Start by marking “Brother Cadfael's Penance (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #20)” as Want to Read:
Brother Cadfael's Penance (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #20)

Brother Cadfael's Penance (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #20)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  3,212 Ratings  ·  159 Reviews
The cloistered walls of the Shrewsbury Abbey have protected Brother Cadfael from the raging Civil War. But when Cadfael's own son--born from a brief encounter 30 years earlier--is taken prisoner, the good monk decides to leave the monastery to find his son. Twentieth in a phenomenally bestselling series by an award-winning author.
Published 1994 by Mysterious Press

To ask other readers questions about Brother Cadfael's Penance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brother Cadfael's Penance

Tiffany Wacaser
Aug 28, 2009 Tiffany Wacaser rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who would have thought that a mystery book would make me cry? But cry I did. The book was simply a lovely end to a delightful mystery series. Brother Cadfael, the main character and a Benedictine Monk has to make a hard decision when he discovers his son has been captured by an enemy. If he strays too far from the dictates his leader has given, he could be in danger of losing his chosen vocation as a Benedictine monk. He loves his service as a monk, but his call to see after his son is equally p ...more
Nancy
Jul 20, 2012 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, outstanding conclusion to one of my favorite series of all time. The previous book, Holy Thief, is an effective conclusion to Cadfael's story in Shrewsbury. This book is the conclusion of Cadfael's personal story. It's set outside of Shrewsbury as Cadfael travels, without leave or sanction, to find Olivier. Cadfael has often played a bit fast and loose with the rules but he has never broken his vows to the Order. He does so now because he believes that Olivier takes precedence. It's n ...more
Deborah Pickstone
The final volume of the adventures of Brother Cadfael. This novel examines the nature of the relationship between parents and children and the issue of where duty lies if two opposing duties collide and diverge. So, the nature of personal morality lies at the bedrock.

The reason I think these little books are so popular - and are far better than all the imitators since - is that Pargeter unashamedly grapples with morality. I have read several other long series' of Medieval whodunnit type novels a
Lisa
Nov 05, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last in the series of 20, all good, most very good, and this comes to a truly satisfying ending. Peters has created a masterpiece in this series--characters are complex and one is eager to see them again after they are introduced; plots (although I read the books practically back-to-back) are not repetitive; the history is accurate and interestingly presented; Brother Cadfael is someone you wish were a personal friend. And religion is presented well, woven into life, with some theologizing h ...more
Ron
Sep 04, 2008 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't read this book unless you have read all the other Cadfael stories you plan to read. For starters, you won't appreciate it, but mostly because events take place here which will spoil the rest of the series.

That said, this my be the best book of the lot.

Cadfael series: excellent historical fiction. Ellis Peters draws the reader into the twelfth century with modern story telling but holds us there with a richness of detail which evokes a time and place which might as well be mythic. Though th
Michael Carlson
Feb 12, 2013 Michael Carlson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad to say but this is the final book in the Cadfael series by Ellis Peters. I've enjoyed every single one of them. My worry in this one was whether the series would end with the now-65-year-old Cadfael dying! The plot suggested it could well have been a possibility! Cadfael offers himself as ransom to release his son (whom he had only recent discovered having in his days before the cloister!).
Without giving any more away, this novel is wonderful, a fitting conclusion to a great series.
Michael Jones
It is awkward to say that I started with book number 20 in this series...

Having admitted that, it is exceptional! She has a great economy of words and grasp of proper protocol and customs which bring the characters out in full bloom!

And this is the real beauty of this: she is totally unaffected by the modern tendency to pooh-pooh the church when you speak of the Middle Ages. She puts the church in a very winsome perspective. The worldview in these books is one in which I can sink my teeth into l
Lance
Jun 04, 2017 Lance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lance by: Baby Adam
"He had never before been quite so acutely aware for the particular quality and function of November, its ripeness and hushed sadness."

I know, why does the Cadfael series have to end, with so many medieval mysteries that could yet be solved?

"He painted a battle that could neither be won by either party nor lost by either"

No series can go on forever, but it's hard to say goodbye to old friends made through the course of 21 books, 21 mysteries solved together.

"There was no other way but straight f
Nathan Albright
Nov 07, 2016 Nathan Albright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“It is enough,” said Abbot Radulfus. “Get up now, and come with your brothers into the choir.” So ends the last novel of the Brother Cadfael series [1], a novel written while its author had a year or less of life left to her in the mid 1990’s. It is a fitting and proper end to an excellent series of mysteries, even though this novel is certainly among the most unusual of those mysteries, and among the most moving and dark, which is saying a lot. In this novel, Brother Cadfael leaves the safety o ...more
Wayne Farmer
The final novel in the Cadfael series (though not the final story as there are several short stories to come).
Again the Murder mystery is really just a bookend and gets forgotten about for much of the story, but there is good reason for this. The novel ties up the background story of Cadfael and his son, with Brother Cadfael leaving the monastery at Shrewbury, perhaps for good, in order to find his son and rescue him. This was the story I had been waiting for as it is Cadfael's most personal yet
Robin
Mar 22, 2017 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, the more so because of the poignancy of it being the final instalment in Cadfael's story. The narrative style took a little while to get into, but has a gentle lyric that really captures the mood of the unfolding story. In brief, Cadfael hears that he son has disappeared at the end of a battle and sets out to attend a peace conference where survivors of the battle might be able to help.
The conference ends in murder, which leads to our sleuthing monk becoming trapped
Kathryn
Aug 09, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This is the last mystery novel of Brother Cadfael’s adventures (there is a book of three short stories, or novellas, which I shall read next), and I am sorry to bid Brother Cadfael adieu; but this particular mystery is a very good one, and deals with a crisis of competing values for our good Benedictine. I very much enjoyed this book, and hope to read it again (with the other nineteen books in the series) in another ten years or so.

It is the spring of 1145, and the maneuvering between the forces
Jack
Jun 11, 2008 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have just finished reading "Brother Cadfael's Penance", the 20th Chronicle of the Welsh monk from Shrewsbury. Sadly there shall be no 21st Chronicle.

There was a special note at the beginning of "Penance" that explained that as the book was going to press the author, Edith Pargeter (Ellis Peters), had passed away.

I had come late to these Medieval mysteries. Though the first book had been published in 1977, I hadn't discovered Cadfael until the early 1990s. I would pick up a copy here and one t
D.w.
Jan 21, 2009 D.w. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I have reviewed many of these in this series in the last few days as I try to finish the series before the end of 2008. Well one to go, but after this, the penultimate, can it get better? If you can get past that there is little need for a mystery, for the body is truly a device to continue the action of what is a first rate historical.

We have spent twenty tales with Cadfael and Hugh and the others of the times. We have Bishop de Clinton, and Earl Beaumont, and even King Stephen. Now we meet Emp
Sue
Sep 12, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, england, medieval
In the on-going feud between King Stephen and Empress Maud, the castle at Faringdon changed hands to Stephen's forces. Most of the men taken captive were offered for ransom, but there were a few whose whereabouts were unknown. Among them, Olivier de Bretagne, Cadfael's son. Hugh brings him the news. A joint council is to be convened in a neutral site for the purpose of seeking a peaceful resolution to the on-going conflicts. Cadfael requests, and is granted, permission to leave the Abbey in ord ...more
Andrew Doohan
The last volume of The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael doesn't disappoint the true fan of Cadfael and his adventures in the time of upheaval in which the series is set.

This volume again, like a few of the latter volumes, focusses less on the discovery and uncovering of murder most foul, and more on the story of Brother Cadfael himself. Bringing to a close some of the overarching storylines, this volume is a fitting conclusion to the series.

I have enjoyed my journey through The Chronicles - more th
Karen
Oct 08, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"His arms he spread wide, clasping the uneven edges of the patterned paving as drowning men hold fast to drifting weed. He prayed without coherent words, for all those caught between right and expedient, between duty and conscience, between the affections of earth and the abnegations of heaven... for all those labouring for peace through repeated waves of disillusion and despair, for the young who had no clear guidance where to go, and the old, who had tried and discarded everything...

Even pena
Althea Ann
Feb 08, 2011 Althea Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the last in the 20-volume Brother Cadfael series, and the second in the series that I've read. (I previously read #11).
I'd sort of expect any writer to be getting a bit weary of a scenario or character after 20 installments, however nothing of the kind came through for me. I thought this was a quite well-written book, not too bogged down by tropes of the mystery genre, with a nice mix of politicking and family drama. I found it to be more convincing and believable than many medieval myst
Chris Fitzgerald
Sep 16, 2013 Chris Fitzgerald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
As usual with Peters, it's more about the characters and the way they interact than it is about plot. While this tale is full of both, the best thing about it is that it's not painted in black and white; characters that initially appear to be unlikeable turn out to be more likeable once you understand them better (and vice versa). While the battle scenes and inherent action they bring weakens the sauce a little, it's still a fitting end to a brilliant series, and fans of the previous books won't ...more
Kathleen
Jan 18, 2016 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book #20 is one of the best Brother Cadfael books that were written. "Word has come to Shrewsbury of a treacherous act that has left thirty of Maud’s knights imprisoned. All have been ransomed except Cadfael’s secret son"

The history of this event is fairly well known and accurate, although of course Cadfael did not actually play a part in it. Very nicely done with just the right tone and character development.

Recommend strongly..
Vicki Cline
Jan 13, 2010 Vicki Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the last Brother Cadfael book, and he does something unthinkable - leave the abbey in order to find his son. Olivier has been fighting for Empress Maud in the struggle between her and King Stephen and has been captured but no one knows where he is. Cadfael wants to get him ransomed - there are people who would pay the ransom, but need to know who has him. Lots of intrigue in this one, with good and evil people on each side of the fight.
Paula S
In this book Cadfael goes away from the convent without the abbot's permission to save someone important to him. There is less focus on mystery and more on the war, with Cadfael caught up in a siege, and the bond between parent and child. I enjoyed it, but was at the same time slightly depressed to find how old and tired Cadfael had become. I believe this is the last book in the series and it feels like it's time to let him rest in peace.
Debby Kean
This book is utterly perfect! The characterisation is well drawn and the multitude of historical people handled well. It is a painless way to learn history and the culture of a time that is actually very different from our own.
Jane Jago
May 06, 2016 Jane Jago rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can you do six stars?

Although an avid fan of Cadfael, I missed this one until now. It's been worth the wait. Cadfael and his son in a story whose deep emotion is handled in Ellis Peters' usual pared-down style.

If you didn't guess. I loved it.
Ellie Philpott
Oct 20, 2016 Ellie Philpott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a little too much political intrigue and battle scenes for me. I prefer the more 'whodunnit' Cadfael books, but as ever, beautifully written and delightfully serene
Katya
Sep 27, 2016 Katya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love the whole Olivier storyline that runs through multiple books, so I'm going to have to read the ebook of this one for all the things left out of the abridged audiobook.
Marie
Oct 31, 2016 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Cadfael series of books are the best ever. Started from the first and could not stop reading them.
Kathleen
Jun 16, 2017 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brother-cadfael
I took my time reading this one since it was the last one Ellis Peters wrote with Brother Cadfael and it was a little sad. I know that I can and will re-read the books, but the last one is done and over. I loved the internal turmoil Cadfael demonstrated and the internal conflict to 2 significant parts of his life. I enjoyed this aspect. The plot moved faster than some of her other books but lacked the big final twist in the story line that we're used to.
Michael Hołda (Holda)
This chapter if for Cadfael its journey to find his son that he has. From times before his Benedictine monk’s life when he has been in Jerusalem. On the way, he find out about murder and proves innocence of his friend just with the same man who has kept his son captive. Along with preparation on castle walls for medieval siege.
Chris
Jun 15, 2017 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'll have to reread this again when I've actually read all the ones that came before it. Another of the series that leans more toward historical than mystery (though there is still a mystery, or more than one, depending on how generous we're being with the definition).
  • The Cross-Legged Knight (Owen Archer, #8)
  • The Servant's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #2)
  • Historical Whodunits
  • The Devil's Door (Catherine LeVendeur, #2)
  • The Leper's Bell (Sister Fidelma, #14)
  • The Crown in Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #2)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
A pseudonym used by Edith Pargeter.

Edith Mary Pargeter, OBE, BEM was a prolific author of works in many categories, especially history and historical fiction, and was also honoured for her translations of Czech classics; she is probably best known for her murder mysteries, both historical and modern. Born in the village of Horsehay (Shropshire, England), she had Welsh ancestry, and many of her sho
More about Ellis Peters...

Chronicles of Brother Cadfael (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • A Rare Benedictine (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, prequel stories 0.1-0.3)
  • A Morbid Taste for Bones (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #1)
  • One Corpse Too Many (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #2)
  • Monk's Hood (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #3)
  • St. Peter's Fair (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #4)
  • The Leper of Saint Giles (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #5)
  • The Virgin in the Ice (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #6)
  • The Sanctuary Sparrow (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #7)
  • The Devil's Novice (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #8)
  • Dead Man's Ransom (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #9)

“The voices of cold reason were talking, as usual, to deaf ears.” 19 likes
“In the end there is nothing to be done but to state clearly what has been done, without shame or regret, and say: Here I am, and this is what I am. Now deal with me as you see fit. That is your right. Mine is to stand by the act, and pay the price.

You do what you must do, and pay for it. So in the end all things are simple.”
15 likes