Ending felt abrupt.
Sue
Really enjoyed this book. Very easy to read, characters believable and wanted it to turn out well for them. Only gripe is some parts were bit simplistic, book moved very fast would have liked more info. But overall enjoyed the book.
Therese
Jul 15, 2012 Therese marked it as to-read
$0.0
Mai
Mai marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Marcia
Marcia marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Andrew Quinonez
Andrew Quinonez marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Wendi
Wendi marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Petra
Petra marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
View From The Closet Doorway The Secret Place Eaton House: Book One Home Sings Me of Sweet Things Sons of Eaton house