Sea Music

Sea Music

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  30 reviews
"A haunting story of family ties and wartime secrets"The house opposite the church, overlooking the Cornish coast, is home to three generations of Tremains. Fred Tremain, the country doctor who built the house for his wife, Martha (and for whose sake he became estranged from his family); Anna, the difficult, determined older child, now a highly successful lawyer; Barnaby,...more
Published May 17th 2005 by Atria Books (first published April 22nd 2003)

Michelle Dickerson
I found this book very difficult to "get into"...until about halfway through. Several times I almost gave up. But, I'm glad I perservered and finished it. The story was amazing, but the way it was told made it unnecessarily complicated for me...trying to figure out what stories went with what characters. Initially all was identified only by varying typefaces, and it was a well into the book before the reader could figure out what typeface belonged to what character and even the names of the char...more
Juliajuliah

“You can’t judge a book by its cover.” How many times do we hear this proverb? And yet so often we do judge books by their covers. We pick up books that look similar to those we have liked. We rule out books that look similar to those we haven’t liked.We believe the work of the marketing teams who pitch their books at us.

A novel that proves the underlying truth of the proverb is “Sea Music” by Sara MacDonald. It looks like a cheap holiday read.

I think the marketing team got it wrong in this cas...more
Trina Hollis
History. Romance and mystery all rolled into one book and a happy ending as well, brilliant.
Mandy Szuchnik-townrow
Have you ever looked at the cover of a book and thought "No it's not for me" that's what I did when a friend gave me this book to read however after reading the blurb I'm so glad I decided to give it a go.
It's been a while since I've picked up a book and not wanted to put it down and work, eat or sleep! This story spans over the life of 3 generations of 3 women, Martha the jewish grandmother with dementia, Anna her cold and somewhat bitter daughter and Lucy, Martha's granddaughter and the apple...more
Deann Doolittle
I really liked this book. I started reading it and couldn't put it down. Has a little bit of everything. Sadness, regret, forgiveness, perseverance, but most importantly love. Every time I read a book about the holocaust, it just makes me mad and sad that people had to go through what they did. No one should have to endure that. I highly recommend this book as a good read.
Ellen
This is a beautiful yet sad and touching story about the generational effects of WWII Jews and what they endured at the hands of the nazis. But it's not all gruesome. It is beautifully written and the characters come alive as if you know them--if you could live in a small village and take life slower than most people.

Again, the title means nothing to the story. Yes, it takes place near the water, but that's about it. I mean, there's no music associated with the sea or living near it. There are i...more
Pbwritr
Okay, not great. Too much telling and not showing. Too much inclusion of Holocaust information as if it were unknown and the reader should gasp and be surprised. So, perhaps trite is the word. Family drama about an older set of parents in failing health, their memories, and their--gasp--horrible secret--that the mother had been in Auschwitz and the daughter conceived in rape by a childhood friend. The mother had been cosseted all her years by husband (who knew) and children (who didn't). Set in...more
Tina Goldberg
A very good book. Predictable at times, but the character development is very very good. Have that box of Kleenix handy for this one.
Kani
quite an all encompassing story from holocaust experiences in poland to altzheimer's disease in cornwall, from abandoned children to sibling miscommunication and regret. actually it was a good story raising some interesting questions but it was also a long book and i found myself saying to them more than once: just tell the secret! they were too polite, or so frustratingtly isolated in their response to the family "history" that i was frustrated. but maybe that's the point. well written and a de...more
Linda
Good story, about 2 people (and, later, their families--husband, kids, etc.), who were involved in the Holocaust. They were neighbors, and their families (parents, siblings) were friends. But she was Jewish and Polish, and he was German. Years later, their paths cross again. The story is told as flashbacks to that earlier time, contrasted with the present, where she is losing her memory to Alzheimer's. The long-repressed memories keep bubbling up.
Judee
This is a beautifully written novel that contains some horrific elements in dealing with the Holocaust era. I had never read anything as detailed about the horrors suffered by the millions of Jews during WWII. Other than that, the story centers around a family living with aging parents and secrets long buried. The essential question is whether or not those secrets are best left buried or should they be brought out into the open?
Sally Andrews
This was an AMAZING book. I thought it started slowly, but the author was really just doing a masterful job of introducing and building the characters. The story was one of modern times, with flashbacks to WWII, and the sad plight of the Jews. As one former Nazi comes to realize the horror of what he did, the story spins into one of many twists. It's all explained as we go along, and done beautifully. Extremely good read.
Debbie
Jun 27, 2008 Debbie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lexi,Elise,Barb,Leslie,Jenny
This is the first book published in the US by this English author. I hope it's not her last. This is a beautifully written story of love and redemption. I was truly touched by the great love between the main characters, Fred and Martha, and the secret that bound them together but nearly destroyed their family.
Alysha
I am not a Romance book gal, but this is more of Families Love and Forgiveness story. I Have never cried so much. I became emotionally attached to these characters. The Strength that Martha has to Forgive is truly amazing and Gives you strength to do the same.

I will read this book again....
Julschaen
Meine Meinung:

Ein schönes Buch, leider anfangs doch etwas zähflüssig. Man möchte endlich hinter die Geheimnisse kommen, aber es tut sich einfach nichts.
Der Roman hätte auf knapp 300 Seiten gekürzt werden können.

Trotzdem eine Leseempfehlung!
Tracey
Abiding love and a families forgiveness. The characters are well developed and take wings to soar through this incredible journey. I really enjoyed the authors style, made the book difficult to put down from start to finish!
Sharron Shimbel
Don't be fooled by the cutsey cover, this book is a wonderful read. The characters are well developed and in fact this slows the start of the story but it is well worth perservering if you like historical, romantic fiction.
Kim
Kinda of a slow intense book about a family discovering a family secret of a young Jewish girl and a young German boy during the war.
Deb
Maybe five stars is a bit high, but I expected a "Shell Seekers" type story and was pleasantly surprised by the caliber of this book.
Martha
I ended up really enjoying this. The start was a little slow, but I ended up caring about the characters and what happened.
Michal
I had to skim some sections when it got pretty intense...a little much for a postpartum mamma, but still good!
Mardi Niles
This is my favorite book of all times. Cried for three straight days after I read this book.
Pat
I found the story and characters very interesting. A quick read and well worth your time.
Cathleen
A book that continues to stay in my thoughts a few years after I read it. Incredible
Dora
Very good story, but be aware that there are details of the Holocaust.
Meikoningin
Read it in German, especially the style of writing was not for me.
D. Dalton
great story,.. I like WWII era fiction and really liked this one.
Diane Croad
Absolutely loved this book, as did the rest of our Book Club.
Phyllis
WWII type story similiar in style to Rosamunde Pilcher.
Jody
I enjoyed this book immensely. Definitely a "good read."
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Come Away With Me The Hour Before Dawn Another Life Listening to voices Sleep of Birds