Start by marking “Mutineers' Moon” as Want to Read:
Mutineers' Moon

Mutineers' Moon (Dahak #1)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  3,967 ratings  ·  60 reviews
For Lt. Commander Colin MacIntyre, it began as a routine training flight over the Moon. For Dahak, a self-aware Imperial battleship, it began millennia ago when that powerful artificial intelligence underwent a mutiny in the face of the enemy. The mutiny was never resolved - Dahak was forced to maroon not just the mutineers but the entire crew on prehistoric Earth.

Dahak ha
Published (first published 1991)

Stephen
4.5 to 5.0 stars. Superb military SF with excellent world-building and above average character development. Dahak is a truly memorable character. Highly Recommended!!!
Dirk Grobbelaar
This reminded me, in no small part, of some of the old SF novels I’d read, such as This Island Earth and Slan. I’m not sure whether this is coincidental, or by the author’s design. Anyway, if you’re looking to read a military SF novel similar to Weber’s work in the Starfire universe or the Honor Harrington series, this might not be your thing. There is lots of action to be found here, but it is of a very, very different vintage. Does this mean this book was a disappointment? No, indeed not, alth ...more
Travis (Home of Reading)
This book has many things to like about it. Weber definitely steps outside of his comfort zone for sections of this title, and while not all of it works, I was glad to see him stretch his limits a bit.

The first thing that catches my attention is the use of genetically altered humans fighting among normal people. In a way, it is incredibly reminiscent of Sterling’s ‘Draka’ series, especially the final book in that series. Weber manages to write these characters in a way that they seem superhuman
J
This is my second Weber read (the first being "On Basilisk Station.") I liked it. The characters were good and the action was good, but... Weber uses a lot of characters in this book, with a lot of POV shifts. I had a hard time keeping track of who was who (and on which side of the book's central conflict) sometimes. Partly this was down to the epub's formatting (POV shifts that would be marked with a wider break between paragraphs in print form look like any other paragraph break when it comes ...more
Jakub
Oh dear. Veeeery cringeworthy material.

Okay, if you like naive science fiction, that is in fact an action novel, peppered with words like 'grav gun' and 'orbital missiles', go for it. Otherwise, save your time. I give it that I have finished the book, and I was remotely interested how things will work out in the end. But the whole story is fully of naive moments, unbelievable plot turns and very cliche scenes. Earthman teaching aliens poker? You bet. Marine names for different types of spaceship
Josh
It's surprising to see such little character development when there is so many characters in a book. If the author had put half as much effort into character development as he did into describing weaponry this would have made for a great book. Reading about grav guns and descriptions of brutal carnage will only carry a book so far. By the time I realized who had died, the moment was lost. I really liked the premise of the story but I think it's execution left a lot to be desired. I will read the ...more
Kathryn Tucker
I am not usually a military SF reader, but I quite liked this book. Excellent alien origins mythology and great action that kept me turning pages. The love story was totally predictable... irritatingly so, but luckily it was a subplot and didn't take up too much "screen time". Dahak, the ship, is the best character. I would have preferred more of the book to be written from his (its?) perspective.
Jesse
This is a pleasant romp in the style of older Weber books. A good and even mix of grand space opera, characters, intrigue and battles (both ground and space) lend to a delightful story that reaches back in the history of Earth and postulates an interesting fictional future. There is occasional handwavium, but for the most part it's kept under control and doesn't damage the story. Recommended.
Dan
Donald
David Weber has some terrific ideas. This book is no exception. The premise if very entertaining, but the story had many ebbs and flows.

The first half moves quickly. Then it starts to drag with new characters, new settings, and too much information too quickly. However, the end speeds up and I finished the book.

Enjoy.

Don
JC
The concept that an ancient race of humans came to earth in a huge moon-sized space ship, had a mutiny, and the Terran race was descended from them is a very interesting what if. David Weber is very detailed, yet, I found myself caught up in the story. And this was the second time reading it!
Jean Corbel
The idea behind the whole plot is great, the story is well paced.
The 4stars are pretty generous, as characters are very caricatural.
But it was a nice read, not unforgettable and certainly absolutely first degree... Rest of the brain is not so bad, isit?
Nathan
This is an absolute favorite of mine. The concept is incredible and while some parts of the plot are a little predictable, there are just moments where everything works perfectly. Highly recommended
Selena Lang
I read this years ago and really liked it. when I came across it again recently I decided to give it another read. This is still a great book. Recommend it to anyone who like sci-fi or David Weber.
Gary Holt
This book is great for ideas, less so for characters and battle (but ok for that, too). Totally predictable romance, but it worked ok and didn't ruin anything. I found some of the less major characters (the reformed mutineers and their allies) to be interesting as heroes. The main character as a hero is pretty stereotypical, but at least he did not get in the way of the story.

I've come back to this book several times, mostly because I think the ideas he had were fascinating enough to revisit, an
Sharon
Book 1 of the Dahak trilogy.

Colin has finally got his own mission, an exploratory trip around the back side of the moon. But all is not as it seems, apparently. His survey uncovers the fact that the moon is a ship, disguised in orbit for thousands and thousands of years. Mutinous acts stranded the people on Earth where their descendants continue the battle. Colin learns about the true history of humanity and as the current and reluctant messiah, is retrofitted to return to earth to save us all.
J.D.
So, apparently, the moon is really a spaceship that 51,000 years ago was forced to maroon the ancestors of today's human race on prehistoric Earth to keep part of it's mutinous crew from taking control of it. I knew it! :) Seriously though, the premise of the plot of this first book in a trilogy is quite clever. The details of history and events that result from the mutiny and it's long drawn out conclusions are kept believable by referencing them in hints and flickers while the current day reso ...more
Space
Oct 17, 2012 Space rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Space by: George
Shelves: e-books
Not my favorite space opera. I guess I'm not real big on intergalactic warfare. Just not my cup of tea. Two space-faring races at war with each other... Just doesn't seem realistic to me, and certainly isn't my first line of entertainment. I've always sort of subscribed to the notion that if a race is advanced enough to build FTL starships and travel between star systems, they're probably intelligent enough not to be hostile without cause. I don't hate space warfare, but it's just not very enter ...more
Alex
Well... I'm moving right along with my David Weber immersion program. "Mutineer's Moon" is one of his earlier works and it shows. He does reasonable work in battle narrative and describing weapons but this books is a little clumsy in many respects.

For example:

1. He doesn't explain very well why the main character was chosen by the Dahak computer/entity to captain the ship after the thousands upon thousands of years waiting.

2. It also seems beyond belief (not credible) that the main character
Curtiss
This is reminiscent of James P. Hogan's "Inherit the Stars" in which a 50,000 year-old corpse is discovered on the moon and the remains turn out to be modern human, not merely humanoid, in origin. Hogan developed this concept into a trilogy, including "The Gentle Giants of Ganymede" who have uplifted humanity from their apelike ancestors and had then been forced to abandon their fosterlings and flee to another system in "Giant's Star."

In "Mutineer's Moon," Weber has the moon itself turn out to b
Michael Cummings
I started reading this during the recent onset of rainy weather here in Virginia, starting with the hurricane last month. There's is something in my brain, a trigger, that associates cool, rainy weather with the trifecta of Saturday evenings, comic books, and pulpy science fiction/fantasy. It doesn't get much pulpier than Weber's Mutineer's Moon, book 1 of the Dahak trilogy. (I'm actually reading the omnibus edition, but thought it would be more fair to list the books individually as I finished ...more
Guy
"I wonder when this was written?", I thought after rereading this last night. It seemed a little less polished and assured than one of Weber's typical efforts... and indeed it turns out that this was his second solo book. There are no big flaws, however, and I devoured it in one seating (as usual!).

I love the premise of this book, which is truly brilliant, and since even the publisher's back-cover blurb writers, who normally love to give everything away, stayed quiet about it, I will say no mor
Emily Karn
Oct 22, 2014 Emily Karn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SciFi/Military Fans
The Moon has been hiding a secret for millenia, it is really Dahak, a self-aware battle globe of the Empire, trapped in orbit around Earth by a mutiny of his personnel. But now warning beacons have gone off, the anceint foe is retuning at long last and Dahak must take action to preserve the human race, so he is forced to enlist the unwilling aide of Colin Macintyre, a modern day astronaut.

Excellent book.
Wesley Fox
This book was written for an audience that does not include me. From the writing style and content its obvious this book is for a younger crowd, as in teens. The characters and plot are all captivating for a younger audience who loves space battles, futuristic weapons, but doesn't like complicated characters, subtlety, or drama. There is almost no drama in this book at all.

David Weber puts together some cool stuff, some explosions, and some nifty timelines and technology. He is a Michael Bay-typ
Biffbolt
2.5 stars.

Post-Decline Weber, but better than the later Harrington books at least. Didn't like it enough to seek out later books in the series, though.
Troy G
I read David Weber's Starfire books, and thought this book might be on par. It isn't. It occupies a world that is so much less interesting. It focuses on characters that are so much less interesting, and the Genre is more super-hero than Military Science fiction.

As a super-hero book, it was ok. But as a Military Sci Fi book it was eye-rollingly poor. It also felt like a bit of a YA book in many ways.

I recommend this book for those looking for a superhero / spy novel with a somewhat interesting
Andreas
A human pilot finds out that the moon is in fact a giant warship left there by the mutinous crew that turns out to have originall colonized the Earth. Our hero inherits an age old conflict. The premise is way out there, but these three books are good military science fiction, and a great deal of fun. The series consists of:

Mutineers’ Moon
The Armageddon Inheritance
Heirs of Empire

The three books have now been republished in the Empire from the Ashes omnibus.

Scott Rose
Yet another awesome series by Weber. This time it is set on Earth...with an astronaut on the moon exploring a deep cave to discover the moon is not a natural body...but an Imperial Battle Station called Dahak....who has been vigilantly monitoring the progress of the crew of Mutinieers who settled on the Earth. So begins the Armageddon Inheritance series...something that will not only enrapture you...but give you even more prospective into the Technological mastermind that make David Weber's book ...more
  • An Oblique Approach (Belisarius, #1)
  • Fortune's Stroke (Belisarius, #4)
  • Manxome Foe (Looking Glass, #3)
  • The Forge (Raj Whitehall, #1)
  • Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...

Dahak (3 books)
  • The Armageddon Inheritance (Dahak, #2)
  • Heirs of Empire (Dahak, #3)
On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1) The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2) The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3) Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4) Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)