Start by marking “Sea Music” as Want to Read:
Sea Music

Sea Music

" A haunting story of family ties and wartime secrets The house opposite the church, overlooking the Cornish coast, is home to three generations of Tremains. Fred Tremain, the country doctor who built the house for his wife, Martha (and for whose sake he became estranged from his family); Anna, the difficult, determined older child, now a highly successful lawyer; Barnaby, ...more
Paperback
Published April 22nd 2003 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Sea Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Music

Paula White
Jul 14, 2014 Paula White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Neither the title nor the cover do this book justice. It should be re-published with both changed. I was drawn into their stories until I forgot everything around me. At times I would take a break because the nature of the Holocaust part of the story was so difficult to sit with. The writing is different but becomes a rhythm once you keep reading. It will bring you to tears and make you appreciate every ordinary day.
Juliajuliah
May 30, 2011 Juliajuliah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

“You can’t judge a book by its cover.” How many times do we hear this proverb? And yet so often we do judge books by their covers. We pick up books that look similar to those we have liked. We rule out books that look similar to those we haven’t liked.We believe the work of the marketing teams who pitch their books at us.

A novel that proves the underlying truth of the proverb is “Sea Music” by Sara MacDonald. It looks like a cheap holiday read.

I think the marketing team got it wrong in this cas
Michelle Dickerson
I found this book very difficult to "get into"...until about halfway through. Several times I almost gave up. But, I'm glad I perservered and finished it. The story was amazing, but the way it was told made it unnecessarily complicated for me...trying to figure out what stories went with what characters. Initially all was identified only by varying typefaces, and it was a well into the book before the reader could figure out what typeface belonged to what character and even the names of the char ...more
Trina Hollis
Nov 13, 2013 Trina Hollis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
History. Romance and mystery all rolled into one book and a happy ending as well, brilliant.
Patricia
Jan 08, 2013 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meine Meinung

Wir befinden uns in Cornwall, in einem kleinen idyllischen Ort und in einem Haus nah an der Küste. In diesem Haus begegnen wir Martha und Fred, die beide am Ende ihres Lebens stehen und von ihrem Sohn Barney und seiner Nichte gepflegt werden. Martha leider unter Alzheimer und kann sich immer schwerer daran erinnern, wer die Menschen sind, die sie umgeben. Fred seinerseits ist wie immer besorgt um Martha und selbst doch auch schwer krank. Eines Tages findet Lucy Papiere auf dem Dachb
Ellen
Oct 17, 2012 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful yet sad and touching story about the generational effects of WWII Jews and what they endured at the hands of the nazis. But it's not all gruesome. It is beautifully written and the characters come alive as if you know them--if you could live in a small village and take life slower than most people.

Again, the title means nothing to the story. Yes, it takes place near the water, but that's about it. I mean, there's no music associated with the sea or living near it. There are i
Pbwritr
May 07, 2009 Pbwritr rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dramatic-fiction
Okay, not great. Too much telling and not showing. Too much inclusion of Holocaust information as if it were unknown and the reader should gasp and be surprised. So, perhaps trite is the word. Family drama about an older set of parents in failing health, their memories, and their--gasp--horrible secret--that the mother had been in Auschwitz and the daughter conceived in rape by a childhood friend. The mother had been cosseted all her years by husband (who knew) and children (who didn't). Set in ...more
Kani
Jun 01, 2008 Kani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
quite an all encompassing story from holocaust experiences in poland to altzheimer's disease in cornwall, from abandoned children to sibling miscommunication and regret. actually it was a good story raising some interesting questions but it was also a long book and i found myself saying to them more than once: just tell the secret! they were too polite, or so frustratingtly isolated in their response to the family "history" that i was frustrated. but maybe that's the point. well written and a de ...more
Mandy Szuchnik-townrow
Have you ever looked at the cover of a book and thought "No it's not for me" that's what I did when a friend gave me this book to read however after reading the blurb I'm so glad I decided to give it a go.
It's been a while since I've picked up a book and not wanted to put it down and work, eat or sleep! This story spans over the life of 3 generations of 3 women, Martha the jewish grandmother with dementia, Anna her cold and somewhat bitter daughter and Lucy, Martha's granddaughter and the apple
Sally Andrews
Feb 16, 2013 Sally Andrews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an AMAZING book. I thought it started slowly, but the author was really just doing a masterful job of introducing and building the characters. The story was one of modern times, with flashbacks to WWII, and the sad plight of the Jews. As one former Nazi comes to realize the horror of what he did, the story spins into one of many twists. It's all explained as we go along, and done beautifully. Extremely good read.
Linda
Jul 28, 2009 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, about 2 people (and, later, their families--husband, kids, etc.), who were involved in the Holocaust. They were neighbors, and their families (parents, siblings) were friends. But she was Jewish and Polish, and he was German. Years later, their paths cross again. The story is told as flashbacks to that earlier time, contrasted with the present, where she is losing her memory to Alzheimer's. The long-repressed memories keep bubbling up.
Diane Friswell
Jul 31, 2016 Diane Friswell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book it dealt with the complexities of families and the difficulties that secrets, lies and old age bring. Chapters of the book took us to Poland and the harrowing times that the second world war brought to this country and the Jewish population. We then were brought back to the present day and three generations of the Tremain family and their family battles with their lives. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it.
Judee
Mar 25, 2012 Judee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautifully written novel that contains some horrific elements in dealing with the Holocaust era. I had never read anything as detailed about the horrors suffered by the millions of Jews during WWII. Other than that, the story centers around a family living with aging parents and secrets long buried. The essential question is whether or not those secrets are best left buried or should they be brought out into the open?
Kim
Jul 19, 2014 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-for-me
I had a really hard time with rating this book. The story was mysterious, and moving. It could be a bit predictable and sometimes the voices of the characters were hard to distinguish or flipped so quickly it took a line or so to know who I was reading. I liked the book in general, but I had to convince myself to keep going multiple times, especially at the beginning.
Debbie
Jun 24, 2008 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lexi,Elise,Barb,Leslie,Jenny
This is the first book published in the US by this English author. I hope it's not her last. This is a beautifully written story of love and redemption. I was truly touched by the great love between the main characters, Fred and Martha, and the secret that bound them together but nearly destroyed their family.
Deann Doolittle
Mar 07, 2014 Deann Doolittle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I really liked this book. I started reading it and couldn't put it down. Has a little bit of everything. Sadness, regret, forgiveness, perseverance, but most importantly love. Every time I read a book about the holocaust, it just makes me mad and sad that people had to go through what they did. No one should have to endure that. I highly recommend this book as a good read.
Ashlee
Nov 10, 2016 Ashlee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely imagery in this book. Took a long time for me to feel attached to the characters. And a couple of them felt a little "rushed" or incomplete. But the characters you do learn a lot about, you feel like you could reach out and touch them. It was much better than you may think it will be from the cover.
Julschaen
Meine Meinung:

Ein schönes Buch, leider anfangs doch etwas zähflüssig. Man möchte endlich hinter die Geheimnisse kommen, aber es tut sich einfach nichts.
Der Roman hätte auf knapp 300 Seiten gekürzt werden können.

Trotzdem eine Leseempfehlung!
Sharron Shimbel
Sep 19, 2012 Sharron Shimbel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't be fooled by the cutsey cover, this book is a wonderful read. The characters are well developed and in fact this slows the start of the story but it is well worth perservering if you like historical, romantic fiction.
Carol Dass
Dec 09, 2016 Carol Dass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful beautiful story! It's all about three generations of a family who were touched and affected by prejudice and the violence of war. Vivid and compelling, I was in tears for the last third of the book, but I loved it!
Tracey
Apr 14, 2009 Tracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abiding love and a families forgiveness. The characters are well developed and take wings to soar through this incredible journey. I really enjoyed the authors style, made the book difficult to put down from start to finish!
Alysha
Nov 18, 2007 Alysha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not a Romance book gal, but this is more of Families Love and Forgiveness story. I Have never cried so much. I became emotionally attached to these characters. The Strength that Martha has to Forgive is truly amazing and Gives you strength to do the same.

I will read this book again....
James R. C.
Aug 08, 2015 James R. C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wonder and joy
Phyllis
WWII type story similiar in style to Rosamunde Pilcher.
E
Apr 03, 2016 E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to E by: shirley's pick
bookclub rated: 5
Michal
Jun 25, 2012 Michal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to skim some sections when it got pretty intense...a little much for a postpartum mamma, but still good!
Jody
Dec 23, 2007 Jody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book immensely. Definitely a "good read."
Kim
Oct 06, 2008 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kinda of a slow intense book about a family discovering a family secret of a young Jewish girl and a young German boy during the war.
D. Dalton
Mar 08, 2008 D. Dalton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
great story,.. I like WWII era fiction and really liked this one.
Tina Goldberg
A very good book. Predictable at times, but the character development is very very good. Have that box of Kleenix handy for this one.
  • So Happy Together
  • The Tender Mercy of Roses
  • Children of the Waters
  • The Wilde Women
  • This One and Magic Life: A Novel of a Southern Family
  • The Perfect Lie
  • Sufficient Grace
  • Mrs. Tim Christie
  • Rosamunde Pilcher: A Third Collection of Three Complete Novels. The Empty House/The Day of the Storm/Under Gemini (Three complete books, #3)
  • Miss You Most of All
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Slave in Ancient Greece!: A Life You'd Rather Not Have
  • Fatigue Artist
  • Redstone Station
  • This Flawless Place Between
  • Hold My Hand
  • Words Get In the Way
  • The Portable Stephen Crane
  • Discovering Nowhere
Much of my life has been as a gypsy without roots.

I travelled as a child, went to many schools, ending my education in a strict Catholic convent in Malta while my parents lived in Cyprus.

I was set on an acting career and after working as an ASM in The Theatre Royal Windsor I won a place at the London Academy of Music and Drama.

My acting career was brief. I went off to Germany, Norway, Sharjah, the
More about Sara MacDonald...