The Art of Happiness at Work

The Art of Happiness at Work

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,124 ratings  ·  78 reviews
From the authors who brought you the million-copy bestseller The Art of Happiness comes an exploration of job, career, and finding the ultimate happiness at work.

It spent nearly two years on the New York Times bestseller list and has sold well over a million copies in hardcover. It remains, five years later, in its original hardcover edition. It was the book by the Dalai...more
Published September 7th 2004 by Riverhead Trade (first published 2003)

Laura Lynch
This book was inspiring, so much so that I read it twice. The comments of the Dalai Lama on happiness at work are relevant and based on common sense and spirituality. One idea is that you have freedom to choose how you approach your career and your co-workers, although other aspects may be beyond your control.. Attitude and balance are also key along with finding your purpose at work. It can be as simple as smiling at people and offering encouragement. Lastly, look at problems both job and life...more
Jill
Quotes to remember:

“He reminds us that if we can change some of the external conditions at the workplace that contribute to our dissatisfaction, we certainly should. If not, although it is not always easy or quick, it is still possible to be happy at work through reshaping our attitudes and outlook, through inner training.”

Look at a tense situation as a way to improve yourself. Stay calm and react with dignity.

“Our attitudes about money are more important than the amount we make. As always, in...more
Sophie
So, I wanted to read a book by the Dalai Lama. I don't even know why I picked it; there are quite a few at our store and I think I just liked the introduction. In any case, this was the first book by the Dalai Lama I read (or maybe I should say "read and finished", because I remember borrowing some of books from our local library when I was still at school, but I never was able to finish them because I found them rather difficult to read).

Technically (and factually) saying that this book is "by...more
Bayartsetseg Bela
Хүн өөрийн дуртай зүйлээ хийж, тэрнээсээ аз жаргал авч амьдрах нь хамгийн сайхан, хүний хүсч тэмүүлэх ёстой зүйл юм гэдгийг энэ номонд өгүүлсэн. Далай ламтай хийсэн ярилцлагаар энгийн хэрнээ, харилцан ярианы хэлбэрээр бичсэн бөгөөд ойлгоход хэцүү, хүнд хэллэг огт байхгүй. Хүн ямар ч ажил хийгээд мөнгөтэй, нэр хүндтэй болж болно. Гагцхүү тэр хийж байгаа зүйл нь өөрийнхөө бүх сэтгэл зүрхээ зориулан дурласан ажил мөн үү үгүй юу гэдгээс их зүйл хамаарна. Миний бодож явдаг, бусадтай зөрчилддөг байсан...more
Laurie
This helped me to deal with a situation at work of being bullied by a co-worker. I also shared some of the principals with middle and high school students I work with, specifically the concept of working for the money vs. career aspirations/fame vs. a calling; that one must follow a calling to be truly happy and can combined with the other factors but not excluded.
Rebecca
Mar 21, 2010 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in Buddhist thought, those who are dissatisfied with their work
The book took me quite a while to get through. Part of it was my own distraction with other books, but another part was the fact I didn't find this book quite as enlightening and enthralling as plain old Art of Happiness was. That book I could barely put down. If I did it was to ponder what I'd just read and let it sink in. I could genuinely relate to the material and found the compiling of the meetings to be very well done.

Art of Happiness at Work didn't have quite the same punch for me. Part o...more
Christopher Sears
The Art of Happiness at Work comes from a series of conversations between the author and the Dalai Lama. I am aware that the Dalai Lama shares credit for the book, but the format of the book makes it clear that the Dalai Lama did not do much writing of the book. However, I don't blame the Howard Cutler or the Dalai Lama for this misrepresentation.

I found that the format of the book worked well for its intent. Cutler includes his own dialog with the Dalai Lama's which gives the book an intimate f...more
Jason
After much success with his first book in collaboration with the Dalai Lama, The Art of Happiness, Howard Cutler decided to write another book. In this book Cutler wanted to explore some ideas and topics not touched upon in the first one. Namely, since work takes up an overwhelming amount of the day for most people, how can we find happiness at work? After all, most of us cannot sit around all day in a cave without venturing out into the real world. If we have no practical way to take our spirit...more
Patricia BookExhibitionism
I finished this a few hours ago and wrote down my first thoughts. I was reluctant to criticise Cutler because I felt any criticism would be too close to projection. But I reflected on that and realised that however true that may be, I think it's important to mention why this title isn't on the list of books I'd recommend to people interested in the thoughts of the Dalai Lama, or in finding a way to be happy at work with his help.

Before I start this, I want to say that I'm sure this book can be h...more
Amanda
This seemed like the perfect book to pick up and read. I have deep respect for The Dalai Lama and I really needed some advice on how to be happier at work.

I used to really love my job. It was exciting, for the most part, and every day usually held something new and challenging in store. Nowadays, it's not like that. There's a distinct vibe of us vs. them in most cases, IT vs. Accountants. Some of the financial folk chose to think that anyone can program so they'll just take care of what they wan...more
SuZanne
I found this book in the library at Villa Sumaya on Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. I was only there eight days and reading a few others books as well, so I never finished this book. It is a book that, for me, needs to be read a little at a time and reflected or meditated upon; hence, my failure to finish it before I had to return it to the book shelf and continue my journey through Guatemala. It is a worthy read. Perhaps, if I had finished it I would give it a five star versus only four.
Nina
all the dalai lama books are quick, cheap therapy for when you're feeling depressed and sad. i flew through this book when i was unsure about work and my career and the path i wanted to pursue. it immediately put things in perspective and i found myself feeling better about things so i stopped reading it. ha.

the things he says are obvious and rational. we (westerns, first world countries) put too much emphasis on what we do for a living and how it need not be where we derive our happiness from....more
Kevin
Mostly fluff. Maybe it was the format of the book that didn't do it for me. The entire book is a series of conversations that the author has with the Dalai Lama on the topic of work. This style gave it a bit of an unprofessional feel. Most of the dialog was not relevant or useful, hence fluff. Too much time was spent trying to explain modern work office problems to someone that has not worked in an office.

While I have not yet read the original, Art of Happiness, I can imagine what it covers base...more
Stephanie
I enjoyed this! It's really edited interviews with the Dalai Lama on work and happiness and his basic advice is that your attitude about work matters most. There are some great anecdotes where the Dalai Lama is confused about western work culture, and also how the only alternative career he can think of for himself is to be a hermit.
Janelle
The narrative takes the form of a discussion between Cutler and the Dalai Lama on the nature of finding satisfaction in one's occupation. The content is great and provoked a lot of thought for myself; I also found that my attitude toward work was greatly improved on the days that I listened to this on my way there and back. A lot of their postulations came down to that: simply adjusting your individual expectations and attitude toward your work, as well as weighing your values and how they corre...more
Keksisbaby
Da hat der Übersetzer des Titels doch glatt den Englischkurs für Anfänger verpasst. Denn soweit ich weiß heißt: "The Art of Happiness at Work" nicht mal im übertragenen Sinne "Glücksregeln für den Alltag". Demzufolge hatte ich beim Lesen etwas anderes erwartet.Aber nunja wie man in seinem Job glücklich wird hat ja auch etwas für sich. Ich mochte besonders die heitere Gelassenheit des Dalai Lamas und seine Sicht der selbstverständlichen westlichen Begriffe. Ich bin nicht der Meinung das dieses Bu...more
Togar Arifin Silaban
Baca edisi Bahasa Indonesia.
Tenzin Gyatso, yang ditahbiskan menjadi Dalai Lama XIV, mencerahkan pembaca lewat buku yang dituliskan oleh Howard Cutler. Buku yang merupakan hasil perpaduan pemikiran kedua orang yang saling mengisi. Dalai Lama sebagai pemimpin Tibet yang juga Bhiksu, sementara Howard Cutler seorang psikolog. Diskusi kedua orang ini menjadi suatu pemikiran yang mencerahkan bagi para pekerja.

Pengalaman praktek seorang psikolog dilengkapi dengan pemikiran seorang biksu, menjadikan buk...more
Hoan
Great concepts. I really loved the Dalai Lama's good nature and open heart. It really reminds us all to treat each other better and equally. I think it's an area in today's society that still needs much improvement. I did not however enjoy the author's interpretations all to much and it was a slow read. I loved the insight the Dalai Lama provided and the examples of how he touched people or crowds - that was moving. But overall - I did not find this to be the most helpful guide to finding happin...more
Gloria
A rather rapid read, actually, if you are somewhat familiar with some Buddhist concepts, but a life-time to master....

The book is "written" by the Dalai Lama, but essentially it is this doctor's interviews with the Dalai Lama, with a lot of his own commentary added. While it does seem a little of a bit of a misrepresentation, I don't think, if you can get over that, it is a *terrible* book, but a decent book. Actually, the interviewer gets to play the part of the naif, and one can appreciate it...more
Ap
Didn't find much practical use, sadly.
Kristie J.
Kind of boring to listen to the audiobook, but there were several good thoughts in this book. The concepts I really liked were: the difference between contentment and complacency (being content with one's job versus not caring, not wanting to learn or grow, and not trying to advance); the concept of "flow" (being totally absorbed in whatever you're doing); and the three categories of workers (those who view work as just a job, those who view work as a career, and those who view work as a calling...more
Lulu
The Dalai Lama is such a remarkable man but I can't seem to embrace any of the books written by Cutler based on conversations with him. This is the second one I've read and it was just ok. I'm not a fan of Cutler's writing.
Ellee
Mar 02, 2008 Ellee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nora, Montana
I am listening to this book as a book-on-tape and am finding it helpful. Hopefully I will be able to practice some analytical meditation to help me deal with certain coworker/s I tend to dislike. I am also hoping that this technique will allow me to put some of my other worries to rest. I suppose time will tell, but I'd definitely recommend it! It's 6 hours, unabridged, on audio so it'd probably be quicker if you were just reading it as a regular book.
Beth Miller
Here's the thing about this book that both I and my son Rob found irritating. It's too much of the co-author's perspective and not enough of the Dalai Lama. It's also incredibly surface level for a book whose subject should be a deeper examination of Tibetan Buddhism in the context of our work lives - our "right livelihood." I don't know. I found it fluffy and pop culturish, which the Dalai Lama is anything but. So...I can't say I'd really recommend it.
Golda
Aug 12, 2007 Golda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody who's working and to the bosses of your workplace
something that you want to share to someone who seems to have lost the zest of working...
something that you want to keep for yourself because working is always a rollercoaster ride.. and you want to revisit this book when you're on that lowerloop.
something that you want to share to the bosses of the world.
something that you want to share to people who professes that they are not doing anything...
Katie
The was an interesting book, but didn't seem to capture my attention like the other books the Dalai Lama has participated in. It discusses the main causes of dissatisfaction at work and ways to relieve it. For such a seemingly negative topic, the book was surprisingly light-hearted. Perhaps I will try to read it again in a few years when I have a full-time job and absorb more of the message.
Joelle
This is one of my favorite books of all time. I often read random excerpts from it to give me a bit of perspective. I love how Dali Lama answers the questions with such refreshing pure simplicity. It helps me in times when life is feeling complicated and overwhelming. He answers questions about modern day work scenario's and how he would or has approached them in his own life.
Laura K
Enjoyed this very much. There were some good, practical suggestions about attitude and thoughts. This book was written by Howard C. Cutler (a pyschiatrist and neurologist) who interviewed the Dalai Lama. The book contained both an eastern and western perspective as well as a spiritual and mental/emotional viewpoint on matters of work, life and satisfaction.
Jonna
This has been so helpful for me in coming to peace with certain things at work. I'm listening to it on audio CD as I drive back and forth. My copy is from the library, but I may buy it so I can re-listen to it periodically as a refresher. The Dalai Lama is so gentle and wise, though I find Cutler a bit pedantic at times.
Stephanie
Would have been great had it actually been co-written by the Dalai Lama as the cover suggests. Rather, Howard Cutler intersperses interview segments with his own observations about work and life. I appreciated the Dalai Lama's wisdom very much--too bad I had to wade through so much self-involved ego to get to it.
  • Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life
  • Present Moment Wonderful Moment: Mindfulness Verses for Daily Living
  • Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
  • What Makes You Not a Buddhist
  • The Wise Heart: A Guide to the Universal Teachings of Buddhist Psychology
  • Insight Meditation Kit
  • The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
  • It's Easier Than You Think: The Buddhist Way to Happiness
  • Insight Meditation: A Psychology of Freedom
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the...more
More about Dalai Lama XIV...
The Art of Happiness An Open Heart: Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama