Parenting the Ephraim's Child: Characteristics, Capabilities, and Challenges of Children Who Are Intensely More

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Have you ever read a parenting book and thought:

* My child doesn't fit this description.
* None of these techniques seem to work.
* Why is my child so high maintenance?

You may unknowingly have an Ephraim's Child.

What is an Ephraim's Child?

Like those of the tribe of Ephraim, an Ephraim's Child has great determination, energy, and a headstrong will. Ephraim's Children ar

Published September 11th 2012 by Horizon Publishers & Distributors (first published October 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Parenting the Ephraim's Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parenting the Ephraim's Child

Marni
This is a really intriguing, eye-opening book. I've got 5 children, one that from birth has given us more opportunities to learn and practice good parenting skills (nice way to say, "He's one tough kid!"). I had read and read and read about how to "fix" him, looking for the magic formula, magic words, magic anything to help me help this kid. Newsflash, there isn't one.

But there is still good news - we can help our difficult children become great adults by recognizing their difficult traits for...more
Danielle
I really liked this and as I was reading I kept thinking "yes! this is my child..." I feel like I have my eyes opened up to a new way to view my firstborn. This is written by mother-daughter of some pretty intense children. Not just kids going through the 'terrible twos' or whatever, but kids who are super emotional, super intense, super clever and super passionate.
There is a lot of scripture, a lot of refrences to prophets and apostles who talk about why and how these children have been saved f...more
Amy
I borrowed this from a friend a while back--it is sort of a "Raising Your Spirited Child" with an LDS perspective. Having a daughter who is definitely "intensely more" with her feelings, I really enjoyed the "our strengths are our weaknesses" reminder. I honestly can't remember if I even finished the book--otherwise I'd give it 5 stars...I'm thinking if I finished it, then I would remember more tangible advice from it....however, it did give me a lot of good ideas and inspiration to not keep try...more
Kristine
I think this book is written by LDS authors (hence the title). A cool LDS perspective on why maybe children who are saved for the latter days may be a little more difficult to parent: "an EC has great determination, energy, and a headstrong will. EC are also often high maintenance, emotional, controlling and aggravating."

If your kid is INTENSE and feels everything 0% or 200% (Ellie's been bossy since day 1) this can help give you ideas on coping and strategies for negotiation. I think it really...more
Elspeth
This is one of the best parenting books I've ever read. It combines parenting advice with the gospel to teach parents, not only how to help their children behave but how to encourage the traits they will need to grow up to be contributers to the world and the church. This book goes beyond making it through power struggles with your child to turning your child's persistence into steadfastness. A wonderful look at how the traits your child has now that make parenting such a challenge can be develo...more
Rebekah Sheppard
Good specific tips on interacting with your "intensely more" child
Michelle
This is an amazing book. If you're child seems not to fit the ordinary cast of children... If other parenting strategies aren't working...you'll love this book. It shows how what seem like difficult personality traits in your child can actually become wonderful strengths later in life, if they are nurtured correctly. It helps you understand where this "crazy person" is coming from and how best to deal with them in a constructive, loving and understanding way. It has a definite LDS perspective, b...more
Robert
Maybe it was just my mood at the time, but tone of this book struck me as off. I'm sure the authors are well-intentioned, but I would cringe at every mention of "my child is more". It felt borderline elitist, describing a class of children who are better than others.

I only made it a few chapters in, then skimmed the rest. Most of it was simple common sense. Had I read this at a different time perhaps it would have worked for me.
Krissy
Oct 08, 2007 Krissy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who blieves their child to be more intense than other kids
I wouldn't say this book is a great piece of writing, but it does have some good information. Do the authors have degrees behind their knowledge? No, but they have experience. This book did not solve all the issues with my daughter, but it did help me understand her (and myself) better. If anything, it helped me realize that I'm not alone, and that other parents are dealing with the same frustrations I am.
Nathan
Jun 02, 2008 Nathan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents
Recommended to Nathan by: JoAnn-Bob-Square-Pants
Attempts to fill in the gaps that other "traditional" parenting books leave with thoughtful discussion on parenting. I thought the scriptural references were a little stretched, but oh well. Lots of decent suggestions, or food for thought in developing a more positive and proactive (rather than reactive) parenting style. We've been trying several techinques, and they seem to be going pretty well.
Jenny
Written from an LDS perspective, this may just have been the most helpful parenting book I've read. It gives both great strategies for dealing with children who are intense (in my case, intensely sensitive, in particular) but also really helps reshape the way you view these children...seeing these characteristics as strengths and blessings rather than just as problems/challenges.
Kara
This book was awesome. It totally changed how I viewed my children and has helped in many ways especially in parenting and disciplining during difficult/exhausting/frustrating situations. I plan to read it again in a year and keep reminding myself what I can do to raise my children to become who they are meant to become as spirit children of God.
Sheralyn
Loved this book! I do not usually say this about parenting books, but this one was written with such love for children that normally make you want to pull your hair out and brought up such little things that make such a big difference. This is a book I keep around as a reference and I look into it on a regular basis.
Katie
Sep 18, 2007 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE that has kids or is planning on having children.
This book changed my life. Not only do I have an Ephraim's Child, but I believe I was/am one as well. This book really helped me and my daughter discover better ways to communicate with each other. Her tantrums have nearly vanished and I feel a closer connection to her and to my Heavenly Father.
Emily
I have lent this book to my sister, so I haven't been able to finish it yet, but I just love it! It changes your perspective so much and helps you understand your children and why they act the way they do. A must read for mommies of incredibly strong-willed children!
I LOVE this book. From infancy, all of my kids have been something more. The family doctor has always told us that most kids have 2 batteries and mine run on three. It was really refreshing to read practical solutions especially from an LDS perspective.
Kellie
I really needed this book. At least 2 of my kids fit this book perfectly and sometimes I can see the others in it, too. This book really helped me understand my kids better and it has helped me have a better relationship with them.
Eva
This book was great in some ways, like any other parenting book in other ways, and poorly edited. Good things: discipline ideas for kids that don't respond to tradional methods, keys to understanding and teaching your child, etc.
Cayenne
This book was the best parenting book I have ever read. My children are all definitely "intensely more" and the information, guidance, and hope I found in this book has totally changed the way I think about my children.
Summer Beckwith Gibby
This book has helped me a lot with Tyler. He is so intense in all his emotions and so sensitive to certain things like sound, groups and certain fabric; it's helped us understand why he reacts the way he does to things.
Heidi
The LDS version of the Spirited Child, including lots of scriptures and statements from the prophets about why our children will do great things for the Lord's work if we can all survive their childhood. :)
Jani
This was recommended to me by my good friend. I love it. For anyone who has a "spirited" child, this book gives practical direction while at the same time providing lots of examples.
Monique
Feb 29, 2008 Monique is currently reading it
So far, very interesting. I feel like I connect with the authors in some of their experiences. I am not very far, so I will add more after I've read further.
Greta
I LOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEDDDD this book. It was right on for both of my children. I wish I could have discovered it three or four years ago.
Becky
Mar 05, 2009 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone that has children, will have children, or who are near children!
Recommended to Becky by: Suzi
Shelves: parenting
This book I will buy. I have finally found a book that explains my child to a tee! Now I just need to put the suggestions and skills in practice!
Katie
This book has been so helpful for me and came highly recommended by a dear friend. It's really help me understand the strengths of my children.
Lindsey Leon
not everything applied to my child, but i loved the advice that did!
Amanda
This book has helped Bryan and I with Broc. It helps us to know how to help him with strong emotions.
Afton
Really helped me understand my own children and others better.
Michelle
Jul 25, 2012 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents who are wondering WHAT to do with their great kids who are also challenging
Recommended to Michelle by: Teresa Warren and My mom
So far so good! Very insightful and helpful information!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Enjoying the Journey: Steps to Finding Joy Now. Reach for your full potential as a child of God and find the joy the Lord intends for each of us.