Start by marking “Seawitch” as Want to Read:
Seawitch

Seawitch

3.56  ·  Rating Details ·  1,834 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The tale of murder and revenge set on a remote oil rig, from the acclaimed master of action and suspense.

SEAWITCH

The massive oil-rig is the hub of a great empire, the pride of its billionaire owner.

Lord Worth, predatory and ruthless, has clawed his way to great wealth. Now, he cares for only two things - Seawitch and his two high-spirited daughters. One man knows this:

John
Paperback
Published September 5th 2005 by HarperCollins (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Seawitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seawitch

أنا بخير .. كيف تجتاز الأوقات الصعبة by Ryuho OkawaThe Star by Michele BrezaHowl's Moving Castle Film Comic, Vol. 2 by Hayao MiyazakiLove so Life, Vol. 15 by Kaede Kouchiلأنني أحبك by Guillaume Musso
to read in 2015
32nd out of 102 books — 11 voters
The Sea Keeper's Daughters by Lisa WingateFirst Frost by Sarah Addison AllenThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil GaimanBig Little Lies by Liane MoriartyThe Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
Books To Read in 2015
92nd out of 292 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

Catyj
May 17, 2014 Catyj rated it liked it
Another Alistair MacLean novel that I first read as a teenager (my father's selection of books has a lot to answer for). Again, there are no surprises. Our hero is beyond skill and beyond reproach. His love interest is weak and flat and silly, and just a tad whiny. The bad guys have destruction of epic proportions in mind. And the US military is easily flummoxed and deceived. Seawitch remains another of my favourite MacLean novels - alongside Circus, The Golden Gate and River of Death.
Alistair
George
"Μάγισσα της θάλασσας", εκδόσεις ΒΙΠΕΡ.

Ποια είναι η υπόθεση: Ένας λόρδος έχει καταφέρει να φτιάξει μια πλατφόρμα πετρελαίου, την Μάγισσα της θάλασσας, όπου μπορεί να αντλεί πετρέλαιο με αρκετά χαμηλό κόστος και να το πουλάει σε επίσης χαμηλές τιμές. Αυτό όμως δεν συμφέρει τον ΟΠΕΚ και τους δέκα μεγαλύτερους επιχειρηματίες που πουλάνε πετρέλαιο, και έτσι προσλαμβάνουν έναν ειδικό στα εκρηκτικά και στις διάφορες αποστολές σαμποτάζ, για να βγάλει από την μέση την πλατφόρμα του λόρδου. Βέβαια ο λόρδ
Astrid
Nov 21, 2016 Astrid rated it liked it
Like most books of this genre, you know who's the hero and who's the bad guy, and who's going to survive from quite early on (and of course the heroes are about as bad as the villains, but I guess that is a unwritten (or was it written...) rule of the action/adventure genre. )

This book involves a millionaire with a modern oil drilling/ searching platform, his ex police- officer friends and of course some villains that are jealous of the millionaires enterprise. They decide to get rid of the thre
Matthew DeBettencourt
Dec 30, 2012 Matthew DeBettencourt rated it really liked it
Ten major oil investors plot against one of the most powerful oil tycoons in the world, a British Lord named Lord Worth. But when Lord Worth catches wind of their secret meeting, he comes up with a plan to defend the Seawitch--his most prominent oil rig--at any cost.

Believe it or not, I actually picked up this book because, shortly before seeing it, Alistair MacLean was a question (or answer?) on Jeopardy. So I read it, and I enjoyed it.
It is fast-paced, so despite the long chapters, the ride wi
Gannonl
Feb 14, 2013 Gannonl rated it really liked it
In the world of big oil business' anything goes. Even if people may get hurt. That is the way that ten of the biggest oil magnates work. They hire a ruthless man to destroy the dream rig of their top rival. The only things that the ten magnates did not count on were the work of two private detectives, how ruthless their man actually was, and the connections millionaires have.
Allister MacLean writes a great novel filled with suspense, romance, and lots of action.
Piers Platt
Apr 29, 2015 Piers Platt rated it did not like it
I love "Where Eagles Dare," but Seawitch is...frankly, a mess. Characters are one-dimensional, plot stretches credulity at several points, and I honestly thought my ebook was corrupted and missing a few pages. Then I realized that no, the author actually intended to wrap up the entire book's plot with a five page climax. Skip it.
Suby
Aug 13, 2011 Suby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A three legged oil drilling rig owned by a British Lord, 10 of his competitors who wants the lord and his rig destroyed to stabilize oil prices, a villain who will undertake the demolition of the lord and his rig and two ex cops turned private detectives - these are the characters.
The story is fast paced with all of Alistair MacLean intrigues and suspense. A good thriller to read for leisure.
Danny Marshall
Mar 07, 2016 Danny Marshall rated it did not like it
Poor. I love Alistair Maclean, and like some of his later books which admittedly aren't his best, and everyone else marks down - but even I can't condone this effort.

It starts badly and he loses all interest 2/3 through. The characters are as appalling as the dialogue with no redeeming qualities - I wanted them all to die. They do ridiculous things and all hate each other.

Poor show, Al.
Nerissa
Surprised they haven't made a cheap hollywood movie staring sean connery as the wealth oil mogul scot and steven segal as the renegade cop. Some very unbelievable scenarios that would suit hollywood.
Fredrick Danysh
Apr 29, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
The Sea Witch is an oil drilling platform in the North Sea. A group of terrorists attempt to capture and destroy the rig. One man has to prevent this.
Ludo Theuns
Mar 20, 2013 Ludo Theuns rated it really liked it
Shelves: gelezen
Het is ongelofelijk dat de reeks van techno trillers die zo lang geleden geschreven zijn, ook vandaag nog zonder moeite de lezer kunnen boeien, zonder ouderwets over te komen.
পীয়্যান নবী
অনেকদিন পর ডিটেকটিভ থরিলার পড়লাম। অনেকদিন বলতে অনেক অনেক দিন!

ভালই... আহামরি কিছু না। একবার পড়ে ফেলাই যায়... একটানে!
লেখকের আরেকটা বই হাতে আছে। পড়ে ফেলব! ধনযবাদ পরিতম সাজেশনের জনযে :)
Thomas Strömquist
Not a very memorable MacLean from the late 70's. Reads a lot like a action movie script with poor characterization and dialog.
Sarah Sammis
Feb 15, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pc, read-in-2005
I've heard good things about MacLean's books but even at the halfway point in this book I just wasn't engaging with the plot or the characters.
Alistaire King
Jan 20, 2016 Alistaire King rated it really liked it
Hadn't read this book for a long time and I have to say I enjoyed reading it again. Unlike some later MacLean books this had, as Elvis would say, a little less conversation a little more action.
John
John rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2011
Madhu Nandakumar
Madhu Nandakumar rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Danie Coetzee
Danie Coetzee rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Joshua
Joshua rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Andreas Hjelde
Andreas Hjelde rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2014
Marian Wilder
Marian Wilder rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Charles
Charles rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2015
Gramma Bean
Gramma Bean rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2011
Tamara
Tamara rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2012
Simon Cherian
Simon Cherian rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2011
Meghna Sinha
Meghna Sinha rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2013
Nana Aboagye
Nana Aboagye rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2014
Gerry Mayer
Gerry Mayer rated it it was ok
Oct 08, 2016
  • Alistair MacLean's Air Force One Is Down
  • The Tightrope Men
  • Alistair MacLean's Red Alert
  • Campbell's Kingdom
  • Pray for a Brave Heart
  • Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2)
  • Vodka Doesn't Freeze (Detective Jill Jackson, #1)
Alistair Stuart MacLean (Scottish Gaelic: Alasdair MacGill-Eain), the son of a Scots Minister, was brought up in the Scottish Highlands. In 1941, at the age of eighteen, he joined the Royal Navy; two and a half years spent aboard a cruiser were to give him the background for HMS Ulysses, his first novel, the outstanding documentary novel on the war at sea. After the war he gained an English Honour ...more
More about Alistair MacLean...