Start by marking “Widening The Circle Of Love” as Want to Read:
Widening The Circle Of Love

Widening The Circle Of Love

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  482 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
'Widening the Circle of Love' is a clear and practical guide on how to develop a deep understanding of love in all its forms, restructuring relationships, dealing with counter-productive emotions, moving towards a state of world enlightenment.
Published January 1st 2005 by Rider

To ask other readers questions about Widening The Circle Of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Widening The Circle Of Love

Lyn
Jul 01, 2015 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book, beautifully written.

I have read Buddhist texts before and I am always amazed at the accessibility of universal truths and the similarities of lessons between faiths. The desire to be happy and to avoid suffering, and the frequent inability to do either, is contemplated in temples and churches alike.

description
Jean
Dalai Lamas began as a lineage of spiritual teachers. The name is a combination of the Mongolic word for ocean dalai and the Tibetan word bla-ma meaning "guru", as in teacher or mentor.
The current holder of the title is the 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, who is a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Born to a peasant family, he was recognised at the age of two, as the reincarnation of his predecessor the 13th Dalai Lama. This was in accordance with Tibetan tradition. He underwent intensive educatio
Amible Gal
Jul 28, 2008 Amible Gal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Dalai Lama has an interesting point in this book regarding equanimity. -- Look at everyone in this world: friends, foes, family as if they were your mother or nurturer. It's interesting to think that we are only friends with someone, because they offer us something. However, what about those who we feel offer us nothing; or worse, ruin our lives? The Dalai Lama suggests that no one or nothing can ruin our lives, because it's all a learning experience on our way to Enlightment. This book is w ...more
Adam K.
I'm a Christian, not a Buddhist, so I really just took what I could use from this book, which is actually a great deal. Many Christians seem to be concerned with scaring sinners into salvation with hellfire and brimstone (have we learned nothing over the past 500 years?). The Dalai Lama's meditations, if adapted so as not to focus so much on reincarnation, past lifetimes, future lifetimes, etc., could really help Christians become more compassionate. I was struck by how these meditations get you ...more
Katilyn
Oct 24, 2014 Katilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, audio
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become." -- Buddha

My hope is that listening to this has put my mind on the path toward more compassionate actions.
Greg
Mar 18, 2015 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“When I speak about love and compassion, I do so not as a Buddhist, nor as a Tibetan, nor as the Dalai Lama. I do so as one human being speaking with another. I hope that you at this moment will think of yourself as a human being rather than as an American, Asian, European, African, or member of any particular country. These loyalties are secondary. If you and I find common ground as human beings, we will communicate on a basic level.” This begins this book by the Dalai Lama on the subjects of c ...more
Carrie
Jun 09, 2012 Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I needed this. Reminds me that everyone wants happiness and wants to avoid suffering. We should focus on helping others achieve happiness and avoid suffering. We can help people in the simplest ways. One good idea is to just listen.
Juan
Feb 24, 2014 Juan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was very informative on the methods of being attentive to one's own consciousness. Often times as human beings we feel that we are doing what we think is right is not accurate but can be perceived as right to others. I thought this book was very informative in creating a strong will for reinforcing compassion and love for many individuals. The Dalai Lama mentions methods for creating or identifying a pure mind with a number of meditations, and how and when to use them effecti ...more
Lisa
Aug 16, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I read over and over. It puts things in perspective. We make things much more complicated then they need to be. He simplifies things and helps you see past anger, greed and sadness. I love reading his work.
Lacey Louwagie
Jan 22, 2011 Lacey Louwagie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, religion
What can I say? I can't really dis the Dalai Lama.

I was actually expecting this book to be really boring because the reader is pretty monotone, but it was actually a pretty "quick read." It was repetitive in places, but that doesn't really bother me with a book like this because the concepts take a lot of reinforcing to remember/practice. Basically, it's a book of meditations for expanding the love and compassion you feel for your closest friends to all human beings. I know you're actually suppo
Tamara Eaker
Jun 24, 2014 Tamara Eaker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I've read this book numerous times through, and each time I find a new hidden truth in it. The translation was well written and every sentence acts as a doorway into the human condition. The Dalai Lama is truly the worlds most inspiring guru of love, compassion, and kindness. I have added this book to me personal collection, and hope to expand my collection of his writing. I would recommend this book to anyone, and am blessed to own a copy that I can share with many others.
Vishnu
Jan 17, 2016 Vishnu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: moc-writers, buddhism
Short, to-the-point book that provides both the essential theory and helpful practices for developing lovingkindness and compassion. I enjoyed how the Dalai Lama presented these teachings. Even though I can't say i completely resonate with the deep beliefs about reincarnation, I really connected with his authentic presentation of Buddhist teachings. Of course, one could phrase the teachings in a way that is more palatable to non-Buddhists, and that also may be helpful for understanding the teach ...more
Shelley
The Art of Happiness, as explained repeatedly in this book, is as follows: Have happiness for yourself, then extend that to those closest to you, then to acquaintances, then to those you do not like, and then to all sentient beings. No matter what type of happiness you desire, it all boiled down to this.
Volkert
While there was some good teaching on expanding love, something we all need to do, I had to abandon this book because his teaching is too closely aligned with reincarnation, which is something I don't subscribe to.
Mark
Dec 31, 2014 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tried Dalai, really I did, but I just can't accept some of your premises, so it's hard to practice some of this.
Gonzalo
Siete maravillosos pasos a seguir. Lo recomiendo desde lo mas profundo de mi corazon.
Diego Sierra
Apr 28, 2014 Diego Sierra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring and tough to follow.
Marie
Feb 15, 2016 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everybody should buy or borrow this book and read it. Important to think about, at least for a minute, how we treat other people. And also how we forget to look around and pay attention to what's going on around us.
Steffi De la montagne
The things I liked about this book is that it has lots of meditations and exercises. It's quite practical. I got it at the library but I will purchase it myself.
Heather
Maybe not the best place to start for reading Buddhism.
Emorgan05
I'm not really finished, but I've moved to other things.
Z
Jan 06, 2013 Z rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Covers a lot of the things that the Dalai Lama discusses in How to Become Enlightened, and expands on how to develop compassion and a desire to help all sentient beings. The meditation on a mother's love and caring is truly beautiful, and worth reading even for those who have no interest at all in Buddhism...
Sep 19, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life-changing
Although I do not practice Buddhism, I was drawn to the Dalai Lama's simple explination of the purposes of love and how they effect our day to day life and relationships. It helped me to understand aspects of my own faith better, and helped me to see the 'world' and the people in it in a different light.
Josh M
Jul 14, 2009 Josh M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its a little short...but good enough to read twice. It holds some valuable insight into human nature, our desire to feel love and be connected with others, and the different types of love.

It made me see things in a different light, and reaffirmed some of my own beliefs in love. I loved it!
Jami
Mar 24, 2012 Jami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fantastic as always. Since trying to find my way back onto the path as a Buddhist this book was just what I needed to really open my eyes to many things that I had been hiding from myself. You really can't go wrong with any of these books, but I found this one esp. meaningful for me as of late. :)
Theresa
Mar 27, 2008 Theresa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
what kind of person gives the dalai lama 2 stars?
um... i do. i usually enjoy his talks and his writing a lot, but i guess i was looking for something else in this book. he mostly talked about anger and turning it around. what if you're not angry? read another book.
Hali
Mar 23, 2009 Hali rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good book & it did have some useful meditations. I thought the reincarnation meditations were a little bit of a stretch for me, but it was interesting to imagine. The Dalai Lama had some excellent points on enemies (practicing patience).
Dawna
Jul 25, 2012 Dawna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Dalai Lama's philosophy is simply wonderful. He seems so simplistic, yet he is also speaking simplistically because most of us are not nearly so wise. I become reminded of how adults speak to children and see what he is doing to help us all along. :)
Candice
I really like the Dalai Lama's writing but this book was very repetitive and a lot about meditations. I guess I was looking for something else. I liked the basic general message, even though I don't practice Buddism. In all, I thought it was okay.
  • In Buddha's Kitchen : Cooking, Being Cooked, and Other Adventures at a Meditation Center
  • A Buddhist Bible
  • Insight Meditation: A Step-by-step Course on How to Meditate
  • Creating True Peace: Ending Violence in Yourself, Your Family, Your Community, and the World
  • Buddhism for Beginners
  • Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living
  • Universal Compassion: Transforming Your Life Through Love and Compassion
  • Walking Meditation [With CD and DVD]
  • The Jewel Tree of Tibet: The Enlightenment Engine of Tibetan Buddhism
  • Buddhism Is Not What You Think: Finding Freedom Beyond Beliefs
  • Zen and the Art of Falling in Love
  • The Way of the White Clouds
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • Buddhism for Dummies
  • Buddhism: A Concise Introduction
  • The Spirit of Zen
  • Yoga Body, Buddha Mind
  • Contemplative Science: Where Buddhism and Neuroscience Converge
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the
More about Dalai Lama XIV...

“When I speak about love and compassion, I do so not as a Buddhist, nor as a Tibetan, nor as the Dalai Lama. I do so as one human being speaking with another. I hope that you at this moment will think of yourself as a human being rather than as an American, Asian, European, African, or member of any particular country. These loyalties are secondary. If you and I find common ground as human beings, we will communicate on a basic level.” 1 likes
“Water may be extremely dirty, yet its nature remains clear.” 1 likes