Start by marking “Nightmares in the Sky: Gargoyles and Grotesques” as Want to Read:
Nightmares in the Sky: Gargoyles and Grotesques

Nightmares in the Sky: Gargoyles and Grotesques

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  2,539 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Photographer f-stop Fitzgerald and Stephen King introduce readers to the gargoyles, the faces we rarely see but are always watching us. The masterful blending of text and photos sweeps readers into a maelstrom of monsters watching from above--a nightmare in the sky. 24 full-color photos, 100 duotones.
Published October 7th 1988 by Viking Books

To ask other readers questions about Nightmares in the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightmares in the Sky

Coos Burton
Sep 19, 2016 Coos Burton rated it it was amazing
La "No ficción" es definitivamente uno de mis géneros literarios predilectos, ya que si bien la lectura de novelas y cuentos es algo que me apasiona, el conocer nuevos aspectos sobre cosas de las que sé poco y nada, o directamente ignoro por completo, es algo que veo muy beneficioso. Siempre fui una persona curiosa, por lo que siempre me resulta interesante mechar un libro sobre alguna temática puntual y ponerme a leer, como es en este caso con "Nightmares in the sky" con su recopilación de gárg ...more
Andrew
Feb 25, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it
Ok first off - this is not a Stephen King book - yes there is a large amount of text in there written by King but it is far from being his work. That is done by f-Stop, the photographer. There are some truly amazing pictures which to me at least remind me that there is so much going on i ignore or just walk on by without ever taking in. And all this amazing imagery from a country centuries younger than mine- for fear of stepping in something i wish i had not - its a reminder to look up and aroun ...more
K.T. Katzmann
Apr 14, 2016 K.T. Katzmann rated it really liked it
 photo scan0003_zpszlfyovmr.jpg

Cool. This one's full of surprises.

So I saw this at my local library and decided to pick up a company. Serendipity abounds, because it's even neater than I thought.

I fully expected a panoply of awesome and varied gargoyles.

photo scan0002_zpsd1mt853i.jpg

Got that.

So I flip to the introduction, and find Stephen King pontificating on gargoyles. And Gargoyles.

photo 319905d80dc4328dd18c34ed73348cee_zpstmuxlhdm.jpg
The hell am I reading?

I love Stephen King, and I particularly love his nonfiction, like Danse Macabre and On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft. His prose always reads lik
Sonatajessica
Mar 09, 2016 Sonatajessica rated it really liked it
Want to know how I realized I am fascinated with Gargoyles? Step one into my obsession was visiting Paris and with that Notre Dame. Step two was watching the movie "I, Frankenstein". Yep, I am the only person on the planet who loves that movie, I understand it is slightly, ehm, silly, but man, those gargoyles! Gargoyles!!!!!!
So, yeah, obsession and at the end of the road the desire to frame a story involving gargoyles started my "Gargoyle March" where I will be diving into a few books aside my n
Dave
Jan 02, 2017 Dave rated it really liked it
This afternoon my wife and I ran to the library for an hour. We didn't have 30 minutes to find "just the right book" so we picked some random numbers and generated a Dewey call number. Due to some minor machinations in some underworld, we happened to pick this little book.

Kind of a magical experience -- eerie photos of demonic imps hidden above the everyday bustling New York scenery. It looked a little kitschy from the title, but as I paged through the book each haunted, eroding face seemed to m
Kathy
Nov 01, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it
This was a really interesting book. Stephen King wrote the text to go along with all the very cool pictures of Gargoyles and the like on old buildings. First he talks about his surprise at being asked to take on this project, and then his surprise once again when he actually came to New York City and looked up.....the nighmares in the sky were definitely looking down at him. He goes on to talk about movies and books that have been influenced by these strange creatures. Really entertaining! And t ...more
Paul Valente
Jan 06, 2015 Paul Valente rated it liked it
Fairly interesting photographic coffee table book on Gothic architecture, specifically Gargoyles. Limited to New York though.
Crystal Brown
Nov 18, 2016 Crystal Brown rated it it was amazing
Loved this loved the pictures
Stefan Yates
May 03, 2014 Stefan Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: stephen-king
Make no mistake, the stars of the show for this book are the amazing artwork on the sculptures themselves and the photography that brings these images to us. Stephen Kings contribution is no more than an essay and the essay itself isn't really on gargoyles per say, but more on the process of becoming involved in this project and the resultant way that gargoyles began to make him feel once he began to notice them in places that he'd never seen them before he was involved in this project.

All that
Joann
Apr 06, 2014 Joann rated it really liked it
A large format (coffee table) book of photographs of gargoyles. I'm so glad this book exists because look up at all the new buildings and not a gargoyle in sight! Pity. I guess I never paid much attention to gargoyles until I rode on the top of a double deck bus south on Central Park West and passed the Dakota. Those gargoyles really woke me up!

This brings me to a few complaints about this book that have nothing to do with the fabulous photographs. In my view, the index stinks. It's sparse and
Spencer Borup
Nov 12, 2015 Spencer Borup rated it liked it
I, just like many others I'm sure, picked this coffee-table photography book up because of Stephen King.

While the photos were nice, and I certainly appreciated the idea behind a collection of all the different gargoyles and statues hiding in the architecture of New York City--I lived there for a year and never noticed them--it wasn't really enough to keep my interest. Like I said, it was King's essay that kept me around.

I love reading King's little intros and essays and non-fiction, because I ca
Ardy Ardy
Feb 16, 2013 Ardy Ardy rated it really liked it
Found this book by chance and really liked it. Stephen King's "essay" was very entertaining and the pictures were fascinating. Some of the gargoyles pictured were genuinely creepy, but all of them were beautiful works of art. Not much to say about the book since it is basically a book of photographs, but I recommend it to anyone interested in these beautiful and disturbing sculptures and statues.
Professor
Dec 05, 2012 Professor rated it really liked it
Beautiful pictures of gargoyles, accompanied by a short, vaguely amusing, but shallow essay by Stephen King that spends way too much time discussing the TV-movie Gargoyles. I read this as a kid, swiping my brother's copy, and it was fun to do so before. I'm also curious if the ones in Boston are still there!
Ross Buffa
May 02, 2014 Ross Buffa rated it it was amazing
I never looked at gargoyles this way and never will again. They do almost look alive in a lot of ways the way Stephen King states and it creeps me out. The pictures are frightening when you look at them just the right way. Amazing "coffee table" book.
David Garrett jr
Oct 21, 2014 David Garrett jr rated it liked it

Not really a book per say, but more of a collection of pictures of gargoyles. They are really cool and the first 40 pages or so are accompanied by an essay about them that Stephen King wrote. This is I read it, but kind of a cool thing to add to my King collection.
Nancy
May 04, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it
This is a somewhat dated, but nonetheless creepy, and haunting photography book about gargoyles in America. Stephen King wrote a nice essay to accompany the pictures detailing his experiences with gargoyles on film and his discovery of their hiding places within the canyons of New York City.
Lisa
Jul 12, 2013 Lisa is currently reading it
i would like to read it, please, give me that opportunity. accuatually i am from russia and that book did not translated on our language, thats whu id like to read it in original
Craig
Jun 05, 2007 Craig rated it liked it
An over-sized volume of photographs of gargoyles. Cool old art and architecture; an interesting diversion.
Colleen
Jun 18, 2012 Colleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It's about gargoyles. Just Steve's observations of them in the form of a great coffee-table book. The photography is just great!
Jen Pierce
Sep 27, 2015 Jen Pierce rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Lovely, creepy, and just a bit macabre - my kind of coffee table book. Now I look forward to a trip to New York to scout out some of these gargoyles.
Sharon
May 07, 2015 Sharon added it
Beautiful photographs by fStop Fitzpatrick, text by King. Highlights the parts of architecture rarely seen from the city below. A must for any SK library.
Jan
Nov 28, 2014 Jan rated it really liked it
Essentially a collection of beautiful gargoyles in their habitats with an essay by Stephen King, a perfect book for Halloween night.
Kandice
Aug 05, 2008 Kandice rated it it was amazing
I loved the pictures. I can just imagine SK walking around New York, book in hand, reading as he walks, stepping on toes, occasionally looking up at... gargoyles!
Mike Stofer
Mike Stofer rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2013
Katie Barry
Katie Barry rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2011
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Writegoddessinspired
Writegoddessinspired rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2012
Cody Wiseman
Cody Wiseman rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2013
Denver Talbot
Denver Talbot rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Kishon Carter
Kishon Carter rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2014
  • Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King
  • The Lost Work Of Stephen King: A Guide to Unpublished Manuscripts, Story Fragments, Alternative Versions and Oddities
  • The Stephen King Companion
  • Stephen King: The Art of Darkness
  • The Stephen King Universe: The Guide to the Worlds of the King of Horror
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance
  • Stephen King Illustrated Companion Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror
  • How to Draw and Paint Fairies: From Finding Inspiration to Capturing Diaphanous Detail, a Step-By-Step Guide to Fairy Art
  • Road Rage: Two Novellas (Duel & Road Rage)
  • 999: Twenty-nine Original Tales of Horror and Suspense
  • Horror: The 100 Best Books
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • The Journals of Eleanor Druse: My Investigation of the Kingdom Hospital Incident
  • Book of the Dead
  • Houses without Doors
  • Faithful: Two Diehard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season
  • Stephen King: Uncollected, Unpublished
  • I Shudder at Your Touch
More about Stephen King...