Start by marking “The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in the Wild West: 1840 to 1900” as Want to Read:
The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in the Wild West: 1840 to 1900

The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in the Wild West: 1840 to 1900

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Writers will save hours of valuable research time and bring a richness and historical accuracy to their work as they reference the slice-of-life facts depicted for each of these major time periods. Each book contains descriptions of the period's food and clothes; customs and slang; occupations; common religious and political practices; and other historical details.
Published November 27th 1999 by Writer's Digest Books (first published March 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in the Wild West

Robert Jones
An informative look at how life in the Wild West was, but, not quite what I was expecting from the title. "The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in the Wild West" doesn't really have much in the way of "writer's guide" or "everyday life."

The section under "Gunfighters and Outlaws," for example, in Chapter 17, is a one paragraph summary of the existence of train robberies and shoot-outs, and then a long list of various gun violence related factoids - such as "1867 - Jesse James kills three people w
Alaric Longward
Amusing and informative. Must-read if you wish to create an authentic feeling western.
Erin Bowman
Nice overview of frontier life and social customs of the west. Great writer's resource.
Jill
I think I should get my own copy of this, as it is a great reference book, but I just didn't have time to plow through it all.

Moulton sometimes repeats herself (and you can tell she has a thing for Grand Encampment, WY), but overall the stuff you learn from her is useful and accurate (inasmuch as I've read it elsewhere before) and often amusing. Some of the stuff she talks about I wish she'd elaborate on more, but I guess that's where I should step in and do my own research.

Worth going back to a
April
Aug 19, 2012 April rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Wonderful book. Very detailed, descriptive, informative, and entertaining. Perfect for a writer's resource book.
Allison
good details for research
Amanda
Amanda is currently reading it
Dec 19, 2014
Cristiano
Cristiano marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Sep 15, 2014
Candy Wyman
Candy Wyman marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Ursula Cylek
Ursula Cylek marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Carol Richey
Carol Richey marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Brenda Moffitt
Brenda Moffitt marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Karine
Karine marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Jennifer Olson
Jennifer Olson marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Christine Hill
Christine Hill marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Kaye
Kaye marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Chief Joseph: Guardian of the People Everyday Life in the Wild West Roadside History of Wyoming Everyday Life Among the American Indians Roadside History Of Nebraska