Start by marking “The Prize” as Want to Read:
The Prize

The Prize

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  20,237 Ratings  ·  415 Reviews
In the resplendence of William the Conqueror's London court, the lovely Saxon captive, Nicholaa was forced to choose a husband from the assembled Norman nobles. She chose Royce, a baron warrior whose fierce demeanor could not conceal his chivalrous and tender heart. Resourceful, rebellious and utterly naive, Nicholaa vowed to bend Royce to her will, despite the whirlwind o ...more
Published July 5th 2011 by DUTTON ADULT (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Prize, please sign up.

Angel Salelesi When you done with the left section, go all the way back up and then read the right section.

Dina
Nov 27, 2011 Dina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"He never knew what hit him." The first line in this book was enough to hook me. How could I not love a heroine who was smart and resourceful enough to drop the hero to the ground in the middle of a battle?

Baron Royce is Norman and Lady Nicholaa is Saxon, and that makes them enemies in 1066. The Prize starts with Nicholaa trying to defend her home against Royce and his "barbaric" soldiers. She's successfully defeated the three previous knights sent by "the bastard" William of Normandy, soon to b
Duchess Nicole
This classic Julie Garwood medieval romance is set in the time of the Saxon and Norman skirmishes. One thing that slays me is the mindset of the invaders...they'd come to a castle keep, lay it under siege, kill as many men as possible, and basically just overtake the place...and then they would graciously allow the 'former' lord to remain alive if he would only swear fealty to their leader and become part of their army. WHAT THE....what? That's crazy to me...it's basically forcing them to live a ...more
Kristen
Once again, Julie Garwood delivers a heartwarming, humorous, and delightfully romantic tale.

What I liked most about this book was Royce's character (he's not one Garwood's prototypical hero) and the relationship between him and the heroine, Nicholla.

Royce is a hero to adore. He may not be extremely good-looking, with a badly scarred face, but he has the perfect combination of alpha and beta characteristics. He's powerful, driven, and a true leader; but he also possess a strong benevolent side t
Ingela
Written October 13, 2014

3.8 Stars - Safely, securely and precisely what expected. - Sweet charming, well written 'oldish' HR

A Ms Garwood historical read (or listening) can not be but heartwaring and enjoying. The Prize a historical from 1991, here narrated by a very professional Anne Flosnik in a 12 hrs audiobook, is no exception.

photo kissing_zpsbed499e9.gif Perhaps you don't hear or see me sing and dance with joy after this novel, but at least I warm up for some very happy cheer jump step.

A sweetie one!

*****************
Lisa Kay
[image error]

(This is a review of the audiobook.) Anne Flosnik reads this classic medieval Julie Garwood tale rather nicely. If she is somewhat “stilted” in areas, she makes up for it in others. By “stilted” I mean where the story is pure narrative she sounds stiff. I also wasn’t crazy over our Norman hero, Baron Royce’s voice; by trying to lower him to a baritone, he comes across sounding “stuffy” and that isn’t the way I heard him in my head (always a difficult – if not impossible – job!).

Cal
Maureen Feeney
MY FAVOURITE HISTORICAL!!!!! CHECKMATE
Nicolaa (a saxon)has defended her home against the normans and the king is not happy.
The king has ordered Baron Royce to bring the woman that had defended her home so well against his vassals. She was going to be The Prize for the lucky knight who won the battle for her. The King was allowing his knights to compete for her hand in marriage. But, Nicholaa saved the Queens niece. So the king changed his mind and allowed Nicholaa to choose from any of the singl
Eastofoz
May 19, 2010 Eastofoz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who liked Garwood's "The Bride"
Shelves: medieval, 2010
Before starting this book you may want to mentally prepare yourself for a kowtowing heroine because if that kind of trait bugs you (like it does me to no end) this book has the potential to get on your nerves –fast. There’s that and the fact that the hero is painfully overbearing and you think he’s going to get the oh so deserved whack upside the head eventually but he never does unfortunately which is a shame because it could have done him a world of good :)

Briefly, the story is about Nicolaa (
Julie
May 29, 2012 Julie rated it it was ok
I wasn't going to review this one because I don't usually write reviews when I read a well-known and traditionally published author. However, I felt it deserved a review to explain the low rating.

I hated the heroine, Nicholaa. There was no happy medium for this character. She was either acting like an insecure adolescent, seeking approval and attention, or she was raising hell. The only time I found the strong woman characterized at the beginning of the book believable was - yes, at the beginnin
Arlene
Mar 02, 2015 Arlene rated it really liked it
Romantic story that's filled with lots of tender moment. Royce and Nicholaa were a lovely couple. Entertaining, endearing and passionate.

In The Prize, Nicholaa’s home is invaded by the Normans and she’s captured as a prize to be delivered to King William. Royce is the king’s loyal subject that is tasked with bringing this headstrong Saxon to the king, which proves to be a series of small battles the entire journey. When Nicholaa gains favor with the king for a courageous act, he allows her to pi
KatieV
3 to 3.5 stars. I liked it, but nowhere near as much as her Highlander romances. I do think that the sense of any conflict or real excitement was lacking. It's sweet with very low angst if that's what you're in the mood for. Garwood can definitely be good for that. I like to read her when I'm in a negative mood, she can usually make me smile.
Paige  Bookdragon
This is my first Julie Garwood and if this is how she writes her stories, then I think I would be reading some of her books in the future.

The Prize is fluffy book, one that I didn't expect from a medieval novel. I've always thought that books that are set during the time of William the Conqueror is kinda boorish or stuffy. Which is wrong because if Julie Garwood'S novel is to be set as an example, then this era is more "loose" than the Victorian era.

Women here are "encouraged" to maim warriors,
Lelyana
Aug 31, 2012 Lelyana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites
Aku sukaaaaaaaaaaaaa buku ini..... relieved after baca buku gak jelas dengan hero gak jelas...kali ini sodara2...Hero nya beneran...heroine nya beneran adorable....

Once upon a time, waktu jaman tahun 1066 saat perang Saxon dan Norman, Lady Nicolaa ternyata jadi legenda dan kisah nya di ceritakan di seluruh penjuru Inggris...
Sehebat apa ya si Lady Nicolaa ini....Yuk kita simak cerita nya...

Lady Nicolaa kecil2 mematikan, dengan ketapel nya yang hebat dia berhasil melumpuhkan 3 orang komandan Nor
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
The best, delightful medieval romance. I really enjoyed it.
I love how the characters developed with so much love.
A must read if you want to get the best of Julie Garwood.
Meryl
May 18, 2013 Meryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Oh I want my own Royce!!!

This is the best Julie Garwood novel I've read so far. It was a sweet read. Nicholaa and Royce are so sweet and cute together, I was giddy most of the time reading it. However, it seems like the story finished too early that I thought there's a second book or something. I just wish there had been more.
Cheryl
One word to describe this book would be "Checkmate", for it captured me, heart and soul!

Julie Garwood gets another big 5 star rating from me for this book. There are just some authors out there who have a gift to be able to put their pen to paper and create such perfectly splendid heroes and heroines. I have never met a Garwood hero or heroine that I did not like and Royce and Nicholaa from The Prize are no exception!

This story has some factual parts to it as it takes place in England in the yea
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
I am so glad this book was recommended to me; I really loved it. I think the best word to describe this book is... charming.

It starts with the heroine Nicolaa defending her home against the Norman invaders, different knights are sent in, but by using her cunning and trusty slingshot, she manages to see them off; until Baron Royce arrives. The love story starts from there.

Both the main characters are incredibly lovable, and the dynamics of their relationship were funny and touching, whenever they
Jami
Jan 02, 2013 Jami rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well I'm 80 pages in and so far, I'm not impressed. At all. The heroine Nicholaa is just...annoying. The author says time and time again that she's just so sweet that she can't hold a grudge against anyone. Really? No one at all? Not the people who are invading your country, slaughtering your people, and hacking off your younger brother's right hand? You can't be mad at those people? Why not? Because you have no spine? Because you have no honor? Weakest. heroine. ever.

Garwood seems to think that
Zoe
Dec 20, 2015 Zoe rated it liked it
Oh how I loved Julie Garwood when I was 15.

But she had a few books which feature heroines that I have always wanted to strangle. Nicholaa is one of them.

First of all, why the double As in the name?? But I digress. I must admit that I was underwhelmed by this book. The story was ok but with Nicholaa as the heroine I was rolling my eyes all the time. A woman who wants her warrior husband to love her, playing childish games and the author makes these childish attempts into some kind of a great al
LaFleurBleue
Every one in a while I decide to give a new chance to Julie Garwood and I try to focus only on her bests. I'm nonetheless usually disappointed and this book will not help me change my mind.
It's quite typical Garwood: there's a young and childish bride who played a few tricks, some of them rather wise but many quite stupid. The hero is a big warrior much older and not too talkative. The plot was ok, though there was nothing enthralling in it. Honestly not much really happened and all was very pre
Leona
Mar 29, 2012 Leona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I must be in the minority after reading all the rave reviews. I would give this 2.5 stars. Though it was a quick read, it somehow lacked the depth relative to her other novels. It was a little too lighthearted and I found that both the H and h were not very exciting. Typical Garwood has always had a lot more tension, great character depth and riveting plotlines. I couldn't put this at the same level as Ransom, Bride and Honor's Splendour. If you are new to Garwood, I would recommend starting wit ...more
Krista Baetiong Tungol
I picked this book because I was of a mind to read ‘lighter’ stories after Helen Hollick’s sober Saxon series (The Forever Queen / I Am the Chosen King) and because Norman Conquest, which is the period depicted in this novel, is my current favorite historical theme. Also, I have never read a Julie Garwood novel before and it intrigued me to find out why many readers seem captivated by her romance stories.

The story follows Nicholaa, a young Saxon noblewoman, who is forced to marry one of William
Buqet
Dec 06, 2011 Buqet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tek bir şey diyeceğim : Julie Garwood'u ve onun romantik dünyalar yaratan ellerini seviyorum!!!
Sue
Story and narration 4.5.

A re-read for a challenge but this is one of my favorites by Julie Garwood.

She specialized with strong women who are not initially perceived as strong. Lots of humor, romance and a larger than life heroes. Though I always find that JG makes both members of the couple out to be heroes which I love.

Medieval times in old England after William the Conquer has claimed Britain. Our girl bravely fights off the Normans, but eventually falls to Royce's stronger army and tactics.
Susan
Oct 03, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this gem of a story! Loved the repartee between the couple which later hid their feelings towards one another. Their journey to finally admit how they felt was a wonderful one and was supported along the way by some interesting characters.

The time period was fun to read about and I appreciate the details the author incorporated into it.

All in all I am glad I finally picked up this book after reading and hearing so many rave reviews. This really did deserve them all!
Andrea
Jan 24, 2016 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nos remontamos al 1060 donde Sajones y Normandos disputaban el poder en Inglaterra.
En un principio el libro es un poco denso, cuesta enganchar con los personajes o hacer conexión con tanto nombre. Una vez que se establece quienes son los protagonistas y para dónde va la idea, ya entusiasma .
Siempre he dicho que los libros de Julie Garwood logran que tome cariño a la protagonista . Nicholaa no es la excepción.
Elaine Mcdonald
Aug 17, 2012 Elaine Mcdonald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julie-garwood
5+ My first book by Julie Garwood was a contemporary novel. I wasn't very impressed and probably wouldn't have read any others by her. Someone (Lisa Kay?)started a challenge with a Julie Garwood novel. Fortunately, the next book happened to be a historical novel. I've recently read several of her books, and I have to say they really are great. I love her sense of humor. I think this is one of her best!
Carolyn F.
Oct 12, 2011 Carolyn F. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original review 12/19/09 "Very funny, very sweet book. Cried. Laughed out loud. Would recommend this book to anyone."

Reread by audiobook. I also own the paperback. The audiobook is a little dated but the story itself overcomes that. Really enjoyed the re-read.
Sammy
3.5 scottish romance stars

As usual Julie Garwood s characters are my favorite...

Royce was strong , gentle , stubborn , protective , patient , honorable , warrior.

but Nichola was something different , she was strong enough to wage wars , yet naive & delicate to cry around.
She had temper yet she was also sweetest lady. She was witty , cunning yet innocent. Now do you see the contradictory qualities so beautifully merged. Only Miss Garwood can excel at that.

Talking about the story line, it has
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
Dec 04, 2015 Erika B. (SOS BOOKS) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spicy, adult-read
Hilarious! The ending was so abrupt though! Is there a sequel I don't know about?!
Carolyn
Apr 02, 2016 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading again! Third read. Just as awesome as the first time. Checkmate!
  • Born in Sin (Brotherhood of the Sword #3/MacAllister, #2)
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • Untamed (Medieval, #1)
  • Charming the Prince (Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Highland Velvet
  • This Is All I Ask (de Piaget, #6; de Piaget/MacLeod, #3)
  • Almost Heaven (Sequels, #3)
  • Dream of Me/Believe in Me (Viking & Saxon, #1 & #2)
  • Dreaming of You (The Gamblers, #2)
  • Prisoner of My Desire
  • Ravished
  • Lord of Desire (The Risande Family, #1)
  • The Wolf and the Dove
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa
More about Julie Garwood...

“A woman can't do anything about her appearance. Either she's pretty or she isn't. But her character is quite another matter.” 65 likes
“It's a sin to hate, and for that reason alone, we must not hate the Normans... We can, however, thoroughly dislike them, Alice.” 34 likes