Start by marking “The Highwayman” as Want to Read:
The Highwayman

The Highwayman

THE NOBLEWOMAN AND THE IRISH PATRIOT

It was a bold and perilous plan—disguising herself as a boy and stealing aboard a ship bound for the far-off shores of Ireland. But from the moment orphaned Lady Alexandra Cummings arrived at besieged Inverary Castle, her life and heart were no longer her own. Captured by rugged Irish rebel Kevin Burke, the daring English noblewoman beca
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published April 28th 1993 by Harper Monogram (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Highwayman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Highwayman

Brittain *Tara Belle Talking*
Alright, let's be honest here.

This is a cute and fluffy historical romance that gives us the ridiculous fairytale romance of our dreams wherein the English lady is romanced by the charming Irish rogue and they fall madly in love despite their differences in station and the war going on between their two countries.

It's Disney's Pocahontas. It's Romeo and Juliet. It's every story you've heard about star crossed lovers.

The language was stilted and awkward, trying too hard to be Shakespeare. Burke,
Pat aka Tygyr
Oct 08, 2014 Pat aka Tygyr rated it really liked it
Alexandra is a bright and impulsive young woman. Her uncle is her ward and he plans to put her in a convent while he goes to fight in Ireland for the Queen of England. Alex decides she won't go to the convent. She hides out on board the ship and when she is found it is too late to take her back. They are made welcome in Ireland by the Lord of the castle where they are staying. His late wife was about Alex's size and she wears her clothes. Alex cannot see the reasons for all the rules she is give ...more
Sandra Dagg
May 01, 2013 Sandra Dagg rated it really liked it
Just finished this, although it's the second time I've read it in the last year or so. I hadn't reviewed it, so wanted to be sure of my thoughts before posting. Have to say I enjoyed it as much the second time around, and would definitely read it again. I love historical romance, and I love happy endings, so for me it was perfect. The hero and heroine were very realistically portrayed, at least to me. The interaction with Queen Elizabeth I was very cool, made her seem like more than a history bo ...more
Jenn
Feb 08, 2013 Jenn rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
More gym reading. I got this one either cheap or free when I first got the Kindle. I'm trying to through some of those earlier ones and most of them are light for gym reading.

This one, unlike most of the free books I've gotten from Kindle, was pretty good. I enjoyed the story and liked both of the main characters well enough, though I never loved them. I enjoyed seeing the interactions with Elizabeth too. Most of the historical romance fiction I've read, you don't get real figures from history
Janet L. Hage
Apr 10, 2016 Janet L. Hage rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Irish rebellion, romance, Queen Elizabeth

Alex refused to be left in England in a monastery while her guardian uncle went to war in Ireland. Alexander is never known for doing what she is told to do. She meets up with Kevin Burke and maybe just maybe Queen Elizabeth can put the world back together again. Clever plot and will developed characterization, this is a must read for period romance fans. Adult readers due to sexual and violent content.
Anne
Sep 17, 2011 Anne rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Historical romance lovers
I read This author's book on WWII and gave it five stars. This was a alright read but did not hold my interest as the other book did. The heroine is escaping from her uncle who plans to place her in a convent while he goes off to fight. She is captured by an Irish rebel. This was a good read but not near so much as the first book of hers I read, "Clash by Night" which I absolutely loved.
LadyCalico
Jan 20, 2012 LadyCalico rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one very entertaining, well-written little swashbuckler with great characters and enough action to satisfy even me. No dull spots just a lot of adventure and romance from beginning to end. Plan on reading it in one night because it is hard to put down.
Kasey
Jul 29, 2012 Kasey rated it it was ok
Good historical romance novel. A quick read, but holds your attention realatively well. You end up rooting for the characters through every cliched, contrived twist. Not worth buying, but worth picking up from the library and reading on a rainy day. Ages 18+
Pat
Not sure how the title fit in with the plot line, although one character did mention that Kevin was nothing more than a highwayman. The story idea was very good although the plot and character development were not very strong
Andrea Oelhafen
Jan 04, 2012 Andrea Oelhafen rated it it was amazing
I loved this historical romance novel. It was the perfect read that you can get through fast but is a delight to read!
Wendy
Mar 26, 2012 Wendy rated it it was ok
Parts of this story were fairly good but the heroine is one of those TSTL characters that you really want to shake some sense into but instead end up throwing your kindle across the room.
Tanya
Jun 07, 2015 Tanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I loved this book it has great characters that stood for what they felt was just I would recommend this book
Marlo Pedersen
Jun 13, 2015 Marlo Pedersen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Highwayman by Doreen Owens Malek

Excellent ebook and I would recommend this book to one and all I give this ebook five stars 5 stars
Velvetink
Jun 10, 2015 Velvetink marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
kindle
Florence Pardi
Florence Pardi rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2013
Louraine Millington
Louraine Millington rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2015
Tabbetha
Tabbetha rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Melissa Cannito
Melissa Cannito rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Fay
Fay rated it did not like it
Sep 05, 2014
Sheryl Coffman
Sheryl Coffman rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2016
Kathy Neff
Kathy Neff rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2012
deepika reddy
deepika reddy rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2017
Susan Williams
Susan Williams rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Pat Lovuolo
Pat Lovuolo rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2012
Teresa
Teresa rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2012
sheila sliger
sheila sliger rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Lisa Opp
Lisa Opp rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Hafiza
Hafiza rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • To Love a Scoundrel (Law and Disorder, #4)
  • Windswept
  • Tides Of Love
  • Passage West
  • Simon's Lady
  • Ship of Dreams
  • California Caress
  • Touch The Sun (Beauvisage, #2)
  • The Pirate's Jewel (Pirate, #2)
  • Bride of a Stranger (Classic Gothics Collection, #2)
  • The Impostor Bride (Dangerous Masquerade Collection, #3)
  • Delilah's Flame
  • Into The Woods
  • Wild Hearts
  • Lady in Waiting (The Lady Series #1)
  • The Texan's Bride
  • Windswept
  • Irish Moon (Moon Magick, #1)
aka Faye Morgan

{From Amazon} "I am Doreen Owens Malek, author of over forty books and lifelong fan of romantic fiction. I live in PA with my husband and college student daughter, a mini dachshund and a sun conyer parrot. I would like to tell you a little about myself.

I came to writing by a circuitous route, starting out as an avid reader of JANE EYRE and WUTHERING HEIGHTS and GONE WITH THE WIND a
More about Doreen Owens Malek...