Start by marking “The Herb Book: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to More Than 500 Herbs” as Want to Read:
The Herb Book: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to More Than 500 Herbs

The Herb Book: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to More Than 500 Herbs

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  353 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The complete and authoritative guide to more than 500 herbs.
The most complete reference catalog of nature's herbs ever published.
Published January 1st 1974 by Benedict Lust Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Herb Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Herb Book

The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook by James  GreenMaking Plant Medicine by Richard A. CechHealing Wise by Susun S. WeedRosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health by Rosemary GladstarA Modern Herbal by Margaret Grieve
Best Herbalism Books
12th out of 72 books — 32 voters
Earl Mindell's New Vitamin Bible by Earl MindellThe Miracle of MSM by Stanley W. JacobRheumatoid Arthritis Pain Relief by Wendy   OwenGetting Well by Herbert M. SheltonGarlic by Stephen Fulder
43rd out of 56 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

This is an amazing book that I am glad to add to my collection. I have always been interested in botany, gardening and the different uses of plants and herbs and this book is full of over 2,000. It begins with lists of herbs that can be used for different situations (i.e. upset stomach, trouble sleeping), then continues on to specifics on individual herbs, including recipes/preparations for the use of each. There are some beautifully done hand-drawn pictures included throughout as well. A very i ...more
Alicia Tracy
I will never stop reading this book. John Lust opens with chapters on the shared histories of plants and humans, Botanical language and meanings, Wild crafting practice and ethic, growing your own herbs, purchasing, drying and storing herbs, basic guidelines to most traditional herbal preparations, a Glossary of Medicinal Effects and the Herbs that Produce Them, a condensed list of various human conditions and name lists of plants to treat them (with page number plant can be found in the book).

Laura Hartmark
Most books on herbal healing wander and focus on what the author or editor pleases. This book is organized like a dictionary. It is a true reference. If you ever wondered what any herb really does, what other names it has, or how it has ever been used - then this is the book for you. At one point I saw that it was out of print. That would be a terrible oversight. It is *the* herb book.
Given To Me For An Honest Review

John Lust's book The Herb Book: The Most Complete Catalog of Herbs Ever Published is a very good one to add to your book collection. It is a great reference book. You can look up herbs by their common name, their scientific name and what ailments you want to treat. I also helps you to identify herbs. This book also tells you how to use herbs but it does not tell you how to grow them. I recommend this book. I look forward to more from John Lust.
Penny Bradford
I couldn't say more, to sum up what you get, without repeating the complete title itself. If you want to learn about "everything" herbs, this is it! Descriptions (drawings are included to help identify) of plants, medicinal remedies with recipes. Expertly indexed!
Adam White
Great reference book. with nice clear illustrations which help when out wild gathering. Formated like a dictionary, and as someone who enjoys herbal teas - this book was a wee gem - also very helpful for cooking as well.
Jennifer Hansard breunig
Essential reference book for the herbal remedy library
Rhonda Keith
I'm not an herbalist, but I've tried a few of the herbal remedies listed in this book. It's a good, thorough reference, and it has the best indexing of any book I've ever seen: the herbs are alphabetical, but there are indexes for types of illnesses, types of remedies, and more, making it easy to find something when you don't know much of anything. It even lists remedies for boredom.
The book was spectacular! In terms of information, that is.

The contents were almost herbs from America and Europe (though cultivated) but I there were only a few herbs in the list that are naturally here in the Philippines, so I kinda doubt that it could be very handy for me. But at the last pages, it contained etymology of the herbs. I like mythology, so it hit the spot for me.
This book has just about everything you need to know about herbs, it's easy to find your specific ailment and it then lists over 20 herbs that heal for each. It teaches you how to use the herbs in everyday cooking, as well as recipes for teas and how to make tinctures.
Feb 29, 2008 Becky rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who is interested in herbal remedies.
Recommended to Becky by: Found it in a used bookstore.
This book, for me, became the most sacred book in my herb collection. The information given, while concise, was complete and organized well so you can navigate through the book easily. Alas, I left my last copy in NY and don't know where to find another.
The herb book is the best all natural medicine book I've ever come across. I carry it with me everywhere. Any kind of herbal mixture I've made out of the book has always worked wonders. Definitely a must have for any person who prefers holistic health
This is one of the classics of herbal medicine. My copy is filled with highlighter underlines. A must for anyone who is serious about learning the medicinal properties of herbs, plants, flowers, vegetables, and fruits.
Kathleen O'Mara
May 21, 2008 Kathleen O'Mara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: herbal people
Recommended to Kathleen by: Shatoya Jones
This is one of my favorites. I use it regularly for reference. I highly recommend this book for any herbalist's shelf and for those that only dabble.
The best book on herbal usage bar none. I am on my fourth copy, I keep lending it out and it never finds it's way back. . .
This book is chock full of valuable information. I will keep this one with in arms reach for reference.
This book has been my first resource for herb uses, remedies and mixtures for nearly 20 years.
"My" herb book.
mine's tattered and in shreds.
much loved.
only wish it had better pictures !
One of my most useful books. Great information on many herbs, well organized.
zaK young
my mama had this book and i used to read it for hours.
Laura Doyle
Great reference book, easy to find information.
A wonderful, comprehensive guide to herbs.
Isia Van
Mar 06, 2009 Cws added it
635.7 Lus
Bonface Osoro
Bonface Osoro marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Kate Balcombe
Kate Balcombe marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Kathy Carson
Kathy Carson marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Marcia Montague
Marcia Montague marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
  • Culpeper's Complete Herbal
  • A Modern Herbal, Vol. I
  • The Green Pharmacy
  • The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care, and Relaxation
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • Herbs and Things: A Compendium of Practical and Exotic Lore
  • Sacred Plant Medicine: The Wisdom in Native American Herbalism
  • Bud, Blossom, & Leaf: The Magical Herb Gardener's Handbook
  • Garden Witch's Herbal: Green Magick, Herbalism & Spirituality
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family
  • Back To Eden
Greek English Lexicon Of The Septuagint Drink Your Troubles Away The Natural Remedy Bible Raw Juice Therapy Lust for Living: Grow Younger, Healthier and Happier