Start by marking “The Golden Rendezvous” as Want to Read:
The Golden Rendezvous

The Golden Rendezvous

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  1,234 ratings  ·  27 reviews
A timeless classic of modern-day piracy from the acclaimed master of action and suspense.

Aboard the SS Campari, all is not well.

For Johnny Carter, the Chief Officer, the voyage has already begun badly; but it’s only when the Campari sails that evening, after a succession of delays that he realises something is seriously wrong.

A member of the crew is suddenly missing and th
Paperback
Published May 6th 2008 by HarperFiction (first published January 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Rendezvous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Rendezvous

Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1984:]. A MacLean I thought I'd read, but I had no recollection of it. I must admit that I found the non-stop slaughter a little more difficult to take than I remember from my teen-age perusals of this author. In this one, our strong, silent first-person narrator is first officer of a cargo boat-cum-luxury liner which is hijacked by representatives of a small third-world government for the purpose of stealing $150 million in gold. A small nuclear weapon and a kidnapped ...more
Robert Brokenmouth
This, I think, is where the rot sets in for real. The character knows too much and doesn't share it. Instead, we get lots of pontification. It's a great plot, but I don't give a bugger about the characters, partly cos they talk too much bollocks. Compare this with his first three books and you can see he needs an editor - but he obviously wouldn't listen. Pity, it's one draft away from being 4 out of 5.
Scott Holstad
This was an odd book to read and is an odd book to review. On one hand, so much of it is unbelievable and downright stupid, I want to give it two stars. On the other hand, it's pretty action packed and is somewhat of a page turner. I couldn't put it down. So I'm not sure what to say.

An atom bomb is stolen from an American base. A British ship, however, is where the plot takes place. It's truly bizarre. It's a cargo ship, okay, but has also been converted into a luxury liner -- without the tradit
Peter
my first alisair maclean at sixteen...started me on a roll that saw me read all of his books over the next couple of years...biggles for teens
Feliks
Alistair MaClean is one of the more difficult thrillers to endorse. He was the junk-food of the classic-era thriller-writers. You know its bad but you still keep stuffing it into your craw. He's the writer that you're embarrassed to be caught reading.

People talk about where the 'rot' in his technique began to 'set in'. Here? I agree it has some pretty alarming flaws. But really, this is only his eighth book! I've read his earliest works and unfortunately I found them no better than anything else
Nicole Luiken
My umpteenth rereading of this taut though-somewhat-dated thriller set aboard a hijacked cruise ship and featuring the indomitable First Officer Carter. Alistair MacLean does not hesitate to have his characters get beat up.
Dhiraj Sharma
The best MacLean ever and my personal favourite. As with all MacLean Novels the plot is thrilling to the very end.
The hero is typical MacLean: tough, resourceful and gifted with a self-deprecating sense of humor.
Modern pirates day pirates running after gold bullion and a nuclear bomb take over a luxury liner and its upto the first mate (the protogonist) to outwit them in the dangerous game of cat and mouse.
The story grips you from the very first page and will keep you hooked till the the last
Beth
I LOVE this book -- hadn't read it in years. Supposedly it was coming out in a Nook format, so I eagerly plunked down my money and then ... it wasn't available. So I found it on ABEbooks.com, a great source of old books. It's a great thriller with a commonplace, so to speak, hero. Bruce Willis could have done a great job with this, in movie form, about 20 years ago.
Gateacre
MacLean is always at his best when at sea and this novel is no exception. His ex-naval background gives him real authority and authenticity, and it has to be said that First Officer Carter is definitely one of his more memorable characters. As usual it is tightly plotted and has the usual mix of eccentric good guys and bad guys. A fast paced, gripping read!
Olga V
Одна из самых любимых книжек, ладно уж, детства: открытое море, пираты, заложники, ядерная бомба, главный герой - умница и талантище, явно из тех, кто "в штабе писарем отсиделся", уж настолько эффективно действует. Раз в год или около того, когда настроение совсем ни к черту, перечитываю с огромнейшим удовольствием.
Roshni
This book was classic MacLean: espionage, adventure, and mystery. The added romance took away a bit from the plot, so this was not as enjoyable as some of MacLean`s other books. But, still a fantastic read with suspense that keeps you on the edge of your chair, unable to put the book down.
Veeral
A typical MacLean thriller which brings nothing new to the table. But I have read it couple of times nevertheless and I like the character of the wisecracking captain. That's why this book has a special place in my heart. Good memories of adolescent years.
Ricky Orr
I always enjoy books by Alistair MacLean, even though he tends to follow the same formula as he develops his stories - tough, resourceful protagonist takes on bad guys, and against overwhelming odds, prevails and wins the day.
Matt
Jan 23, 2009 Matt added it
I hadn't read any Alistair MacLean since I was kid, and although part of the plot and some of the writing appear a bit rusty by modern standards, he is still a terrific thriller writer.
Douglas
An entertaining read. People disappearing on a ship and some classic hijacking on the high seas coupled with detective work, and I must say - a very humorous style of writing.
Ricky
This and Night Without End are my two favourite Alistair MacLean books. This is set on an ocean liner and has romance weaved with a great plot and wonderful characters
Lila
I used to like McLean's books quite a lot in high school but this one was only so-so. Or maybe they are just dated or my tastes have matured.
Suby
Those sailors in the good old days really had a tough job. The job of the espionage people was tougher!
Peter
Sep 23, 2010 Peter rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Peter by: When I was in the military in 1979
Shelves: alistair-maclean
Mr Maclean's novels is explosive. Never fail to draw blood, bloody good.In my re-read list again.
Dave Wylie
Could not put this book down. It kept me wanting to read "just one more chapter" a great book.
Venice
The Alistair MacLean book that hooked me on to this brilliant action author's books!!!
Douglas Wilson
Excellent. Read one other time later, I believe.
arne
a secret cargo on the ship ok
Steve
Very intense and exciting to follow the story.
Mary
Nov 03, 2007 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes spy stories
One of my all-time favorites. I have it memorized but I still reread it! It's about hijackers on a passenger liner and people who try to stop them.
Partridge Public
MacLean, Alistair
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Shayne Christofferson
Shayne Christofferson marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Tom Buch
Tom Buch marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
  • The Snow Tiger
  • Alistair MacLean's Red Alert
  • Alistair Maclean's Hostage Tower
  • The Iron Tiger
  • Snow Falcon (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #1)
  • Double Image
  • Overload
Alistair Stuart MacLean (Scottish Gaelic: Alasdair MacGill-Eain), the son of a Scots Minister, was brought up in the Scottish Highlands. In 1941, at the age of eighteen, he joined the Royal Navy; two and a half years spent aboard a cruiser were to give him the background for 'HMS Ulysses', his first novel, the outstanding documentary novel on the war at sea. After the war he gained an English Hono ...more
More about Alistair MacLean...
Where Eagles Dare The Guns of Navarone Ice Station Zebra When Eight Bells Toll Force 10 from Navarone