The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in the Wild West: 1840 to 1900 (Writer's Guides to Everyday Life)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Reference. This book shows you firsthand what it was like to tame the prairies, fight the battles and build the boom towns. From things people ate to what they wore , this book is packed with historical accounts, maps and photographs to give you a complete perspective on this fascinating era.
Published March 1st 1999 by Writer's Digest Books

Bob Jones
An informative look at how life in the Wild West was, but, not quite what I was expecting from the title. "The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in the Wild West" doesn't really have much in the way of "writer's guide" or "everyday life."

The section under "Gunfighters and Outlaws," for example, in Chapter 17, is a one paragraph summary of the existence of train robberies and shoot-outs, and then a long list of various gun violence related factoids - such as "1867 - Jesse James kills three people w...more
Alaric Longward
Amusing and informative. Must-read if you wish to create an authentic feeling western.
Erin Bowman
Nice overview of frontier life and social customs of the west. Great writer's resource.
Jill
I think I should get my own copy of this, as it is a great reference book, but I just didn't have time to plow through it all.

Moulton sometimes repeats herself (and you can tell she has a thing for Grand Encampment, WY), but overall the stuff you learn from her is useful and accurate (inasmuch as I've read it elsewhere before) and often amusing. Some of the stuff she talks about I wish she'd elaborate on more, but I guess that's where I should step in and do my own research.

Worth going back to a...more
April
Aug 19, 2012 April rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Wonderful book. Very detailed, descriptive, informative, and entertaining. Perfect for a writer's resource book.
Allison
good details for research
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Karine
Karine marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Jennifer Olson
Jennifer Olson marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Christine Hill
Christine Hill marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Kaye
Kaye marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Guin
Guin marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Chrissy
Chrissy marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Steve_long
Steve_long marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
Rei
Rei marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
Tay
Tay added it
Jul 03, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
Sirflapdragon
Sirflapdragon marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Chief Joseph: Guardian of the People Everyday Life in the Wild West Roadside History of Wyoming Everyday Life Among the American Indians Roadside History Of Nebraska