Start by marking “The Dragon Charmer (Fern Capel, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon Charmer (Fern Capel, #2)

The Dragon Charmer (Fern Capel #2)

In the enchanting novel Prospero's Children, Jan Siegel introduced an extraordinary heroine and the lushly evocative world of wonders and terrors that quickly enveloped her normal adolescent life. Now Siegel summons us back to the magic with the continuing story of Fern Capel--and the remarkable power of her extraordinary Gift . . .
After surviving an amazing, terrifying s
Published July 30th 2002 by Del Rey Books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon Charmer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon Charmer

Nancy
Jun 19, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it
Great second book of a wonderful fantasy trilogy by Jan Siegel. Characters from Prospero's children are grown now....Fernanda, Fern, is 28 and on the eve of getting married when the supernatural world she tried to shun intrudes very unkindly into her life again. Such great evil characters in this...the witches and their world are fantastic, and again a perfectly written tale that makes you see the things Fern sees so well.
Tim Martin
Nov 20, 2012 Tim Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed
I found this novel to be very fast reading, fun, moody, sometimes verging on horror (it was definitely dark fantasy), and an improvement over the first installment in this series. Some of the problems I had with the first volume in the series – a dull second act, or at least one in which nothing seemed to happen, and a lack of time spent on what exactly Fern’s witchcraft powers are and how she develops them – are much, much better handled this time around.

My only real complaint about the book i
Sierra
Sep 10, 2016 Sierra rated it really liked it
This book is very slow. It isn't boring or anticlimactic, but it takes so long to get to various plot points. After reading book one, I was wanting this book to start out at at least 30 mph instead of 0. I was ready for things to move along and Siegel kept the book almost as a whole to a just-faster-than-plodding pace. The plot of this book was less interesting than the first and it really just feels like a connector novel between books one and three. By that, I don't mean that it was just fille ...more
Angela
I happened across this book at a Rotary book sale fundraiser in Alexandra, NZ. The title first drew my attention, then I considered buying it just for the cover art (what can I say, I have a thing for dragons ;) ). Then I opened it and found out it's a signed copy! $2 win! So I bought the other two books in the trilogy and, lucky for me, they're really good. The author has a very descriptive style, which I enjoy but some readers might find a bit tedious. I particularly like the variety of mythol ...more
Erika
Oct 27, 2008 Erika rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009, fantasy, fiction
This was a frustrating one to rate. On the one hand, I found Siegel's dream-like Atlantean underworld utterly useless. I couldn't stand the characters, I couldn't make heads or tales of her descriptions, and nothing happened for at least 80-100 pages in part two. On the other hand, I enjoyed the secondary characters (Will and Gaynor) immensely. And I couldn't put it down during some of the real world scenes. Still, I found the overall plot boring and not being able to stand the main character me ...more
Anne Hamilton
Dec 02, 2012 Anne Hamilton rated it it was ok
Like the first book in this series Prospero's Children, I found this story very difficult to warm to. While the storyline is intrinsically interesting and the plots well-developed, there was something about the main character Fern that I found difficult to like. I just couldn't feel positive about her. Perhaps she was too much like various teenagers of my acquaintance back in the days when I was teaching high school. The sort of kids I was constrained as a professional to be polite to in real li ...more
Jaan  Sõmermaa
Jan 30, 2017 Jaan Sõmermaa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished this quite a while ago actually but forgot to post about it. Solid follow up. The begging is sort of weaker than the last book but it makes up for it for having a stronger second and third act. The pace is still slow and the book still has that weird quality about it but that seems to a staple of the series at this point.
Jul 27, 2011 Laura added it
It's funny, because I was slightly bored throughout this book, but it was very easy to fly through, which is backwards from usual for me. If that makes any sense. All in all, it was a good book, but I felt like I kept waiting for something to happen. I'm looking forward to the next book, which I have already started.
Adam Ross
Sep 29, 2014 Adam Ross rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The Dragon Charmer, follow-up to *Prospero's Children*, was just as fantastic as the first one. I really admire Siegel's prose, which is contemporary yet dense and gives off the feel of a style from the 1970s. Very atmospheric and a nice development of the plot from the first novel. I look forward to the third.
marcia rutledge
May 09, 2008 marcia rutledge rated it liked it
It's the #2 of three. Each one being an improvement over the previous. (The first reads almost as a teen book; almost didn't finish it.)

Nice treatment of "witchcraft" in the modern world. Fun stuff. Reflections on the state of our collective consciousness are good as well.
Bradley
Jan 27, 2012 Bradley rated it it was ok
Ugh, over descriptive boring. No, not a drafty house in the English countryside. Zzzz. The tales of Narnia are more exciting than this story. Don't recommend this one. It was coherent and no typos but zzz....
Connie53
Mar 18, 2014 Connie53 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-read
Goed tweede deel met sommige delen die erg spannend waren en sommige delen die wat langdradig waren. Het derde deel ligt dan ook al klaar in het zicht, maar ik ga er nog niet gelijk in beginnen. Een paar andere boeken hebben voorrang.
Nurhazlinda Mazlan
Mar 08, 2014 Nurhazlinda Mazlan rated it really liked it
a bit flat compared to the first. i still enjoy the first book. i think the ending of the first book doesnt require a sequel. it ended just nice
Christine
Not as good as the first, but I still enjoyed it.
Andrée
Like re-living my childhood - no not literally (sadly) - just that it was the kind of book I would've loved back then.
Still enjoyable but mainly for the nostalgia effect
Debby Kean
Aug 25, 2014 Debby Kean rated it it was amazing
This follow up to Prospero's Children is completely awesome! The characterisation of Fernanda and her growing to adulthood is well done, as is that of Will.
Milly Milagros
Jan 21, 2013 Milly Milagros rated it really liked it
As I read this novel, I could not help but feel that it felt like a rush to read. Overral, it is a fantastic book to read.
Michelle
Apr 01, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
2nd
Sarah Kay
May 21, 2013 Sarah Kay rated it really liked it
much loved.
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2009
Zinaida Aleksandroff
Zinaida Aleksandroff rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2017
Elizabeth Brenner
Elizabeth Brenner rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2013
Nan
Nan rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2008
Jen Stewart
Jen Stewart rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2009
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Jennifer Weston
Jennifer Weston rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2013
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2008
Kaylen
Kaylen rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Ashton
Ashton rated it did not like it
Apr 17, 2015
Amber Vilate
Amber Vilate rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2010
  • The Greenstone Grail (The Sangreal Trilogy, #1)
  • The Winter Oak (Summer Country, #2)
  • Redeeming the Lost (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #3)
  • Dragoncharm (The Ultimate Dragon Saga, #1)
  • The Crown of Silence (The Chronicles of Magravandias, #2)
  • A Warlock in Whitby (The Whitby Witches, #2)
  • Dragonseed (Dragon Age, #3)
  • Sea without a Shore (Moontide and Magic Rise, #2)
  • The Hollowing (Mythago Wood, #4)
  • Wizard of the Winds (Tales of the Timuras, #1)
  • The Iron Tower (Iron Tower, #1-3)
  • The Sphere of Secrets (The Oracle Prophecies, #2)
  • The Well of Tears (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #2)
  • Mage Heart (The Chronicles of Dion #1)
  • The Shadow at Evening (The Lamb Among the Stars, #1)
  • The Kingdom of Light (Dante Alighieri, #3)
  • The Cup of Morning Shadows (Twelve Treasures, #2)
Jan Siegel is a pseudonym of Amanda Hemingway. She is a British author of fantasy novels, best known for her Fern Capel and Sangreal trilogies.

More about Jan Siegel...

Fern Capel (3 books)
  • Prospero's Children
  • The Witch Queen (Fern Capel, #3)

“Everyone has to act out of character sometimes. It's like taking your clothes off: you feel free without your character but very naked, unprotected. Unfinished. So you get dressed again- you put on yourself-and then you know who you are.” 11 likes
“Advice is a dangerous thing," the Watcher responded. "It should be given only rarely and cautiously, and taken in small doses with skepticism.” 6 likes