Start by marking “Sunflowers” as Want to Read:
Sunflowers

Sunflowers

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  171 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
There's nothing like a knock on the door at 3:00 a.m. to change your life forever. Gus Moore discovers how true this is when his ex-girlfriend blows in on an icy January night just long enough to dump "his problem" on the couch. From languid single slob to competent single parent, Gus's metamorphosis over the next six years is remarkable. All is going swimmingly for Gus an ...more
Published November 24th 2010 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Sunflowers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunflowers

Books
Jan 16, 2013 Books rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2013
I would like to preface my review by saying I didn’t read the blurb before I read the book. Sometimes the blurb doesn’t sell the book to me, and oftentimes I then miss out on a great book. Therefore I’ve stopped reading blurbs. Now that that is out of the way, I’ll share what I loved and what I didn’t like so much about this marvellous book. It might contain a couple of spoilers as I outline the characters I feel had an impact on me in some way or another.

***SPOILER WARNING***

Gus – This is the
Carrie Allen
Feb 16, 2014 Carrie Allen rated it really liked it
I wanted to click 5 stars for this book...I wanted to say it was amazing. It really was a great book, but in the end, I couldn't bring myself to click 5 stars because it was just so sad. It really hits home for someone who either suffers with mental illness of any kind or has dealt with the suffering of a loved one. This little book was really powerful and makes you really stop and think.
Radhikarani
Jan 28, 2013 Radhikarani rated it really liked it
Where do I start on reviewing this book... Ok at the beginning.. when eternal bachelor Gus discovers he's the father of a 4 month old son dumped on his doorstep at 3am one fateful night. That's the night when he grows up, becomes a manand assumes responsibility for Sam. The moment of taking responsibility is a simple, sweet moment echoed by every parent through the ages. Gus is a perfect father who dotes on Sam and manages single parenthood with lots of self-faith and learning along the way.

Sam
Terry Crawford Palardy
Jan 02, 2012 Terry Crawford Palardy rated it it was amazing
In Sunflowers, Melodie Starkey has written a story that brings her characters to life, with all the challenges that life offers. Single male parenthood, tangled and negative family relationships, lost and then realized motherhood ... each character's demons and delights are very well cultivated in this poignant novel. Issues addressed through the story line are right to life, abandonment, parental rights, bipolar disorder, and economic disparity. The author deals with mental illness and its effe ...more
David F Hetue
Aug 01, 2014 David F Hetue rated it it was amazing
A bit sad but funny in its own way.

A bit sad but funny in its own way.

Kept your interest. would have liked a bit t l more information about Sarah's thoughts. Gus was one in a million type of guy!
May 02, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Good Book

This story was very good. I read it almost in one setting. A book about relationships isn't usually one I enjoy but this one grabbed from the beginning and kept me till the end.
stephanie j archambo
Jul 14, 2014 stephanie j archambo rated it really liked it
Rather a true rendition of bipolar disorder sad end

true to bipolar disorder. Unfortunately a sad but true type of ending. It would have been better if the disorder was explained a little bit more in the story.

Jeri Mihm
Mar 27, 2012 Jeri Mihm rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
quick read, interesting story. I was hooked from the first chapter - wondered where in the world this was going? But I was happy to see how Gus took to parenting so easily; of course his circumstances made that transition much easier than for most of the working stiffs in the world. The story unfolded naturally and flowed well. Overall, I liked it and stayed up late to finish the book. I found that I was sad that it ended. I'd like to know what happens to these characters next.
Adri
Feb 15, 2013 Adri rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading the book. Sometimes a little twee, but well written. The characters are well developed. The bi-polar angle came as a bit of a surprise, although the disorder is not described or explained to any great extend. Perhaps it could have been, as it is a devasting disease, not only for the person who has it, but also for their loved ones.

This was my first book by this author. I am looking forward to exploring some of her other books.
Heather
May 13, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book and felt it was well written. I was hooked from the beginning when Gus' ex shows up and leaves him with a 4 month old son he didn't know he had. It was at times funny with the interactions of Gus, his son and their friends and other times quite sad with the relationship with the mother of his child and her mental problems. I would definitely like to read more books by this author.
Anne
Jun 05, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it
Initially I thought it was just another domestic ramble. There seemed to be no drama, no adventure and a lot of telling rather than showing. We had a bipolar character but we didn't see it only had it told to us. However, this was rather clever story telling. The drama crept up on me and the pressure built as Gus was so helpless in the finish.

It made me laugh, it made me cry - great read.
Maureen
Aug 21, 2012 Maureen rated it liked it
When Gus first met his son Sam, he was a few months old and was suffering from a badly broken leg, likely caused by Sam's mother Maureen. The story line takes us through Gus and Sam's lives, their friends, Gus's casual relationship with Sarah, and Maureen's re entry back into their lives. A story about love and love, friendships, and family, Sunflowers is a worthwhile read.
Aine
Jun 04, 2012 Aine rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. It was a fantastic wee story about a man whose ex girlfriend abandoned her 4 month old baby on him. This wasnt a "oh noes, how do i care for a baby" books. But was more about the man and his son, together as a family. I absolutely fell in love with the characters of Gus and Sam.
Aunty Janet
Jul 29, 2012 Aunty Janet rated it really liked it
Gus has his son, who he knew nothing about, 'dumped' on him unexpectedly by the boy's mother. Gus has to grow up quickly in order to take care of him. The story is light hearted and funny in parts, but has a dark side too. I enjoyed the story and look forward to reading more by this author.
Debby
Sep 17, 2014 Debby rated it it was amazing
This is not a book about religion but it reminds me of the saying "God Doesn't Call the Qualified, He Qualifies the Called". It's amazing what a person is capable of doing once they let love and forgiveness into their hearts. A very good read.
Sue
Mar 11, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. Very easy to read, characters believable and wanted it to turn out well for them. Only gripe is some parts were bit simplistic, book moved very fast would have liked more info. But overall enjoyed the book.
Roisín
Jul 29, 2012 Roisín rated it really liked it
Normally I don't enjoy fiction books that much. But this one really drew me in from the very beginning very good read and finished it really quick it didn't blabber on and was so good!
Necole Moreau
Nov 10, 2013 Necole Moreau rated it it was amazing
Love, love this book! It made me cry and laugh all at the same time. Every woman should want their kids to have a dad like this!
Carol
Oct 12, 2013 Carol rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Maureen's illness was so sad, but portrayed very realistically. I loved Gus & especially Sam.
Kim
Oct 30, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it

Funny, angering, and sad. I loved this story about an amazing single father.
Jenny
Jul 18, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it

Wonderful, light-read! Fell in love with Gus and Sam.
Veronica
Jun 08, 2014 Veronica rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Lovely book. I really enjoyed reading it
Tracy Oliphant
Aug 20, 2013 Tracy Oliphant rated it really liked it
loved this book..
Alison Scheppel
Feb 25, 2016 Alison Scheppel rated it it was amazing
What a story! It started very slow & allowed the reader to get to know Gus & Sam. Then Maureen & Sarah made their entrances. Things moved fast & the story progressed quickly.
I found this book to be very touching & honest. In the last few chapters I was reaching for the tissues all the time.
This is one story that I would love to read a sequel of.
Mike
Jan 08, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
I gave the tale four stars for the writing quality but I think the story itself was nearer three. It flowed along nicely enough but for me the male pov didn't quite ring true. The whole thing was just a shade too sugary and I thought what little drama there was should have been pointed up to balance out the gentle father/young son home life. The quick transition from slob to caring father lacked believability - a gradual understanding that his life must change in all aspects would have fitted th ...more
Debra L Mamuyac
Jan 01, 2016 Debra L Mamuyac rated it liked it
Slow...

Slow read...Sam sounds adorable, Sarah and Maureen are polar opposites, Dad is a stay at home parent growing up as he goes along, and the supporting cast is either judgmental or helpful. The book drags and ultimately ends sadly!
Sue Foster
Jun 02, 2014 Sue Foster rated it it was ok
Mmmmmm...,got this for my kindle as it had lots of 5 star reviews. I must say I was disappointed. The subject matter was quite unusual and could have been written about so much better in my opinion. Another annoying thing was everything worked out just so.
Kim
Jul 31, 2012 Kim rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book. There is no doubt that it is a well written story of domestic life viewed from the perspective of a male single parent and his son. It also touches on post natal depression and bipolar disorder. It is at times funny and very moving. The portrayal of the father and son relationship is excellent if a little twee. The book really comes alive though through the eyes of the little boy in the story and I found myself loving him and his 'pitchers' and his big daft ...more
Barb
Jan 20, 2016 Barb rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, easy reading, nice guy who wakes up at 3am to find ex-girlfriend at the door with a 4 month baby, dumps him and leaves....a sweet dad, sad, happy things happen....different ending
Lori March
Feb 29, 2016 Lori March rated it liked it
The character of Gus was so...nice. There was not much action in this book but it was a page turner because I wanted to know more of his story. He becomes a single, first time dad when his four month old son he knew nothing about is dropped on him one night. He seems to adjust unusually quick but the true struggles come later in the book when his son is about 6 years old. This book could easily be based on actual events. Many real life situations, will tug at your heartstrings during a few parts ...more
  • Pearl
  • Summer Melody
  • Angela's Song
  • Vada Faith
  • Wine in my Sippy Cup
  • Twist of Fate
  • Under Currents
  • Village Books
  • My Temporary Life (My Temporary Life, #1)
  • Small Kindnesses
  • One Night, Two Heirs (Texas Cattleman's Club: The Showdown #1)
  • The Curiosity Cabinet