Start by marking “Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Day” as Want to Read:
Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Day

Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Day

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  19 reviews
From the bestselling authors of the ground-breaking Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day comes a much-anticipated new cookbook featuring their revolutionary approach to yeast dough in over 100 easy pizza and flatbread recipes.

With nearly half a million copies of their books in print, Jeff Hertzberg and Zoë François have proven that people want to bake their own bread—as lon
Published October 25th 2011 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Day

Do I read cookbooks like novels? Why yes, yes I do, and they often make mighty good reads. I read Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day like a novel and was then inspired to make lots of loaves of fabulous bread. After I proceeded to eat all those loaves of fabulous bread, generally with lots of fabulous butter, I realized that the book was probably not the best book that had even been introduced to my dietary habits, and it was due back at the library anyway and the long queue of other folks inte ...more
Artisan Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Day follows the highly popular Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. The authors have turned their focus to pizza, making it not only easy for every home cook to obtain the best possible results, but also making it such a quick and painless process that you will be tempted to eat pizza everyday! It has the same format as their previous books with first a master recipe, then many interesting variations. Heavy on detailed instructions, there are just a ...more
Last night, I made my first artisan pizza. I chose my own toppings - artichokes, black olives, fresh mushrooms, basil leaves, and fresh mozzarella. Overall, it turned out quite well. Steph thought it tasted fairly authentic (though she may have just been saying that to be kind :) ) I've never tasted true Italian pizza so I have no baseline on determining authenticity.

When paging through the book, I saw that there weren't really many options for a tomato based sauce. It had a white sauce, bologn
Flatbreads are my favorite use of the five-minutes-a-day, no-knead method. The pizza crust and pita I've made from this have been just as good or better than the more fancy-pants knead-y recipes, and are falling-off-a-log easy as long as you know your way around a rolling pin. (I do find that the dough is pretty stretch-able, but that leaves the outer edge thicker...which is fine for pizza and less good for pita).
Since I checked out The New Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day book at the library, I decided to check out the flatbread book, too. I seriously can't wait to try the Margherita Pizza (on cover). It looks delicious! I wrote down flatbreads, pizza dough, flour and corn tortilla dough, tomato sauces, bbq sauces, white sauces and other different recipes like homemade granola, coleslaw and vanilla pastry cream. This book is loaded with recipes! After all that writing, I should have just purchased the b ...more
Love the idea. Love the multipurpose usage of the dough. Will keep some of it as a long term reference.
I've tried a few recipes, but mostly have made pizza with good results. I like the idea of keeping unused dough in the frig until needed. The main problem for me is letting the refrigerated dough rest enough so I can roll/stretch it out without it shrinking back. If I continue with this method I will need to get a baking stone. If you are interested, I suggest starting with Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day because it also has pizza and other flat bread recipes. Here's a link to the authors' w ...more
This is a book I would use weekly. Not only does it have easy pizza dough recipes that make it possible to bake delicious pizzas whenever you want, but the same basic recipe can be used to make pita bread and flatbread. It's fabulous. I feel this book is much stronger than the authors' first book about five minute bread, and much more useful.
Martha Smith
This book had 3 dairy-free,egg-free, gluten-free, wheat-free and yeast-free pizza crust recipes. All of their recipes have been tested and work great. I also really liked their last book Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day.
This very attractive book contains lots of information that will help a cook to discover the art of pizza at home. It contains a wide variety of recipes for pizza and foccacia, and will certainly inspire many imaginations.
I've made many pizzas over the years with a number of dough recipes but this was insanely sticky and difficult to work with. Will NOT be using it again, so glad it's a library book because it's going back tomorrow!
The errors are fatal to recipes. Every time one fails, I go to the website and find another correction. Ugh. So, now I just stick with the bread recipes from the original book and look to this one fir new topping ideas.
Ken Fisher
Couldn't find great pizza in my new area and decided to go it alone! Now, every time I make pizza, it gets better and better. I will never go back to store bought or local pizza. I read this book, and I'm on my way!
Serge Pierro
A little disappointing, considering how amazing their Artisan Bread book is - nothing overly amazing to see here. But, worth reading if you don't own the Artisan Bread book.
I am so into this way of making bread and now PIZZA CRUST. Tomatoes, pesto, olive oil, walnuts, homemade PIZZA CRUST? A triumph. Srsly.
Dawn Mielke
This cookbook has some great recipes. I made one of the pizza doughs, the roti and the brioche!! They all turned out wonderful.
Very enjoyable reading about the dough making process, but I wasn't inspired enough to try any of the recipes.
looks as good as their other books! Haven't tried any recipes yet but looking forward to it.
Julie Bowman
Interesting recipes. The "5 minutes" is definitely an exaggeration. More involved.
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Gaiasera63gmail.Com marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
marcia l grinder
marcia l grinder is currently reading it
Oct 31, 2015
Lynn marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Marwa marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
  • Flatbreads & Flavors
  • Local Breads: Sourdough and Whole-Grain Recipes from Europe's Best Artisan Bakers
  • American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza
  • Ancient Grains for Modern Meals: Mediterranean Whole Grain Recipes for Barley, Farro, Kamut, Polenta, Wheat Berries & More
  • Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving
  • The Best Light Recipe
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • Quick & Easy Chinese: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • Cook without a Book: Meatless Meals: Recipes and Techniques for Part-Time and Full-Time Vegetarians
  • Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking
  • The Cornbread Gospels
Jeff Hertzberg is a physician with 20 years of experience in health care as a practitioner, consultant, & faculty member at the University of Minnesota Medical School. His interests in baking & preventive health sparked a quest to apply the techniques of Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day to healthier ingredients. He lives in Minneapolis with his wife & two daughters.

--from the author
More about Jeff Hertzberg...