Start by marking “The Han Solo Adventures: Star Wars” as Want to Read:
The Han Solo Adventures: Star Wars

The Han Solo Adventures: Star Wars (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures #1-3)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  2,025 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Han Solo soars again--in this awesome trilogy of his extraordinary exploits. Ride with him as he rides to the rescue, narrowly escapes certain death, and foils evil in its ruthelss tracks!

Features a bonus section following the novel that includes a primer on the Star Wars expanded universe, and over half a dozen excerpts from some of the most popular Star Wars books of the...more
Published June 28th 2011 by LucasBooks (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Han Solo Adventures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Han Solo Adventures

Whispers from the Pirate's Ghost Whisper
The Han Solo Adventures penned by Brian Daley were the first "spin-off" novels allowed by Lucas and the Star Wars Franchise. Daley saw Star Wars and, like many of us, instantly fell in love with the story.

For me, Star Wars was alot like watching the old black and white Harol Flynn movies of pirates and Spanish Galleons, treachery and swashbuckling heroes. Always a beautiful compatriot in the mix and crazy hair raising stunts born out of deaparation that only comes with a band of heroes up agains...more
Ron
Not bad. Not good, but not bad.

Writing early fan fiction, just after the debut of what we now call Episode Four, Brian Daley wrote decent, if uninspired space opera using the bare bones of Han Solo and Chewbacca's persona from the first Star Wars movie. "Jedi" is mentioned once in three tales. The Empire about once per story. And no other SW character than Han and Chewy appear, other than a single closing reference to Jabba the Hutt.

It isn't even very good science fiction: repeatedly Daley falls...more
John Yelverton
A great novel that fills in the gaps about Han Solo's origins.
Stephanie
Mar 03, 2009 Stephanie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars fans, Han Solo fans
Recommended to Stephanie by: Mary
Don’t get excited, Han Solo. It’s not like I called you a stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf herder. I simply gave this book about you three stars. Don’t get me wrong – I really enjoyed the book (three books in one, really). It’s just that your books are up against some real classics like Jane Eyre and A Tale of Two Cities and Hamlet… (What’s that? You’ve never heard of them? Well, they were written a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.)

These books are just what I’d expect f...more
Doctor Edward Diesel
I don't know how Brian Daly got involved in writing a series of prequel books featuring the adventures of Han Solo and his wookie partner but he was the perfect man for the job. Each of these books is distinguished by fast paced action, snappy dialog and old fashioned cliffhanger plotting to keep the reader interested. I read these as a teenager and liked them very much and then read them again after 30 years as an an adult and I was very pleased to see that my memory was not playing me false an...more
Kent
I feel like I'm one of the few that actually enjoyed this book quite a bit. It was written just a year or two after the first film came out, so I find it rather neat the authors perspective of the Star Wars universe before there really was one. You don't read too much about the characters and species mention here in other books, but there are a lot of little things that continue to be used in the SWU. This book is three short novels of Han and Chewy's exploits before they became involved with th...more
Travis
Almost no connection to the movies, besides Han and Chewbacca are the heroes, but all three books are great bits of space opera.
Lots of fun and adventure.
I think 'At Stars End' is the best of the three.
Justine
Witty, entertaining and action-packed! This book is like having Han Solo tell you his story as it happens. This one's hard to let go!
JC
I read these about 30 years ago, I got the entire set at one time. It seems that the books written back then, that were written for fans, but targeted to kids, were kept at a strict "under 200 pages" limit. Nowadays, thanks to authors like JK Rowling, a book can be 2000 pages and not seem excessive, even if it's written for children.

Re-reading these after all these years, and having been spoiled by the "skies the limit" page count in modern books, I started to wonder if the editors were followi...more
Mark
I recently bought this omnibus edition for my kindle as my original paperbacks from way back when are hiding in a box somewhere. While re-reading the books brought back the same enjoyment that I remember from when I first read them back in the 1980's, a couple of annoying and possibly even deliberate spelling mistakes in the kindle edition did detract from my enjoyment. So, if anyone is thinking about buying the kindle version then I'd suggest thinking twice and perhaps picking up the paperback...more
Jan 29, 2012 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars EU fans
I liked these stories well enough. I don't have much experience reading the Star Wars EU books, so I can't judge these stories as compared to the rest. I felt these were solid, yet run of the mill adventure stories. The biggest (and some may say only) thing they have going for them is Han Solo. He is pretty close to how I think he should be portrayed in the book, with no major out of character moments that I can recall.

I'll give it 3 stars because it wasn't anything special but I still enjoyed...more
Michael
Brian Daley's "The Han Solo Adventures" is among the very earliest books ever published that expanded upon the world of "Star Wars." A trilogy published between 1979 and 1980, they detail a few of Han Solo and Chewbacca's adventures prior to the original film. In "Han Solo at Stars' End," they set out to find a famous illegal ship builder who has disappeared and things become even more personal when Chewie is captured by the enemy. In "Han Solo's Revenge," the smugglers try to find out who set t...more
Chuck Cottrell
Wile it doesn't bear much resemblance to later Star Wars expanded universe novels, the Han Solo Adventures are still fun sci-fi adventure novels. They play out more like old adventure serials than contemporary Star Wars novels, but that sort of fits the milieu of the original film. So, while they don't quite work as Star Wars novels, they're still a heckuva lot of fun!
Roberta
Jan 28, 2008 Roberta rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Han and Chewie fans, Star Wars fans in general
One of the earliest written Star Wars novels, this book is actually a reprint of a trilogy.

Han is the typical scoundrel who supposedly cares for no one but Chewbacca and only wants to make profit, but his selfish facade masks a heart of gold.

The series is well written, but doesn't stand out. Still if you like Han Solo and Chewie, you'll like this series just fine.
Lillian
A fun read with lots of action; this action is described in such detail that it's as if the book is trying to make you literally see it like a movie.
Eric Farr
The novels of Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures capture the spirit of serial pulp novels, true to the retro adventure story feel of the Classic Trilogy. These novels must be considered Classic Star Wars themselves, published as they were between 1979 and 1980. And they are deserving of reading decades later because they are really fun, self-contained action-adventures.

Han Solo has always been one of my favorite Star Wars characters, the iconic scoundrel with the heart of gold. And this series s...more
Joseph
Not bad. Not good, but not bad. There are 3 short stories rolled into 1 book from 1979.

It is a little weird how this came from the Lucas world and there was no real mention of the Empire, just this lame thing called the Corporate Sector Authority, which has not been mentioned in any other books that I have read at least. These all take place before New Hope.

Star's End is 2 star. The written character of Han didn't seem right. Chewy had a lot action, which was cool.

Han Solo's Revenge is 3 star....more
Dylan Gullberg
Not as good as A.C. Crispin's excellent origin trilogy, these three tales are still fun, solid adventures that precede the events of the original films. Crispin's trilogy begins with a teenage Han that spans several years leading to the original cantina scene in the first film, whereas this book consists of three standalone tales that fit somewhere between those years. They are fun and work well as a weekend read, but don't live up to the dynamic plot and characterization of the other trilogy.
Kayla
These are three stories of Han Solo as a jerk, after his disillusionment in the Corellian military and before he saves Luke at the first Death Star.
The first novel, _Han Solo at Stars' End_, is one space smuggler adventure after another. Fun.
I had trouble with the premise of the second novel, _Han Solo's Revenge_. In this, he and Chewbacca go through ridiculous amounts of trouble to get paid for a delivery they do not make -because the cargo was slaves. I couldn't see how they expected to get p...more
Liz
Not great, but enjoyable adventures starring everyone's favorite smuggler and his furry co-pilot. Han and Chewbacca's characters are pretty flat, but that's what I'd expect from middle-of-the-road fannish science fiction. My ranking:
1. Han Solo at Star's End
2. Han Solo and the Lost Legacy
3. Han Solo's Revenge
Tom
Badass book. Who doesn't like Han Solo running rough shod over the galaxy taking no prisoners? If you expect this to be Dante, War and Peace, or something of that sort, well you're obviously going to be disappointed. Enjoy it for what it is; even Colt 45 has it's 5 Star Moments.
Maythavee
The Han Solo Adventures was an enjoyable read! Han Solo is my favourite character from the Original Trilogy so I wanted to more about him and what he was like before A New Hope.

We got a little bit of Han’s past from the three stories, it wasn’t much but it did tell us the reason why he acts the way he does. Another thing that I really enjoyed was Han and Chewbacca’s relationship. They were best friends and partners. There wasn’t any doubt about it. I just love them together and apart.

The plots...more
Danial
The content in this trilogy covers a span of history that takes place in between Episode III and Episode IV, but it fails to answer many of the questions that enthusiasts might have (Why is Solo in debt to Jabba? What is the Kessel Run? How did Solo get the Falcon?), so its historical impact is largely negligible and an unnecessary detour in the Star Wars timeline.

It is however an enjoyable read that is simplistic, nonchallenging, and perfect for a young adult (or preteen) wanting to make the tr...more
Jason
Unlike most Star Wars novels, these ones were written back in 1979 before Star Wars was the complete cultural phenomenon it is now. Also, they focus on Han Solo and Chewbacca before Episode IV comes out. It deals with the duo as smugglers in the Corporate sector, and are action-packed with betrayals and colorful characters galore. A real contribution to the Star Wars lit and if you like reading Star Wars novels, you should read these.
Scott Rhee
If you are a Star Wars freak like me, you will probably enjoy this book, which is actually three novels in one. Brian Daley wrote these in the late-70s, pre-"Empire Strikes Back", so there is little to none of the Lucas mythology. They're basically Han Solo's solo adventures, prior to the events of "A New Hope". Not as good as the more recent A.C. Crispin series, but they are still entertaining. Quick, pulpy reads.
Henry
I thoroughly enjoyed it. The author did a fine job capturing the personality of Han Solo and if you think about it, a deeper part of him that he struggles with like in the movies. Even the "little" obstacles or trials that he faces shed light to another Han that we all see in Return of the Jedi. Be prepared for some memorable moments and some thrilling scenes in this book by Brian Daley.
Bill Jacobs
Gallandro. The only character other than Han Solo and Chewbacca who made the storybook much interesting. Without Gallandro, it was painful to read and complete few chapters. It isn't just painful but pain in the butt. The author' old fashioned style of writing stalled me through the book. Not recommended for a young Star Wars fan. It's a book buffer in my library.
John Cook
Apr 15, 2013 John Cook rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Youth, or fans of Han Solo and Chewbacca
Recommended to John by: Me
This is my favorite way to read a series. All books in one volume. Brian Daley's style seems to be geared to younger readers, so it may not be for everyone. The story arc was interesting, and the character development was adequate. This is only worth the read if you are a fan of Han Solo and Chewbacca, which I am.
Timothy
I thoroughly enjoyed these books as a kid. I was a huge Star Wars fan (till George Lucas sort of wrecked it for me) and Han Solo is one of my top favorite characters of fiction of all time. Don't know how I would feel about them now, but I remember deriving much pleasure from them back in the day :)
Kelly
Han Solo, with no Empire, no Jedi, just the Corporate Sector Authority, and a mix of interesting characters who adventure across a small section of the galaxy. My favorite was the Lost Legacy, and for stories written before the Empire Strikes Back (although Lost Legacy came after), they're a fun read.
  • The Adventures of Lando Calrissian (Star Wars: The Adventures of Lando Calrissian, #1-3)
  • Tales from the Empire (Star Wars)
  • Slave Ship (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #2)
  • Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina (Star Wars)
  • The Paradise Snare (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #1)
  • Starfighters of Adumar (Star Wars: X-Wing, #9)
  • Shield of Lies (Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis, #2)
  • Showdown at Centerpoint (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #3)
  • Death Star (Star Wars)
  • The New Rebellion (Star Wars)
  • Wedge's Gamble (Star Wars: X-Wing, #2)
  • Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (Star Wars)
  • The Final Prophecy (Star Wars: New Jedi Order, #18)
  • Yoda: Dark Rendezvous (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #7)
Brian was born in Englewood Hospital in Englewood, New Jersey on Dec. 22, 1947. A blizzard kept him and his mother at the hospital over Christmas, and the nurses sang "Away in a Manger" to them.

His middle name is Charles. He grew up in Rockleigh, NJ. His mother's name was Myra and his father's name was Charles. He has an older brother, David, and a younger sister, also named Myra. He had no child...more
More about Brian Daley...
Han Solo at Stars' End (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures, #1) Han Solo's Revenge (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures, #2) Han Solo and the Lost Legacy (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures, #3) The Doomfarers of Coramonde (Coramonde, #1) Requiem for a Ruler of Worlds (Alacrity FitzHugh & Hobart Floyt, #1)