Start by marking “Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)

Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel #3)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  54,212 ratings  ·  1,377 reviews

A new queen has usurped the throne and is leading Cenaria into disaster. The country has become a broken realm with a threadbare army, little food, and no hope. Kylar Stern plans to reinstate his closest friend Logan as King, but can he really get away with murder?

In the north, the Godking's death has thrown Khalidor into civil war. To gain the upper hand, one faction att

Published June 11th 2009 by Hachette Digital (first published December 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Shadows

Mar 27, 2015 Carol. rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, really
Some times, I just get profoundly disappointed. When that happens, it becomes quite a challenge to keep on with second, third and fourth chances, which is what I've been doing with Week's Shadow series. I've realized, it is time for Brent and I to break up when I was pondering my review, and thought, "why bother?" You know that feeling you get at the end of the relationship when you know it's not even worth trying anymore? Or--and this might have happened to me today--those times when you might ...more
Oh my god this book was terrible.
The first book in the trilogy, I liked. Started off a bit dark, cracked along at a pace, lots of twists and turns and all in all a good read if slightly melodramatic with some truly terrible prose. Also I liked the idea of this "Night Angel" superhero and I loved Durzo's character.
Second book: began a bit like a teenage boys wet dream. Quite annoying really and quite strange to read as an adult. I found all the descriptions about how Elene wouldn't sleep with him
Weeks, we have a problem.

I didn't like these books anywhere near as much as I hoped I would. In fact, I was disappointed more often than not.

The writing was not to my taste at all. I hated most of the people in the story by the end of the first book. I spent much of my reading time being annoyed by everything.

And yet... you had your moments. You had your great characters (is one and a half enough to use the plural form?). And most importantly of all, you had a few fantastic ideas about the world
Shari  Mulluane
Every hint, every misdirection, every barely noticed event comes together in ways that make perfect sense, but surprise you nonetheless. Brent Weeks forces his characters to make impossible, painful decisions at every turn. The type of multilayered decisions where no matter what, somebody will suffer the consequences and often that somebody is the person they love most. The type of decisions where the right one is rarely the obvious choice and even self-sacrifice is not always the right path to ...more
Thus ends another trilogy. Overall, I was disappointed with Beyond the Shadows. In Way of the Shadows Weeks spun a marvelous tale for us. He hooked me deep. In Shadow's Edge Weeks continued a great story. I felt that Beyond the Shadows was a poor ending to a great beginning.

What I felt was the biggest upset in this book was that Weeks stopped showing us the story. Instead, he told us what happened. As any good author knows, show, don't tell. We would flip between characters, sometimes months go
While some people have been waiting over 20 years to finish The Wheel of Time, over 13 (and counting) for A Song of Ice and Fire, and over 10 for Malazan Book of the Fallen, it's a great feeling to finish a series and probably better for all the waiting I've been doing.

Concluding the Night Angel Trilogy, Beyond the Shadows is a great ending to a great series. While not without its faults, as I'll discuss in a bit, the characters are moving and the world fully realized, so much that I was a bit s
Men! Wtf was that?? i feel like i've been slapped! i really loved first two book and now i get this??
Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of good in this book, but most of it is way bellow from what i've come to expect from this series! And most of it is some of the worst moralistic crap i've heard in a long time!

Like the whole sex thing. Every character who had sex was portrayed as in some way a evil whore or dirty or seriously wrong. OMG! Are you for real?? I just hope some young innocent girl
4.0 to 4.5 stars. Outstanding conclusion to an outstanding series. Brent Weeks has created a superb world with original and well thought out magical systems and creatures. All of the loose ends begun in the first two novels, The Way of Shadows and Shadow's Edge are tied up tight as a drum and brought to a very satisfying conclusion. This series joins the ranks of one of the best fantasy series of recent years and I can not wait for the next book by this author. Highly recommended!!
David Sven
This book continues right on from book two. After Logan Gyres initial victory over the God King, Garoth Ursuul, and the Khalidorian Empire, he is left to deal with the surrounding nations closing in to stake their own claim on Cenaria. To make things worse the Vurdmeisters and remaining Ursuuls fight to reinstate themselves as the new god king. To this end some attempt to raise an army of creatures from the other side. Some are even desperate enough to try to raise the goddess Khali herself, wil ...more
Executive Summary: I really wanted to like this book more than I did. Most of my friends seemed to enjoy it, but I just found it a disappointment.

Audio book: Paul Boehmer again does a good, but not great job as a reader. He is clear and easy to understand. He does a few voices, but I really have trouble telling some of them apart.

Full Review
I found this book to be a letdown. I felt Shadow's Edge started going off the rails a bit and to be uneven. This book was worse.

There are things to like a
Pearlyn Ng
I don't write reviews.
I can't be bothered, half the time. Even if I love the book to pieces. I'll name my firstborn child after the protagonist and fan-stalk the author, but really, writing reviews isn't my cup of tea.

Brent Weeks deserves some solid applause. He's the first author that's made me a hate a book so much as to actually galvanize me into writing a review, can you imagine that?
The Way of Shadows was okay. I kinda liked it. Enough to try Shadow's Edge, which pretty much left me with a
Now that was just silly.

The book felt rushed and crammed of information that was spoon fed by plot devices (read: characters), and not shown by the tale itself.

The parts that weren't rushed were fight descriptions, which unless they're really well done can bore me, and angsty lovey-dovey crap, which bore me unless there's an actual point to them- save for one or two parts that could have been shorter, I didn't think there was much of a point in them.

As it were, I read it like:

"Important stuff h
Overall this was a great book and a satisfying end to the trilogy.

Weeks has built a complex and detailed world and a wide variety of characters, some of whom I loved, and some I hated. The battle scenes were well done and the writing flowed for the most part, with the exception of a few instances. I found the dialogue witty, reminiscent of Scott Lynch, although Weeks has a darker side to him, although it did seem to be more focused on the good in this book.

I feel that Weeks also is great at cre
After reading all the positive reviews of Beyond the Shadows, I've started to wonder whether I read the same book. Certainly, the novel I read had the same characters, but the impression that seems to have been made on others has been almost unanimously positive.

After a positive - if far from flawless - start in The Way of Shadows, the series started to descend into farce in the second instalment for my liking, before winding up here.

I was left with a feeling not dissimilar to how I felt about t
End of the journey.
Good and fitting final. Touching, moving with powerful emotions.
My deepest admiration is for Elena. Hat’s off.
Kylar, Durzo, Count Drake are my favourites. Even the Wolf.

However, there a few glaring drawbacks that I cannot dismiss.
First of all, the whole trilogy was a bit short on history of Midcyru. Brent Weeks has probably realised it and attempted to force feed us large chunks of it in the last book but it didn’t go very smoothly.
Second, too much was squeezed into one book.
Jan 05, 2009 Nathan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book had a very satisfying and very clean ending. I've been disappointed in the recent past how many series just sort of END, without any real resolution to the main plot, let alone many of the sub plots. It's as if the author lost the last third of his final manuscript three days before it was due to the publisher and had to put everything together on the fly.

Not so here.

While not everything is resolved (leaving open the possibility for more in this world), everything is settled and is cl
At this point, I've stopped caring about anything happening in The Night Angel trilogy. I thought the first book was good, the second bad, and am just finishing the series because it's a trilogy. Like the previous two books, Beyond the Shadows shifts in tone and story.

In some ways, Beyond the Shadows improved upon the previous book. One of the weak points of the entire trilogy was that you had these threads with characters who hardly got any story time. I neither remember nor cared about them. T
Amaze-balls. Felt like i just watched a movie by Peter Jackson. That is all.

i'll prolly review this fully in the next day or so.

in the meantime, READ THIS (series), PEOPLE!
This review is for the whole series.

The first book starts off really good. Really good. I read the opening pages and thought: Whoa, here's a good story, with some pretty good writing. Sadly, it quickly devolved from there to something far more common in the fantasy world: mediocre. Not terrible, just not good.

The main character is interesting only at the beginning, say, the first half or so of the book. After that, he's lost in the realm of generic...more This review is for the whole serie
Maggie K
Sigh. The whole idea that doe-eyed innocence is sexy repulses me. This book does a little too much of that to keep me happy, even though assassin main character is also erotically connected to a different (non-innocent) lady. Whatever. The big fight scene also left me a bit cold. It was a just a bit too... too. Not quite deus ex machina and not quite ridiculous. But just not fun.

Still: a satisfying read. When time melts, I get happy.
I was a little confused as how to rate this book, for it has too many flaws for it to be a five star book. but it way too entertaining for it to be a three star book. The third book, in the series in my opinion has a totally different feel than the first two books in the series. It begins after the GodKing has died. And everybody is somewhat scattered across Micdryu. And this third book focuses more on Khali. And the relationship between elene Kylar and Vi and all the other characters.

Because of
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
The final book in any trilogy usually has a lot it needs to accomplish, and this book was no different. I’m very happy that not only did it wrap everything up in a satisfying and believable way, but there was a depth to the story that I was not expecting.

I mentioned in reviews for previous installments that this series has a lovable protagonist, and that the series overall is supposed to have a balance of light and dark. Where the first book was really dark, this finale was really light. I was v
While I would have waited a very long time to finish this series if I’d been left to my own devices, the missus had been listening to this series on audible, and was VERY disappointed when she found out that I’d sort of let this slide after I finished the second book.

She kept wanting to talk about what was going on, and I kept having to shrug my shoulders and tell her I hadn’t been reading.

After being chastised mercilessly, I picked this up and gave it a read.

And lo and behold, it’s really good.
This is a wonderful book, full of epic suspence. It brings a lot of story threads together in a satisfying way, yet has plenty of surprises and twists and turns. It has wonderful characters that are fully realized and most of them have a great wrap-up for the series.

So why not 5 stars? Like the first two books in the series, this was hovering right about the 4-5 star rating for me the whole way through. If we had half or quarter stars, they would all get 4. something. Book 1 would probably rate
Alan Baxter
This is the first fantasy series that I’ve read in a long time and it was something I picked up completely on a whim. I was in a mall with my wife, waiting while she did some shopping. I wandered into a book shop and decided I might get something new to read and was attracted by the ninja-like figure on the front cover. The blurb talked about assassins and a quick thumb through convinced me to give the book a go.

I was a bit put off by the names, but I looked past that and bought the book. Classi
In this final installment of the Night Angel Trilogy, we find ourselves at the Battlefield of Pavvil’s Grove, where Logan Gyre defeated the Khalidorians at the end of Shadow’s Edge. Queen Terah Graesin did absolutely nothing to save her people, so she is clearly questioning whether Logan will be challenging her for the throne. As is always the case with Logan, he keeps his promise to be loyal to Terah. Despite everything he has gone through, Logan is an honorable man.

Kylar Stern realizes that he
So a few things bugged me about this book, but overall it was a good read. This is the final novel in the Night Angel trilogy. In it, Kylar is faced with challenges to his emotional growth on the way to saving the world. So the things I didn't like.... Again the novel took much too long to get going. I was at least 140 pgs in before I started getting sucked into the story. Also, Weeks again chose to follow way too many characters. He jumped from one vantage point to another with each chapter in ...more
Fantasy Book Club...: * Beyond the Shadows IV-Ch 75-the end! 7 85 May 23, 2013 07:23AM
Fantasy Book Club...: * Beyond the Shadows Part 1-Ch1-24 15 55 May 18, 2013 04:51PM
Fantasy Book Club...: * Beyond the Shadows Part III-chapters 50-74 6 36 Apr 18, 2013 12:51PM
Fantasy Book Club...: * Beyond the shadows Part II-Ch. 25-49 7 33 Apr 18, 2013 12:47PM
Fantasy Book Club...: Question about plot 9 69 Feb 12, 2013 05:04AM
Durzo and the path of Curoch 3 86 Feb 10, 2013 08:36PM
  • Dark Haven (Chronicles of the Necromancer, #3)
  • A Dance of Blades (Shadowdance, #2)
  • Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #5-6)
  • The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2)
  • The Awakened Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #2)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)
  • Last of the Wilds (Age of the Five, #2)
  • The Way of Kings, Part 2 (The Stormlight Archive #1.2)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Golden Fool (Tawny Man, #2)
Brent Weeks was born and raised in Montana. After getting his paper keys from Hillsdale College, Brent had brief stints walking the earth like Caine from Kung Fu, tending bar, and corrupting the youth. (Not at the same time.) He started writing on bar napkins, then on lesson plans, then full time. Eventually, someone paid him for it. Brent lives in Oregon with his wife, Kristi. He doesn’t own cats ...more
More about Brent Weeks...

Night Angel (3 books)
  • The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1)
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2)

“I'm not dreaming this, am I?" he asked.
Dehvi lifted an eyebrow. "There's only one way to know for sure," he said.
What's that?"
Go piss in the woods. If you feel wet and warm afterward, wake up.”
“There's no guarantee that justice will win out or that a noble sacrifice will make any difference. But when it does, there's something that still swells my chest. There's magic in that.... It tells me that's the way things are supposed to be. ” 71 likes