Start by marking “Secrets of the Tides” as Want to Read:
Secrets of the Tides

Secrets of the Tides

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,986 ratings  ·  301 reviews
Every family has its secrets. Some are small, like telling a white lie or snooping through a private drawer. Others are more serious, like infidelity and betrayal. And some secrets are so terrible they must be hidden away in a deep, dark place, for if they ever came to light, they would surely tear a family apart . . .

The Tides are a family full of secrets. Returning to Cl
Published April 12th 2012 by Orion Publishing (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of the Tides, please sign up.

Linda The House of Tides is the American version of the UK Secrets of the Tides
The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz ZafónPieces of You by J.F. ElferdinkThe Winter Sea by Susanna KearsleyHome Front by Kristin HannahSecrets of the Tides by Hannah Richell
Autumn/Winter Reads 2012
5th out of 27 books — 25 voters
Rebecca by Daphne du MaurierMariana by Susanna KearsleyThe Forgotten Garden by Kate MortonThornyhold by Mary StewartJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
So You're a Homeowner...
34th out of 151 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Sharon
Dora and Dan are expecting their first child and although the pair are in a loving relationship, Dora has major concerns and worries about becoming a mother. Dan is not sure why, Dora is so unsettled and thinks it might be to do with her past. Dora decides it's time to revisit her past back in Clifftops. The one person who can help her with her past and hopefully answer her questions is her mother, Helen.

Helen and Richard were quite young when they found out, Helen was pregnant. They loved each
Kathryn
On the whole, I liked this. I did however, feel the writing was a little cliched at times - I caught myself mentally rolling my eyes on a few occasions, and just poor writing in general at other times. The example that stuck in my mind most was something along the lines of "She screamed horribly. It was horrible."

I enjoyed the premise, although, once we discovered what the tragic event was that caused such dysfunction in the family, the reaction of one of the characters seemed rather unbelievabl
Brenda
Helen and Richard were in a fledgling relationship, but were very close, so when Helen discovered she was pregnant, and Richard declared they should get married, she wasn’t sure. But they decided they loved each other, and would be married before their baby arrived. Visiting Richard’s childhood home to tell his parents of their upcoming marriage, and Helen’s pregnancy proved more difficult than they had hoped. Richard’s parents were of the old school, especially his mother, who declared Helen no ...more
Helen
The cover is so inviting … but wait until you see what is inside!
This is a story about one family, the Tides, and the incidents and consequences of family life … and certainly not your average family.
I often shy away from books that jump back and forth along timelines. However, this one does it rather seamlessly and I am never left wondering ‘who is she?’ or ‘what period is this’. The connectedness is wonderful.
Chapters are written from varying character viewpoints … once again, you find yoursel
Gill
This debut novel kept me gripped from the first page to the last.

It is a vivid and visual family saga covering three generations of women . It deals with the complex relationships which can ensue from the struggle women frequently deal with (even in contemoporary times)of being true to themselves, and yet at the same time creating strong and enduring relationships.

The secret, which is at the centre of the maelstrom in the lives of the Tide family, is at the heart of this story. I loved the femal
Dawn
I loved this book ....
If you want a read which keeps you turning the pages this is it, especially if you enjoy gripping family sagas with an added touch of drama, mystery, and suspense

Beautifully written, and the Tide family are great characters, who bought me to tears.

I have no hesitation in highly recommending 'Secrets of the Tides'

A fantastic debut novel one I will think about for a long time, and eagerly wait to read another by Hannah Richell ...

Had a promo copy to review, thank heavens
Josie
A wholehearted family tale of tragedy, loss and misunderstanding.
The book held my attention throughout, however my not being a fan of neat and tidy, happily ever after wrapping up of a novel, stopped this from being rated higher in the enjoyment scales.
It reached a fork in the road where it could have turned either down the mystery path, or taken the chick-lit route....unfortunately for me, it took the chick-lit 'it'll all work out alright' path.
Now there is nothing wrong with that, it simply is
Sandra
I really enjoyed this book. I expected it to be silly and to have a sickly sweet ending. It did not. The writing is wonderful and conjures up perfect imagery. For example:

"It’s a treat not to be in the office. Most people, she knows, will be safely stashed at their desks by now, beginning the daily grind, staring at computer screens, talking into telephones, doing their deals, making decisions. She doesn’t get to experience this side of London very often, the hours when elderly people creep out
Min Li Li
Kitabın kısa özeti şu; şehvetine düşkün bir anne ve kızın yüzünden bir ailenin parçalanışı ve masum aile üyelerinin de yıllarca pişmanlıkla yaşaması.Cidden ama cidden Helen ve Cassie'den nefret ettim, heralde en nefret ettiğim karakterler listesinde ilk sırada yer alır bu ana-kız.Biri kocasını aldatmak için diğeri de sevgilisiyle tek başına kalmak istediği için olanlar oldu.İkinizde KATİLSİNİZ.AÇIK ve NET.
Kitabın başlarında Helen'i sevmeye başlamıştım ama sayfalar ilerledikçe nefretim katlanarak
Annetta

Corny super soppy and totally predictable : can not believe this got published ! Rubbish !
Dale Harcombe
The story starts with a woman throwing herself off a bridge. Only as the story progresses, do we find out who the woman is and why she carries such guilt.
This is an extremely readable book that keeps you turning the pages. Dora is pregnant and less than thrilled about the news, even though her boyfriend Dan is happy about it. She traces her fears back to her upbringing and with good reason. The reader finds out more as the story goes back to her early life at Clifftops with her mother Helen , a
Sharon Thomson
The very brief synopsis on the book cover makes you think that this may be a Maeve Binchy type of book. Think again.

This is a tale of a family, a home that has been in the family for a couple of generations and the sad tale of one summer day. Each chapter is seen from a different character’s perspective and also from a different period in time. At first this can be a bit disorientating until you get to know the characters and are drawn in by their story.

Each chapter is also split into readable
Victoria Watson
I had been putting off reading this debut from Hannah Richell as I thought it was going to be a typical chick-lit nonsense but ‘Secrets of the Tides’ goes way beyond any usual chick lit. This is a modern family saga with plenty of drama.

Dora is a career woman with a great boyfriend. She’s just discovered she’s pregnant – sounds perfect, eh? But this is just the beginning: Dora’s not sure she wants the baby but she’s finding it difficult to explain why she’s so conflicted. What unfolds is a drama
Shannon
Look at that cover. Looks kinda chit-litty and dare I say it, crap, doesn't it? Well you know what they say, don't judge a book by it's cover because this was really quite an amazing piece of storytelling. A little rough in places due to my copy being an unedited manuscript but even then a brilliant read.

The book opens with one girl throwing herself off a bridge and the next chapter introduces our leading lady Dora, who is pregnant and dealing with some pretty big family issues. What kind of iss
Tracy Harper

Excuse the pun but I was rather swept away by this novel. The book flips between Dora's childhood and the present day which is very effective. Also the use of different narrators also works well in that you are left unsure as to what has become of Dora's family members. At one point, they are all 'missing' in some sense with the exception of Dora and her mother and you want to know what has become of them. I was completely engrossed and cared about each of the characters. Raised some interesting
Kate Forsyth

Secrets of the Tides is a suspenseful page-turner of a family drama, taking place mainly in Cornwall and London, and moving back and forth between the past and the present. It begins with a girl jumping off a bridge into the Thames. We do not know who she is or why she is jumped, or even if she lives or dies. Slowly the answers to these mysteries are revealed, some of them very surprising. I absolutely loved it, and look forward to more from this debut author.
Shirley Schwartz
What an awesome book! Maybe it was the right time for me to read this book or maybe it just got me when I was vulnerable, but I loved it! The story is about a family with many secrets and many sorrows, and how they all eventually managed to overcome all this and live their lives. An incident occurs in the book that forever changes everyone in this family of five. This incident touches each of them in a different way and sparks different reactions in each of them. It also tears apart this family ...more
Gamze
3,5-4

Helen ve Richard daha birkaç aydır birbirlerini tanıyan bir çifttir. Ve birgün Helen hamile olduğunu öğrenir. Richard bu konularda eski kafa bir insan olarak, Helen ile hemen evlenmek ister. Ve Helen, Clifftops ile böyle tanışır.

Bu ev kitaptaki tüm karakterlerin miladı. Kimisine iyi bir hayat sunarken, kimisi için boğucu bir hapishaneye dönüşmüştür.

Cassie ve Dora, kızlarıdır. Richard'ın ailesi araba kazası ile hayatını kaybedince Londra'dan buraya t
Shaz Goodwin
Before our journey with Dora begins, the prologue intrigues the reader. We know someone is in enough pain they want to gain the ultimate freedom but we don’t know who it is or when it is. I had the prologue in the back of my mind so when the ‘clue’ comes I was able to place the character although we are still left waiting to find out the reason.

***

We begin with Dora in the present day and how she feels about being pregnant. We know her panic is related to her family. She feels she doesn’t deserv
Lthelibrarylover
This is the type of book that I LOVE! It looks goes between the past and present in a way that adds mystery, yet isn't too confusing. It also adds another layer of meaning and depth to the story to have two sets of events in the reader's mind at the one time. It shows how the past can influence the present and how history often repeats itself within a family unit.

Mother Helen, father Richard and daughters Cassie and Dora move into the family estate after a death in the family. Helen does not fe
Kathryn Laceby
Originally reviewed at Novel Escapes

The cover of this novel doesn’t even hint at the strong dramatic story within the pages! I picked Secrets of the Tides up on whim on my last visit to the UK and am so pleased that I did.

We begin with a young woman taking a solitary train journey to London and then throwing herself into the river so for the first half you’re trying to determine who this woman is and how it ties into the story. While you’re busy trying to work that part out you’re slowly exposed
Jenny
I read half this book in one sitting, it just had a great inertia to it and I was immediately pulled into the Tide family story. I hadn't expected (view spoiler) and I kept reading, hoping it would all turn out okay. Unfortunately, life doesn't happen that way and it wasn't a story about (view spoiler), but it was about family and grief and staying close to your family despite tragedy. I ...more
Tracy Terry
A family saga all about demons, the sort of demons that haunt the Tide family as they struggle with the events of that one tragic day all those years ago, the sort of demons so horrendous that surely they are best kept a secret lest they totally tear apart a family already plagued with guilt.

Jumping back and forth between the past and the present day, the story unfolds as bit by bit the secrets of 'that day' and the part mother, Helen, and daughters, Cassie and Dora, had to play are revealed.

A d
Sallyann Van leeuwen
Should really be called The Guilt of the Tides. I didn't really connect with any of the characters nor did anything much happen. Bit depressing all round. I finished hoping that something great would happen, ie: the 'gripping climax' and have finished the book, still wondering what that climax was. Maybe i missed it? Nothing new here.
Kristal Kitap
Kitabın yorumu için şurayaaa

Ön Okuması içinde şuraya tık atabilirsiniz. :)
Donna Irwin
First R & J of the new season. Thoroughly enjoyed this sad tale of a family torn apart by a tragic event and how after years of torment the various family members reach a degree of acceptance. Fely great sympathy with the main players, the author has conveyed their feelings so well.
Emily
Brillant Brillant Brillant! So refreshing to read such a beautifully written book. I could not put it down. If you only read one book this year this is the one! Absolutely amazing!! Look forward to more!
Vera Neves

4,5 estrelas!!!
Muito bom ;)
Linda Bridges
The Tide family seems to have an idyllic in their lovely home near the sea. The father and husband, Richard, is a successful businessman who is living out a dream of being in the house in which he was raised. His daughters, Cassie and Dora, love being in the house, having the cliffs to wander, and they have a normal up-bringing with friends and school. The wife and mother, Helen, is the one who can't stand living there. She was never accepted by Richard's parents and hates living in their home ...more
Catriona Forbes
Another 'read in 2 days' for me. Each time I put the book down my mind would wander considering where the story would go next and what the next flash back would reveal.

Admittedly I felt some of the present day chapters were so full of the past they may as well have been a chapter detailing the past and the ending felt too rushed. It seemed forgiveness came far too easily to ensure it could all be wrapped up nicely.

The story had me hooked and was emotionally charged, pushing me to just read 'one
2015 Reading Chal...: Secrets of the Tides by Hannah Richell 1 7 Mar 08, 2015 07:38PM
  • The Book of Summers
  • Next of Kin
  • Bridie's Choice
  • Everything and Nothing
  • Swimming at Night
Hannah Richell was born in Kent, England and spent her childhood years in Buckinghamshire and Canada. After graduating from the University of Nottingham in 1998 she worked in book publishing and film. She now lives in Sydney with her husband, their two young children and a black-and-white cat called Lennie and returns to the UK as often as possible to spend time with family and savour the green gr ...more
More about Hannah Richell...
The Shadow Year The Peacock Room