Start by marking “Playgrounds of the Mind” as Want to Read:
Playgrounds of the Mind

Playgrounds of the Mind

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  567 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The sequel to N-Space

Playgrounds of the Mind captures the startling range and variety of Larry Niven's spectacular career, from bestselling novels such as Lucifer's Hammer and The Ringworld Engineers, from his classic short stories of science fiction and fantasy, from his thought-provoking essays and non-fiction, from his innovative and seldom-seen work in comics (on such
Published July 15th 1992 by Tor Science Fiction (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Playgrounds of the Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playgrounds of the Mind

Daniel
As usual, science fiction stories are the easily digestible and thought provoking fare, though I have to say I much prefer Asimov's and Clarke's short stories overall. This volume is definitely meant for those who are more familiar with Niven's writing and career. It's harder to appreciate for a newcomer like myself; too many anecdotes and references. I haven't even read Ringworld, but after this, I'm definitely looking out for a copy. The known space universe isn't much to my taste though, I ha ...more
Peter
Dec 11, 2008 Peter rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Hardcore Niven fans
Shelves: science-fiction
WARNING: Playgrounds of the Mind contains about 99% recycled material.

Sometimes, when a writer gets older, they start recycling their work. Heck, some of them even do it when they're young. They put out book after book of short story collections in which a large numbers of the stories are duplicates from previous editions, and only a few of the stories are new.

It's sleazy, of course; basically an obnoxious way to rip off the reader. Unfortunately, in his declining years Larry Niven started doing
Christopher
This is Larry Niven’s second volume of various essays, short-stories, and various anecdotes from his 40 years in science-fiction circles. The first was N-SPACE.

Some of the material in Playgrounds of the Mind is very interesting, such as his essay "Bigger than Worlds", in which he sketches out a number of interesting ideas for large-scale habitats, including his now famous Ringworld. His recipe for Irish coffee is sure to delight fans of the drink.

Nonetheless, the bulk of the selections in Playgr
Erika RS
A book of short stories, excerpts, with a handful of random stuff thrown in just for fun. Much of the material was excellent, but like many collections, some of it was "meh". A number of the random items and some of the commentary read like special messages for people in the know -- all well and good, but confusing to outsiders. Overall, it was a lot of fun.
Andreas
If you’ve never read Larry Niven, these two collections are a great place to start. They are both a mix of essays, short fiction, and excerpts from novels. If you’ve already read practically all of Niven’s work, there is not a lot of new material, but the convention essays still make the books worth the read.

Foxtower
I would have been happy with a collection of short stories, instead it turned out to be excerpts from his novels, way too much commectary about the stories he didn't write (who wants to hear about bad story ideas!), and just a few short stories (mostly about magic instaed of sci-fi. Dissapointment!
Crmjolnir
I gave this 5 stars because while it's not a complete story arc, it is a great sampler for intro into Larry Niven, and it really turned me on to his stuff.
Kathryn
Just as good as "N Space". I love Niven's books, but I think he shines best in the short-story format.
Kenneth Flusche
Good short story book, If you read a lot of Niven you will recognize parts of many of his stories
Stephanie Krone
Stephanie Krone marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Kris Hochstrasser
Kris Hochstrasser marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
James Tallett
James Tallett marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Erik Owens
Erik Owens marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Cash'Lion Elud'Ox
Cash'Lion Elud'Ox marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
  • Children of the Thunder
  • Flanders
  • Storming Intrepid
  • Rummies
  • Young Bleys (Childe Cycle, #10)
  • None So Blind: A Short Story Collection
  • Labyrinth of Night (Near Space, #4)
  • Summertide (Heritage Universe, #1)
  • Brother Assassin (Berserker, #2)
  • Infinite Dreams
  • The Stars are Also Fire (Harvest of Stars, #2)
  • Deceiver (Foreigner, #11)
  • Death's Head Rebellion (War World, #2)
  • Blue Champagne
  • Ole Doc Methuselah: The Intergalactic Adventures of the Soldier of Light
  • Homegoing
Laurence van Cott Niven's best known work is Ringworld (Ringworld, #1) (1970), which received the Hugo, Locus, Ditmar, and Nebula awards. His work is primarily hard science fiction, using big science concepts and theoretical physics. The creation of thoroughly worked-out alien species, which are very different from humans both physically and mentally, is recognized as one of Niven's main strengths ...more
More about Larry Niven...
Ringworld (Ringworld, #1) The Mote in God's Eye (Moties, #1) Lucifer's Hammer The Ringworld Engineers (Ringworld, #2) Footfall