The No. 1 Car Spotter

The No. 1 Car Spotter (No.1 Car Spotter #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  25 reviews

Oluwalase Babatunde Benson is Number 1. He's the Number 1 car spotter in his village.The Number 1 car spotter in the world! The start of an exciting new series about the irresistible Number 1, whose hobby is car spotting, but who is good at solving all sorts of problems for his village.

Published September 1st 2011 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers (first published September 6th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The No. 1 Car Spotter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The No. 1 Car Spotter

Mpho Otukile
There is No. 1 in the village, his name is Oluwalase Babatunde Benson. He is the number one car spotter. He can spot cars and tell the make of a car just by listening to their engines sounds. The No. 1 car spotter comes to the rescue when the village cart breaks and there is no way to get products to the market. He uses his knowledge of cars to convert a Corolla to a Cow-rolla.

Reading this book brought back memories of when I was growing up in my village. There weren't many cars in the village a...more
Betsy
When I discovered the amazing, remarkable, one-of-a-kind, never before seen Anna Hibiscus books by Atinuke last year I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. It just didn't seem possible. A contemporary early chapter book set on the continent of Africa? To understand how rare this was visit your local library sometime. Ask for fiction about Africa that takes place today for early readers. Specify that you'd rather not take out a work of older fiction that's deadly serious, but rather something lig...more
Deanna
Realistic fiction, global, Nigeria, family, easy reading novel for grades 2-3

Number 1 spots every vehicle that enters his village. He knows every make and model from Audi to Ford to Toyota. Each of his family members have nick names that portray their talents from his cousin Coca Cola who quickly collects soft drinks from the river (where they are cooling) for tourists to Auntie fine fine who is fine and No. 1 because he spots the tourists or visitors to their compound so quickly.

This would be...more
Barbara
Clearly, Atinuke is a born storyteller. In this title, she provides plenty of cultural details and follows the adventures of one individual whose daily life is filled with enough noteworthy material to inspire several books. What I particularly like is that her material is drawn from commonplace, everyday occurrences in the lives of ordinary folks such as No. 1. Although his birth name is Oluwalase Babatunde Benson, his family calls him No. 1 because he is good at spotting the cars that head tow...more
Shelby Fungone
This book is about a boy who lives in a small village in Africa with his family. His name is No.1 because he always spots cars traveling on the main No. 1 road through his village heading towards other villages and eventually to the big cities with tall buildings. His village is described as small, people living there only dream of electricity, and they do a lot of manual labor to make money. You can tell that he and his family are in a lower social and economic status because they aren’t making...more
Xander
A fun (youth oriented) glimpse into the lives of rural Africans. No. 1 is a good protagonist because he remains identifiable to people all over the world even if the things he is dealing with are outside of our normal experiences. I read this aloud to Kai and Keeley. They didn't soak it up as much as they have some of the Dahl books we've read, but there were still times when they seemed to be enjoying it, and that's enough for me.
Phoebe
Atinuke is the author of the excellent Anna Hibiscus series, but while sweet, I believe this title will have less appeal to children in the United States. The beginning chapter is all right, but then the author delves too deeply into dialect and culture without a bridge for those of us who need a helping hand. I could figure out what was going on or what was meant by a particular turn of phrase but your average 7 or 8-year-old reader will have a harder time. The story is a series of connected ad...more
Christina G
Gr. 2-3. Cute, humorous, and community-focused stories set in an unnamed country in Africa. I can see it being a good read-aloud.
Pa Dah
This book I like because it good story.

First Example when your read your will learn how to fix the car.

for the example this book you can read very well also understand better.

I hope you read this book your will feel good.
A.m. Layet
From the first sentence we were transported from a messy, boys bedroom, somewhere in the UK, to the hot, dusty plains of Africa. By the second sentence we had discovered a central character we could recognise and like. By the third, we were no longer noticing sentences. I thought this book was wonderful. The characters so true to life, adults and children both, and the setting and culture so rich. My son loved it too. Tomorrow he wants to google a 'firebird', to see what they really look like.
Betsy
As much as I enjoy Atinuke's Anna Hibiscus books, this one is even better! Well, it's a better start to a new series (hint, hint!! Hope so!!) than the first Anna book was. It's got great cultural details, good characterization, terrific insight into family relations--and all in an easy, early-chapter-book format. Atinuke's storytelling skills come through clearly; this book will make a great read aloud as well as an independent read for early elementary students.
Emily Ross
This was a very fun book by the author of the Anna Hibiscus Series. I read this to my boys at bedtime. My eldest enjoyed it so much after the first night that he had to read ahead & finish it first! A great way to introduce my kids to the similarities and differences of their life and a boy their age in a rural village in Africa.
Kevin
A short middle grade book featuring several stories from a modern African village about a boy named No. 1 Car Spotter. It's written in that broken English style and while the stories were quirky and interesting, it wasn't very captivating. My kids tend to like whatever I read out loud to them and they never got into this one.
Robin
Oh how I wish these books by Atinuke were still in print in the US. Stories of everyday life in Africa are so rare . . . and this one is funny too, with a great sense of family and community, and a great first chapter book.
Donalyn
You can tell that author Atinuke is a storyteller. The sing song cadence of her writing with a mix of Nigerian and English beg to be read aloud. A playful, but honest portrayal of village life.
Laura5
I really with that I could have Atinuke read this entire book to me: http://youtu.be/jwvi9MqjaLQ

The Bud really liked No. 1, and wants me to bring home the next book about him tomorrow.
Sara
This is an adorable story - the main character is charming and so true to life. Great for showing a different cultural perspective on daily life in a fun and positive way.
Dayna
A really good story, you can feel similarities to the Anna Hibiscus series. Great writing with interesting stories.
Edward Sullivan
Delightful, fun story set in contemporary Africa by the author of the Anna Hibiscus stories.
Ian
Excellent. Glimpse into modern day rural Africa told from a child's perspective.
Jessica
Very cute. The language may make it a tougher read for some children.
Tamarah
Mar 08, 2013 Tamarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: jf
JF Ati
- 3rd grade - up
- village in Africa
- great names, easy story
Mayra
Loved it! Will recommend to my students.
5yo and I enjoyed this as read aloud.
Lisa
Lisa added it
Sep 03, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
Horizons
Horizons marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Carla Corinne
Carla Corinne marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Atinuke is a Nigerian storyteller and author who now resides in Wales.
More about Atinuke...
Anna Hibiscus Anna Hibiscus' Song Hooray for Anna Hibiscus! (Anna Hibiscus, #2) Have Fun, Anna Hibiscus! (Anna Hibiscus, #4) Good Luck, Anna Hibiscus!