Start by marking “The Bravest of the Brave” as Want to Read:
The Bravest of the Brave

The Bravest of the Brave

Late one day I hurried home,
Stepping through the wood alone.
It was deep and dim; I could barely see.
But I thought brave thoughts to comfort me.

A Young Skunk heads home through the woods—alone. Or maybe not…
Could there be robbers, or pirates, or ghosts, or trappers in the woods? And is our hero brave enough to keep away?
With bouncy rhymes, charming art, a subtle counting t
Published April 27th 2011 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 11th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Bravest of the Brave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bravest of the Brave

Delicia
Oct 12, 2009 Delicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genre: fiction, counting book,
Topic: counting to ten, bravery
Theme: overcoming fear, friendship
Illustrations: The illustrations are very colorful. They work with the text to reveal how the little skunk is overreacting to his fears. The text describes what the skunk thinks he sees or hears; the illustrations show what he is really seeing or hearing.
Use: read aloud, independent reading, guided reading
Reading level: strong early
Literary Elements: Repetition, onomatopoeia, rhyming

Thoughts:

Late one
babyhippoface
A little skunk walks through the woods alone, singing, stomping, and dancing to scare away the creatures he encounters along the way in this rhyming, rhythmic, counting book. Readers will realize the little fellow is never in any real danger as they identify the woodland animals he fears. The greens and browns of Bowers’ forest are more comforting than frightening, and Skunk’s bravery in the “deep dark wood” may help to easy nighttime fears of little readers. A fitting choice for Kindergarten di ...more
Heather
My kids loved the pictures. They love skunks in general. They're weird like that.

This book was silly and fun, but a little awkward. It's hard to tell if it's supposed to rhyme or not, if it's supposed to have a rhythm or not. Reading out loud the text didn't quite flow. And the plot fell just a little flat, a little too forced.

The little skunk counts up to 10 which is helpful for younger kids.

While we enjoyed it, I don't think we'll use it again.
Bethany
May 28, 2008 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This is a cute little book that, though it's formated like a counting book, can be enjoyed by older children as well. The book is about a skunk, who is telling his story of how bravely he travelled through the "deep dark wood." His story tells of his brave reactions, but the pictures show him clearly reacting in terror. Kids and parents will get a kick out of the contrast between his words and the pictures.

This could be a good read-aloud for K-2.
Courtney
Jan 20, 2012 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! The illustrations are great and offer the reader opportunities to use their imagination and see the characters' action and emotions from different points of view. The text was great, simple and keeps readers engaged.
Eva Leger
Sep 05, 2010 Eva Leger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eva by: library
Shelves: julias-books
The Bravest of the Brave is a awfully cute counting book with rhyming text. Each rhyme is fun filled and a hoot to read out loud. The illustrations are just as fun as the writing.
Jessica Lauber
LOVE the illustrations. Rhyming patterns were fun.
Samuel
Jun 08, 2016 Samuel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot i think i would would this to my children especially if they are having trouble being brave. Its very relatable to children, encouraging them to overcome their fears and be brave. like the movie big daddy when he made him wear sunglasses when he was scared so he would think no one could see him. The illustrations were lively and assisted in telling different that can scare you as a kid.
Dolly
Jul 01, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
When I offered to read this book aloud with our girls, our oldest moaned, "But it's a counting book!", just horrified that I wanted to read such a babyish book with her. But our youngest said that she wanted to read it and our oldest relented. After all the drama, I think everyone enjoyed this story. The rhyming narrative, the mistaken identities and the entertaining rhythm of the tale make this a fun book to read aloud, especially at bedtime. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Ariel Cummins
Little skunk is very brave! He scares away pirates and ghosts (well, maybe more like owls and porcupines, but it's a matter of perspective) as he walks through the woods. Counting is incorporated throughout.

Acrylics make the illustrations very bold and saturated with colors, and the faces of the forest animals as skunk scares them away are priceless.

The rhyme wasn't perfectly smooth on this one, but if you're searching for a funny forest animal counting book, well here ya go!
Kelley Beatty
It is a story of a skunk that tries to be brave. The book starts counting at one and goes up. It is very cute with beautiful pictures. This book would be well loved by your classroom and would even be cute to do a class project on. It could also be used to help stimulate the children's thinking. It keeps with the them of "he was so brave and then....." you could do a lot of asking the kids what do they think?
Lauren Wood
Sep 29, 2016 Lauren Wood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el230
I liked this book very much. It had a lot of elements that would be good for a classroom such as numbers and lots of describing words. I would recommend this book for kindergarten through second grade. The describing words in this book would challenge students of this age in a good way but might be too simple or "babyish" for students older than that.
Kimberly
Oct 23, 2015 Kimberly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The book's vocabulary wasn't appropriate for the target audience. It was teaching counting, and yet used words like "gravely" and "stoutly." If I had to stop and explain all the unfamiliar words, the comprehension of the story would have been lost amongst the kids.
Chelsea
What a great story for children who want to be a little bit braver. While counting and rhyming, the story shows our little friend on his way home. I love the art work and this is a book I would enjoy owning someday. I collect children's books. Recommended for ages 0 and above, adults included. :)
Molly
Feb 22, 2008 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A young skunk lost deep in the woods, uses the lessons his mother taught him, and braves his way back to his family. This really cute book uses rhyming text to show children ways to cope with being afraid.
Marcie
Jun 05, 2011 Marcie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marcie by: Arapahoe Ridge
Used as respect book at Arapahoe Ridge 2010-11. Most likely only for K.
Shannon
Jan 06, 2013 Shannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Fine, fine, fine. Cute enough book, good introduction to inferencing, but I didn't think it also needed to be a counting book.
Tricia
As a little skunk heads home through the woods, his imagination is in overdrive. Counting concept--rhyming text adds a bit of life to the delivery.
Lde212_06
I think this is a fun tale of bravery. It is a fun read for students and a good book to have in a classroom library.
A
Good bedtime story, fun rhyming text. Little skunk thinks brave thoughts as nighttime creatures appear in number order (1 masked face, 2 gruff voices, 3 silk nets, etc), fun storytime read aloud.
Alexandria Hiam
Kelly
Onomatopoeia.
carissa
A fearless little skunk sets off through the woods alone at night encountering scary creatures, which the reader can correctly identify as various forest animals.
Turrean
A little skunk makes his way through the deep dark wood, meeting each not-so-scary encounter with brave stomping, singing, or tail-raising. This would be a good Halloween read-aloud for PK-K.
Heather
cute skunk book also deals with fear
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2014
Smith Family
Smith Family rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2017
Clemmie
Clemmie rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Bambi Pea
Bambi Pea rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Shutta Crum, an award-winning writer of books for children and poetry for adults, is a storyteller and a retired youth librarian who was awarded the Mich. Library Assoc. Award of Merit as youth librarian of the year (2002). She is also an educator who taught writing at the high school and college level, and to third-graders under the auspices of the Mich. Council for the Arts. Currently her presen ...more
More about Shutta Crum...