Repacking Your Bags

Repacking Your Bags

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  21 reviews
People everywhere feel overwhelmed today--weighed down by countless responsibilities and buffeted by changes in their personal and professional lives. Repacking Your Bags shows readers how to climb out from under these burdens and find fulfillment in their lives--now and in the years ahead.
Published December 12th 1994 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers

Nathan W Pace
Jun 11, 2013 Nathan W Pace rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone at a cross road in life.
I first read this book 5 years ago and it helped me in many ways move forward in life. Now 5 years later finding myself at a cross-roads I am reading it again to gain better perspective on what I want to do with my life.
Tami
Have you ever gone on a trip and packed far too much? An extra outfit or two just in case then shoes to match, etc, etc. Things you’ll never really use anyway. Eventually, you might have even had to add another bag or suitcase. Only to realize, once at your destination, that you forgot a key item.

Life is kind of like that. Sometimes, we carry around all this useless stuff. Not just material items but also relationships, emotional garbage, and beliefs that no longer fit us. It’s sort of like kee...more
Sophiebird
"Interesting read with a few points to ponder regarding traveling through life with too much material and/or emotional baggage. But too many examples of wealthy individuals being able change their plights. Having the funds to risk a change can always help the situation, but I was not moved by a physician setting up a practice in an under-developed country, but if it worked for him all the better for the world; or the person who took off to a safari in Tanzania. Must be nice, but not all of us ca...more
LizG
Great book to help one begin the process of re-evaluating one's life. If you feel like something's missing and aren't sure what or how to define it, this gives you a great place to start.

Without being heavy or daunting, it asks that we truly look at all we're carrying through life and decide what we actually want and need for the journey, and what could be let go. Includes exercises to challenge the idea that it's too hard to change.

Their definition of The Good Life pretty much sums it up:

"Livi...more
Maggie
the usual information; helpful; pulled together in one book; but nothing new. the new part is the title ... an invitation: repack your bags. it matters. the title said it all, imo. the rest of the book details how to do so and that's when the reader sees that there's nothing new here. just need to get to it. which is itself an important message of which we need to be reminded.

second reading january 2012 ... remains a decent reminder of the basics toward simplicity and wholeness that are so easil...more
Robin
Once in awhile, it's useful to stop and assess if we are in alignment with our vision of the "good life". Repacking Your Bags by Richard Leider can help you answer these questions and has tools to help you repack your bag and lighten your load if you find anything lacking. If you are thinking of making any changes in where you work, where you live or with relationships (or all three), I recommend you follow the exercises in this book to make sense of your life and life in an authentic meaningful...more
Dana
According to this book, the average number of moves made by an American is 11. When I move to Dallas, that will be my 12th move -- interesting. This book had a number of good little tidbits, and it emphasized that "repacking your bags" is a lifelong process because change is ongoing. I found it helpful to read right now, as I am moving through a lot of transitions all at one time.
Satia
This book was given to me by someone who apparently thought I needed it. I tried to read it at the time but never got into it. Later, I tried to read it again and the same thing happened. This time I managed to yawn my way through half the book. Then I just stopped. I think this is one self-help book that I didn't read at the right time or simply never really needed to begin with.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
I enjoyed this one more than i thought i would. The last chapters about "getting lost/not getting lost/why _not_ get lost" are actually the best in the book. Never assume you know what's right for somebody else and then make judgements based on that. You never know where they are supposed to travel. Nicely done.
Vineca Gray
A few life coaches write 'parables' very effectively - Robin Sharma comes to mind. Leider/Shapiro have written a very original book that doesn't depend on allegory - even though the title suggests it might. This is straight up - how to shed your old skin and move forward. No nonsense and elegantly written.
Jen
This book seems like it'd be helpful at a number of points in one's life. It was a quick read, with thought-provoking exercises that I plan to go back and do. Maybe because I'm a "process person," I also appreciated the message that the process is more important to focus on than getting to the destination.
Chestelle
A must-read for all who are overwhelmed by the life they have made. Shows you how to live deliberately and happily, shedding the excess baggage of life and getting down to the essentials.
Eric Bell
This book presents a vision of a relatively baggage-free lifestyle. There is some helpful advice for your general reader and is generally well-written. I enjoyed reading the book.
Lyn
I'm reading this for my retreat group that will be getting together in the fall. I really like the metaphors used and feel this is an interesting book about transitions.
Mel
Feb 21, 2011 Mel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: non-fic
Not really what i was looking for but interesting read. Did not read the whole thing, only certain sections. Liked the questions it posed to ask oneself & one's partner.
Vivian
Catchy title, and interesting premise, but the basic premise could be summed up in an magazine article, and probably has been many times.
Amani
What I didn't like about the book is that I felt the information is repeating itself over and over, plus the useless stories.
Ali
I get bored while reading it. At the beginning, was exciting but with the time going on i felt bored.
Lynda
We had his seminar at work and I bought the book there. Excellent.
Hilde Lang
become who you really are
Phyl Burger
Not for me -- not real world.
Rachael
Rachael is currently reading it
Apr 11, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
M
M marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Patti
Patti is currently reading it
Feb 28, 2014
The Power of Purpose: Creating Meaning in Your Life and Work Life Reimagined: Discovering Your New Life Possibilities Claiming Your Place at the Fire: Living the Second Half of Your Life on Purpose The Power of Purpose: Find Meaning, Live Longer, Better Life Skills: Taking Charge Of Your Personal And Professional Growth