The Colombian Mule

The Colombian Mule (L'alligatore #4)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  17 reviews
When Colombian Arias Cuevas is caught trying to smuggle drugs through Venice airport, his fear isn't fuelled by the idea of prison. He's much more frightened of his aunt—it was her coke he took off with. The cops set up a sting to find out who was to be the recipient of the drugs, and art smuggler Nazzareno Corradi falls straight into the trap. But he's been set up. His la...more
Published July 1st 2004 by Orion Publishing (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Colombian Mule, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Colombian Mule

Zuberino
A huge disappointment. I don't know if it's mainly the translator's fault or if all of Carlotto's books are this bad. Heaven knows, he came highly rated as one of the founders of 'Mediterranean noir', alongside Jean-Claude Izzo. I've read Izzo - A Sun for the Dying was one of my discoveries of 2013. But, on the evidence of The Colombian Mule, Carlotto isn't worthy of tying Izzo's shoelaces. And yet, he's been published by Europa - this one as well as seven other titles!

All the faults of the gen...more
Charles
This book was a big disappointment. After loving At aThe End of a Dull Day I expected much more. This book was clunky and awkward. The tropes were well worn ruts in that old mystery bypass of the detective/recovery specialist. I think the butler in this case is the translator, one Christopher Wodall. He did it.
Maddy
RATING: 4.25

He's an unlikely private detective. Formerly a blues singer, "Alligator" could easily be mistaken for one of the criminals that he is pursuing. He's in partnership with two other guys, Rossini and Max the Memory, who have rather dubious pasts themselves. But what is not in doubt is that they have the street smarts and skills to do whatever job needs to be done.

Guillermo Arias Cuevas has made a big mistake. He's stolen 800 grams of cocaine from his aunt, "La Tia", and smuggled it from...more
Karen
At this time of the year for some reason, goodness knows what, I crave dark, violent, humorous escapism. I crave pulp, noir, hardboiled, I'll even happily take nasty. THE COLOMBIAN MULE delivered exactly what I was looking for.

It doesn't hurt that this isn't a police procedural, a stereotypical lone wolf private detective or any of the expected scenarios as well. Instead we do have a PI, who works with a group of old friends, to solve problems. In this case, the problem is why one man seems to h...more
Equipaje

Quarto Alligatore, e questa volta la narrazione prevale sull'inchiesta. Inchiesta anzi che quasi non c'è: qualche aggiornamento in tema di spaccio nel Nordest post mala del Brenta, qualche generica denuncia e poco altro. Quanto alla figura della narco colombiana, ignoro se abbia un riferimento reale.

Prevalentemente narrazione, dunque. Che gira intorno a un unico improbabile Kg di coca: un po' poco per giustificare Tia, GOA, spioni-infiltrati e svariati personaggi minori (bidelle, marescialli, ch...more
Rosalind Mitchell
This is an interesting twist on the usual crime formula. Our intrepid investigators Alligator, Rossini and Fat Max are themselves ex-cons with a strong sense of honour amongst thieves who devote themselves to infiltrating organised crime syndicates to ensure justice for those used as expendable pawns in their game. There's nothing sentimental about them though, they think nothing of employing the tools of the gangster - blackmail, extortion and assassination - in pursuit of their goals.

In this t...more
Rosalind

In this t...more
Ed Mckeon
I read the English translation of this short (approx 170 pp) book, and struggled to finish it. Something must be lost in the translation. Characters (too many cram the pages of this short crime novel) I don't care about solving a "crime" that will allow a murder to go free after being framed for a drub smuggling crime he didn't commit.
Massimo Foglio
Ormai con Carlotto vado sul sicuro. In questo particolare episodio della saga dell'Alligatore, però, la marcia in più é rappresentata dal legame con una storia vera,come spiega lo stesso autore nella nota finale, e che mette in tutt'altra prospettiva il tema, fortemente richiamato in tutto ilracconto, delle "regole non scritte del malavitoso", una sorta di codice d'onore per il quale piuttosto si marcisce in carcere, ma non ci si taccia d'infamia.
Johnny
Solid crime novel and a European crime book that isn't a police procedural. In fact it's an Italian spin on classic pulp hardboiled stuff.

The hero like the writer is an ex-convict, and he captures both the fears and paranoia that surround a life after incarceration.

Fun and original characters and a pace that wastes no time. There is no fat on this book, and that is part of the pleasure of the read.
Dave Riley
Enriched by a certain street wise noir and interesting because it generates it from an Northern Italian POV. But it's Raymond Chandler approach to life, love and mateship is a touch archaic I think. The connection the plot has to Italian Mafiosa makes it a touch exotic nonetheless and despite Carlotto background as a political dissident, there's very little politics here except as ambiance.
Stephen
Columbian cocaine makers and Italian dealers, reformed bad guys, corrupt cops all working within the system or working outside the system in Massimmo Carlotto exciting adventure. Fast paced , almost too fast paced that you lose tract of who is who and who you are cheering for.
Sort of a fun read but not my usual .
Kathy
This insipid imitation of Raymond Chandler has a lame plot and cardboard characters. I wish I thought that the writer was making a joke about Italian criminals mimicking American gangsters, but unfortunately I don't think anything so subtle as that is going on here.
incipit mania
Aug 07, 2013 incipit mania marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: carlotto-m
Incipit

Il corriere colombiano si sentì fottuto quando incontrò lo sguardo del poliziotto ...

Jessie
It's an easy read. It has a solid story line but it's just a little bland.
Sohini
Quick, enjoyable action/thriller.
Nikmaack
Nikmaack is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2014
MB Taylor
MB Taylor marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Massimo Carlotto è nato a Padova il 22 luglio 1956. Nel 1976, giovane universitario e militante di L.C., scopre casualmente a Padova il cadavere senza vita di Margherita Magello, colpita da 59 coltellate, e viene accusato dalla polizia dell’omicidio dopo essersi recato volontariamente a testimoniare.
More about Massimo Carlotto...
Il fuggiasco The Goodbye Kiss La verità dell'alligatore Le irregolari: Buenos Aires Horror Tour Il mistero di Mangiabarche