Start by marking “Jericho Walls” as Want to Read:
Jericho Walls

Jericho Walls

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Set in 1957, Jericho Walls is an unforgettable and inspiring novel about the power of friendship for a young girl growing up amid racism.

"I woke early that first Sunday in Jericho. The sun was barely a stain in the sky, but the air was hot and clammy. My nightgown stuck to my skin. I padded to the bathroom and splashed my face with cold water. My stomach clenched in a quea
Published March 6th 2007 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published April 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Jericho Walls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jericho Walls

Deborah
There's a lot to be said for this book, but what stands out more than anything is the narrator--and main character, naturally--Jo. She's spirited, but not a cliche. She's too unsure for that. Anyone who was the class tomboy knows you still want the girls to like you, want to be one of them, and Jo does. She doesn't make all the right choices. She does dumb things.

She's also racist, which I consider a positive quality of the book. Obviously racism is wrong, but in the South in the 1950s, social a
Miss Amanda
gr 5-6 209pgs

1957, Jericho, Alabama. When 11 year old Jo's father, a Baptist preacher, accepts a preaching position in his old hometown, Jo has a hard time fitting in. When Jo meets Lucas, she finally finds someone that she has something in common with. But she discovers that their friendship is something that must be hidden since the members of her father's church wouldn't approve of her friendship with Lucas because he is African American. Unlike Jo's father, Jo and her mother have a hard time
Arminzerella
Indira
Mar 15, 2010 Indira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I finished this book,i was so proud of Josephine and her father and mother for rebeling what seemed like distressed times of racism.Most people of Josephine's race would have been so disgusted,which they were,that a white girl was hanging out with a black boy.
In one scene,Josephine's father was having a meeting with his deacons of the church in their home.After discussing what they needed to discuss,they moved to a different topic concerning his wife and his daughter.The deacons were talk
Genesis
Jun 07, 2012 Genesis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What i think is that well Josephine the main character in the book is someone who goes to church yet listens to her parents but in her head she rater do other things besides church. She was always seen as the daughter of the paster and she didn't really like that because of the reason people said things behind her and exetra. She wanted a way to change for that others wouldn't say such things. I find this a big situation because Josephine is too afraid to tell her oarents and has to go trough so ...more
Denisse Carbo
Jul 24, 2014 Denisse Carbo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book pretty much interesting because it had to do with racism. While growing up, Josephine is known as the preachers daughter in Indiana. They moved recently and was struggling with fitting in with others. She meets an innocent boy named Lucas who's the maid's son. They get to know each other little by little , but kids from school started seeing her with him. People around her started to make fun of her just because she's hanging out with colored people. Her behavior started to cha ...more
LeAnne
When her preacher father accepts a post in Jericho, Alabama, in 1957, Jo wants to fit in but her growing friendship with a black boy forces her to confront the racism of the South and to reconsider her own values. Beautifully done. National events are in the background as they would be for an 11-year-old. Good characters, believable dialog, nice images.
Devyn
Mar 14, 2008 Devyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Devyn by: The In Group!
Shelves: young-adult
Jericho Walls is an amazing new book written by Kristi Collier. The book follows the life of a young girl named Jo, who moves from town to town with her Pastor father-on top of everything her mother is not making her life easy-he walks has been talking to the ‘black folk’.

Can Jo look past the racism that fuels the town, or will she fall into the mix of hate for each other? This book is for everyone who has attempted to read To Kill A Mockingbird and could never finish it, as well as for everyone
Judi
Sep 08, 2013 Judi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, historical
I didn't realize this was a Young Adult fiction book until I started in, but I couldn't put it down. It's a quick read about a preacher in a small town during the Civil Rights upheaval of the late 50's, early 60's.

Told from the perspective of the daughter, who is trying to combine behaving with making friends, the story is about race relations in a microcosm.

Will her accidental friendship with a black boy have a tragic ending? Will an outcast young mother and her mulatto child be welcomed in the
Anne Broyles
May 23, 2013 Anne Broyles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When 11-year-old Jo Clawson's minister father takes a church in the small southern town he grew up in, she discovers inequalities between the white and African-Americans in that small community (1957). I liked how the author kept the story mostly focused on one girl's experience in one small town, but mentioned larger, national events going on at the same time. This is an appropriate book for elementary kids as an introduction to the Civil Rights movement.

Note: I support independent bookstores a
Morgan
Mar 28, 2010 Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-books-i-own
i loved this book! it was so cute and amazingly wonderful to read. it is about a white girl who secrectly befriends a black boy in a town full of people who looked down on you if you associate with the "colored". this story was set a long time ago back with Martin Luther King Jr. and Rosa Parks. the young girl's dad is the pastor of the local church he has to face a decision of sticking up for what he knows is right or keeping his job as the well liked pastor of the church. this book is about fr ...more
Sophie
Aug 12, 2011 Sophie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is FABULOUS! More people MUST read this. It is a Historical Fiction book and
is what used to happen in History, Jo finds heself by a lake side by side with a
coloured little, nice boy, Lucas. He has the cutest dog that has a sad story behind himself.
As Lucas drifts away through the forest, Jo notices he has a limp is hi right leg. I PREDICT: Jo's mother, a Nurse will just look a boy who needs help, and look at his leg and purhaps fix it.
Apr 28, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous book about the Jim Crow era in the South. The protagonist is a sixth grade yankee girl whose father is a preacher. They move from the north to the south where she must deal with the bigotry of society and yet still try to fit into the social scene. Great for upper elementary. Well written. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Ben
Oct 18, 2012 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jericho Walls by Kristin Collier is a serious book. It has a "pop-out" message and makes the reader think a lot. This book is about racism, so it is a very strong theme. It is a shorter read, but amazing all over. It shows the perspective form two different sides of the story as the book "speaks" to you. All around, amazing book.
Mrs. Tongate
Jul 13, 2010 Mrs. Tongate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: african-american
Kudos to folks who had the courage to take a stand against injustice. Almost 55 years ago, African Americans were not allowed to check out public library books and we wonder why we have an achievement gap? Love Jo in this read. She's one fiesty librarian in the making!!

Page 76 quote
Brandee Terry
Jan 19, 2011 Brandee Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I've been on a streak of really good books. This one was no exception. A great story told from a young girls view. While it wasn't a "true" story, it could have been. Great characters and story!
Delena
Mar 11, 2013 Delena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story of friendship and racism. A very easy story to read about a family in the 50's and how they had to deal with racism around them and know they were doing the right thing.
 Imani ♥ ☮
This book was okay I guess. But the best part about it was how good it smelled! YUMMMMMM! :D
Bria
Feb 25, 2010 Bria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book opened up my eyes its a really good book.
Tûba
Jun 18, 2014 Tûba rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
plain,simple and cute...
Dylan
Apr 17, 2013 Dylan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Hana
Hana rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Donna Wampler
Donna Wampler marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Sela
Sela is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2016
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Paige Cottier
Paige Cottier marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Michele Maddren
Michele Maddren rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016