Start by marking “The David Suzuki Reader: A Lifetime of Ideas from a Leading Activist and Thinker” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In these provocative essays -- some reprinted, others previously unpublished -- leading environmentalist David Suzuki explores the limits of knowledge and the connectedness of all things; looks unflinchingly at the destructive forces of globalization, political shortsightedness, and greed; cautions against blind faith in science, technology, politics, and economics; and pr ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Greystone Books (first published January 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The David Suzuki Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The David Suzuki Reader

Woody
Jun 24, 2014 Woody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well worth reading with intelligent, passionate essays about conservation and the environment. The part I most want to share is "The Nature Challenge" at the end of the book in response to the question that Suzuki was repeatedly asked: What can I do? This:

"The Nature Challenge

Find ways to reduce your home heat and electricity use by 10 percent

Replace household pesticides with nontoxic alternatives

Choose an energy-efficient home and appliances

Eat meat-free meals once a week

Prepare your meals with
Janie
Oct 04, 2009 Janie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, shorts
I picked this off the library shelf; I wasn't looking for it, but I've had my eye on Suzuki.

This has almost 100 essays by Suzuki. I'm trying to expand my reading both on the ol' anthropogenic Global Warming debate and environmental issues apart from that. Suzuki says a lot I don't agree with, and a lot that I do agree with too. The book was really thought provoking (can thoughtprovoking be one word yet? it's too pat for a phrase), the section on ethics in particular. I'll read more of his stuff
Virginianoor
Jul 12, 2015 Virginianoor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is part environmentalism, part autobiography. I loved it, especially as I could read a few essays, put it down, and come back a week or two later. The essays are self-contained.
Greta Stough
Mar 20, 2008 Greta Stough rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just look at his picture on the cover--could there be a wiser, more sensitive man to show you the way you should treat the earth? This is a collection of essays from other books as well as some he has never published before and there is a good blend of personal history, context, and tough science in content. His writing is straight forward, pleasing, and reasonable. Show me the way David...
Mary
Aug 27, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
I read this book during the end of my adolescence, as I was already vegetarian and somewhat of an anarchist, or so I liked to imagine... It pinpointed arguments on how my ways could better the world, and that I could find ways to even outdo my owns habits and lifestyle.
Dan
Jul 25, 2011 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish i could remember my favorite essays from this book, since the book itself is quite big. It does end up slightly repetitive, but I suppose that's inevitable for someone with such passion. Recommended for anyone interested.
A.J.
Dec 16, 2012 A.J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This man writes a lot of sense. I just wish more people could see the truth of what he says.
Anniclaude
Aug 29, 2012 Anniclaude rated it liked it
Very interesting, outlines different problems in today's world concerning the environment
Aug 22, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He's spectacular.
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Stacy
Stacy is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2016
Hanna
Hanna marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Kimberly C
Kimberly C marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Onyee
Onyee marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Ashraf Roumie
Ashraf Roumie marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Tatenda
Tatenda rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
G Losee
G Losee rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Jody
Jody marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Inge
Inge rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Elle Pea
Elle Pea marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Bhavika
Bhavika marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Rebecca Lavelle
Rebecca Lavelle marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Ysabel
Ysabel rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Fernleaf
Fernleaf marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Ashley Christy
Ashley Christy marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
  • The Hidden Half of Nature: The Microbial Roots of Life and Health
  • Ecological Design
  • A Spring without Bees: How Colony Collapse Disorder Has Endangered Our Food Supply
  • Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind
  • The Hidden Forest: The Biography of an Ecosystem
  • Poussières d'étoiles
  • Song for the Blue Ocean: Encounters Along the World's Coasts and Beneath the Seas
  • The Skeptical Environmentalist: Measuring the Real State of the World
  • Why We Disagree about Climate Change: Understanding Controversy, Inaction and Opportunity
  • Uncommon Ground: Rethinking the Human Place in Nature
  • Mind and Nature: A Necessary Unity
  • Planting in a Post-Wild World: Designing Plant Communities for Resilient Landscapes
  • The Ocean of Life: The Fate of Man and the Sea
  • The Sweet Breathing of Plants: Women Writing on the Green World
  • Silence of the Songbirds: How We Are Losing the World's Songbirds and What We Can Do to Save Them
  • Food Rebellions!: Forging Food Sovereignty to Solve the Global Food Crisis
  • Endgame, Vol. 2: Resistance
  • Intellectual Foundation of Information Organization
David Suzuki is a Canadian science broadcaster and environmental activist. A long time activist to reverse global climate change, Suzuki co-founded the David Suzuki Foundation in 1990, to work "to find ways for society to live in balance with the natural world that sustains us." The Foundation's priorities are: oceans and sustainable fishing, climate change and clean energy, sustainability, and Da ...more
More about David Suzuki...