Start by marking “Flesh and Blood (Frank Elder, #1)” as Want to Read:
Flesh and Blood (Frank Elder, #1)

Flesh and Blood (Frank Elder #1)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  385 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Fifteen years ago Susan Blacklock disappeared. Although Detective Inspector Frank Elder has taken early retirement, the case still plagues his mind.

Prime suspects, Shane Donald and Alan McKeirnan, were convicted a year later of the brutal rape and murder of a young girl, and now that Shane has been granted parole, Elder feels compelled to revisit the past.

Then Shane disapp
Published February 3rd 2005 by Arrow (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Flesh and Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flesh and Blood

Whitenoisemaker
Not bad at all. Elder is literally an elder (well, from this young man's perspective at least), which seems a bit crushingly obvious, but this isn't some Hetty Wainthrop cosy-murder candy-floss. He even gets it on a couple of times, which didn't exactly leave the happiest of images in my head but certainly gave the character a little edge.

Yes, there's your fair run of crime cliches, the vulnerable single daughter, the nightmares, the charismatic psycho urging on others from behind bars, but ther
Durdles
Enjoyable and extremely well written crime drama following recently retired detective Frank Elder's attempt to resolve the disappearance of a 16 year old girl years ago, a case he had failed to clear up when working. The release of one of a pair of serial killers jailed for torturing and killing young girls - prime suspects for the unsolved disappearance - galvanises Elder into undertaking some further research for his own satisfaction as well as trying to help the girl's mother, whose unresolve ...more
Ian Mapp
Read about this author in the daily mail on crime writers. He has a 10 book series of another dectective and this is the first in a trilogy of retired policeman frank elder.

He was involved in a case where two youths kidnapped, raped and murdered a young girl. One was very much the leader and the other was led astray. Mr Led Astray is released and this re-kindles Elders interest - primarily because one potential victim was never found.

What follows jumps between times and characters. More than in
Kellie
Milena
Свикнах да пиша рецензии на книги, които са ми харесали и са ме впечатлили, и сега не знам как да започна тази за Джон Харви и неговата “Плът и кръв” („Летера“, 2005г.), първата част от трилогията с главен герой Франк Елдър (следващите заглавия са “Пепел и кости” и “Мрак и светлина”). Описват романа като “могъщ и увлекателен трилър”, за него Харви получава „Сребърна кама“ – наградата на Британската асоциация на авторите на криминалните романи, а също и американския приз „Бари“ за най-добър крими ...more
LJ
FLESH AND BLOOD (Amateur Sleuth – Non-cozy) – VG
John Harvey – Standalone
Retired Detective Inspector Elder is haunted by the unsolved disappearance of sixteen-year-old in 1988. One of the prime suspects, Shane Donald, has been released from prison, and Elder feels compelled to revisit the scene of the crime. When Shane breaks parole and disappears and another young girl is horribly murdered, Elder's involvement becomes crucial. Taunted by postcards from the killer, Elder battles his own demons as
Oct 31, 2012 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of British procedurals
Recommended to Jennifer by: Waukegan Public Library
Shelves: read-2012
I picked this book randomly off the library shelf which had quite a collection of John Harvey novels (apparently before this book, Harvey wrote a series of mysteries focusing on Charlie Resnick . . . who actually has a brief, very brief, cameo in this story). On the surface, this starts out to be a typical British police procedural but it soon proves to be more nuanced and character-driven than that. DI Frank Elder has retired to the Cornish coast--divorced and suffering from nightmares. He read ...more
John
I've always thoroughly enjoyed John Harvey's writing. I've read all the Charlie Resnick books, so I thought I would try the first in the Frank Elder series.

I certainly wasn't disappointed. Harvey always has such great characterizations about believable characters. In addition to the crime(s) being investigated, there is such good interplay between all the characters. We learn about Elder's ex-wife and 16-year old daughter, Kate. I think Kate is a major character in the next book of this series a
Jon
A pretty good police procedural set in working-class contemporary England. Better than average characters, including a caring but tough retired policeman (Frank Elder), and a suspect so pathetic (even though he is a convicted accomplice in a series of brutal murders) that you actually have some sympathy for him. Most of the book is spent with Elder looking for a girl who disappeared 15 years ago and who was probably an undiscovered victim of the suspect and his partner. Then teen-age girls begin ...more
Joy
I liked this one, but it was a slower pace than many of the books I have read lately. I enjoyed Frank Elder, like that his relationships felt real, and liked that the author wasn't afraid to have Frank in uncomfortable situations without making him a cliche. I think I'll read the next in the series too.
Sharonm
I really enjoyed this British mystery, but felt it had some flaws. The main character, Frank Elder, was emotionally remote, and this seemed natural given his generation (thought of Dad). A theme of the book was what happens when people don’t accept responsibility for their roles in events. The flaws included a somewhat contrived intermingling of plots and a reference to dreams that didn’t make sense to me. The book had a very straight line narrative.
Maneden
Feb 11, 2011 Maneden rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a fair suspense thriller
Recommended to Maneden by: No-one
Very intriguing and keeps you guessing at every turn. The suspense is well-planned and the story links well. I did find that the novel was slightly over-crammed with incidents which made it a little confusing at times. It had somewhat of an anti-climactic ending which feels as though it was tacked on as an afterthought.
Nancy
I really like this author but some of the descriptions are too graphic for me. His characters are always so interesting that it's worth putting up with the violence (which is fairly brief, just too descriptive.)
Vivian
Excellent and entertaining debut in the Frank Elder series. I'm ordering the second entry shortly. I quite like the way the author writes and the setting is a big plus for me. Highly recommend.
Anna Macdonald
I enjoyed this book a lot. Had a problem with a few of the British words though. Had to resort to the dictionary to find out the meanings of some words. Other than that the story was very exciting.
Meredith
I like this guy's work - glad I picked this from the library shelf and glad there are several more volumes waiting for me - good police procedural with interesting characters that are well-developed.
Robert Hellenga
The author aims at profundity with his likeable and philosophical ex-detective, but he can't quite pull it off. Some seriously scary bad guys, however, keep you on edge.
Kaylol
For more than half of the book I was quite bored. The story's not bad but it's nothing exciting or even original. But the end made it worthwhile reading the book.
Maggie Wilson
Really enjoyed reading this and now a John Harvey convert - will be on the hunt for more of his work to read now. Enjoyed the way he writes and tells his tale.
Kathleen Dixon
Like the first one I read by this author, I enjoyed it but not as much as I had expected to. Also, this one is very dark.
Peggy
Jan 18, 2008 Peggy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery, crime drama
Just as promised.. a murder, crime mystery...
I enjoyed it..
Though not thought provoking.. It is entertaining..

Thejelman
Gripping, taut thriller, the first in the Frank Elder series. Credible and well-crafted, thoroughly enjoyable
Jed
I enjoyed this and will look out for other John Harvey books. Nothing outstanding, just a good steady read.
Cynthia
I discovered another British detective series!! And I really liked it & will continue following this series!
Jane
This book was not as good as it should have been. I just never could get into it. Strange ending.
Marleen
Boek gelezen in het Nederlands, titel Vlees en bloed.
Ik vond het een goede thriller.
CLM
Aug 18, 2007 CLM rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kip
Shelves: mystery
A very dark British author with an unerring eye for suspense and brooding characters.
Jim
realistic and thoughtful plus maintains suspense as to solution to crime
Iris
First book I have read by this writer and it will not be the last.
Margaret
3.5 stars I think - not an easy or a comfortable read but compelling.
  • One Last Breath (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #5)
  • The Summons (Peter Diamond, #3)
  • Orchestrated Death
  • The Water Clock (Philip Dryden, #1)
  • Take No Farewell
  • Turnstone (DI Joe Faraday, #1)
  • Service of All the Dead (Inspector Morse, #4)
  • Innocence
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • All Shall Be Well (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #2)
  • The Dead of Winter (John Madden, #3)
  • Badlands (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #4)
  • The Final Country
  • A Cold Red Sunrise (Porfiry Rostnikov, #5)
aka Jon Barton, William S. Brady (with Angus Wells), L.J. Coburn (with Laurence James), J.B. Dancer (with Angus Wells), John B. Harvey, William M. James (with Terry Harknett and Laurence James), Terry Lennox, John J. McLaglen (with Laurence James), James Mann, Thom Ryder, J.D. Sandon (with Angus Wells), Jon Hart

John Harvey (born 21 December 1938 in London) is a British author of crime fiction most
More about John Harvey...

Frank Elder (3 books)
  • Ash & Bone (Frank Elder, #2)
  • Darkness & Light (Frank Elder, #3)
Lonely Hearts (Charlie Resnick, #1) Cold in Hand (Charles Resnick, #11) Ash & Bone (Frank Elder, #2) Rough Treatment (Charlie Resnick, #2) Darkness & Light (Frank Elder, #3)