Start by marking “Enola Gay: The Bombing of Hiroshima” as Want to Read:
Enola Gay: The Bombing of Hiroshima

Enola Gay: The Bombing of Hiroshima

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  31 reviews
It was quite probably the most important event of World War II. It's consequences were greater than those of any other event of the war. Yet the story of the bombing of Hiroshima, the momentous flight into the future of the B-29 Enola Gay, has never before been revealed from firsthand sources. Here then is a reading experience you will not ever forget, from a book that has ...more
Published June 15th 2006 by Konecky & Konecky (first published January 1st 1977)

Michael Gerald Dealino
With all the atrocities that Japan committed during the Second World War, it is galling for some Japanese lunatics to make Hiroshima as a shrine for peace. Kapal ng mga mukha!

For the record, Japan was THE aggressor of that terrible war. And their atrocities are also for the record: Korea, Manchuria, Nanjing, the Bataan Death March, the Rape of Manila, the mistreatment of Allied POWs.

And Japan had no intention to surrender until the Soviet Union declared war on them and the US delivered the coup
Yong Lee
A fascinating blow by blow account of the atomic bombing mission. A page turner and hard to put down. It's been a long time since I sucked down a book in one day.
Robert Snow
Thomas and Witts have written a page turner and you will be reading this book into the wee hours of the morning. You know how it ends, but the details of the lead up to the mission make this a great book. The one detail I remember vividly is the arming of the Bomb on the way to Hiroshima. You won't be disappointed reading this book!
William Wright
Thomas's book takes you from the first inkling of creating the atom bomb to the actual mission to bomb Hiroshima. He doesn't go into the science of the bomb and only peripherally mentions some of the workings of the Manhattan Project.

The focus is on the training and crew of the 509th with emphasis on the challenges faced by Paul Tibbets, the commander and eventual pilot of the Enola Gay. He also writes of the Japanese personalities working at the same time.

It was an enjoyable read with lots of h
Della Scott
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
I'm so glad that I hung onto this book all these years and finally read it, definitely will be one of my favorite reads of 2012. It was written when Paul Tibbets and many of the other men were still alive and the authors got extensive interviews. They also alternate with what's going on on the American side with major players on the Japanese side. Yes, the Japanese were planning to defend Japan during the upcomin
Tom Schulte
This is really one of the best WWII books I have ever read. In a very modern style, it tells the story from several points of view, cutting back and forth: Tibbet's crew and the 509th Composite Group, the submarine captain that will sink the Indianapolis after it delivers A-Bomb parts, Japanese soldiers and civilans in and around Hiroshima. This also goes into detail on things I only knew of briefly, such as the American POWs in Hiroshima and the (overblown) insanity developed later by an Enola ...more
Joan
This is a detailed description of the preparation for the use of atomic bombs in the Second World War - recounting the time from Sept 1944 until August 1945. The book was written in 1976 and includes interviews with people involved in the organization and mission. The stealth and coordination involved in the project was amazing. Adding an important dimension to the book is the parallel interweaving of what was happening to Japanese at the same time as well as the various avenues of negotiation t ...more
Héctor
ALAMOGORDO, 16 de julio de 1945

Aquella fría mañana de lunes, muchos de los 425 técnicos y científicos reunidos en la zona de pruebas extendían cuidadosamente sobre sus manos y rostros lociones de protección solar, empleando como iluminación los zigzagueantes rayos que intermitentemente quebraban la oscuridad anterior al amanecer. Aunque algunos de ellos se encontraban a 32 km de distancia de su fuente, temían que el destello, cuando llegara, pudiera provocarles quemaduras similares a las de los
Karen
The facts speak for themselves: I couldn't put this book down (when I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it) and when I got to the part where the bomb was dropped, my heart literally started beating faster and my mouth was dry. Not all the parts of the book were quite that intense of course (I felt like it picked up speed as it went) but overall it's a riveting history read and despite being about the atomic bomb, Hiroshima, and WWII, it isn't overwhelmingly disturbing. There are so many el ...more
Mory Mani
It is a great historical book.

I choose this book because I like to know the historical facts. This book provides a good detail of what went on in war against Japan.
Neil Harmon
Straightforward recounting of the events leading up to the 1945 bombing of Hiroshima. The book was written in an interesting style and cut from one person to another in a way that maintained interest and showed different viewpoints of the same time period. The alternating between Tinian and Hiroshima in the final days were especially effective. I'd recommend this book.
Lyn
Překlad R. Pražáka (1984) dělá z čtení této knížky to nejčistší utrpení.
Linda Finger
This book was enlightening and gave you the sense of hearing it directly from the individuals who lived it. It was hard for me to put into context that my husband was born on 8-11-45, only five days after the bomb was dropped. Would love to know what his mother was thinking and feeling at that time. We are a lucky nation to have such 'ordinary men do such extraordinary things. Controversial it' may be to some, to others men performing their duty to their country , and putting its that need befor ...more
richard g roach
First person history

This is a fascinating account if the men of the Manhattan project, and the men of the 509th bomb squadron. The pilots and crews. The story of LTC Paul Tibbets , his leadership, courage, strength of character and courage in the face of hardships and danger are inspirational.

The inclusion of the Japanese people involved in the military, and on the ground adds a fascinating side to the book. The horror of atomic war hits home. This is a must read book.
Joel Ungar
I read the authors Voyage of the Damned a long time ago and really enjoyed it. So when I found this book I had expectations. And they were easily met.

The authors take you along with Col. Tibbets and the rest of his squadron - through training, hellraising and more. The book reads like a novel even if it is based on well documented facts. They also cover both sides of the story including the experiences of Hiroshima survivors.

All in all a good and enjoyable read.
Susan
I was totally prepared to be bored by this book. I am happy to say that my experience was completely opposite. I was glued to this account that gives not only American story, but the Japanese story at the same time. People portrayed in movies became very human in the accounts given. I had several "aha" moments. I would highly recommend this book for high school students and anyone interested in this subject..
Dawn Michelle
This is one of those books that I was WAY to young to read and should now re-read as an adult. But it was so mesmerizing and I was so torn for these guys that had to go and fly this mission. I am sure that at 12 I truly didn't understand the magnitude of it, but I know that it has always stayed with me and people are usually amazed that I have read the book.
Patrick Walsh
I'm not entirely certain why I added this book to my to-read list. I am impressed by the amount of detail that the author includes in his accounts of the development of the bomb, of the selection and training of the squadron that was ultimately tasked with dropping it on Japan, and of daily life in Hiroshima in the months leading up to 6 August 1945.
stormhawk
This was the first book I read on the atomic bomb. It does give some background on the Manhattan Project, but the focus is on the crews who trained for and flew the first atomic mission. I have since read everything I can get my hands on about the early days of nuclear science, but this remains a sentimental favorite.
Daniel Duval
Excellent book on the subject. Compelling exhaustive enjoyable read. The second book I read by Gordon Thomas and Max Morgan Witts, I plan to read many more. My wife made a special effort to get it from the library for me so how could I not read it and like it.
April
Absolutely fascinating. This (if you don't already know) is about the plane that dropped the first A bomb in Japan. It deals mostly with the people involved in the operation and how it effected them on both sides of the Pacific. Fast read and very interesting.
Esteban
Wonderful book about the implication of coordinating such an enormeous task as the first atomic mission. The authors don't make any ethical jugement but their aproach of Hiroshima's daily life helps you understand better the consecuences of Little Boy.
Kerry
This was a riveting story. Enola Gay tells the tale of the atomic bomb. Included are both sides of the story - the U.S.A. and Japan. Contains many details about the events and the people involved. Fantastic book.
Fredrick Danysh
A study of the events leading up to the use of the events leading up to the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. It also takes a look at Colonel Paul Tibbets, the pilot of the bomber Enola Gay.
Patty
Educational and fascinating story of the year leading up to the dropping of the atomic bomb on Japan. Well written, easy read.
Lew
A good account of the events leading up to the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. Easy reading not dry history.
Alice
It's definitely a quick decent read about the run-up to the atomic bomb.
Gina Herald
It made me proud to be an American. And proud of our military heroes.
Victoria
Impressive. (Don't say I didn't warn you about my WWII obsession.)
Eugene
Great book on a very historic event. Lots of detail.
  • Bodyguard of Lies: The Extraordinary True Story Behind D-Day
  • The Murrow Boys: Pioneers on the Front Lines of Broadcast Journalism
  • Watergate: The Corruption of American Politics and the Fall of Richard Nixon
  • The Warren Commission Report: The Official Report of the President's Commission on the Assassination of President John F. Kennedy
  • Raid on the Sun: Inside Israel's Secret Campaign that Denied Saddam the Bomb
  • Brothers, Rivals, Victors: Eisenhower, Patton, Bradley and the Partnership that Drove the Allied Conquest in Europe
  • At Dawn We Slept: The Untold Story of Pearl Harbor
  • The Grand Alliance (The Second World War, #3)
  • Yeager: An Autobiography
  • God Is My Co-Pilot
  • Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
  • The Battle for the Falklands
  • Kennedy and Nixon: The Rivalry That Shaped Postwar America
  • Most Secret War
  • Summer for the Gods: The Scopes Trial & America's Continuing Debate Over Science & Religion
  • The Wild Duck Chase
  • Baa Baa Black Sheep
  • The Generals: American Military Command from World War II to Today
Gordon Thomas (born 1933) is a Welsh author who has written more than fifty books.
Thomas was born in Wales, in a cemetery keeper's cottage where his grandmother lived. He had his first story published at nine years old in a Boy's Own Paper competition. With his father in the RAF, he traveled widely and was educated at the Cairo High School, the Maritz Brothers (in Port Elizabeth, South Africa) and
More about Gordon Thomas...
Gideon's Spies: The Secret History of the Mossad (Updated) Voyage of the Damned Secret Wars: One Hundred Years of British Intelligence Inside MI5 and MI6 The Day the Bubble Burst: A Social History of the Wall Street Crash of 1929 Journey into Madness: The True Story of Secret CIA Mind Control & Medical Abuse

“At 5:29:45, everything happened at once. But it was too fast for the watchers to distinguish: no human eye can separate millionths of a second; no human brain can record such a fraction of time. No one, therefore, saw the actual first flash of cosmic fire. What they saw was its dazzling reflection on surrounding hills. It was, in the words of the observer from The New York Times:” 0 likes