Start by marking “The Dog Listener: Learn How to Communicate with Your Dog for Willing Cooperation” as Want to Read:

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  528 ratings  ·  68 reviews
In The Dog Listener Jan Fennell shares her revolutionary insight into the canine world and its instinctive language that has enabled her to bring even the most delinquent of dogs to heel. This easy-to-follow guide draws on Jan's countless case histories of problem dogs—from biters and barkers to bicycle chasers—to show how you can bridge the language barrier that separates ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Dog Listener, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dog Listener

Lo
Things I like about this book: Use of positive and dog friendly methods instead of intimidation or physically hurting the dog. The things described in the book are basic polite dog behaviour things.

Things I don't like about this book: Fennel concentrates way too much on dominance. Dominance theory has been disproven with later studies of wolves and feral groups of dogs. There is no strict or unchanging social hierarchy between them. The things Fennel describes in amichien bonding do work, but fo
Rachael
I recommend this book to dog owners all the time. If you want to simply and effectively understand how your dog thinks and how to fit that knowledge into your expectations of dog as pet, then read this book. It will show you how to help your dog 'be good' and unburden your dog from having to be what your signals would otherwise likely make him/her - top dog... a role a dog in a human environment simply can't handle, and one we humans simply don't want!
Susan
I first read this book back in 2001, when the original came out. (Such was my infatuation with dogs, that I would read a dog training books when I didn't have any of my own.) I loved it, and recommended it to everyone I knew who'd gotten dogs. (There is a chance that I earned a "pushy" label during that time.)

Ten years later (two months ago), I adopted two dogs from our local shelter and immediately requested this book from the library. It is as insightful as ever. Jan's ideas work. One of the t
Steve
I loaned this book to a friend with dog troubles. She gave it back to me explaining that she couldn't finish it. The book was just too large. She was just too busy to process it all.

This is ironic as Fennel's methods easily blend into ordinary daily person <-> dog interactions and are very simple.

The problem is that the book is 4 times larger than it needs to be. Her methods could have been explained in about 50 - 100 pages with plenty of room left over for some illustrative anecdotal acco
Sara
Volendo accogliere in casa un nuovo amico peloso, stavolta canino, è necessario prima documentarsi a fondo e farsi un'idea globale di ciò che ci si deve aspettare. Soprattutto se si è alla prima esperienza. Dopo aver letto "Un cane in famiglia" di Maria Luisa Cocozza, che fa venire un entusiasmo enorme e ti focalizza unicamente sugli aspetti più affettuosi e ameni dell'avere un quattrozampe circolante per casa, la Fennel ti riporta pesantemente con i piedi per terra e parte in quarta raccontando ...more
Helena Almeida
Apesar de questionar a justificação simplista da liderança como razão para todos os problemas de comportamento dos cães, considero este um excelente método para garantir que estes tenham sempre um comportamento ajustado.
Comecei recentemente a aplicar estes princípios com a minha cadela, que tinha vindo a piorar o seu comportamento gradualmente, e os resultados já são bem visíveis. Só por isso, um grande bem haja, Jan Fennell!
Dixie
In my opinion this is the best book on dog "training" currently available. Jan Fennell talks about what is really important to dogs and how to be a non-confrontational leader in those situations. When my business partner and I tried her techniques with our clients, we saw amazing results in very little time. I whole-heartedly recommend this book to all dogs owners and everyone who works with dogs.
Tami Roof
I know it's pathetic, but at one point I cried reading this book. I was reading a part in the book explaining the behavior of a dog and it just hit a soft spot. Very good training book for any dog owner.
Ami Kismet
This book is very good for beginning dog trainers or non-professional dog owners. It lays the groundwork for paying attention to a dog's body language and being aware of the signals you are sending out to the dog. The advice was very good because it focused on positive reinforcement instead of punishment, and it is a really easy read. As I said, it lays the groundwork for a very successful relationship with dogs. However, I do recommend further reading and research. My main issue is that she mad ...more
Natasha Acres
This is a really interesting book for those that have dogs that don't fit in with your idea of the perfect pet!

We have a 'spirited' (at best) or 'hyperactive' (at worst) border collie that has given us plenty of fun but also plenty of concern. He fits in well at home but anything out of the norm (like visiting other people) makes him pretty manic.

I read this book in the hope to see if I understood what makes him tick and it's given me a really good insight into dog behaviour. Its simply written
Lucinda
Categorically unsurpassed, this revolutionary method is simple but effective. A must read for all dog owners!

I cannot recommend this book highly enough to all dog lovers and owners, who want to gain an understanding of how their canine friend communicates and acts in the way that he/she does. With a foreword by legendary and highly renowned horse trainer Monty Roberts, one knows instantly that Jan Fennell’s advice and study of canine behavior is going to be spot on. Learning the language of you
Athena
Dec 16, 2007 Athena rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a big dog
When we decided that we would take on the responsibility of a dog, my mother in law sent us this book from England. It sat on the shelf until we eventually rescued a four month old Chocolate Labrador who was already weighing in at 47 lbs. Charlie started out fine, but it became quite obvious that he was going to need some pretty serious training. I picked up Jan's book and started practicing her preach right away. The theory behind her book is the wolf pack mentality and how a dog must know it's ...more
Sirius Scientist
I'm an avid dog lover and had decided to start dog sports with my Border Collie and German Shepherd, so I devoured every "dog" book I could get my hands on. This book, to me, was a horribly written rip-off of many of the better known authors in this genre. If you want a good book on interacting with your dog, or better understanding your relationship with your canine companion, check out Dr Patricia McConnoll's For the Love of a Dog: Understanding Emotion in You and Your Best Friend or her first ...more
Carole
What a simple and effective dog training system! If you're adding a puppy to your household, read this before you get your dog. I think if you implement this training system from the very first with a young dog, you -- and your dog -- will have great success.

Unfortunately my new dog is a 22 month old rescue dog that has had a hard life. We have a lot to overcome, and I think Farley would be crushed by some of the training techniques. He is a very nervous, insecure dog, and I don't want to jeopar
Amatos
You'll find a million training books out there for sit, stay, heel, but ultimately what we need is for our dogs to be calm and receptive to our requests. If you are training or having problems with your dog, this is a simple guide to having a better relationship with your pet.
Fiona
Some of the author's views regarding pack mentality doesn't sit well with me. An interesting read as reading books from differing viewpoints helps solidify my own beliefs and how I interact with my own (and others) dogs.
Gwen Courbé
Am just about to start a training course to be a cynologist, am reading all sorts of books on "dog whisperers" & this book is definitely the one that has "clicked" with me !!! A MUST read.
Paola
Se amate il vostro cane sappiate che lui vorrebbe che voi leggiate questo libro. La vostra vita a due diventerà un paradiso, starete tutti quanti meglio. Un padrone che sa fare il padrone rende un cane felice. La Fannell ha preso spunto dal tizio che sussurrava ai cavalli e ha pensato: ci deve pur essere un sistema per far fare al cane quello che noi vogliamo senza forzature e urla e addestramento da lager. Si é messa a osservare un branco di lupi, come interagiscono, come relazionano, le gerarc ...more
Tracey
This book was extremely helpful! I think a lot of people mistakenly think Jan Fennell is a "dog psychic" or "dog whisperer" when in reality she has just studied wolves(of which dogs have descended) and dogs them self to create a logical, humane way of treating your dog. I only wish I could get my husband to try it, as I think it would be more effective, but am hoping if I can get my children to particpate we will still see results. I have seen some already in our puppy. I would recommend to any ...more
Laurie
Really helped me understand my dogs better, and to build a better relationship with them.
Ellen
Very good. Makes sense. Tactics seem to be helping a 7 year old, separation anxiety ridden dog.....somewhat. May just take more time.
Liz
Excellent outline of how to communicate with dogs, including working on several problem behaviours. However, I would have loved a bit more detail in each case study, some felt a bit like Step 1) I meet a dog with a behaviour problem Step 2) I use my magic skills of ignoring the dog to make the dog view me as its leader Step 3) I teach the owners to also ignore the dog Step 4) The dog is cured!

I would recommend this book to anyone who is adopting a new dog because it contains fantastic ideas in t
We adopted a 5 year old dog this past summer and he has some "issues". He is coming along fantastically and this book has helped more than I can explain.

It does an excellent job of looking at life from the "dogs perspective" in a way that humans can try and understand. It is a must read for any pet owner that is looking to give their pet the happiest and most well adjusted life possible. This book is very helpful for any type of behavioral problem you may have but is also an excellent book for
Linnea
Fennell kertoo kirjassaan uransa kehityksestä, koiristaan ja koulutusmenetelmistään. Menetelmää käydään läpi lähinnä onnistuneiden case-esimerkkien avulla. Toisinaan Kuuntelen koiraani on liiankin onnistumiskeskeinen, olisin lukenut mieluummin itse menetelmästä ja sen käyttöönotosta selkeämmin kuin todeta kerta toisensa jälkeen että kappas, 15 minuuttia ja taas on koiran ongelma selvitetty. Menetelmä itsessään kuitenkin on kiinnostava ja koiraa kunnioittava.
Amy
Fascinating! After years of training dogs, author radically changes her methods and suggests the most important aspect of training dogs involves learning to "communicate dog" rather than expect a dog to communicate or think/feel as a human. Author focuses on building the relationship between dog and human so dog has a desire to obey man and to consistently understand its place in the pack (the family). I'm really glad I read this book and look forward to trying these techniques.
Mintti
Suomeksi Kuuntelen koiraani. Ihan kiva kirja jossa kirjailija Jan Fennel kehitti koirankuuntelutaitojaan saatuaan siihen oivalluksen hevoskuiskaaja Monty Robertsilta. Amichien bonding menetelmässä on hyviäkin puolia joita varmaan voisi soveltaa koirankoulutuksessa, mutta se perustuu koirien valta-aseman tavoitteluun ja pomottamiseen, mikä on mielestäni vanhanaikainen näkemys. Mutta miksei tästä voisi joitain vinkkejä ottaa käyttöönsä.
Bri
I liked this book much better than "Caesar's Way". It followed the same ideas as Caesar's book, but was much less opposing, and more of a how-to guide. The 30 day training guide in the back was very helpful. As a woman, I find it hard to get the commanding tone of voice that guys can get, this book gives an excellent alternative to the calm-assertive that Caesar asks for. Now if only the book could do the work for me.....
Summerc79
I highly recommend reading this book to every dog owner. Out of all the reading I did, this is the one book that helped most.
The ideas developed by Jan Fennell, her method, proved very effective with my own Akita for instance.
Gentleness, understanding, communication and leadership are the base of any good relationship with our furry friends, and this book give you the keys to achieve that harmony.
Sanfordgrant
This is a good book for someone to train their dog with love. t focuses on building a bond of trust and using that as a bridge of communication with another species. If you have time and limitless patience coupled with an easy dog, this book will help you. otherwise, it is worth the read to pick and choose the parts that work in your life. The author definitely understands and loves her dogs.
Tasha
I'm looking forward to trying these methods and seeing the outcome! Trying right now to introduce 2 dogs (resident dog and adopted dog) with little success . Hoping this helps! The author has great insight and presents the information in an easy to understand way that makes you want to try these methods right away! I'd love to report back that we've had success in integrating the two.
  • How To Speak Dog: Mastering the Art of Dog-Human Communication
  • Reaching the Animal Mind: Clicker Training and What It Teaches Us About All Animals
  • The Power of Positive Dog Training
  • The Social Lives of Dogs
  • Feeling Outnumbered?: How to Manage and Enjoy Your Multi-Dog Household
  • The Dog's Mind: Understanding Your Dog's Behavior
  • Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats
  • Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog
  • How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves
  • On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals
  • The New Work of Dogs: Tending to Life, Love, and Family
  • Control Unleashed:  Creating a Focused and Confident Dog
The Practical Dog Listener The Seven Ages of Man's Best Friend: A Comprehensive Guide for Caring for Your Dog Through All the Stages of Life Tales from the Dog Listener: 28 Secrets to Being Your Dog's Best Friend Puppy Listener Understanding and Caring for Your New Puppy Friends For Life