Start by marking “Nightmares in the Sky: Gargoyles and Grotesques” as Want to Read:
Nightmares in the Sky: Gargoyles and Grotesques

Nightmares in the Sky: Gargoyles and Grotesques

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  2,183 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Photographer f-stop Fitzgerald and Stephen King introduce readers to the gargoyles, the faces we rarely see but are always watching us. The masterful blending of text and photos sweeps readers into a maelstrom of monsters watching from above--a nightmare in the sky. 24 full-color photos, 100 duotones.
Published October 7th 1988 by Viking Books

To ask other readers questions about Nightmares in the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightmares in the Sky

The Stand by Stephen KingMisery by Stephen KingThe Shining by Stephen KingThe Green Mile by Stephen KingCarrie by Stephen King
Famous Literary Couples: Tabitha and Stephen King
88th out of 98 books — 13 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingThe Giver by Lois LowryThe Silence of the Lambs by Thomas HarrisThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeDracula by Bram Stoker
Scary is Best
79th out of 74 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrew
Ok first off - this is not a Stephen King book - yes there is a large amount of text in there written by King but it is far from being his work. That is done by f-Stop, the photographer. There are some truly amazing pictures which to me at least remind me that there is so much going on i ignore or just walk on by without ever taking in. And all this amazing imagery from a country centuries younger than mine- for fear of stepping in something i wish i had not - its a reminder to look up and aroun ...more
Dave
This afternoon my wife and I ran to the library for an hour. We didn't have 30 minutes to find "just the right book" so we picked some random numbers and generated a Dewey call number. Due to some minor machinations in some underworld, we happened to pick this little book.

Kind of a magical experience -- eerie photos of demonic imps hidden above the everyday bustling New York scenery. It looked a little kitschy from the title, but as I paged through the book each haunted, eroding face seemed to m
Paul Valente
Fairly interesting photographic coffee table book on Gothic architecture, specifically Gargoyles. Limited to New York though.
Kathy
This was a really interesting book. Stephen King wrote the text to go along with all the very cool pictures of Gargoyles and the like on old buildings. First he talks about his surprise at being asked to take on this project, and then his surprise once again when he actually came to New York City and looked up.....the nighmares in the sky were definitely looking down at him. He goes on to talk about movies and books that have been influenced by these strange creatures. Really entertaining! And t ...more
Joann
A large format (coffee table) book of photographs of gargoyles. I'm so glad this book exists because look up at all the new buildings and not a gargoyle in sight! Pity. I guess I never paid much attention to gargoyles until I rode on the top of a double deck bus south on Central Park West and passed the Dakota. Those gargoyles really woke me up!

This brings me to a few complaints about this book that have nothing to do with the fabulous photographs. In my view, the index stinks. It's sparse and
Stefan Yates
Make no mistake, the stars of the show for this book are the amazing artwork on the sculptures themselves and the photography that brings these images to us. Stephen Kings contribution is no more than an essay and the essay itself isn't really on gargoyles per say, but more on the process of becoming involved in this project and the resultant way that gargoyles began to make him feel once he began to notice them in places that he'd never seen them before he was involved in this project.

All that
Sharon
May 07, 2015 Sharon added it
Beautiful photographs by fStop Fitzpatrick, text by King. Highlights the parts of architecture rarely seen from the city below. A must for any SK library.
Martin
Eh, it didn't do much for me.
Michael
very cool book
Patricia Mick
beautiful book
Ardy Ardy
Found this book by chance and really liked it. Stephen King's "essay" was very entertaining and the pictures were fascinating. Some of the gargoyles pictured were genuinely creepy, but all of them were beautiful works of art. Not much to say about the book since it is basically a book of photographs, but I recommend it to anyone interested in these beautiful and disturbing sculptures and statues.
Professor
Beautiful pictures of gargoyles, accompanied by a short, vaguely amusing, but shallow essay by Stephen King that spends way too much time discussing the TV-movie Gargoyles. I read this as a kid, swiping my brother's copy, and it was fun to do so before. I'm also curious if the ones in Boston are still there!
Nancy
This is a somewhat dated, but nonetheless creepy, and haunting photography book about gargoyles in America. Stephen King wrote a nice essay to accompany the pictures detailing his experiences with gargoyles on film and his discovery of their hiding places within the canyons of New York City.
David Garrett jr

Not really a book per say, but more of a collection of pictures of gargoyles. They are really cool and the first 40 pages or so are accompanied by an essay about them that Stephen King wrote. This is I read it, but kind of a cool thing to add to my King collection.
Ross Buffa
I never looked at gargoyles this way and never will again. They do almost look alive in a lot of ways the way Stephen King states and it creeps me out. The pictures are frightening when you look at them just the right way. Amazing "coffee table" book.
Lisa
Jul 12, 2013 Lisa is currently reading it
i would like to read it, please, give me that opportunity. accuatually i am from russia and that book did not translated on our language, thats whu id like to read it in original
Kandice
I loved the pictures. I can just imagine SK walking around New York, book in hand, reading as he walks, stepping on toes, occasionally looking up at... gargoyles!
Colleen
It's about gargoyles. Just Steve's observations of them in the form of a great coffee-table book. The photography is just great!
Jan
Essentially a collection of beautiful gargoyles in their habitats with an essay by Stephen King, a perfect book for Halloween night.
Craig
An over-sized volume of photographs of gargoyles. Cool old art and architecture; an interesting diversion.
Sidney
Great picture-book of gargoykes from around the world. The forward is done by Stephen King.
Stacey Cook
Beautiful portraits, and a very interesting if not long-winded introduction from Stephen King.
Emma Audsley
I *love* this book!
Massive & full of King & Gargoyles! What more is needed? ;)
SmarterLilac
Fun! This was the book that actually made me think about gargoyles. They're everywhere.
Grant&Mimi
my current Favie coffeetable book (even though I have no coffee table :P
Thoraiya
(Also ruined in the floods. Also deserves to be purchased again).
Elizabeth
Stunning. Terrifying. Beautiful.
TheDenizen
Some really beautiful photography.
Amy
Sep 14, 2008 Amy added it
All I can say is its amazing
Johnna
Wonderful photography.
  • Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King
  • Stephen King: The Art of Darkness
  • The Stephen King Companion
  • The Lost Work Of Stephen King: A Guide to Unpublished Manuscripts, Story Fragments, Alternative Versions and Oddities
  • The Stephen King Universe: The Guide to the Worlds of the King of Horror
  • Stephen King Illustrated Companion Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance
  • How to Draw and Paint Fairies: From Finding Inspiration to Capturing Diaphanous Detail, a Step-By-Step Guide to Fairy Art
  • Road Rage: Two Novellas (Duel & Road Rage)
  • 999: Twenty-nine Original Tales of Horror and Suspense
  • The Journals of Eleanor Druse: My Investigation of the Kingdom Hospital Incident
  • Book of the Dead
  • Faithful: Two Diehard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season
  • Best New Horror (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, Best Of)
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Houses without Doors
  • The Stand: Hardcases
  • The Best of Cemetery Dance, Volume 1
More about Stephen King...
The Shining (The Shining, #1) The Stand It Misery Carrie