Start by marking “The Highwayman (Corona: Saga of the First King, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Highwayman (Corona: Saga of the First King, #1)

The Highwayman (Saga of the First King #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  3,134 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
Long ago, in a distant land, a lonely young man struggles to discover who he is and where he belongs. He carries the blood and magic of two people, a sword of unimaginable power, and the staggering potential for great good, or greater evil.
Mass Market Paperback, 405 pages
Published March 1st 2005 by CDS Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Highwayman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Highwayman

Monica
Mar 25, 2010 Monica rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
When Salvatore was pitching this book idea, I imagine his brainstorm chart began with the following question: what would happen if I took a dash of Robin Hood, a pinch of the Lone Ranger and more than a couple of helpings of Zorro, and threw it all in a blender with all the classic fantasy cliches?

To be fair, in the end, all of this wasn't really all that bad of a mix. Yeah, I'll admit that the whole premise behind the Bransen character might seem a bit overcooked and juvenile--even for a fantas
Jeff
Nov 14, 2010 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best fantasy books I've read in a while. I actually started reading this series with the second book, The Ancient, and was interested enough in the main character, Bransen Garibond, aka The Highwayman, that I went back and bought this book. This book is dedicated solely to describing Bransen, starting with his parents' meeting and marriage, through his becoming the dashing Robin Hood-like Highwayman. It establishes the character that is then featured in next three books, The Ancient, ...more
Kristin
Sep 25, 2009 Kristin rated it it was amazing
The story of The Highwayman was a brilliant read. It was hard to put the book down. Salvatore accomplished another wonderful story about the land of Corona.
It started out with Bran, an Abellican monk, going as a missionary to the land of Behr where he fell in-love with Sen Wi, a Jhesta Tu mystic. Bran being from Honce had light skin, while Sen Wi from Behr was dark. They realized how their religions worked together to be one amazing and true religion. Bran saw how wonderful the teachings of Jhes
Zayne
Aug 10, 2012 Zayne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves R.A. Salvatore's works or any epic fantasy
Shelves: favorites
Salvatore you did it again! An amazing story! It's like a mix between Robin Hood and Drizzt. I could not put this book down at all. It didn't bore me a single time, kept me wanting more and thankfully Salvatore turned this lone novel into an epic saga. If you've ever been bullied in any way, you can definitley relate to the main character, Bransen.
KostasAt
8/10

Salvatore has done, yet again, another entertaining story where this time he shows us the world of Corona in the very beginning, before even the first great King.

The story mainly focuses around a special hero where his own fate, and of his family, has struck hard on him but also has trapped him in a place where he can not escape; his own body. But this will not prevent him from finding his own way in the search of not only hope, friendship and love but also revenge, for himself and for the c
Newton Nitro
Apr 11, 2016 Newton Nitro rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
THE HIGHWAYMAN - R.A. Salvatore (First King #1) | Fantasia Medieval de um Super-Herói! | Tor Fantasy, 2007, 420pgs.

De volta a literatura de fantasia, e anos depois de ler a fantástica saga DEMON WARS do R.A. Salvatore, retorno ao mundo de Corona com a Saga of the First King, a trilogia de romances que contam a história do primeiro rei de Honce. E Salvatore é sempre diversão na certa!

SINOPSE
RA Salvatore leva seus leitores de volta a Corona, o mundo de sua criação, introduzindo um novo herói.

É ano
Benjie
Jun 13, 2011 Benjie rated it really liked it
Liked this book very much... need to read the next.

One complaint, and a small one, was that I spent the whole book going "okay, I know what's coming next, just get on with it", still very enjoyable but drove me nuts... I mean there's a difference between "foreshadowing" and "giving the game away early"... or better yet "making me thing one things going to happen and then having it happen in a way or context that is entirely unexpected"... none of that in this book.

That said, action, adventure, a
Chy
Nov 15, 2011 Chy rated it liked it
Reread because there's four in the series and I've never read the last two. Mike pointed this out the other day, and in my frustration on waiting for new books to come in, I picked these back up. Now, all my new books are in, but I gotta finish this series so I don't forget all the damn characters.

That says something, right there; that Mike warned too long a wait means forgetting who some of the people are and what they really did before.

This one's a twist on Robin Hood, in culmination. I enjoy
Brett
Jul 30, 2010 Brett rated it liked it
This was like a super hero origin tale set in a fantasy world of orcs and magic. The Highwayman is an intriguing character, a disabled man who becomes something almost superhuman when he comes in contact with a precious stone. I picked the book up because I already had nabbed The Ancient (the second in the saga) off the bargain shelf at Borders. So naturally I had to make sure I had the first one read.

Salvatore is a great world-builder. Here he excels in the creation of the three religions preva
Jules
Feb 11, 2012 Jules rated it it was amazing
R A Salvatore does it again in this first of a different series to Demon Wars or Drizzt.

Without giving away spoilers, this series is a departure from Salvatore's others but contains some exceptional writing and some very memorable characters - including our main hero, who is heroic for more than his fighting prowess or self-sacrifice but because of dealing with some 'disabilities'.

A different take on the fantasy genre, R A Salvatore takes us down a road travelled less often - and the journey is
Wickedshizuku
Feb 01, 2016 Wickedshizuku rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: High Fantasy fans, Urban Fantasy fans, Romance fans
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: other series by author
There's more to Corona?!
Mississippi Jack Review photo usopp.jpg

Why, why did I not know about this?! It's awesome, and if you've been putting it off you need to read it. There are so many life lessons, and morals that The Stork teaches.
Amanda
Nov 26, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing
The Highwayman is by far R.A. Salvatore's best work. Drizzt annoyed me to death as the worst Gary Stu I've seen in print. Bransen, however, is beautifully sympathetic in his heroism despite his weaknesses. He spends most of the book struggling with actual physical disabilities before he finds the means to overcome them (even then, the magic solution has limits). Very well worth the read. (Unfortunately, the "sequels" die; Bransen feels almost like an incidental character, and the quality of writ ...more
Gareth Otton
Sep 10, 2015 Gareth Otton rated it it was amazing
I'll admit to this book really surprising me.

I've read at least 25 of R A Salavatore's books, most of them Drizzt novels, and it's easy to think that I've read all that he has to write. His books are normally action first, story second affairs that are nice easy reads but little more. Don't get me wrong, I am a big believer in there being a book for every occasion so I do really like Mr Salvatores stories, I just find that sometimes they lack a little substance.

I was surprised with this book t
William
Feb 12, 2011 William rated it it was amazing
Although I loved the Legend of Drizzt series, this book is my favorite from Salvatore. I love the idea of young cripple pushing past his weaknesses to stand back up on his feet, find not only personal redemption, and help those less fortunate. I also like how he goes through and identity crisis, who wouldn't?, and then re-finds himself in the end to save the day. Warning! if you read this book throught the final book in the series it is very heart wrenching. LOVED it!!!
Tasula
Feb 27, 2013 Tasula rated it it was ok
This was a typical traditional fantasy- alternate history, with a new religion trying to supplant an old one, sending missionaries to the "beasts" to convert them. Unfortunately, one missionary gets converted instead and tries to go back and spread the good word among his former monks. You can guess how well that worked out. The rest sort of seems like a Robin Hood tale. Anyway, I was not impressed and won't be reading any more Salvatore.
Byron Smith
Dec 15, 2010 Byron Smith rated it liked it
Surprised that I enjoyed this Carona book so much. I mistakenly thought this was related to the Crimson Shadow series. Very unlike the forgotten realms books that we all know and love, but very Salvatoreish. Great character development is embedded in a rich plot. A low scale good vs evil book that makes the reader smile. No spoilers here, but a good book all the same. Yes, I plan the read the entire series now!
Kyleigh
Sep 28, 2011 Kyleigh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yet another disappointing book from Salvatore. I heard the main character described as a combination of Zoro and Robin Hood, unfortunately that's all he was. I enjoyed the initial section of the book, and the contrast between the paganish ways and the new church of Honce was interesting. Overall, not a very gripping story, and foregetable characters.
Matthew Carlton
I enjoyed this book; it was a nice and easy read. This is the first book in a four books series, I've read the second book in the series already and wanted to continue to explore. Onward to The Dame the third book in the series, I may look into reading the Demon War Saga later since they're based in the same world.
Wyatt
Apr 27, 2012 Wyatt rated it liked it
Recommended to Wyatt by: my cousin and my brothers
Cody
Apr 12, 2012 Cody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the dead tree version. The plot was kind of dumb and predictable, but the book was still entertaining thanks to Salvatore's expertise in writing pulp fantasy action. Still, it wasn't one of his better novels and I doubt I'll read the next in the series.
Gabe
Jan 30, 2009 Gabe rated it really liked it
this book begins at a slow pace but it gradually draws you in so that you cannot turn away. i would deffinently recommend this book to anyone that likes a good book
Paul Highum
Mar 25, 2011 Paul Highum rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Bransen Garibond is the best character, the best hero R.A. Salvatore has written, and he created Drizzt Do-Urden.
Olivia
Jul 12, 2014 Olivia rated it it was amazing
I was initially wary of starting this series set in R.A. Salvatore's own world of Corona. I absolutely love Salvatore's Drizzt books, but after just having finished - after many long years - his Demon Awakens novel (set in the universe of Corona) and being thoroughly disappointed, the idea of returning to that world wasn't very exciting. In addition, a number of reviews I had read mentioned that many of the characters were essentially copies of characters in the Drizzt series, and if that was th ...more
Beefgir
May 02, 2013 Beefgir rated it it was ok
this series has a fatal flaw, TO ME. and maybe just me.
my biggest gripe is that its story ark takes a very long time to develop, and does not peak very high.
the whole book feels like an introduction. half of the book is a set up for the main character to be born. then finally when he is, the rest of the book is him suffering trying to overcome his own problems. then when things FINALLY feel like "alright, now we are actually getting into the STORY and plot, and starting to go somewhere" sudden
Anthony Bourne
May 01, 2013 Anthony Bourne rated it liked it
I feel as though I am able to honestly review this book, as it is the first Salvatore novel I've read. I knew R.A. was considered a top shelf Fantasy writer and was praised for his character development and detailed battle scenes, nothing more.

The story takes place over a twenty year time span in the fantasy land of Honce, which resembles our on medieval times, with Lairds or Stewards ruling various holds in the land. In addition, two religions are also vying for religious authority over the pea
Andrew
Gabor Hernadi
Feb 26, 2014 Gabor Hernadi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book of Salvatore leads us to the times prior the Demon Wars. The main character is a poor disabled child turned to a masked hero, kinda crossover between Robin Hood and Zorro. Yes, it isn't one of Salvatore's best books and the characters tend to be a bit papier mache but the story itself is enjoyable and exciting. Strong part of the book is depicting the opposition of the churches, the old and the new faith. And yes, I'm convinced once again that the best author describing a battle scene ...more
Noah W
May 08, 2014 Noah W rated it liked it
When I first starting reading this book, it took me a bit of effort to keep going. Basically the first half is very slow because the stage is being set. If you already dislike Salvatore's style, you'll be in for a fun ride. All in all it was a good book, but if you're just picking it up because it looks cool it may not end well. I think you will really need to want to read it to enjoy it. I would recommend it to people I only know would enjoy it.
Jon
Jan 06, 2015 Jon rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Not a terrible read, but definitely not up to Salvatore's usual standards. Much of the story seemed to drag on and there were many events in the book that I disliked and couldn't find enjoyable. However, the novel does serve as a nice setup to it's sequel The Ancient, which I rated at five stars. It's definitely worth reading through for the rest of the series.
Jeffrey
Feb 19, 2016 Jeffrey rated it did not like it
This was a terible book. First the writing was weak and the action sequences were over wrought. Second the narrative jumped so quickly from story thread to seemingly unrelated story thread that I was completely lost. Could get past the first 50 or so pages. Yuck! Always wanted to give R.A. Salvatore a try, but won't be going back.
  • Insurrection (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #2)
  • Realms of Valor (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #1)
  • Condemnation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #3)
  • Annihilation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #5)
  • Resurrection (Forgotten Realms:  War of the Spider Queen, #6)
  • Extinction (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #4)
  • Dissolution (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #1)
  • The City of Splendors (Forgotten Realms: The Cities, #4)
  • Windwalker (Starlight & Shadows #3)
  • The Siege (Forgotten Realms: Return of the Archwizards, #2)
  • Blackstaff (Forgotten Realms: The Wizards, #1)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-seller list ...more
More about R.A. Salvatore...

Saga of the First King (4 books)
  • The Ancient (Corona: Saga of the First King, #2)
  • The Dame (Corona: Saga of the First King, #3)
  • The Bear (Corona: Saga of the First King, #4)