Start by marking “Empire From the Ashes” as Want to Read:
Empire From the Ashes

Empire From the Ashes (Dahak #1-3)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  2,033 ratings  ·  41 reviews
"Just a routine day in lunar orbit. That's all Lieutenant Commander Colin MacIntyre, USN, expected. Only a simple training mission to test a new survey instrument intended for the first manned American-Russian interstellar flight." "What he got was just a bit different. First, there was the three thousand-kilometer diameter alien starship pretending it was the Moon. And th ...more
ebook
Published March 1st 2003 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Empire From the Ashes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empire From the Ashes

Stephen
4.5 stars. The Dahak trilogy, which includes Mutineers' Moon, The Armageddon Inheritance and Heirs of Empire is superb military space opera. I believe it belongs on the "must read" list of all fans of the genre. One thing I found that set this apart from typical "military" based science fiction is the development of the main characters and the focus on their relationships and how much they respect and care for each other. I especially liked the growth of the relationship between Colin McIntyre ( ...more
Bigal-sa
I really enjoyed this monster of a book (almost 17000 Kindle locations!) The only thing that stopped me from giving it 5* was Weber's love of political intrigue (one of the reasons why I stopped reading his Honor series). While politics cannot be ignored in the greater scheme of the book, it did get a bit much.

As always, Weber's battle scenarios are well written - whether the fighting is in high tech space ships or in medieval swordfights. I really loved Dahak.

Apart from the politics, the only t
YouKneeK
Empire from the Ashes is an omnibus containing all three books in the Dahak series.

The first book in the series quickly introduces us to the rather preposterous premise that Earth’s moon is actually a gigantic spaceship, disguised like a moon. This spaceship is controlled by a sentient and likeable computer, Dahak, but he no longer has a crew for reasons explained at the beginning of the book. One of the main characters, Colin, is a normal 21st century human with no idea that there’s intelligen
***Dave Hill
Jun 07, 2011 ***Dave Hill rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: space opera fans
Shelves: text
Some folks think of epic space opera and say, why? Others day, "Hey, maybe the Moon is actually a massive abandoned space battleship and the human race was founded by its mutinous crew tens of thousands of years ago" and say, why not?

An omnibus of Weber's earliest solo series (Mutineer's Moon in 1991, followed by The Armageddon Inheritance in 1994 and Heirs of Empire in 1996), the tale is a bit more roughly-hewn than his later works. MM, the earliest, is the most straightforward, establishing th
Hal
This is actually three books: Mutineer's Moon, The Armageddon Inheritance, and Heirs of Empire.
If you take a pinch of "space", add a teaspoon of "opera", then throw in a dash of heroic humans, and another dash of vile villains (don't forget the long dead empire with super technology), put in the fusion reactor at 30 million degrees for 30 minutes, you end up with Space Opera on a grand scale.

You know the routine - massive alien armada is sweeping through the galaxy, destroying any species that
Jim
Product Description

For Colin MacIntyre, it began with a routine training flight over the moon. For Dahak, a self-aware Imperial battleship, it began millennia ago, standing guard against an unknown enemy which once devastated the galaxy-and now has returned. So Dahak grabbed MacIntyre's ship and informed him that he was drafted to be its new captain and lead the fight against the ancient enemy.

MacIntyre had doubts that he could handle the job, but Dahak had definitely picked the right man. Be

Patricrk patrick
similar bits to some of his other series show up here. good action story.
Harrison Bruni
Oh my this book seems so much longer than it actually is, wow. It's still good though :).
Kathy Davie
Per Gunnar
After the first two volumes I thought this was 5 star material. With the third volume it nose dived though. The first ones are just wonderful with a lot of surprise effect for humanity, a clear enemy and quite a lot of tech stuff and ship combat.

I really liked the first two but unfortunately I disliked the third one just as much. The tech stuff and ship combat was pretty much gone and replaced with conspiracies, politics, religion and being stranded on a backwater planet fighting with primitive
Read Ng
I found this book in the public library used bargain book bin. It is really a compilation of his three books, Mutineer’s Moon, The Armageddon Inheritance, and Heirs of Empire. I am debating should I count it as a single book or three separate reads? Since this is intended to help readers select their own GoodRead, I will rate the three books individually and also as a single read. Then it will be star rated by me as such.

Overall, I still did not find this series of books quite to my liking. I un
Ken Selvia
Maybe fine in printed form but I didn't care for the narrator and the story moved too slow. I didn't really care about any of the characters.
Torben
The Dahak trilogy is an excellent work on the military SF front and definitly is David Weber at its (almost) best. The characters have depth and the storyline is not completly focused on the military part of the story. As ususal, conspiracy and intruige have its place as well in the books.

War is not glorified, for those fearing that. Weber also shows the dark side of any conflict and - especially - that there are always two sides of the truth. The (space) combat is not as detailed as you might
William Emerson
Typical David Weber. He first introduces ideas in this series that you see show up in later series of his books. His writing has matured since he wrote these books and this also shows. Still enjoyable characters and a good read overall.
Andreas
A human pilot finds out that the moon is in fact a giant warship left there by the mutinous crew that turns out to have originall colonized the Earth. Our hero inherits an age old conflict. The premise is way out there, but these three books are good military science fiction, and a great deal of fun. The series consists of:

Mutineers’ Moon
The Armageddon Inheritance
Heirs of Empire

The three books have now been republished in the Empire from the Ashes omnibus.

Vedran
I would have given it 5 stars, but few weak points dropped it under so it's a 4.

In the core, book is a classic and often repeated story (both in fantasy and sci-fi) of heroes, villains, an enemy horde that is coming and threatens survival and a happy ending, with a few twists along the way.

But all the familar elements are very nicely put together and story switches from fast paced action to slow paced explanations, making it an very enjoyable read and hard to put down once you start reading.
Jon
The first two, closely-coupled, books are solid space opera. Some of Weber's Honorverse themese make their first appearance here. Well worth reading for pulling off a somewhat ridiculous premise. The final volume in the trilogy is longer, drags a bit, and doesn't connect as well. (Or, some of the annoyances of later Honor stories show up. )I also loathed Jiltanith's speech affectation. I have no idea if it's accurate but it doesn't seem right and was very distracting.
Bluecobras09
With the mingling of appears to me to be some Honorverse and Safehold series this turned out to be an engaging read. As it is by David Weber, I would mark this book as a must read.
Morgan G Migita
Awesome read!

I have read this series 4 times over the years and still enjoy it as well as the first read.
Heather
Our moon is actually a starship, which after 50,000 has become sentient and has a soul. We are descended from mutineers who abandoned the starship and fled to earth because they no longer believed that there was a threat to the human race. How wrong they were... Now our race has overthrown the mutineers and must fight for our very existence.

Super fun read so far.
Devin
I really enjoyed reading these after starting with David Weber's Safehold series.

They are a fun read, the third volume is a pretty far departure from the first two, but is still good.

I was very amused to see the inception of ideas used in the Safehold books be explored.
Mathew
Great military science fiction. I really enjoy David Weber - as long as he stays away from how a woman might think (See my review of Honor Harrington #11). I loved this series. Dahak is my favorite autonomous vehicle since KIT from Knight Rider.
Derp
Apr 02, 2008 Derp rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science Fiction fans
Possibly the best series of Sci-Fi books i have ever read. It has everything i ever wanted in a sci-fi book! I absolutely loved it in all aspects. It has a great blend of action, tactics, technology, and conspiracies. This is a must read in my opinion!
Nick
Kind of what I expect from David Weber. Interesting story, great action, and some good old military space opera. Not as good as the Honor Harrington series or the Safehold series, but definitely worth the read. It thoroughly entertained me.
Aaron
Decent story - has the beginnings of the SafeHold series, which is a much better and more detailed version of parts of the 3rd book. Too much detail in some places and not enough in other make this not as good as many of his other works.
Elizabeth
This is a compilation of three books, all of which I love so I was very excited to find them all published in one volume. I enjoy David Weber's science fiction, his style is sweeping in scope with the right balance of drama and humor.
Serge Fjetland
can i give this book 10 stars? cause 5 is JUST NOT ENOUGH!

this is quite possibly David Webers best work, with lively character, a fast plot, and a GREAT narritive!

i would recomend this book to anyone who is interested in books
Bill
A very good collection of early works from Weber, the third novel has a lot of parallels with his Safehold series. It's almost like reading an early draft and seeing the seeds of what he adapted and expanded upon later.
Matthew
A very enjoyable book with great adventure, and a fun world. A few strawman get pummeled along the way, but, all in all, fun.
Beth
My copy is getting a little ragged around the edges from the number of times I've read it.
  • Warlord (Raj Whitehall, #1-2)
  • Eye of the Storm (Hedren War, #1)
  • Exodus (Starfire, #5)
  • The Tide of Victory (Belisarius, #5)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name
More about David Weber...

Dahak (3 books)
  • Mutineers' Moon (Dahak, #1)
  • The Armageddon Inheritance (Dahak, #2)
  • Heirs of Empire (Dahak, #3)
On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington, #1) The Honor of the Queen (Honor Harrington, #2) The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3) Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington, #4) Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)